Author Topic: THE WALKING DEAD - SEASON 5  (Read 87129 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: THE WALKING DEAD - SEASON 5
« Reply #1085 on: July 13, 2015, 07:52:01 AM »
I'll be honest, I found myself more interested in the Fear trailer as it's showing something a bit different. The S6 trailer looked pretty good, but it's all just more of the same and the show really doesn't feel like it has any direction.

I feel this way to a degree as well. The question I find myself asking is that if FTWD is a success, how long does the show go before it's basically TWD? I can't wait to see the first signs of the disease and watch society slowly crumble around it, but once that happens, then what? We'll be at the same exact formula TWD uses now (people die, group moves, group temorarily settles, repeat).

I think they could get several seasons out of FTWD before it comes back to the point of where TWD started with Rick. I'd like to think they've got a plan for a slightly different direction once it gets to that point, or at least TWD may be done by then.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1086 on: July 13, 2015, 08:12:45 AM »
I'll be honest, I found myself more interested in the Fear trailer as it's showing something a bit different. The S6 trailer looked pretty good, but it's all just more of the same and the show really doesn't feel like it has any direction.

I feel this way to a degree as well. The question I find myself asking is that if FTWD is a success, how long does the show go before it's basically TWD? I can't wait to see the first signs of the disease and watch society slowly crumble around it, but once that happens, then what? We'll be at the same exact formula TWD uses now (people die, group moves, group temorarily settles, repeat).

I think they could get several seasons out of FTWD before it comes back to the point of where TWD started with Rick. I'd like to think they've got a plan for a slightly different direction once it gets to that point, or at least TWD may be done by then.

The potential is endless actually. They could take the direction of showing the beginnings of a 'stronghold' of sorts being formed. A large group of people in a very secure  location.....taxing all travelers or people that wander in, hoarding all supplies and dividing it out among who they see fit to have them.

Or, instead of following a group of 'good' guys around......have the show be based around a group of savages who just pummel, kill and destroy everyone/everything they see and interact with. Instead of the 'good' guys always winning...have them just keep getting stronger. Those types of groups are certainly out there.

I think following a unit of some branch of the military would be interesting. I'd assume that there would have been countless groups of military/ex-military/"preppers" who'd have been ready for something like that.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1087 on: July 13, 2015, 08:18:35 AM »

The potential is endless actually. They could take the direction of showing the beginnings of a 'stronghold' of sorts being formed. A large group of people in a very secure  location.....taxing all travelers or people that wander in, hoarding all supplies and dividing it out among who they see fit to have them.

Or, instead of following a group of 'good' guys around......have the show be based around a group of savages who just pummel, kill and destroy everyone/everything they see and interact with. Instead of the 'good' guys always winning...have them just keep getting stronger. Those types of groups are certainly out there.

I think following a unit of some branch of the military would be interesting. I'd assume that there would have been countless groups of military/ex-military/"preppers" who'd have been ready for something like that.

That's something that I'd love too see. Sadly, I don't think that kind of negativity is good for ratings. I'm trying to think of a show that follows shitty people. I guess maybe shows like Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, and The Sopranos are like that in a way, and those shows seem to have done alright.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1088 on: July 13, 2015, 08:26:43 AM »
You'd have to give them some sort of redeeming factor or 'reason' why they were so brutal. Like they were protecting a collection of humanities knowledge on a disk or Computer.....or they had someone in their group who was immune in some way. i don't know. But, if there were a good reason they were so bad....maybe that'd be acceptable in a way?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1089 on: July 13, 2015, 08:41:13 AM »

All good ideas. Even if the characters were doing bad things, I think people would watch it as long as there was some believable and relatable justification for it, and have a good mixture of people with different morals to balance it out. Rick has been less than squeaky clean lately, but you can understand why he does what he does because of their experiences.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1090 on: July 13, 2015, 08:59:47 AM »
Well at the end of the day its all about the characters, they can be good or bad, but there has to be something there for the audience to get attached too on some level, which usually is some redeeming quality.  Thats part of the reason TWD suffers, the characters are all very bland, specifically the newer ones who don't get screen time to build character. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1091 on: July 13, 2015, 09:25:16 AM »
Well at the end of the day its all about the characters, they can be good or bad, but there has to be something there for the audience to get attached too on some level, which usually is some redeeming quality.  Thats part of the reason TWD suffers, the characters are all very bland, specifically the newer ones who don't get screen time to build character.

I like the 'original' characters that are left. It just seems the ones they introduce now either never hit the mark or aren't given the chance to shine.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1092 on: July 13, 2015, 09:37:36 AM »

I like the 'original' characters that are left. It just seems the ones they introduce now either never hit the mark or aren't given the chance to shine.

