Author Topic: The PC thread  (Read 101263 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The PC thread
« Reply #700 on: June 08, 2020, 08:40:35 PM »
Looks very nice  :yarr and you have a cool color design, no hard drives? just the two SSDs besides I guess two m.2?  also those 480G intels are solid since we use them at work

Offline faizoff

« Reply #701 on: June 08, 2020, 08:46:46 PM »
Those Intel drives I bought in 2014 and I happened to catch them on sale. One is a 240GB and the other is a 480GB, but they are really fast even by today's standards for a SATA SSD (It butts right up to the SATA III bandwidth limit) and super durable.
Ah ok, I for some reason thought they were the NVMe non SATA ones. I'm researching M.2 NVMe PCIe drives and the Western Digital Black SSDs NVMe drives have some amazing read/write speeds. The Intel Optane ones are highly rated too and thought those might be them.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #702 on: June 08, 2020, 09:11:44 PM »
Looks very nice  :yarr and you have a cool color design, no hard drives? just the two SSDs besides I guess two m.2?  also those 480G intels are solid since we use them at work
Yeah I have a couple of M.2 drives as well. And another 2TB Samsung SSD mounted behind the motherboard tray.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #703 on: June 30, 2020, 01:28:21 AM »
I love watching this guys videos, this was a good one: Spying on the Scammers [Part 1/4]
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline faizoff

« Reply #704 on: June 30, 2020, 07:05:34 PM »
I love watching this guys videos, this was a good one: Spying on the Scammers [Part 1/4]

Love Jim Browning, been watching his videos for a few years. That particular series of videos he did were amazing and the BBC made a documentary on these scammers that eventually led to some arrests for those scam artists. Though if you watch his other videos you can see how easy these setups are to restart and obfuscate their locations, Jim does some amazing work to infiltrate and try to save as many people as possible from their scams.

It's kinda amazing that these scammers make bank which is why they keep doing it, one of them he showed was making $3 million USD per month! that's USD!

Great videos.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #705 on: June 30, 2020, 07:26:12 PM »

Wow. That was awesome.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #706 on: July 03, 2020, 07:14:11 PM »
Those Intel drives I bought in 2014 and I happened to catch them on sale. One is a 240GB and the other is a 480GB, but they are really fast even by today's standards for a SATA SSD (It butts right up to the SATA III bandwidth limit) and super durable.
Ah ok, I for some reason thought they were the NVMe non SATA ones. I'm researching M.2 NVMe PCIe drives and the Western Digital Black SSDs NVMe drives have some amazing read/write speeds. The Intel Optane ones are highly rated too and thought those might be them.

I don't know a lot about the optanes, but I believe they only show benefit when using them in conjunction with hdds.  Just so you don't waste your money :).
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline T-ski

« Reply #707 on: July 07, 2020, 03:38:41 PM »
Guess this the best spot to put this, so....

I will preface this by saying I am not the most tech savvy guy in the world.

Looking for help to increase WiFi signal around the house. We have about an 1800 square foot home and it’s about 80 years old. On most wireless devices we’re getting around 150 mbps, while on the hardwire it’s around 225 mbps. We recently added a small porch to the front of the house and when we check the speed it’s around 35 to 40. Bought an extender to try an help but when we switch to that the signal is almost nothing. So basically, inside the front door the signal is good, outside the front door the signal is bad. What’s more odd is that we get all the neighbors WiFi names on our devices while we’re outside so we know it should be possible to boost ours.

We love sitting on the porch when the weather is nice so it’d be good to get better WiFi. Any suggestions?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #708 on: July 07, 2020, 06:57:27 PM »

Looking for help to increase WiFi signal around the house. We have about an 1800 square foot home and it’s about 80 years old. On most wireless devices we’re getting around 150 mbps, while on the hardwire it’s around 225 mbps. We recently added a small porch to the front of the house and when we check the speed it’s around 35 to 40. Bought an extender to try an help but when we switch to that the signal is almost nothing. So basically, inside the front door the signal is good, outside the front door the signal is bad. What’s more odd is that we get all the neighbors WiFi names on our devices while we’re outside so we know it should be possible to boost ours.

