Author Topic: THE WALKING DEAD - SEASON 5  (Read 87281 times)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE WALKING DEAD - SEASON 5
« Reply #735 on: March 16, 2015, 10:46:28 AM »
The last few episodes have been top notch!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #736 on: March 16, 2015, 11:06:55 AM »
This was a mostly awesome episode. The action was great, a lot of cool character stuff, and some really effective dramatic moments.

A week or two back I was planning on typing this long complaint about the deaths on the show. I typed a few sentances but then changed my mind. It was essentially about how so many deaths seem to be when a character is done with his part of the story and they just need to off someone. What makes Noah's death better is that they killed him when they had just set up potential for the character, instead of just having him ramble some cheesy story from his past. So that was good, even though I wish that they had set it up a bit earlier, like last week or something. That would make it less out of nowhere, and seem like more of a plan.

All of that also applies to Deanna's son. He had been portrayed as a douche, but this episode showed potential for turning around and being a good man. That made his death more of an impact for me. And I was really expecting his still-douche friend to die, and it was a welcome avoidance of cliche that he didn't.

Though why is Rick killing Pete "the only way it can go"? That is not at all the first thing that would come to my mind. So one minus point for that, but otherwise really good episode.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #737 on: March 16, 2015, 11:13:11 AM »
Though why is Rick killing Pete "the only way it can go"? That is not at all the first thing that would come to my mind.
I was just coming here to ask the same question.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #738 on: March 16, 2015, 11:20:42 AM »
In context, I think the fact she thought it was the only way was kind of the point of that statement.
It showed how hardened life on the outside has made her, and how she/they are possibly too far gone to assimilate into this seemingly great society.
It also fits with the fact she and her kid put up with the same abuse from her husband at the start of the series, so she knows what that family are dealing with. It fits with her killing the girl, and killing the sick people. She does what she think needs to be done to guarantee the safety of herself and those around her.

Rick didn't really react, so it will be interesting to see how that goes.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: March 16, 2015, 11:46:28 AM »
In context, I think the fact she thought it was the only way was kind of the point of that statement.
It showed how hardened life on the outside has made her, and how she/they are possibly too far gone to assimilate into this seemingly great society.
It also fits with the fact she and her kid put up with the same abuse from her husband at the start of the series, so she knows what that family are dealing with. It fits with her killing the girl, and killing the sick people. She does what she think needs to be done to guarantee the safety of herself and those around her.

Rick didn't really react, so it will be interesting to see how that goes.

I think you're spot on with regard to Carol; the writers are really doing awesome things with her character.

Rick didn't react verbally... but I think he produced enough PSI on his lower jaw to compress a solid aluminum block.  Did you see those teeth grinding when Carol told him what Pete is up too?
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: March 16, 2015, 12:10:56 PM »
Speaking of that part, I thought it was really interesting that Carol felt she had to abdicate responsibility of 'taking care' of the situation to Rick. Was it because she's learned to defer to him in order to stay with the group or was the situation so close to home that she suddenly felt vulnerable again? I'd say she looked vulnerable for the first time in a long time.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #741 on: March 16, 2015, 12:14:15 PM »
Carol is awesome. I'm so glad to see that her character developed so much over the seasons. Man, that revolving door scene..

Everybody Ate Chris.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #742 on: March 16, 2015, 12:27:56 PM »
Speaking of that part, I thought it was really interesting that Carol felt she had to abdicate responsibility of 'taking care' of the situation to Rick. Was it because she's learned to defer to him in order to stay with the group or was the situation so close to home that she suddenly felt vulnerable again? I'd say she looked vulnerable for the first time in a long time.

Melissa McBride did such a great job of 'changing' her persona once she realized what was going on. No longer the tough and rugged person that has been forged by the world around her. She 'felt' like the Carol of yesteryear....a bit timid and you could sense her frailty almost. Certainly could have something to do with why she ran to Rick with the problem rather than just off the dude while he walked around drunk at night.

Still loving the Abraham scene of him just kicking some  :censored   It was good to see that in the show given how awesome his Comic Book character is....I've felt like the show hasn't been doing him justice unitl last nights episode. Even standing on the loader above everyone else at the end giving the pep talk....

Still can't figure out how/why those rifle rounds that Deanna's son were firing at the face shield riot gear weren't penetrating it? Those aren't bullet proof? Seemed silly to me....that whole sequence. I know it was more or less designed to show that his inexperience led to his death....but still....

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #743 on: March 16, 2015, 12:49:14 PM »
EDIT:  Did they seriously just kill off Noah so they could bring Morgan in and maintain the black guy quota??? Fuck.

This. I definitely think we'll see Morgan next week. Though personally I don't think he'll stay very long.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: March 16, 2015, 12:55:00 PM »
EDIT:  Did they seriously just kill off Noah so they could bring Morgan in and maintain the black guy quota??? Fuck.

This. I definitely think we'll see Morgan next week. Though personally I don't think he'll stay very long.

That'd be such a waste of a cool character and great actor if he were a 4 or 5 episode only return character. I'd prefer it if he didn't return then.....just show him periodically wandering around or something....

