Author Topic: The PC thread  (Read 102959 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The PC thread
« Reply #980 on: October 19, 2020, 03:41:46 PM »
This guy has my exact same laptop and the disassembly looks like a genuine nightmare!
I might have missed a post somewhere, but are you sure it's not just a Windows problem? Seems to me that if you're willing to replace the HDD in the thing, then you're willing to start from scratch with a fresh install of windows. I'd probably do that first and see if that doesn't resolve things.

Also, when helping a coworker with his laptop that was running stupidly slow, the first thing I did was run chkdsk on it. Took 24 fucking hours, but found and marked plenty of bad sectors and the thing ran great afterward. Just a thought.

I've done both those things, I ran the chkdsk, found a few errors and fixed it, then installed fresh Windows 7. Problem went away for a week or so then came back full on, that's another part of why I can't really pinpoint the problem, but what faizoff said about the hard drive wearing out makes sense.
At this point I've got nothing to lose with the Toshiba except the $50 I'll spend on the SSD that may not solve the problem, but I'm almost certain I'd rage quit that disassembly/assembly a bunch of times heh
Did chkdsk do the full surface scan, or just check for soft errors? One takes ~10 and the other a couple of hours under the best of circumstances.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #981 on: October 19, 2020, 03:44:24 PM »
Not sure about that one, I'll run it again just in case. Everything runs normal in Safe Mode and that's where I ran the chkdsk from.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #982 on: October 19, 2020, 05:55:32 PM »
Not sure about that one, I'll run it again just in case. Everything runs normal in Safe Mode and that's where I ran the chkdsk from.
Whoa, if everything runs normal in safe mode you got yourself a Windows problem. In any case, I believe that the /r switch forces the surface scan.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #983 on: October 19, 2020, 06:49:14 PM »
I would look at the Asus Zephyrus

Hello folks, typing to you from the above mentioned Asus for the first time  ;D
Thanks again for all the recommendations and discussion!
:2metal:

Glad you are enjoying it! Those Asus Zephyrus laptops are truly great!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #984 on: October 21, 2020, 04:47:22 PM »
Whoa, if everything runs normal in safe mode you got yourself a Windows problem. In any case, I believe that the /r switch forces the surface scan.

100% logical, but I've installed Windows 7 from a different source DVD the second time and the same problem persists, it's baffling. 
I've re-ran the chkdsk and it last 3 hours, found some bad sectors and fixed them, again. Now it runs a little longer before coming to a halt.

Dumb question: Are bad sectors infectious? It's a 100% hardware issue right? Like it shouldn't possibly pull off an agent Smith and somehow channel through the data I'm moving from my old laptop to me new one.

I would look at the Asus Zephyrus

Hello folks, typing to you from the above mentioned Asus for the first time  ;D
Thanks again for all the recommendations and discussion!
:2metal:

Glad you are enjoying it! Those Asus Zephyrus laptops are truly great!

Thank you sir! I've got only one minor issue with it so far and that's pretty good.
Windows 10 is not as bad as people are making it sound but it's too early to tell anyway. I was honestly pleasantly surprised to find that new Mail app they include, it's basically free Outlook Express! No more logging in and out 3 times to check on my different email addresses heh

I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #985 on: October 21, 2020, 04:55:55 PM »
Who makes Windows 10 sound bad?  :lol I mean, Windows has always had issues, but version 10 seems just in line with all the every other versions of Windows mantra.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #986 on: October 21, 2020, 05:00:08 PM »
Back when Windows 10 first started, the worst thing they did was that they would force mandatory updates and reboot without a flinch and that would upset people more than anything lol. Oh look you're in the middle of a gaming session? well too bad sucka! update and boom reboot.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #987 on: October 21, 2020, 05:00:49 PM »

100% logical, but I've installed Windows 7 from a different source DVD the second time and the same problem persists, it's baffling. 
I've re-ran the chkdsk and it last 3 hours, found some bad sectors and fixed them, again. Now it runs a little longer before coming to a halt.

Dumb question: Are bad sectors infectious? It's a 100% hardware issue right? Like it shouldn't possibly pull off an agent Smith and somehow channel through the data I'm moving from my old laptop to me new one.