Agreed, whats left of the originals from season 1 and 2 are the only ones who really had character build ups and are the only ones, as audience members, we (or at least I) seem to care about. 

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1093 on: July 13, 2015, 09:39:02 AM »
The S6 trailer looked pretty good, but it's all just more of the same and the show really doesn't feel like it has any direction.

This is my biggest problem with the show. There appears to be no end game in sight, nor any plan for a series-spanning story or plan. It just feels like they make it up as they go along, just having the characters survive group after group and camp after camp. I've heard some people counter with "it's more realistic that way, that's how it would be in that world". Yes, probably, and that worked pretty well for a season or two. But in the long run it's just poor story telling.

The final few episodes of season 5 were actually good, better than I expected, but I just don't feel like I have any reason to stick with these characters anymore. There's no real goal, exept to be safe I guess. And now that we've seen them "safe" a few times over, it just means that unless all the zombies die and there are no more walking dead, the audience will never buy that they are actually safe. So that would now be a poor way to end the show some day. And if it'll end with them never being safe, or everyone dying or whatever, what the hell is the point?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: July 13, 2015, 09:42:03 AM »

Agreed, whats left of the originals from season 1 and 2 are the only ones who really had character build ups and are the only ones, as audience members, we (or at least I) seem to care about. 

I agree. I also really like Abraham's group, but they haven't had a lot of time for development.
The S1/2 characters are the ones I'd really hate to see die though. I was upset and speechless when Hershel died, even knowing it was coming. Since then, I think I mostly laugh when characters die, because I don't care about them.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1095 on: July 13, 2015, 09:43:34 AM »

I'd be bummed if any of the originals were killed off (it's got to happen some time), but I still care alot about Michonne and Abraham. Abraham is my favorite character on the show right now.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1096 on: July 13, 2015, 09:45:22 AM »
Oh yeah, Michonne too. It would suck to kill her off, because her swordplay is always a highlight.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1097 on: July 13, 2015, 09:45:45 AM »

I agree. I also really like Abraham's group, but they haven't had a lot of time for development.
The S1/2 characters are the ones I'd really hate to see die though. I was upset and speechless when Hershel died, even knowing it was coming. Since then, I think I mostly laugh when characters die, because I don't care about them.

I actually root for it.  They were done so poorly that might as well kill them off and start off fresh with new characters.  I thought Abraham's group would be so much better, but there was just nothing.  Too much and not enough time for everyone.  Makes me appreciate GoT that much more since they are somehow able to do it with a huge cast (although failed a bit last season with the new characters). 

Actually I think the fact that I hate Gabriel so much says something about that they actually may have succeeded with a new character.  He should probably live just because he is so hated and draws an emotion from the audience.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1098 on: July 13, 2015, 09:52:49 AM »

I was screaming and flailing my arms at the television when Noah got turned inside out.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1099 on: July 13, 2015, 10:14:11 AM »
This is my biggest problem with the show. There appears to be no end game in sight, nor any plan for a series-spanning story or plan.

I'd agree with this while Mazerra was the show runner. He was kind of rudderless...just haphazardly telling the comic story. I think ever since Gimple has become the show runner he's steered the ship back on course...and has begun to interpret the comic in a pretty good manner. Having read the comics and being up to date on that story...I can tell you for certain that there is a good story there to tell. I'm excited to see how it's told and actually pretty curious as to how they pull it off because some of the things that are coming are pretty grand in scheme...characters and story.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1100 on: July 13, 2015, 11:50:42 AM »
I'd agree with this while Mazerra was the show runner. He was kind of rudderless...just haphazardly telling the comic story. I think ever since Gimple has become the show runner he's steered the ship back on course...
On what course though? Normally by season 6 of a show the viewer has some idea of what direction it's going in. You can see an endgame in sight.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1101 on: July 13, 2015, 12:07:43 PM »
I'd agree with this while Mazerra was the show runner. He was kind of rudderless...just haphazardly telling the comic story. I think ever since Gimple has become the show runner he's steered the ship back on course...
On what course though? Normally by season 6 of a show the viewer has some idea of what direction it's going in. You can see an endgame in sight.

I like the fact that there's no end in sight. TWD is in a unique genre where you really don't need an end. It's a group of people with no goal other than to not die. The story is limitless. Compare that to something like Breaking Bad where Walter White's clock was ticking from the beginning. Some people might actually prefer having no endgame. I wouldn't have been bothered by another season or two of Breaking Bad, but with Walter's condition, more episodes wasn't really plausible. On the other hand, you have shows like The Office. I watched the US version since it started in the states. I watched every episode until the series finale. I wanted so badly for that show to die, but they just kept milking it. 