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: March 16, 2015, 12:59:49 PM »
The last few episodes have been top notch!

Yeah....it's been so long since I read this story arc of the comic I honestly don't remember all that well what happened.....and have purposfully not re-read it yet as to be 'surprised' at how this all unfolds. They've (the writers and actors) definately cranked it up a notch for the closing episodes this year.....

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #746 on: March 16, 2015, 01:46:35 PM »

That'd be such a waste of a cool character and great actor if he were a 4 or 5 episode only return character. I'd prefer it if he didn't return then.....just show him periodically wandering around or something....

Well if this season ends how I think it's going to end...
*Comic spoilers. Read at your own risk.*
I think Morgan will come back at the end of next week's episode, being found by Daryl and Aaron. The first bit of the Finale will be about him and his travels and Rick trying to convince Deanna to let him join the group. Meanwhile Daryl and Aaron are out on another run, and they see the scavengers/"Wolves". They unintentionally lead them back to Alexandria.
The scavengers/"Wolves" show up. The ensuing fight between the 2 groups attracts a giant herd of walkers who manage to get into the safe zone. In the confusion, Carl gets shot in the eye, several others die(Including Jessie, Pete, Sam, Deanna, her Husband, and several redshirts. Maybe a couple main characters), and Morgan gets bit. The season ends with Rick putting Morgan down and he assumes leadership of Alexandria.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: March 16, 2015, 01:56:40 PM »
I think Morgan will come back at the end of next week's episode, being found by Daryl and Aaron. The first bit of the Finale will be about him and his travels and Rick trying to convince Deanna to let him join the group. Meanwhile Daryl and Aaron are out on another run, and they see the scavengers/"Wolves". They unintentionally lead them back to Alexandria.
The scavengers/"Wolves" show up. The ensuing fight between the 2 groups attracts a giant herd of walkers who manage to get into the safe zone. In the confusion, Carl gets shot in the eye, several others die(Including Jessie, Pete, Sam, Deanna, her Husband, and several redshirts. Maybe a couple main characters), and Morgan gets bit. The season ends with Rick putting Morgan down and he assumes leadership of Alexandria.

That sounds like a good way to round out the season. I can't recall all the details of this arc of the comic....I remember there is a breach in the wall and that Walkers are all over but I had forgotten how that happened. the scenario you propose makes sense though....but I could see them 'saving' Jesse on the show and letting her and Rick get a bit closer than a one night stand.....

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #748 on: March 17, 2015, 12:27:51 AM »

That sounds like a good way to round out the season. I can't recall all the details of this arc of the comic....I remember there is a breach in the wall and that Walkers are all over but I had forgotten how that happened. the scenario you propose makes sense though....but I could see them 'saving' Jesse on the show and letting her and Rick get a bit closer than a one night stand.....

And to further solidify my theory that the scavengers = the wolves, the first time the scavengers show up at Alexandria in the comics, their leader says "little pig, little pig, let me in"
Obviously a reference to The three little pigs and the big bad WOLF.
Theory = Confirmed, I'd say.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #749 on: March 17, 2015, 10:35:09 AM »
I liked the episode, but I can't help but giggle at the fact that this episode was basically the "we have too many characters so lets kill a few off" episode. I feel slightly bad for Noah, but I think we all could see this coming. One black character dies, a new one enters. What are the odds we get to see Morgan in the next episode?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: March 17, 2015, 10:48:27 AM »
I liked the episode, but I can't help but giggle at the fact that this episode was basically the "we have too many characters so lets kill a few off" episode. I

I felt that was needed, and actually feel I could go for another episodes of killing off characters.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #751 on: March 17, 2015, 11:11:18 AM »
I liked the episode, but I can't help but giggle at the fact that this episode was basically the "we have too many characters so lets kill a few off" episode. I feel slightly bad for Noah, but I think we all could see this coming. One black character dies, a new one enters. What are the odds we get to see Morgan in the next episode?

I think that Daryl and Aaron find him while on a run next week. Probably won't see him till the end of the episode though.

You know what I find funny? Morgan has only appeared in 4 episodes in the whole series, 2 of which he didn't have a single line, and yet he's one the most popular characters on the show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: March 17, 2015, 11:17:27 AM »
I liked the episode, but I can't help but giggle at the fact that this episode was basically the "we have too many characters so lets kill a few off" episode. I

I felt that was needed, and actually feel I could go for another episodes of killing off characters.

Yeah....it was needed. IMO there are way too many 'safe' characters on the show. Rick, Carl and Michonee should be the only mainstays......everyone else should have a limited shelf life.

You know what I find funny? Morgan has only appeared in 4 episodes in the whole series, 2 of which he didn't have a single line, and yet he's one the most popular characters on the show.