We love sitting on the porch when the weather is nice so it’d be good to get better WiFi. Any suggestions?
What kind of router and wifi extenders are you currently using?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #709 on: July 07, 2020, 07:08:13 PM »

Router is a TP Link AC1750, extender is a TP Link as well, not sure of the model, but I know it’s nothing fancy.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #710 on: July 07, 2020, 07:13:11 PM »
Have you tried both 2.4 and 5 bands?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #711 on: July 07, 2020, 07:19:22 PM »

Router is a TP Link AC1750, extender is a TP Link as well, not sure of the model, but I know it’s nothing fancy.
How feasible would it be for you to retrofit a CAT6 cable as close as possible to the porch area that is giving you trouble? If it's possible I'd recommend getting an Access Point instead of the extenders (extenders almost never never work well, despite what they advertise) and hardwiring it into the router.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline T-ski

« Reply #712 on: July 07, 2020, 07:59:58 PM »
Have you tried both 2.4 and 5 bands?

Yes

Offline T-ski

« Reply #713 on: July 07, 2020, 08:12:32 PM »

How feasible would it be for you to retrofit a CAT6 cable as close as possible to the porch area that is giving you trouble? If it's possible I'd recommend getting an Access Point instead of the extenders (extenders almost never never work well, despite what they advertise) and hardwiring it into the router.

After researching this, I’m not sure I’m skilled enough to do this.  :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #714 on: July 07, 2020, 09:30:06 PM »

I don't have that much experience with extenders, my house is around the same size and I used to have crappy reception in certain corners of the house. I then upgraded my router to a Netgear 6700 which is similar to yours AC1750 but has quite a consistent and strong range. I don't have any issues anywhere with my wifi.

What kind of walls do you have in your house, since you say it's an 80 year old home, mine are drywalls and the signals has no issues passing through. If yours are concrete I would imagine that would be one major reason.

I have no expertise in extending networks but I'd probably try what puppies suggests with an Access point rather than an extender.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #715 on: July 08, 2020, 06:05:15 AM »
+1 with upgrading to a beast of a router rather than dealing with extenders. I was in the exact same position you are. I was having trouble getting Netflix in my gazebo.

Faizoff, is this the one you have? If so, I have the same one and got a much better signal both inside and outside my house. Basement is good to go as well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R2AZLD2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought the above over three years ago (for twice as much  :lol) and it's still working very well. I imagine the newer and more expensive models are even better.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #716 on: July 08, 2020, 06:13:15 AM »
Chino, that's the exact one I have. Been a year since I bought it and it's been running amazing so far.

Just looked at my order invoice from Amazon and I paid $81 for it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #717 on: July 08, 2020, 06:23:27 AM »
I just checked my invoice as well. I didn't quite pay double. Turns out I paid only $134.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: July 12, 2020, 08:11:35 AM »
What monitor are you guys running? I think I want to get a new monitor and rearrange my desk. I've been eyeing the samsung g7 but the thing has a pretty aggressive curve to it, I'm not sure if I'll like it.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #719 on: July 12, 2020, 10:48:39 AM »
That G7 monitor looks great, I myself currently use two 27" 1080p monitors, Asus and Planar. I'm planning out my upgrade for next year to 4k monitors and this time I want to move to 32" and also want to make sure it supports HDR for media playback. I'm not getting with gaming in mind so I'm still in the research phase.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:27:07 AM by faizoff »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: July 12, 2020, 11:07:44 AM »
I have a 24 inch Acer 1080P monitor from like 10 years ago.  I have this new Dell 27 inch monitor that I was using to replace my Acer but it's not up to par for gaming even with a 2k resolution, the 60hz refresh rate doesn't work well for getting this high FPS so I use that new Dell monitor (it was from my office at work) is my second side monitor.    I definitely want to upgrade at some point, but I'm not sure I want to game at 4k so I don't think I want to dump insanes amount of money if the end result is that I'm going to want to game at 1080 anyway for the FPS.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #721 on: July 12, 2020, 10:14:14 PM »

Also, what kind of modem do you have?  If the modem is old, you may be running into a technology bottle neck (your modem could be a couple of generations old compared to the signal that is coming into your home from your service).  Getting a newer modem equipped with the latest tech may really help your signal and couple that with a new router with several antennas and it may fix your problem.

