Author Topic: THE WALKING DEAD - SEASON 5  (Read 86554 times)

Offline Mr. Ister

Re: THE WALKING DEAD - SEASON 5
« Reply #245 on: November 17, 2014, 08:03:47 AM »
Yep, next week looks to be a snoozefest before the interesting stuff happens at the hospital.  Good episode though.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #246 on: November 17, 2014, 08:58:52 AM »
I liked the episode. Sure the 'balls to the wall' episodes are a bit more appealing but as far as a 'slow' episode goes....I enjoyed the way it was presented and how you got to see how Carol handled everything. I liked the symbolism behind the 'smoke' theme she kept encountering....I took it as her past being removed and that she can indeed get a fresh start. Also, when that childhood abuse book fell out when she and Daryl were arguing....did that fall out of Daryl's pack? I thought it did....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #247 on: November 17, 2014, 09:20:18 AM »
pretty sure that was Daryl's, considering his past.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #248 on: November 17, 2014, 09:41:41 AM »
When did Daryl talk about being beaten?  I don't remember that.
Throw them a rag
Whale!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: November 17, 2014, 09:55:44 AM »

He talked about it when him and Merle got in that argument after they had left the prison for that short time.....

pretty sure that was Daryl's, considering his past.

I thought so....plus the look he had on his face when he saw that Carol had seen it....

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: November 17, 2014, 10:00:44 AM »
I like last night's episode.  But did anyone else notice that the van took a nosedive off the bridge, but instead landed bottom first?  It looked like a filming error to me.  Loved the episode focusing on Carol, but I can't believe they went a third episode without Rick, Carl and Micchone.  They need to stop focusing entire episodes on single groups, in my opinion.  I need more Rick, in particular.  That being said, I did like last night's episode.     
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: November 17, 2014, 10:30:37 AM »
I like last night's episode.  But did anyone else notice that the van took a nosedive off the bridge, but instead landed bottom first?  It looked like a filming error to me.  Loved the episode focusing on Carol, but I can't believe they went a third episode without Rick, Carl and Micchone.  They need to stop focusing entire episodes on single groups, in my opinion.  I need more Rick, in particular.  That being said, I did like last night's episode.     

That was a bit....odd?? Especially considering the vans trajectory they showed it leaving the bridge on....I'd have thought a nose first impact at least, maybe even landing upside down?? Oh well....I can forgive that one.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #252 on: November 17, 2014, 10:37:57 AM »
This episode was a typical Walking Dead-filler episode IMO. "Nothing really happens for 30 minutes and then there's some interesting stuff at the end" sums it up pretty well. Don't get me wrong, there were some interesting aspects, like seeing more of a big city instead of country side, but all in all the first 15-20 minutes were incredibly slow and painful IMO.

I can forgive thin characters, weak writing and nothing happening sometimes, but one thing this show often does, that really angers me is that it ends with a twist or a climax, and then it isn't resolved until 4-5 episodes later. First you have the twist with Darryl coming out of the bushes at the church with Noah. We know that it is Noah, but we haven't gotten the continuation of that story yet. And when was that cliffhanger/twist? 3 episodes ago? Similar with Beth and the hospital, instead of continuing the plot twists or cliffhangers they set up, they waste so much time going back in time and showing us events that aren't all that interesting. I think in most situations you should follow a somewhat linear storytelling, if you end episode 1 with a cliffhanger, people want to get right into that when episode 2 comes. I can understand taking a de-tour for an episode if you have good reason, but TWD setting up plot twists and cliffhangers in episode 3-4 which won't get resolved until 5-6 episodes later just feels like a huge "fuck you".

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #253 on: November 17, 2014, 10:40:44 AM »
yeah, that landing was very odd.

Two funny moments from the episode, 1) the zombies landing on the van after the crash, and 2) Daryl's comment when they found the sleeping bag/camping tent zombies - something to the effect of "I don't even know what to think anymore".

ok, maybe one more, when Daryl said that painting looked like a dog sat in paint then wiped its butt on the canvas.
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #254 on: November 17, 2014, 10:44:13 AM »
it ends with a twist or a climax, and then it isn't resolved until 4-5 episodes later. First you have the twist with Darryl coming out of the bushes at the church with Noah. We know that it is Noah, but we haven't gotten the continuation of that story yet. And when was that cliffhanger/twist? 3 episodes ago? Similar with Beth and the hospital, instead of continuing the plot twists or cliffhangers they set up, they waste so much time going back in time and showing us events that aren't all that interesting. I think in most situations you should follow a somewhat linear storytelling, if you end episode 1 with a cliffhanger, people want to get right into that when episode 2 comes. I can understand taking a de-tour for an episode if you have good reason, but TWD setting up plot twists and cliffhangers in episode 3-4 which won't get resolved until 5-6 episodes later just feels like a huge "fuck you".