TWD is interesting in the sense that it seems to fall into the gray area between sitcom and serious series. It's taken very seriously while at the same time being able to cling to sitcom rules. Sure, there needs to be continuity from episode to episode, but with no society dictating the rules of their environment (on the show) and a virtually limitless pool of potential new characters, TWD could go on for 20 seasons if people still liked watching it. I actually really enjoy that there isn't really an end game. I have no real expectation other than what might happen a few shows down the road.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1102 on: July 13, 2015, 12:09:44 PM »
Obviously it could keep on going, but for a show to do that it needs to change things up a bit. If you just repeat the same thing year after year, it gets boring. TWD is reaching that point, for me.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1103 on: July 13, 2015, 12:17:47 PM »

I like the fact that there's no end in sight. TWD is in a unique genre where you really don't need an end. It's a group of people with no goal other than to not die. The story is limitless. Compare that to something like Breaking Bad where Walter White's clock was ticking from the beginning. Some people might actually prefer having no endgame. I wouldn't have been bothered by another season or two of Breaking Bad, but with Walter's condition, more episodes wasn't really plausible. On the other hand, you have shows like The Office. I watched the US version since it started in the states. I watched every episode until the series finale. I wanted so badly for that show to die, but they just kept milking it. 

TWD is interesting in the sense that it seems to fall into the gray area between sitcom and serious series. It's taken very seriously while at the same time being able to cling to sitcom rules. Sure, there needs to be continuity from episode to episode, but with no society dictating the rules of their environment (on the show) and a virtually limitless pool of potential new characters, TWD could go on for 20 seasons if people still liked watching it. I actually really enjoy that there isn't really an end game. I have no real expectation other than what might happen a few shows down the road.

I agree. The 'no clear endgame' is fine in my eyes because there is no clear endgame in that world. I mean, "they'd" like to get to a point where they can raise kids and have somewhat of a civilized living without fear of being eaten alive or murdered by 'bad' guys....I think that's what Rick and Co. are striving for and why Alexandria is worth it to them. But with civility no longer a virtue that is common (or recommended) in that world and morality being re-defined....there really is no safe end game to hang your hat on or to strive for. I think for as long as that show (and comic) continue it will be the endless game of survival we've seen up to this point. I suppose the hope could be that they could tell it better...but other than that I'm not sure there are many other options to choose from in a post apocalyptic world where dead people walk around and try to eat you.   

Even in the comics it's clear that there really is no safe time or place. It appears that in that world the 'formula' as we see it is always going to be the same. Kill or be killed...survive by whatever means necessary. I'm fine with it and I'd be willing to bet that I will watch every episode of every season this show is on television no matter how routine the formula gets. I just like this type of entertainment.

Obviously it could keep on going, but for a show to do that it needs to change things up a bit. If you just repeat the same thing year after year, it gets boring. TWD is reaching that point, for me.

For me....as I mentioned earlier....knowing the comic story has me excited because of the potential therein.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #1104 on: July 20, 2015, 07:03:20 AM »
It's that time of year again, folks.

**Filming Spoilers**
They're apparently in the process of building yet another set for the show, and I would bet anything that it's the Hilltop Colony from the comics. I would expect it should be finished by the time they start filming the final stretch of episodes for this season. This might mean that we see "You Know Who" sooner than we think.
https://www.facebook.com/SpoilingDeadFans/photos/a.221132834708529.1073741829.164502373704909/520064281482048/?type=1&theater

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1105 on: July 20, 2015, 07:39:42 AM »
It's that time of year again, folks.

**Filming Spoilers**
They're apparently in the process of building yet another set for the show, and I would bet anything that it's the Hilltop Colony from the comics. I would expect it should be finished by the time they start filming the final stretch of episodes for this season. This might mean that we see "You Know Who" sooner than we think.
https://www.facebook.com/SpoilingDeadFans/photos/a.221132834708529.1073741829.164502373704909/520064281482048/?type=1&theater

If you get a chance today can you small font the gist of that? My work filter won't open the link  :tup

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1106 on: September 01, 2015, 09:33:42 AM »
Had a dream last night about watching a new episode of this show (I was also in it myself). Towards the end of an episode the main crew was walking through the woods and came across a walker sitting by a tree. Rick then put his gun up to take it out, but just before he could shoot the walker looked up and said "wait", then the episode ended.

