Author Topic: THE WALKING DEAD - SEASON 5  (Read 86574 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: THE WALKING DEAD - SEASON 5
« Reply #210 on: November 10, 2014, 07:17:00 AM »
That ending was awesome.

Yeah it was.

I had a feeling that was going to happen, with Eugene's personality, it makes sense.

And its sad that all big ginger was trying to do was protect his family and they disowned for it. geez

I don't know if you've read the comic or watched The Talking Dead because it was mentioned there....but Abraham beat those guys to death because they raped his family. That makes their reaction to him all the more curious.

I enjoyed the episode....I wish there would have been a closer shot of that hoard of Walkers but I think the long distance panoramic shot of them proved the point. I also thought it was interesting that Rosita stepped in front of Eugene stopping Abraham with her hand on her gun....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #211 on: November 10, 2014, 07:59:00 AM »
I really thought that Eugene was going to accidentally get shot with the gun being swung around and wrestled with.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #212 on: November 10, 2014, 10:46:43 AM »
The episode was alright, it's just a shame that the "twist" of the ending was so obvious, most of us could see it coming since S4 already. If anything this was a good episode for Abraham and we got some depth for his character.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: November 10, 2014, 12:37:11 PM »
The episode was alright, it's just a shame that the "twist" of the ending was so obvious, most of us could see it coming since S4 already. If anything this was a good episode for Abraham and we got some depth for his character.

I was surprised it was revealed so 'quickly' that Eugene was full of poo poo. It's been a good year and a half since I read that portion of the comic.....but I thought that revelation came much later on.

I liked the Abraham backstory as well. It was good to learn why his state of mind is what it is.....mission focused....only to block out the hurt of his family being raped then eaten by Walkers and he could do nothing to protect them from either.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #214 on: November 10, 2014, 01:24:42 PM »
Next episode looks like another bottle episode with Carol and Daryl. They certainly love playing with the timeline this season...

Predictions for the rest of this half of the season(No spoilers for once, surprise surprise)

Abe & Co. Return to church. Reveal that Eugene is a liar.
Daryl and his new friend(Most likely Noah) tell the group about the Hospital
Mid Season Finale: Group goes to Hospital to retrieve Beth and Carol. Shit hits the fan. Someone dies. Group continues to Washington anyway.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #215 on: November 10, 2014, 01:27:30 PM »
It did come later in terms of the flow of the show to the comics, Gman. But I'm really glad it happened this early in the season because as an avid TWD comic-fan, I was already getting a bit bored with the 'mission' and it'll be very interesting to see where they go from here and how the group aspect plays out. Is Washington still an option? Do they regroup first? Is Abe still going to push on? I'm really interested in those questions and how the rest of the season will flow, because clearly this was a central point in the season and now that the jig is up, there's no mission, no goal and no supposed safe haven (which was ignorant of them to think to begin with considering what the OG crew has seen and done).

But I enjoyed the slower pace of the episode and the tension leading up to it; I also liked the survival and scavenging aspect. But now I'm ready for things to pick up again; I'm hoping that next episode brings da rukus given that the past two have been the two slower paced episodes of the season. We're slowly getting to a boiling point to all this and I think it's been great so far. I just hope things don't continue to slow. After the more scenic, calmed aspects of the season, seeing that horde spread out was great and them knowing they were fucked if they tried to go through is telling. By now there's probably more than a couple hordes like that in every state at least somewhere.

And then there's the terrifying, shit-yourself-inducing thought that there is almost certainly an 'army' somwhere in which multiple hordes have met up that put both that 'farmland horde' and the previous seasons horde that Daryl and co saw to utter shame. Somewhere. Somewhere they'll be. And then they'll be mincemeat. But perhaps they're hopeful enough to try and still make it to Washington just so they can have a goal to go towards.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: November 10, 2014, 01:32:52 PM »
I watch every week, but I wouldn't consider myself a diehard.  Anyway, my two cents is that I'm disappointed they've gone two straight weeks without any scenes involving Rick, Daryl, Micchone, Carl and Carol.  To me, they are the most interesting characters -- particularly Rick, who is the more "the core" of the show than anyone else.  They need to stop dedicating full episodes to one group, in my opinion.  I need more Rick.   
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #217 on: November 10, 2014, 01:38:14 PM »
I watch every week, but I wouldn't consider myself a diehard.  Anyway, my two cents is that I'm disappointed they've gone two straight weeks without any scenes involving Rick, Daryl, Micchone, Carl and Carol.  To me, they are the most interesting characters -- particularly Rick, who is the more "the core" of the show than anyone else.  They need to stop dedicating full episodes to one group, in my opinion.  I need more Rick.   