Also, it is always possible that someone has hacked into your signal and it running torrents on it all day long.  That would crap out your signal as well.  So try changing your password.  That might be the cheapest possible fix.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #722 on: July 12, 2020, 11:07:28 PM »

Also, what kind of modem do you have?  If the modem is old, you may be running into a technology bottle neck (your modem could be a couple of generations old compared to the signal that is coming into your home from your service).  Getting a newer modem equipped with the latest tech may really help your signal and couple that with a new router with several antennas and it may fix your problem.

Also, it is always possible that someone has hacked into your signal and it running torrents on it all day long.  That would crap out your signal as well.  So try changing your password.  That might be the cheapest possible fix.
I doubt his modem is the issue, since he's getting 150mbps on most devices. And while it's technically possibly somebody is piggybacking onto his WiFi, I still don't think that's the issue. Changing the WiFi password couldn't hurt, though.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline T-ski

« Reply #723 on: July 13, 2020, 08:35:39 AM »

Modem was replaced when we got the new router.  Both are only six months old. Our porch is just in a bad spot for WiFi.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #724 on: July 13, 2020, 09:26:54 AM »
I actually switched over from a TP link a few months ago because I was having dropout's upstairs. I upgraded to an Amplifi router with an upstairs access point, all in all it cost around $300 but it was really worth cost. I used UBNT devices when I ran a hotel years ago and their proprietary communications software (can't remember the name at the moment) between stations and AP's was stellar.

You can always try an amplifi router out and return it if it doesn't work.

One more thing that you can try is different antenna placement on your TP Link.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #725 on: July 13, 2020, 06:47:24 PM »
I actually switched over from a TP link a few months ago because I was having dropout's upstairs. I upgraded to an Amplifi router with an upstairs access point, all in all it cost around $300 but it was really worth cost. I used UBNT devices when I ran a hotel years ago and their proprietary communications software (can't remember the name at the moment) between stations and AP's was stellar.

You can always try an amplifi router out and return it if it doesn't work.

One more thing that you can try is different antenna placement on your TP Link.
The Amplifi stuff from Ubiqiuti is indeed a great solution if hardwiring a regular access point is not possible.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: July 14, 2020, 06:12:52 AM »
Once I got into ubiquti stuff years back it's always been my favorite hardware. Their commercial stuff is no nonsense and works beautifully. The amplifi stuff is just stellar.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #727 on: July 14, 2020, 01:31:31 PM »
Once I got into ubiquti stuff years back it's always been my favorite hardware. Their commercial stuff is no nonsense and works beautifully. The amplifi stuff is just stellar.
For work I use their point to point antennas a lot. They just work so well.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline faizoff

« Reply #728 on: July 16, 2020, 08:04:19 AM »
I've known that the actor Henry Cavill loves PC gaming, It looks like he posted his own PC build, a lot of parts are what I've been looking to upgrade to.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CCs-N1Eh2Z5/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #729 on: July 16, 2020, 08:46:04 AM »
I've known that the actor Henry Cavill loves PC gaming, It looks like he posted his own PC build, a lot of parts are what I've been looking to upgrade to.

You're finally moving on? I've been having an issue with my setup, and I knocked around the idea of rebuilding. I started looking at benchmarks a couple of days ago and the mid-range now is only marginally better than what I've got. The i5 and r5 chips seem to be about 30-40% faster than my 9 year old, overclocked i5, and I don't feel terribly inclined to start from scratch for that amount of benefit. I usually don't upgrade until I can double whatever performance I'm looking at. While I'm sure I could, I also consider paying a premium for the newest stuff super-wasteful. There might be a sweet spot where I can buy a early 2019 i7 for a reasonable price, but that's a harder thing to look into.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: July 16, 2020, 08:52:12 AM »

You're finally moving on? I've been having an issue with my setup, and I knocked around the idea of rebuilding. I started looking at benchmarks a couple of days ago and the mid-range now is only marginally better than what I've got. The i5 and r5 chips seem to be about 30-40% faster than my 9 year old, overclocked i5, and I don't feel terribly inclined to start from scratch for that amount of benefit. I usually don't upgrade until I can double whatever performance I'm looking at. While I'm sure I could, I also consider paying a premium for the newest stuff super-wasteful. There might be a sweet spot where I can buy a early 2019 i7 for a reasonable price, but that's a harder thing to look into.

