Author Topic: THE WALKING DEAD - SEASON 5  (Read 86538 times)

Online fadetoblackdude7

Re: THE WALKING DEAD - SEASON 5
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2014, 11:32:14 PM »
AMAZING episode, I seriously think this will be the best season yet, and I've never said that about any of the others.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2014, 11:53:12 PM »
That at the end looked like the show subtly introducing a big bad from the comics, that alone has my interest.

Good start to the season.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2014, 12:00:18 AM »
That at the end looked like the show subtly introducing a big bad from the comics, that alone has my interest.

Which scene are you referring to? I don't really recall Morgan being much of a big bad  :lol

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2014, 12:01:30 AM »

Which scene are you referring to? I don't really recall Morgan being much of a big bad  :lol
You could be right, but the dude that hit Gareth and said something like "lol you're fucked" had a hint of Negan.

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw that Kirkman say it wasn't him on Twitter.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2014, 12:07:43 AM »

You could be right, but the dude that hit Gareth and said something like "lol you're fucked" had a hint of Negan.

Oh that was definitely not Negan.
Scott Gimple and Greg Nicotero explained that on Talking dead. Remember the guy that Glenn freed from the traincar? That was the guy from the flashback at the end. When Gareth and Co. reclaimed Terminus, they locked him in a train car. It did remind me slightly of him, but it wasn't. I wouldn't expect to see him till Mid S6.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2014, 12:15:56 AM »
I do not remember that or the guy. :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2014, 02:17:16 AM »
Glad to see such positive reviews! Starts tonight in the UK. :caffeine:

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2014, 07:45:20 AM »
I don't have much else to add other than that episode was the shit and my wife and I both cried at that one particular scene in the forest near the end.  Fuck yeah.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2014, 08:18:29 AM »

Oh that was definitely not Negan.
Scott Gimple and Greg Nicotero explained that on Talking dead. Remember the guy that Glenn freed from the traincar? That was the guy from the flashback at the end. When Gareth and Co. reclaimed Terminus, they locked him in a train car. It did remind me slightly of him, but it wasn't. I wouldn't expect to see him till Mid S6.

That wasn't Neegan. It was Morgan.....the guy from Season 1 with the son who took Rick in and nursed him back to health.....and the Man from the episode 'Clear' who Rick ran across again when he returned to his home town. There is a LOT of story to tell before Neegan would come in to play.....I think Mid S6 is a bit too soon actually.....depending on how quickly the escalate the story.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2014, 08:23:32 AM »
Great start, loved the episode.
I didn't get the "THEN" stuff that happened twice in the episode, I understand they're flashbacks but I don't get the idea behind them, it's not like I'm gonna sympathize with the Terminus people just because they got attacked by bad people before they took over and started slaughtering people in tubs after luring them in with a promise of sanctuary. Or did I get that all wrong?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2014, 08:23:50 AM »
I know who Morgan is and I didn't mean the "after credits scene" but the one towards the end where the Terminus people where in the train car and a guy came in. Anyway, Kirkman said it wasn't Negan.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2014, 08:24:47 AM »
That episode was awesome and quite satisfying.  I lol'd quite a bit at Morgan showing up at the end, that was great.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2014, 08:39:29 AM »
I know who Morgan is and I didn't mean the "after credits scene" but the one towards the end where the Terminus people where in the train car and a guy came in. Anyway, Kirkman said it wasn't Negan.

Oh...gotcha....

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2014, 10:09:26 AM »
I think Carol is my favourite character in the show at this point. The only ones who would give her serious competition are Rick or Daryl.

This episode was on par with the best they've done. Best action episode since Internment, at least.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2014, 11:09:27 AM »
This show continues to fuck with my brain. All in all, I thought it was a good episode and I liked it for the most part. But then there are the problems. Like how the episode had a really great start, and then they cut away from what's happening to show boring walk in the forest/nothing happening for 5 minutes. Once the shenanigans started happening, you don't cut away from it. Leave it in one huge chunk of action and suspense happening all at once, it gets more effective that way. The cutting from action and stuff happening to boring nothingness in a cabin was really jarring.

I would also have loved some more build-up of the escape, and a more classic approach of Rick and the others carefully collecting some items from inside the camp and planning their break-out. That could have been special. Instead Rambo, erm I mean Carrol just shows up and that was Deus Ex Machina at a whole new level. But to touch on something good instead, I thought the re-union scenes at the end were really nice and rewarding. For the most part the emotional parts of the show fall flat, but in this case it really worked. Some really nice ideas, like the break-out and all the chaos, but some of the execution was questionable for me.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2014, 11:29:49 AM »
Carol's been through a lot, but can definitely hold her own. Just watch The Mist.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2014, 12:01:59 PM »
Remember back in seasons 2 and 3 when everyone wanted Carol to be killed off?
 :rollin

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2014, 12:06:16 PM »
Remember back in seasons 2 and 3 when everyone wanted Carol to be killed off?
 :rollin

Well, that's what happens when you have a showrunner who actually gives a fuck. He progresses the characters. Carol was pretty useless for a while. Imagine if Gimple was writing and running the show way back when. Andrea might not have been so annoying and still be alive.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2014, 12:20:26 PM »
I liked the episode too. Best one in a long time. I just hope they can keep it going for 16 episodes. I mean, I don't expect every episode to be as good as a season premiere, but it would be nice to retain some of the quality that seemed to be mostly lost on last season.