I think it has to do with how he essentially 'saved' Rick and got him up to speed on the world.....and the fact that Rick has never forgotten that and reveres him so much. Plus, his character and the acting in 'Clear' is still one of the greatest performances the show has seen.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #753 on: March 17, 2015, 11:20:27 AM »

Is he?
I would think the only interest in him was because he was there at the start, and curiosity due to how little we've seen him. I'm interested to see what his upcoming involvement is, but I can't say he's done enough to make me really love his character.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: March 17, 2015, 11:21:34 AM »

Is he?
I would think the only interest in him was because he was there at the start. I'm curious to see what his upcoming involvement is, but I can't say he's done enough to make me really love his character.

I only like him because he was a bad ass post apocalyptic character in Jericho as well. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #755 on: March 17, 2015, 11:25:49 AM »
I only like him because he was a bad ass post apocalyptic character in Jericho as well.

:metal

Was so bummed when that show ended without a proper goodbye.....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #756 on: March 17, 2015, 12:17:45 PM »

:metal

Was so bummed when that show ended without a proper goodbye.....

Yup, that show was really good! The DVD had an alternate ending that had a slightly better goodbye but still unsatisfactory.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: March 17, 2015, 12:57:30 PM »
One of my absolute favourite shows ever. Brilliant stuff.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #758 on: March 17, 2015, 01:46:15 PM »
I didn't like the acting of Morgan in Clear. He was good in the pilot, but Clear...

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: March 17, 2015, 02:02:24 PM »
I didn't like the acting of Morgan in Clear. He was good in the pilot, but Clear...

Really? I thought he did a pretty good job of showing the mindset of a Husband who had lost his wife and a Father who had tragically lost his son....and that he was on the brink of insanity or maybe even temporarily insane due to the culmination of all that had happened to him....

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #760 on: March 17, 2015, 02:12:46 PM »
I don't know, he just wasn't very believable. Not that I've interacted with crazies before, but I just didn't buy it.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #761 on: March 17, 2015, 11:05:43 PM »
My greatest fear is that Daryl gets it in the finale. Rumor has it that he has too many film projects lined up and doesn't have the time. That could be a marketing ploy to tune us all into the finale; but the guest list on the finale of the Talking Dead is allegedly, Reedus, Nicotero, Gimple AND Kirkman. Again, just a rumor. 
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #762 on: March 17, 2015, 11:07:56 PM »
Well I feel like Daryl has not done a whole lot in this past season and if he ends up dying, I'd be okay with that. I like his character, but I don't think he's one of the top characters on the show at this point. Carol, IMO, is the most interesting character alongside Rick.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #763 on: March 17, 2015, 11:50:45 PM »
In terms of characters, this show isn't very strong, so I'd say that Rick and Glenn are the only two I really care for. Carol is good, but I wouldn't be upset if she died.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #764 on: March 18, 2015, 02:43:57 AM »
Darryl hasn't done that much this season, so if he does indeed end up "getting it", then I'd probably be okay with it. Personally I would love to see more Glenn, and I hope his role gets even bigger. Probably my favorite character after Rick.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: March 18, 2015, 03:58:04 AM »
I was thinking if any of the main characters goes it would be Glenn.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #766 on: March 18, 2015, 06:22:57 AM »
Another great episode.

- RIP Noah. What a horrible death. That revolving door scene was freaking intense.

- Peter is a mega douche. I think he means well, but the booze is not doing him any favors.

- Carol annoyed me this episode. I think the writers were trying way too hard. "We need to kill him". Carol, please, there are many other options. I get she was in an abusive relationship, but still. You bring him to trial before the town and vote on whether or not to banish him. Build a jail cell. I don't know. It just seems like deciding to kill by default is a little much, even for where Carol's character has gone.

- Carl's girlfriend has been MIA for two episodes.

- Peter's son is defintely going to go. Carol is going to watch and feel even worse about it.

- Maggie really isn't doing much this season, and neither is Daryl. I hope they come back into play before the season ends.

- Abraham is a fucking beast and is now 100% my favorite character on the show. I liked him since we met him, but this episode sealed the deal.

- Eugene.... I really like Eugene. I've liked him since we met him as well. I'm glad he stepped up and finally grew a pair. He's totally going to nail Tara. I know she's a lesbian and all, but I think she's going to do him a favor. We'll find out he's a virgin and she'll pretend his dick is just a vibrator.

- Gabriel. Oh Gabriel. You piece of stupid shit fuck. Those people saved your ass about a half dozen times and you are saying that shit? I hope he gets torn limb from limb. Maggie is definitely not going to keep her mouth shut about that.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #767 on: March 18, 2015, 06:57:12 AM »
I think Carol's reasoning for wanting to kill him right off the bat is to simply keep the bad people out of an otherwise good community. They've dealt with enough psychos and assholes. Living in such a world means they have to do certain things they normally wouldn't do In order to survive.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: March 18, 2015, 08:54:11 AM »
It does kind of feel like one of the 'big' characters is going to be killed off. It just seems that with this shift in the shows climate....this new beginning of sorts that a shake up of characters is on the way. I think I'm well on record as welcoming that type of thing given the characters that are to come in the future.....I just hope that if it is Daryl or Glenn or whomever.....that the 'death' is a 'good' one....that it means something or gives them a good proper send off.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #769 on: March 18, 2015, 09:13:03 AM »
My money is on Glenn and Maggie at the same time.