Bad sectors are just bad spots on the disk platters. When you copy the drive it's just not going to be able to access whatever's on whose spots (though CHKDSK has already flagged them as bad, so it shouldn't even try).

I wouldn't suspect it's the version of Windows you installed, but rather something that installed along with it. Like a driver, perhaps. If the thing runs normally in safe mode, and doesn't in normal mode, then it has to be something that's loading in normal windows. How sure are you that it runs fine in safe mode? I know that I never spend any longer in SM than necessary. You let it run for any length of time to see if the problem ever pops up?

There are some other diagnostic steps I could recommend, but it sounds like you're resigned to installing a new HDD. Lemme know if you're still in troubleshooting mode.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #988 on: October 21, 2020, 05:05:59 PM »
Back when Windows 10 first started, the worst thing they did was that they would force mandatory updates and reboot without a flinch and that would upset people more than anything lol. Oh look you're in the middle of a gaming session? well too bad sucka! update and boom reboot.

Well, that's why I hardly ever upgrade any software immediately (unless it fixes a known issue I have).  Things like that are stupid, but get fixed eventually. Windows 10 has been really solid for me personally.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #989 on: October 21, 2020, 05:25:55 PM »
I've certainly got my own issues with 10, but it's not terrible. It's certainly more stable than XP, which is where I upgraded from. One of the important things, as was mentioned, was disabling automatic updates. I slept in on a cold Saturday morning a couple of years ago, looking forward to a cup of coffee, a muffin, and some gaming, and found that Windows had updated overnight and completely nuked my VGA drivers. That one's a bitch to straighten out, I'm here to tell you. That was it for Windows update.

Disabling Windows update is a fine example of why I hate Windows 10. Microsoft won't let you do it because you're not smart enough. It won't let you do anything that MS thinks isn't in your best interest, and it's infuriating. I had to install a specific registry hack just to be able to delete files that MS claimed ownership of. I built this computer and I installed the OS. If I want to delete the entire fucking registry that's between me and my gods. It isn't any of Microsoft's business. It's really become quite HAL-like. Any time I install W10 I always spend a couple of week cursing the various things it won't allow me to do to customize it to my liking, and hunting down the various tweeks and hacks that I last used years ago.

And there are a few things that have either gone away or been "improved" that bug me. The W10 volume mixer is terrible. Same with the clock and calendar. Every time I turn my TV on or off it scrambles all three of my displays because it's no longer possible to disable autodetect, and Windows' multiple monitor support is weak. Windows calls this a "feature."  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #990 on: October 21, 2020, 05:28:51 PM »
I wouldn't suspect it's the version of Windows you installed, but rather something that installed along with it. Like a driver, perhaps. If the thing runs normally in safe mode, and doesn't in normal mode, then it has to be something that's loading in normal windows.

I think you hit the nail on the head there, I may actually have been in denial about it throughout the whole ordeal. The thing is though, I haven't installed any new hardware since a usb hub in April and the problems started up 3 or 4 month after that. It could still be an update that one of my drivers have been issued that suddenly caused all this. But now that I won't be using that laptop myself; I may just uninstall most of that stuff and see.

How sure are you that it runs fine in safe mode? I know that I never spend any longer in SM than necessary. You let it run for any length of time to see if the problem ever pops up?

Maybe a couple of hours a couple of times, I used it to transfer my data out.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #991 on: October 21, 2020, 05:54:13 PM »
I wouldn't suspect it's the version of Windows you installed, but rather something that installed along with it. Like a driver, perhaps. If the thing runs normally in safe mode, and doesn't in normal mode, then it has to be something that's loading in normal windows.

I think you hit the nail on the head there, I may actually have been in denial about it throughout the whole ordeal. The thing is though, I haven't installed any new hardware since a usb hub in April and the problems started up 3 or 4 month after that. It could still be an update that one of my drivers have been issued that suddenly caused all this. But now that I won't be using that laptop myself; I may just uninstall most of that stuff and see.

How sure are you that it runs fine in safe mode? I know that I never spend any longer in SM than necessary. You let it run for any length of time to see if the problem ever pops up?