didn't Lost do this a lot as well?  Can't really remember since it was a few years back, but it seems like it.
Winger would be better!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #255 on: November 17, 2014, 10:47:39 AM »
it ends with a twist or a climax, and then it isn't resolved until 4-5 episodes later. First you have the twist with Darryl coming out of the bushes at the church with Noah. We know that it is Noah, but we haven't gotten the continuation of that story yet. And when was that cliffhanger/twist? 3 episodes ago? Similar with Beth and the hospital, instead of continuing the plot twists or cliffhangers they set up, they waste so much time going back in time and showing us events that aren't all that interesting. I think in most situations you should follow a somewhat linear storytelling, if you end episode 1 with a cliffhanger, people want to get right into that when episode 2 comes. I can understand taking a de-tour for an episode if you have good reason, but TWD setting up plot twists and cliffhangers in episode 3-4 which won't get resolved until 5-6 episodes later just feels like a huge "fuck you".

didn't Lost do this a lot as well?  Can't really remember since it was a few years back, but it seems like it.

Lost did similar things, sometimes having 1 episode or so in between, but TWD is taking it to a whole new level. Also, people were afraid that the conflict with the cannibals would be the big thing this season, but it looks like Woodbury 2.0 will take up the rest of the first half at least.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: November 17, 2014, 10:53:30 AM »
I think the way they've handled it is really due to the fact that they are trying to satisfy every character arc. Me personally....I wouldn't mind a strictly Rick/Carl group centered show that rarely deviated from them. But they've built these characters and are trying to continue to do so....so you have them trying to encorporate each story arc in a creative way. Sure it's a bummer to wait 3 or 4 episodes to 'get back' to Rick/Carl/Michonee.....but I don't see how going forward they can continue to tell the story of 8, 9...10 different 'main' characters without doing what they've been doing.

It's not a perfect solution but I don't thing it's going anywhere anytime soon.

but it looks like Woodbury 2.0 will take up the rest of the first half at least.

I think it's a safe bet that the hospital resolution is the mid-season finale. From what I've read/hear.....the second half of the season introduces a major story/location from the comics so I'm good with just knowing/anticipating what's coming.

All in all I've enjoyed the season immensly thus far.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #257 on: November 17, 2014, 10:55:33 AM »
I bet they made the van land bottom-first just so that they could have that walker-landing-on-the-windshield-shot. And while that was an entertaining shot, they shouldn't have made such an obvious continuity error to fit it. The editor must have been pulling his hair out when he was given that footage.

I enjoyed the episode though. Like I've said numerous times before, this season does slow episodes so much better than last season.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: November 17, 2014, 11:11:39 AM »
this season does slow episodes so much better than last season.

Pretty much this. The 'slow' episodes are at least good and watchable.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #259 on: November 17, 2014, 12:40:04 PM »
I also loved the little nods to Season 1 in this episode. Like the shot of Carol and Daryl driving down I-85 into the City mirroring the iconic poster from Season 1.
Hell, they were even in the same lane as Rick was when he arrived

He talked about it when him and Merle got in that argument after they had left the prison for that short time.....

This leads to me another theory...
What is Negan is Merle and Daryl's dad?

Also, the title of the Mid-Season Finale is entitled "Coda". And of course, it wouldn't bee a MSF without someone dying...

**MAJOR major spoilers about the MSF. You have been warned**:  Beth dies. I don't know how, or under what circumstances, but she does.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: November 17, 2014, 12:46:38 PM »
This leads to me another theory...
What is Negan is Merle and Daryl's dad?

They'd have to increase his show age considerably from the comic book.....he isn't old enough in the comic to be their Dad

Also, the title of the Mid-Season Finale is entitled "Coda". And of course, it wouldn't bee a MSF without someone dying...

**MAJOR major spoilers about the MSF. You have been warned**:  Beth dies. I don't know how, or under what circumstances, but she does.

How are you so certain?? Emily Kinney is credited for the whole season 5. I guess she could be in some future flashbacks though....

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: November 17, 2014, 12:54:51 PM »

How are you so certain?? Emily Kinney is credited for the whole season 5. I guess she could be in some future flashbacks though....