I agree, and it's one of the problems with having such a big group of survivors. The only one I really care about is Rick. Sure, there are some good side-characters as well, but he is the protagonist and I wanna follow his story. Trailing off for 2-3 episodes and seeing other things is a bit lackluster.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #218 on: November 10, 2014, 01:42:31 PM »
Ohhh you silly fools....

Rick isn't special. Nor is Carl, Carol, Daryl, or Tyrese.

I think Kirkman loves the people like you two sweethearts. Because eventually he's gonna buttfuck you all.

Not to say your opinions are any less. But they're certainly naive. The TV show will almost certainly be at least a bit different in this regard, but just know that when the show's modus operandi is 'No one is safe'...it means NO ONE IS SAFE. Sure, they're the central characters. By that I mean they're central fodder.

The 'central characters' are the dead. They've already won.

On that note, I do want to get back to the crew. I also think it's necessary to have these other characters explored and I enjoy the non-main-character-centric episodes. But it is cute the way you guys talk like the 'main characters' aren't expendable in the easiest way possible. I'll cut the banter there but you should prepare yourselves for the worst case scenario at the end of the road of the show.

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #219 on: November 10, 2014, 01:59:03 PM »
I don't think the show has ever delivered on the 'no one is safe' thing. Sure, sometimes someone dies in a mid-season or season finale, but then it almost always feels like it's because they have to kill someone off to make it feel grand, and it's never truly shocking. Of course, with a few exceptions throughout the run of the entire series. But in my opinion there hasn't been a truly unexpected death since the start of season 3.

And opinions doesn't mean shit when discussing whether Rick, Carl, or Deryl are 'central characters'. Because they are.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #220 on: November 10, 2014, 02:14:35 PM »
I'm not even gonna touch the comment of the show never delivering on the 'no one is safe' aspect. But I never said the core characters weren't central. I actually directly stated that they were. Pretty fuckin' obvious that they are. I'm also sure that if Kirkman has the last say (which he does, in case you or anyone else hasn't noticed by now) that by the end of the show they'll be dead. For those that don't read interviews, keep up with the comics, etc., I'm not spoiling anything because this is just my opinion, so worry not (I am surmising from interviews, but nothing has been stated as fact for either end of the argument on character deaths, survival, etc.). But on the comic-book side...there's definitely a different feeling that I am certain Kirkman wants to translate to the show sooner or later that is completely absent from it at this point. Yeah, you're right, they're utterly safe right now. Again, I'm speaking down the road. No shit, they're gonna drag this TV series out and wring every ounce of dough out of this show that they can without pissing off the mastermind. You missed my point entirely. I'm saying don't think that because the TV execs lick the assholes clean of every viewer out there doesn't mean that the shows MO has changed. It's delayed, verily, but the fact that these central characters are in fact central characters doesn't (IN THE LONG RUN) make them any more safe. Just a cautionary comment to those that think the central characters are safe simply because they're the main characters, that's all.

I do want to get back to the central crew, I'm just saying that the central crew is central until they're torn apart by walkers or fucked in the ass by another group or another horde or mother nature, etc. Eventually the TV show is going to hit a stride and we're going to get to a point where Kirkman is going to want to have an endgame in sight. He's no doubt got one in mind, but at this point there's still plenty of life in both the comics and doubly so for the TV show. The man still wants to make money, but he's also pretty hardcore on his vision of the end, as he's stated time and time again.

RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: November 10, 2014, 02:31:53 PM »
I've mentioned it multiple times but I think killing off Daryl would do the trick at re-expressing how no one is safe. He's a strong character in that world....which would show that no matter how strong or savvy you are you can lose your life....and by killing him off it'd show the level of 'balls' that only GoT has reached....where truly no character is safe.

I don't see Rick or Carl dying anytime soon because although Tio the 'walkers' are a large part of the comic/show.....they aren't the main character. Rick and Carl are the center of the show...the main character(s) if you will. Every other character are only supporting characters to them. Of course, that's just my opinion but I could be reading and watching the book/series with a bias towards a father/son 'story' being I am a father of sons.

nonetheless....I have read that Kirkman has the story figured out....he knows how it ends and in fact he said he had the ending figured out before he even began the story....he's just trying to craft the story in a way to reach the ending he wants.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #222 on: November 10, 2014, 02:55:48 PM »
I agree on the point of Daryl, but I don't think that'll happen for a very long time. Of course, on the surface Rick and Carl are the central characters; my point in saying that the walkers are the true central characters are that they will always be there no matter what and no matter how many they kill. Always. Forever. Even after the comics and the show ends, disregarding all other characters. I think it is being set up that Rick is going to die eventually, and maybe even Carl (though I think it's far more likely that he's going to be the true leader to usher in a new era of survivors); everyone else is just a ticking time bomb (I think the only other 'maybe' is Michonne, who is arguably made to be in such a world). Opinions, agree to disagree, etc.