Maybe a couple of hours a couple of times, I used it to transfer my data out.
If you read from the HDD for a couple of hours with no problems in safe mode, it's probably not your HDD. The two things I'd do are 1) install a monitoring program and see if it's running hot. I'm partial to Afterburner, myself. Safe mode might not run the utility that enables the CPU to step down when it gets hot. 2) when it starts running really slow open up the task monitor-resource monitor and see if any process is really hammering it. High CPU usage or high read/write to the drive are what I'd be looking for. On my work PC "system and compressed memory" will occasionally go slap nuts and slow everything down to the point that I have to hit the reset button.

Just some thoughts.
E.F. Benson

Offline faizoff

« Reply #992 on: October 22, 2020, 07:16:57 AM »
I've certainly got my own issues with 10, but it's not terrible. It's certainly more stable than XP, which is where I upgraded from. One of the important things, as was mentioned, was disabling automatic updates. I slept in on a cold Saturday morning a couple of years ago, looking forward to a cup of coffee, a muffin, and some gaming, and found that Windows had updated overnight and completely nuked my VGA drivers. That one's a bitch to straighten out, I'm here to tell you. That was it for Windows update.

Disabling Windows update is a fine example of why I hate Windows 10. Microsoft won't let you do it because you're not smart enough. It won't let you do anything that MS thinks isn't in your best interest, and it's infuriating. I had to install a specific registry hack just to be able to delete files that MS claimed ownership of. I built this computer and I installed the OS. If I want to delete the entire fucking registry that's between me and my gods. It isn't any of Microsoft's business. It's really become quite HAL-like. Any time I install W10 I always spend a couple of week cursing the various things it won't allow me to do to customize it to my liking, and hunting down the various tweeks and hacks that I last used years ago.

And there are a few things that have either gone away or been "improved" that bug me. The W10 volume mixer is terrible. Same with the clock and calendar. Every time I turn my TV on or off it scrambles all three of my displays because it's no longer possible to disable autodetect, and Windows' multiple monitor support is weak. Windows calls this a "feature."  :lol

I always had the Pro version of windows 10 so the option to delay auto update was there from the start plus, you could always pick and choose what other products to get auto updates from. I used to run into issues with one of my wifi adapter driver being auto updated and I had to uninstall and install it as a generic driver to stop from being autoupdated.

There definitely were teething issues in the beginning. For sure it has gotten a lot better. I think I still prefer it to windows 7 and XP. Those were great for the time, 8 was the visual misfire, under the hood it was great.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #993 on: October 22, 2020, 10:03:20 AM »

I always had the Pro version of windows 10 so the option to delay auto update was there from the start plus, you could always pick and choose what other products to get auto updates from. I used to run into issues with one of my wifi adapter driver being auto updated and I had to uninstall and install it as a generic driver to stop from being autoupdated.

There definitely were teething issues in the beginning. For sure it has gotten a lot better. I think I still prefer it to windows 7 and XP. Those were great for the time, 8 was the visual misfire, under the hood it was great.
Delay is not disable. Just like I don't want to have to beg permission to delete a file, I don't want to be constantly nagged about how much danger I'm in by not updating Windows every other day. Moreover, despite all of the computers up here being set to delay updates, they still manage to sneak through from time to time, generally at the most inopportune moments. That's why I have to hunt down registry hacks to prevent them.

But again, it's the general attitude Windows presents that really gets me. My OS shouldn't own me. I should own it. It treating me like a child is simply infuriating.

BTW, I've made this exact same argument in the browser thread, as Firefox has become the same overbearing pain in the ass. Chase won't let me log on to their site without updating Firefox. I'm actually considering just closing out that credit card rather than updating, which is always a pain in the ass. Mozilla insists on changing the look and layout of the Firefox with every third update, and ever single update removes one of the ways you can get around that. If I'm not mistaken I'm sitting on this version because it was the last version that permitted the use of style sheets to allow you to customize the appearance. You get used to the way your web browser looks and works, and you shouldn't have to adjust to a new on every time some egghead decides he knows better than you.
E.F. Benson

Offline faizoff

« Reply #994 on: October 22, 2020, 10:30:25 AM »
Well good luck with that, windows has more and more creeped into what other tech giants have been doing from the start in owning your data, habits, everything... The only way I see to maintain the "I am not the product" attitude is to not use Windows. There are alternatives and time to time I will indulge them but I'm too far invested into the ecosystem of some that it would be a pain to move away.