The Spoiling Dead Fans on Facebook. Their spoilers have always been 100% correct since season 3, so I have no reason to doubt them now, but you never know..
Lori was also credited for all of Season 3. Hershel was credited for Season 4. It means nothing. Main cast members can die anytime. Just like Bob 3 episodes back.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: November 17, 2014, 01:07:10 PM »

The Spoiling Dead Fans on Facebook. Their spoilers have always been 100% correct since season 3, so I have no reason to doubt them now, but you never know..
Lori was also credited for all of Season 3. Hershel was credited for Season 4. It means nothing. Main cast members can die anytime. Just like Bob 3 episodes back.

Well it makes sense....I mean on one hand TWD producers 'satisfy' the appetite they've created by killing off a 'main' cast member.....and on the other hand it's "only" Beth....a character who doesn't really mean a whole heck of a lot. I'm sure it'll be some scene where her and Maggie are holding one another or something....anyway.....

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: November 17, 2014, 01:15:11 PM »
Well it makes sense....I mean on one hand TWD producers 'satisfy' the appetite they've created by killing off a 'main' cast member.....and on the other hand it's "only" Beth....a character who doesn't really mean a whole heck of a lot. I'm sure it'll be some scene where her and Maggie are holding one another or something....anyway.....

Emily also hasn't been seen on set since the filming for the MSF back in August...
This isn't a spoiler and I have no proof to back this up, but I think Carol kills Beth. I don't know how or why, but it's just a theory.

What if somehow Carol got amnesia from getting hit by that car? That would be an interesting route we don't really see in most Zombie fiction..

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: November 17, 2014, 01:22:47 PM »
What if somehow Carol got amnesia from getting hit by that car? That would be an interesting route we don't really see in most Zombie fiction..

As interesting as that sounds....I don't think I'd have the patience for that whole deal to play out. That could get real annoying....real quick.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #265 on: November 17, 2014, 01:33:01 PM »
Usually amnesia following a brain injury clears up within hours to days, and is usually specific to events surrounding the accident, not distant memories.  That would be a big turn-off for me.
Throw them a rag
Whale!

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: November 17, 2014, 05:42:01 PM »
Great episode....one thing I found funny/weird when Carol and Daryl were in the building, they never closed any doors behind them as they moved further through.
Walkers at this stage can't open doors, they just seemed so casual walking around...I just think what I would do in that situation.

I too would prefer they even did half episodes of each group, a full episode seems to leave you wanting to see the others...even to the point I think just kill them so we can get back to the others.

I did wonder how Carol was going to end up in the hospital, her being hit by the car was a shock.

Now at least from the shorts for next week they seem to be back with Rick before the hospital ambush. I hate there is a mid season break.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #267 on: November 17, 2014, 05:59:22 PM »
I enjoyed the episode more than I thought I would initially. I was beginning to become tired of the jarring exposition of the time skips, but by the end it was wrapped up with a nice lil bow on top; still not the best way to go about it but with what they have, I didn't mind it by the end of the episode. I agree on the notion that these slower episodes still feel tense and interesting without being action packed, but still certainly contain some adrenaline rushes here and there; very well done in that regard. Overall I'm enjoying this season a lot more than the past two and I think by the time that we get back on track with the mid-season break it'll be back to crushing skulls and hitting the ground running. I'd like that.

I also really, truly loved the Atlanta scenes, it was some great imagery and it was cool seeing the city again. It's funny to know that it was once quite literally a near impossibility to move ANYWHERE in the city because it was as packed as Time Square with the dead and now that it's been so long...it almost seems empty in comparison. Very cool contrast and that aspect was my favorite part of the episode. But it's good to have the tangled strings of the timeline a bit more straightened out.

Great episode....one thing I found funny/weird when Carol and Daryl were in the building, they never closed any doors behind them as they moved further through.
Walkers at this stage can't open doors, they just seemed so casual walking around...I just think what I would do in that situation.

I too would prefer they even did half episodes of each group, a full episode seems to leave you wanting to see the others...even to the point I think just kill them so we can get back to the others.

I did wonder how Carol was going to end up in the hospital, her being hit by the car was a shock.

Now at least from the shorts for next week they seem to be back with Rick before the hospital ambush. I hate there is a mid season break.

They're seasoned enough to know that if they're making noise and nothing is coming out, there's more than likely no walkers that aren't confined and roaming freely. Also there were a few doors that were chained that walkers wouldn't be able to maneuver through due to the lack of any brain function and not knowing to contort their bodies to squeeze through (also the one I'm thinking of did actually shut behind Daryl).