And as always, some of the less than good CGI pulled me out of the episode. Nothing major, just something I wanted to mention since no one else seems to have.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2014, 12:20:59 PM »
Yeah but that's the general mentality of people. Make any character a badass who kills things and blows shit up, and the general audience will like them. Give that character trait to Carl and people won't dislike him anymore. Sure, I agree that Carol is better now than she was, but it's kinda easy to identify why people like characters like Darryl, Carol, and also Rick now that he stopped being a farmer and takes care of business.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2014, 12:26:36 PM »
I don't think I can ever like Carl.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2014, 01:52:39 PM »
Agree with with most of what's been said already. Really great episode

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2014, 06:03:43 PM »
I don't think I can ever like Carl.

Ditto  :smiley:   But as I was told earlier, he is not going anywhere.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2014, 07:36:15 PM »
Incredible episode  :metal

And I knew when they lined up anonymous people over the tub, who was gonna get it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2014, 10:15:42 PM »

And I knew when they lined up anonymous people over the tub, who was gonna get it.

I didn't realize it at the time and didn't know until I watched 'The Talking Dead'....but the first one to get the bat to the head there was the 'hippie' kid that Rick gave the watch to when he 'kicked' Carol out of the group.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2014, 10:45:31 PM »
That was a pretty good episode. As much as I bitch and complain about this show, it is nice to have it back. It's like a good bowl of ice cream; not very good for you, but delicious.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2014, 04:50:20 AM »
In Talking Dead they talked about how the next episode will be a lot of bantering and internal conflicts within the group, and that has me worried. Drama and tension can be a great tool, but when this show has attempted to slow down and focus on the human interactions before, we've gotten material like Season 2. I hope it's better executed this time. The group is bigger than in a long time, and I fully understand not everyone will get along and that people will argue, but it all depends on execution.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2014, 05:50:28 AM »

I didn't realize it at the time and didn't know until I watched 'The Talking Dead'....but the first one to get the bat to the head there was the 'hippie' kid that Rick gave the watch to when he 'kicked' Carol out of the group.
He's playing Penguin on Gotham now. Nice promotion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2014, 07:27:29 AM »

Definitely didn't catch that the first time. Very cool connection.

God, I love this show  :heart

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2014, 07:56:36 AM »
In Talking Dead they talked about how the next episode will be a lot of bantering and internal conflicts within the group, and that has me worried. Drama and tension can be a great tool, but when this show has attempted to slow down and focus on the human interactions before, we've gotten material like Season 2. I hope it's better executed this time. The group is bigger than in a long time, and I fully understand not everyone will get along and that people will argue, but it all depends on execution.

That'd have me worried if it were Mazzera still at the helm. But Gimple really has done a great job in righting the ship so I'll trust his direction. Even last season all the 'side' stories and internal strife came full circle and had a purpose.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2014, 09:47:09 AM »
Well, season 2 is my favorite season, and I pretty much disliked everything about last season. Does that mean that I should be worried about next episode?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2014, 09:58:31 AM »
Well, season 2 is my favorite season, and I pretty much disliked everything about last season. Does that mean that I should be worried about next episode?

Well let me start by saying I don't think I've ever been utterly disappointed in the show period. There have been instances where I thought they've spent time and energy on some characters that really didn't need the attention....but all in all I've been satisfied with TWD.

That being said.....my favorite episodes have been written by Gimple and I've enjoyed the show much more since he's taken over and directed the overall show back towards the comic book storyline....or as he states....he weaves it in and out of the comic book storyline. Mazzera just took it too far off base. I get that they are two different entities but you can't just take it off the rails completely....which I think Mazzera did by butchering the Governor 'story' and dragging out storylines that could have been summed up in an episode or two. I really would have liked to seen how Gimple would have handled the Governor story arc....anyway.

It sounds as if you were more of a fan of the direction Mazzera took it so....maybe you should be worried  :lol

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2014, 10:05:50 AM »
Well, as I said I really liked season 2, but season 3 wasn't all that good, but still better than 4... so I don't really know. Maybe it helps/antihelps (?) that I haven't read the comics.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2014, 11:40:55 AM »
Maybe it helps/antihelps (?) that I haven't read the comics.

I had never even heard of the Graphic Novel/Comic until the show. After Season 2 I bought the first two Compendiums of the Comics and then bought the subsequent issues after they are released. I enjoy both the TV show and the Graphic Novel. "Knowing" what happens doesn't spoil the show at all because through it all it's been just enough diversion from the comic to where you never can tell if they are or aren't going to do something on the show from the novel.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2014, 05:31:58 PM »

Definitely didn't catch that the first time. Very cool connection.

God, I love this show  :heart

I missed that as well...he seemed like a nice guy ... you were left thinking he was dead in that episode after he didn't meet up with Rick and Carol.

Feel free to talk about The Talking Dead... viewing by anyone in Australia is blocked.  :sad:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 10:20:42 PM by lucky7 »