I think updating does have its pros and cons and being able to decide ourselves should IMO have always been an option for the end user. But as standards change and protocols get updated, sometimes it's a pain for developers to maintain old legacy vulnerabilities.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #995 on: October 22, 2020, 10:35:24 AM »
With security vulnerabilities these days, the constant updates are kind of necessary.  Now, I agree, as a user of your own device, you should have 100% control of that, but I think a vast majority of people wouldn't do the most critical and necessary updates for their own safety/privacy that leads to Windows being forceful here.  I honestly, don't recall any issues personally other than an update taking a long time and making me impatient.  At the end of the day, my Windows 10 experience has been really smooth and the best Windows to date.  Not perfect, but it's drawbacks definitely aren't bad enough to make me want to use another operating system.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #996 on: October 22, 2020, 10:41:24 AM »
Well good luck with that, windows has more and more creeped into what other tech giants have been doing from the start in owning your data, habits, everything... The only way I see to maintain the "I am not the product" attitude is to not use Windows. There are alternatives and time to time I will indulge them but I'm too far invested into the ecosystem of some that it would be a pain to move away.

I think updating does have its pros and cons and being able to decide ourselves should IMO have always been an option for the end user. But as standards change and protocols get updated, sometimes it's a pain for developers to maintain old legacy vulnerabilities.
Well, I'm pretty mindful of what intel companies get from me, and thankfully MS gets essentially zero. Honestly, I think Windows deserves $130 for providing a good OS, but I'll steal it every damn time specifically to shut out their access to me as a product. I install hacked versions with the phone home aspect removed, and I firewall anything I don't specifically approve. They've really created a situation where not paying them is the only way to keep them off your back.

But, when I used "own" I meant "be the master of." My OS shouldn't treat me like it's doing me a favor by protecting my from myself.

And yeah, I've considered adopting Linux, but everything I've heard is that it's a constant hassle. Unlike Windows, which is only a occasional hassle.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #997 on: October 22, 2020, 10:51:13 AM »
Win10 has its problems but I don't mind it these days. Still like 7 more. Anything is better than 8. My laptop is still on 7 after reverting back from 8 many years ago. my two cents
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #998 on: October 22, 2020, 11:16:16 AM »
So can somebody tell me who in the fuck thought it was a good idea to minimize the scroll bar when browsing or other applications?  >:(

Offline faizoff

« Reply #999 on: October 22, 2020, 11:43:46 AM »
So can somebody tell me who in the fuck thought it was a good idea to minimize the scroll bar when browsing or other applications?  >:(

Yeah I don't like that at all, but as a saving grace in windows 10 you can use the middle button scroll without actually having to click on another page/folder. Just hover over another area and scroll up and down without losing focus of the page you're previously on.. I absolutely LOVE that feature and takes away the annoyance of minimizing the scroll bar wherever it is implemented.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1000 on: October 22, 2020, 11:46:21 AM »
What does this? Don't think I've ever seen a scroll bar minimize.
E.F. Benson

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1001 on: October 22, 2020, 11:48:56 AM »
Loved 7, still use it on my PC. My PC at work is updated to 10, it's okay but I still prefer 7.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1002 on: October 22, 2020, 01:06:33 PM »
What does this? Don't think I've ever seen a scroll bar minimize.

It's in certain UWP apps like Movies, you can see it when you resize the settings app. Actually you can disable it I just found. If you go to settings->Ease of Access->Display "Automatically hide scroll bars in Windows"

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1003 on: October 22, 2020, 01:18:46 PM »
Thanks Faizoff!  :tup

I figured it was a setting but I was too lazy to look for it and it gave me something else to bitch about during the covids.  :hat

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1004 on: October 23, 2020, 12:33:25 PM »
How Many Potatoes Does It Take To Run DOOM?