I just remember being all like "whaaaaaat". My subconscious apparently thought that was a cool twist, and I actually agree. That would really change the game for the show, but at this point, it sort of needs that.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: September 10, 2015, 08:48:44 PM »
I usually get the BluRay's for the previous season during the new season's mid season hiatus, mainly cause it drops a little in price and for the possibility of a good deal on Cyber Monday, but this time around I've been very excited about the BR's since season 5 ended, so I got them a mere couple of weeks after their release, this was my favorite non-Darabont season.
Looking forward to the long deleted scenes on some episodes I've heard about.
I'm three episodes into it, here's a few thoughts I wanna share and possibly more to come as I go deeper into the season:
- I'm more sympathetic to Tyreese's story when I watch these episodes in bulk, the week to week then long hiatus shit really detaches me, I think. I used to dislike his lame weakness and now I just see him as more realistic than more characters, he rejected violence and couldn't take part in it even when he wanted/needed. So as a result of that it was just a matter of time before he died, this would have easily been me in that world.
- The actor that plays Martin from Terminus was simply awesome, the show truly missed out by killing that one while good actors are currently scarce on the show, aside from Lincoln and Gurira; the cast is mediocre at best, acting wise, but that's not to say that some of those bad actors are not still likable, I like Reedus and Cudlitz.
- The story of Terminus folks was a cool foreshadowing for the radical villainous change that almost happened to Rick's group in Alexandria later this season, another thing I didn't pick up viewing the season as it aired because of the freakin 9 year hiatus they do in the middle. I can't help but think how great it would have been if it got released Netflix style, an entire season at once.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1108 on: September 11, 2015, 01:37:28 AM »
The sloppy way the seasons are released definetely hurts the flow of the series, so yeah, all at once would definetely help. Or at least to have a new episode every week. There are so many little pauses that following it gets a bit frustrating.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #1109 on: September 11, 2015, 08:10:39 AM »
Had a dream last night about watching a new episode of this show (I was also in it myself). Towards the end of an episode the main crew was walking through the woods and came across a walker sitting by a tree. Rick then put his gun up to take it out, but just before he could shoot the walker looked up and said "wait", then the episode ended.

I just remember being all like "whaaaaaat". My subconscious apparently thought that was a cool twist, and I actually agree. That would really change the game for the show, but at this point, it sort of needs that.

Then you would definitely like where the comics are at currently

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1110 on: September 11, 2015, 10:27:45 AM »
So, I finally watched the first episode of this show.  I heard it was pretty good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1111 on: September 11, 2015, 10:53:49 AM »
So, I finally watched the first episode of this show.  I heard it was pretty good.

Take it to the Season 1 thread.

I kid. I kid. What'd you think?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1112 on: September 11, 2015, 11:05:20 AM »
I liked it enough to keep watching.  Pretty intense.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1113 on: September 11, 2015, 11:09:16 AM »

If you stick with it, don't give up when Andrea is doing her thing in Woodbury. You'll know what I'm talking about when the time comes.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1114 on: September 11, 2015, 11:59:41 AM »
OK. 

But my wife has no interest, so this will not be a binge-watching thing.  I will just catch an episode here or there when I have time.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1115 on: September 11, 2015, 12:12:50 PM »

It's still the best episode of the entire series.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1116 on: September 11, 2015, 12:22:44 PM »
OK. 

But my wife has no interest, so this will not be a binge-watching thing.  I will just catch an episode here or there when I have time.

I think overall you'll be satisfied. It is a good series but there are a couple points that tend to drag on. But, if you're binge watching them I think that effect/disappointment won't be felt.

If you stick with it, don't give up when Andrea is doing her thing in Woodbury. You'll know what I'm talking about when the time comes.

An FYI to this.....they butchered Andrea's show character compared to the comic character so Brian's right....take deep breaths and remember not to throw your remote when she'd ticking you off.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1117 on: September 11, 2015, 12:27:11 PM »
I don't read the comic so I don't care.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1118 on: September 11, 2015, 12:33:31 PM »
I don't read the comic so I don't care.
Neither do I but I hate her character and almost everyone I come across who watches the show does as well. I think it's because I don't like the actress playing that role.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #1119 on: September 11, 2015, 12:34:41 PM »

If you stick with it, don't give up when Season 2 season2s (yes, that’s a verb) for all of Season 2.
I have had two friends check this show out at my recommendation (at least in part). Both were absolutely amped watching S1, and then gave up completely when they hit S2. Even though I took care to warn them of that season’s faults and specifically advised that you just have to power through it to get back to the show being decent again, they still couldn’t do it.

I know I have a more favourable opinion of it than most people, but I simply can’t see S3 having the same effect.

It's still the best episode of the entire series.
Perhaps, but there are episodes scattered about that at least give it a run for its money. Killer Within, Internment, The Grove, and No Sanctuary all come immediately to mind, and of course there are those who would shit on your dad for not mentioning Clear.