I think the show has had a very rocky start considering the magnificence of the source material. All this said, they've still got a pretty solid foundation to screw with the viewers world view of the show and make this show into something truly singular. It's just a matter of how brown the noses of the TV execs get before Kirkman says 'fuck you, this is my baby'.

RIP DTP.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: November 10, 2014, 03:12:46 PM »
I think hope Daryl will bite it when Negan shows up. Hopefully Mid season 6

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #224 on: November 10, 2014, 04:40:26 PM »
My god they killed that story arc like nothing and here I was looking forward to some progress on the actual origin of the Zombie apocalypse on the show. Been waiting since S01 for that, I can see were this season is heading now and I ain't to excited for that to be honest. Seems like one gigant setback.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #225 on: November 10, 2014, 04:58:32 PM »
You really didn't see that coming? At all? I'm so utterly biased since I've read the comics about four times over now, but surely the guy with the mullet who can't even figure out how to kill a walker can't have all the answers. Not to mention...it's season 5 in a series that aims to at the very least enter the double-digits or give or take a couple seasons depending on the fates and viewers. WAY too early; but that's totally dependent on what you know about the creators, interviews, etc.

I also like the comic explanation of his mullet a lot more. Massive paraphrase, but he explains it as no one with a mullet is going to be seen as intelligent; so it's more of a 'my greatest advantage is being underestimated' and I really liked that about the character, despite him still being a massive douche and a coward.

I think it adds to the realism. I know that word shouldn't be thrown around a zombie apocalypse show, but there does need to be some grounded aspects to keep us from going full on who-the-fuck-cares-about-anything-realistic. If everything went to shit as it has in this world, there's not going to be any answers because the guys with the answers are either dead or holed up somewhere REAL FUCKIN' DEEP (or high up?). Either way, it sure as shit isn't gonna be the guy who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground but looks cool while he makes a fire with aluminum and a battery and spouts off about sophomore science.

Eh. Consider this a slight spoiler for those with anal beads,
but Kirkman has already stated that there is more than likely not ever going to be that fully explained answer that just magically illuminates everything. So don't hold your breath. You're welcome. Or sorry if you didn't read the spoiler. Either way, the show nor the comic has never been one to divulge an abundance of information about the world.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 05:05:57 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: November 10, 2014, 07:51:47 PM »
My god they killed that story arc like nothing and here I was looking forward to some progress on the actual origin of the Zombie apocalypse on the show. Been waiting since S01 for that, I can see were this season is heading now and I ain't to excited for that to be honest. Seems like one gigant setback.

I think it's going to be fine...there is plenty source material to work from of which there are several story arcs they could focus on and make cool. Gimple is the opposite of Mazerra in respect to not wasting time and dragging things out that really don't have a comic book payoff or big secret to reveal. It's 'boom'....here it is....done....on to the next. I like that about his style.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: November 11, 2014, 01:05:54 PM »
I thought Eugene was full of shit since he got introduced last season but then when he started talking about how the solution is going to work and what's in Washington; I bought into it.
I'm glad he was lying and that story arc is over though, this is not Resident Evil; I don't care about the origin story or how to solve it and save the world, I see this show as a post apocalyptic survival story, that's the appeal to me.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #228 on: November 11, 2014, 03:57:47 PM »
So is he still alive then? I’m not sure if it would create more conflict between the characters to have him dead or alive, or which of those 2 options I actually want.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #229 on: November 11, 2014, 09:09:51 PM »
It'd be utterly ridiculous if that killed him. He's fucked up, to be sure, but that blow shouldn't have killed him... Not only physically, but in terms of storyline and what they could do with the character, even disregarding the comic-book side of things and whether they'll follow it or not. But no, I don't think he's dead, I really doubt it. It'll be too interesting to see what happens with the group and what they do with him, where they go from here, how he's treated, etc.

RIP DTP.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: November 11, 2014, 09:33:54 PM »
He can't die. They need him for later.

Minor spoiler:
Once they get to D.C., he begins making bullets. That's a pretty damn useful skill to have.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #231 on: November 11, 2014, 09:48:01 PM »
I'm aware of the events in the comics, but you talk as if the show has followed the comic books... Granted, this season I think they will, as Gimple and Kirkman have stated (at least MORE closely, still not at all a mirror), but there's no 'can't'...the show has deviated pretty immensely from the comic plenty of times before and while they are following more closely to the comics than since episode 1 of season 1, going off the comics isn't a guarantee; even then there's always going to be pretty huge deviations and there already has been. I agree, but not because the comics have it that way. It isn't as if they can't replace him or introduce another science-savvy character or even just one who is experienced in war and weapons. There are a plethora of options. I hope it doesn't happen that way, I'm just saying that to say he can't die because of that is pretty sketchy.