I think this guy deserve the Nobel price or something equal.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #1005 on: October 23, 2020, 12:39:33 PM »
Should've done Portal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1006 on: October 23, 2020, 04:48:50 PM »
I need to buy va new PC.  Mines completely shit itself and is like 20 years old.  Anyone use one of those all in one desktops?  I don't do games or anything, just music, internet browsing and YouTube.  They are cheap and seem handy.  Any good?

Also, anyone know if you can plug external stereo speakers into them?

Edit: forget that.  I just got a cheap ass $650 desktop tower to replace my 20 year old Windows XP computer.

Next thing, security.  Is this Windows Defender good enough or to I need more?  The guy in the store tried to sell me Norton for $128!!  Wasn't having a bar of that.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 06:57:02 PM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1007 on: October 23, 2020, 07:12:17 PM »
I need to buy va new PC.  Mines completely shit itself and is like 20 years old.  Anyone use one of those all in one desktops?  I don't do games or anything, just music, internet browsing and YouTube.  They are cheap and seem handy.  Any good?

Edit: forget that.  I just got a cheap ass $650 desktop tower to replace my 20 year old Windows XP computer.

Next thing, security.  Is this Windows Defender good enough or to I need more?  The guy in the store tried to sell me Norton for $128!!  Wasn't having a bar of that.
Norton is trash. Windows Defender is good enough, unless you like visiting sketchy websites and like to click on all the popup links  :biggrin:

I would recommend also running the free version of Malwarebytes. I seems to catch the crap that Defender occasionally misses.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1008 on: October 23, 2020, 07:43:40 PM »

Norton is trash. Windows Defender is good enough, unless you like visiting sketchy websites and like to click on all the popup links  :biggrin:

I would recommend also running the free version of Malwarebytes. I seems to catch the crap that Defender occasionally misses.

Thanks mate.  Quick bit of reading I've done seems to backup what you are saying.  I'll source a free version.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1009 on: October 23, 2020, 07:51:12 PM »
I haven't installed a virus scanner since the mid 2000s. Whatever comes with Windows has been more than enough for the past few decades. I used to pore over the firewall settings daily and monitor it like hawk but even that I don't bother anymore.

I haven't had any experience with AIO computers. Some of them look great but I have no clue on their longevity and which brand is dependable. Cheap ass towers is the way to go for basic computer functionality.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: October 23, 2020, 08:05:53 PM »
I haven't installed a virus scanner since the mid 2000s. Whatever comes with Windows has been more than enough for the past few decades. I used to pore over the firewall settings daily and monitor it like hawk but even that I don't bother anymore.

I haven't had any experience with AIO computers. Some of them look great but I have no clue on their longevity and which brand is dependable. Cheap ass towers is the way to go for basic computer functionality.

I have had Norton in the past but never had any real reason for needing it for years though truthfully.

Setup of the PC was pretty easy.  Dunno what the he'll Microsoft Edge is though.  Better than Chrome or Firefox?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1011 on: October 23, 2020, 08:18:46 PM »
The new MS Edge is made up of most of the same code as Chrome. I find it very good. I actually really liked the old Edge which MS built from scratch. That's why it looks and behaves very similar to chrome. I haven't even installed chrome on my new setup. Curious what the specs on your tower are.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1012 on: October 23, 2020, 08:22:29 PM »
Depends on who you ask, I don't see too much difference between the big browsers and it comes down preference sometimes.  I heard good things about the new Edge, but I have little interest to try it being tied into Chrome because I'm so comfortable with it.  However, for work, I toggle between chrome/safari/firefox because work apps seem to behave better in some browsers over others.  :huh: (being that I work in tech, I think it's ridiculous)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1013 on: October 23, 2020, 08:23:53 PM »
Thanks lads.  Will see how this Edge goes.  Seems fine for me.  This is what I got;

https://support.hp.com/th-en/document/c06639644

HP Slim Desktop - S01-aF0104a

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1014 on: October 23, 2020, 08:27:45 PM »
Thanks lads.  Will see how this Edge goes.  Seems fine for me.  This is what I got;

https://support.hp.com/th-en/document/c06639644

HP Slim Desktop - S01-aF0104a

Very cool, it's got an NVMe SSD that alone will make your new PC fly. Specs look good, it should serve you well.