Random: The Child Abuse book was certainly in Daryl's bag, no doubt about it. Oh and I am so not the type to give a shit about certain holes in relativity/physicality/realism but even I gawked and kind of asked 'really?' at the editing of the falling van. That was just...WAAAAAY too obvious. I mean, I was thinking that at the last second it flipped but going back...nope...just a really poor shot. It happens, and in a TV show this detailed and a weekly one at that...I can let it slide.  :P
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:07:23 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #268 on: November 17, 2014, 06:10:30 PM »
Yeah that van.  When it landed that way I was like, 'hey it landed on its feet?!' before I realised how stupid it was to say that. 

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #269 on: November 17, 2014, 06:16:55 PM »
 :lol

VANS ARE PEOPLE TOO!

It does give me some enjoyment/entertainment to know some people get honestly, genuinely pissed off about it and say stupid things like "the show sucks" because of it that couple-second scene. Was it bad? Yeah, but hearing some of my friends (or rather people my friends know) say that made me wanna say something like "TRY TO GIVE LESS OF A SHIT". Like the entire show is ruined because of it.  :rollin

RIP DTP.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #270 on: November 17, 2014, 06:23:29 PM »
There are tons of blatant and really bad editing and continuity errors in Jurassic Park (Lex clearly falls off the bones, but in the next shot she's still holding on), but they don't take away from how awesome the movie still is. The van scene didn't bother me especially since it was followed up with the walkers falling on it, which was hilarious.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #271 on: November 17, 2014, 06:26:54 PM »
I did laugh out loud at that part, as well as whenever Daryl and Carol initially find the tent-walkers and one of them falls over in the tent, all confused and unable to get out.

More so cause I've totally done that in a daze the morning after a night of heavy drinking/camping way back when.

RIP DTP.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #272 on: November 17, 2014, 08:32:29 PM »
Speaking of fuck ups...

At the part where they find the walker pinned against the wall with the arrow in its throat, you can clearly hear the whirring of the puppet's jaw mechanics moving, go check it out gaiz.   

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: November 17, 2014, 08:37:43 PM »
I challenge anyone to throw a flaming notepad as far as Norman Reedus did!  :omg: I mean, have you ever thrown a notepad? It opens up...papers go all crazy and catch the air and it goes maybe ten foot. Dude chucked that thing a solid 50 ft....on fire  :metal

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #274 on: November 17, 2014, 08:39:43 PM »
Speaking of fuck ups...

At the part where they find the walker pinned against the wall with the arrow in its throat, you can clearly hear the whirring of the puppet's jaw mechanics moving, go check it out gaiz.   

Ahhh I was wondering what that was! Nice!

I'M NEVER WATCHING THIS FUCKING SHOW AGAIN!!!!!!!

Also yay for notepad throwing love. Yes. It's PROBABLY the most badass thing Daryl has ever done.

RIP DTP.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #275 on: November 17, 2014, 08:44:50 PM »
I challenge anyone to throw a flaming notepad as far as Norman Reedus did!  :omg: I mean, have you ever thrown a notepad? It opens up...papers go all crazy and catch the air and it goes maybe ten foot. Dude chucked that thing a solid 50 ft....on fire  :metal

Maybe the fire is like adhesive, uniting the pages with incandescent glory or something i dunno.

Also yay for notepad throwing love. Yes. It's PROBABLY the most badass thing Daryl has ever done.

Lighting cigarette and walking away to prove that everybody does hate chris was pretty badass.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #276 on: November 17, 2014, 08:54:28 PM »
Speaking of fuck ups...

That was really loud. I didn't notice it the first time, but man, how could they leave that in there?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #277 on: November 18, 2014, 12:44:33 AM »
I don't think that's the sound of anything mechanical. It's not even a puppet, it's a dude, so there's nothing that would be making that sound.
I think they've just really overdone the vocal noises and it comes off sounding weird altogether.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #278 on: November 18, 2014, 12:48:34 AM »
I considered that, but given the position of the zombie, the movements of the arms, and the fact that he's got an arrow through the neck that is most certainly not CGI...I can completely see it being animatronic. It just sounds so weird, and I really can't hear it being apart of the voice, it sounds separate...

RIP DTP.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #279 on: November 18, 2014, 12:50:48 AM »
Could be a dude, or CGI... I don't think the sound would come from overdoing vocal noises.  Either way its an amateur mistake to have in such a big ol budget production.