RIP DTP.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: November 11, 2014, 10:07:54 PM »
True, and they have done that in the past with the Tainted Meat scene and the Lizzy/Mika scenario, but they only did that because 1. Mazzara stupidly killing off characters(Andrea. Unforgivable.) 2. The actor asked to be killed(Dale) or 3. the character was never introduced(Billy and Ben from the comics. Fucking useless red shirt Ben from Tyrese's group doesn't count.)
Since they have the character alive, and I don't see Josh McDermitt wanting to leave anytime soon, he has been spotted on set recently it would be pointless to kill him off and bring in another guy to fill his role instead.

I could be wrong. I usually am.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #233 on: November 11, 2014, 10:14:59 PM »
I concur, I really doubt he'll be killed off. Just throwing out there that basing things like this on the comics isn't exactly a safe thing to do.  :P But in this case yes, I hope they do and think that they will. I also really like the way he's playing Eugene. Perfect balance of a total cowardice goober who just so happens to be pretty damned intelligent.  :lol

RIP DTP.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #234 on: November 12, 2014, 01:43:40 AM »
I would be surprised if they killed him off already. This was the first time they've given Eugene and Abraham any real personality, so I think it would be a very strange decision to kill him off in the very same episode!

Then again, this show often surprises.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: November 12, 2014, 12:07:17 PM »
I had a really hard time watching that last episode.  That group of characters is the least appealing to me (maybe because they are the newest and havent had a whole lot go on with them). 

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: November 12, 2014, 05:12:14 PM »
I do think that fall has killed Eugene, the punch was hard and the fall straight onto the road...if not dead, then he will have some serious brain injury.

If he is in fact dead then I believe the red head (can't remember his name) will kill himself, which he was about to do, before Eugene gave him this new mission.  Someone mentioned in the last couple of pages they need to slim the herd down.

I assume this won't happen in the next episode, it will wait until the mid season finale now only 3 episodes away.

I know a few of you who have read the comics have mentioned that Daryl was killed off early...I just hope they keep him in the show...I would want a few other 'main' characters before Daryl.

All in all still a great season. :corn

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: November 12, 2014, 05:25:30 PM »
Daryl wasn't killed off early in the comics because he has never appeared in the comics. Kirkman has hinted at wanting to bring him in, but I hope he stays TV-only.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:32:22 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #238 on: November 12, 2014, 05:35:40 PM »
I'm wondering where she read that.  :lol Maybe...Dale? But I also don't remember seeing anything..and far too tired to look. Weird.

I love that farmland shot, it's an awesome scene and for some reasons seems a lot more daunting to me than the previous shots of herds they've shown. I suppose since they're not in one big cluster, but it's just cool to look at and imagine having to go through it...

RIP DTP.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: November 12, 2014, 05:46:02 PM »
On that note

If Daryl doesn't get Lucille'd when Negan shows up, I could see him evolving into a character like Dwight.

EDIT: OR Negan is his father.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 06:24:17 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #240 on: November 12, 2014, 05:52:57 PM »
Now THAT would be fucking awesome. Great thought.

RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: November 12, 2014, 06:05:03 PM »
On that note

If Daryl doesn't get Lucill'd when Negan shows up, I could see him evolving into a character like Dwight.

EDIT: OR Negan is his father.

I had thought that if Daryl were to be killed off....that would be the way to do it. I mean, it happening to Glenn in the comic was brutal and all....but doing that to Daryl on the show would be the way to go.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: November 13, 2014, 05:50:22 PM »
Daryl wasn't killed off early in the comics because he has never appeared in the comics. Kirkman has hinted at wanting to bring him in, but I hope he stays TV-only.

My bad, I thought I read that on a previous season post....but it probably said that he was never in the comics.  :smiley:

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #243 on: November 14, 2014, 10:46:05 AM »
YOUR DAMN RIGHT, DON'T MESS UP AGAIN!

Jay backslash kay.  :police:

I'm looking forward to this upcoming episode and moreover if they fully explain what happened to Carol, and then how they get out and/or massively screw over this community all in one episode. I'd like that.

RIP DTP.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: November 16, 2014, 08:07:48 PM »
Decent episode tonight. It was nice seeing what Carol was up to post-exile.

Looks like we're finally getting back to the Church group next week. Leading up to a showdown at the Hospital for the Mid Season Finale.