Are you only looking at clock speed?  I'm very happy with my AMD chip in my new build, AMD has more cores per cost. Even at work where we are an intel based shop, we are starting to test AMD servers because the cost per core is cheaper. 

Offline faizoff

« Reply #731 on: July 16, 2020, 09:06:28 AM »

I'm not upgrading just yet on CPU+RAM+Mobo(+ SSD NVMe PCIe). Unless something completely fails I will probably only upgrade those parts next year. I'm gearing up to get a 4k setup mostly for media viewing and faster encoding. I don't game as much as I used to and I did get an RX 590 8 GB Radeon which is good enough for me for at least another few years.

I've been reading up on benchmarks and tech reviews of various CPUs and I think this time I'm going to spring for an R9 or i9 category. Several applications have taken use of the multi threaded cores that are now available. The Ryzen 9 3900X is at the top of my wish list and by the looks of the best bang for the buck and right now there's a great deal going on for it. But I'm still in research mode and don't need the parts just yet.

The reading is a fun way to catch up on new technologies and see what else I might be missing out on.  I haven't checked exactly how much of a performance gain I'd get across the same category upgrade, since I'm most likely going to get a much higher performance category I'm sure the difference will be highly noticeable. Especially for media encoding, I have a large collection of blurays and now 4k blurays which take a ton of time to encode on my current machine. That would be my biggest motivation to get the best performing machine at a somewhat decent price.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #732 on: July 16, 2020, 09:15:50 AM »

Are you only looking at clock speed?  I'm very happy with my AMD chip in my new build, AMD has more cores per cost. Even at work where we are an intel based shop, we are starting to test AMD servers because the cost per core is cheaper.
Synthetic benchmarks. Though in some tests newer chips do significantly outperform. As a rule the more threads that can be utilized the greater the difference in performance. As for AMD vs Intel, what I've been using for the last 9 years was my first Intel build after years of AMD loyalty, and I can safely say I'm never going back. Not only has it been a monstrous overachiever, the driver support is just so much better. It's probably not fair, but my hatred of Radeon has really soured me on AMD across the board.

I'm not upgrading just yet on CPU+RAM+Mobo(+ SSD NVMe PCIe). Unless something completely fails I will probably only upgrade those parts next year. I'm gearing up to get a 4k setup mostly for media viewing and faster encoding. I don't game as much as I used to and I did get an RX 590 8 GB Radeon which is good enough for me for at least another few years.

I've been reading up on benchmarks and tech reviews of various CPUs and I think this time I'm going to spring for an R9 or i9 category. Several applications have taken use of the multi threaded cores that are now available. The Ryzen 9 3900X is at the top of my wish list and by the looks of the best bang for the buck and right now there's a great deal going on for it. But I'm still in research mode and don't need the parts just yet.

The reading is a fun way to catch up on new technologies and see what else I might be missing out on.  I haven't checked exactly how much of a performance gain I'd get across the same category upgrade, since I'm most likely going to get a much higher performance category I'm sure the difference will be highly noticeable. Especially for media encoding, I have a large collection of blurays and now 4k blurays which take a ton of time to encode on my current machine. That would be my biggest motivation to get the best performing machine at a somewhat decent price.

Alright. was just seeing if your 2500k was no longer working for you. For video encoding you'll no doubt see a big difference. Like I said, the more threads the greater the boost. Since I usually play older games, and don't mind letting something encode overnight, it's just not a big problem for me yet. I was just knocking around the idea of rebuilding rather than troubleshooting (and may still go that route).
E.F. Benson

Offline faizoff

« Reply #733 on: July 16, 2020, 09:25:59 AM »
Alright. was just seeing if your 2500k was no longer working for you. For video encoding you'll no doubt see a big difference. Like I said, the more threads the greater the boost. Since I usually play older games, and don't mind letting something encode overnight, it's just not a big problem for me yet. I was just knocking around the idea of rebuilding rather than troubleshooting (and may still go that route).

What issues are you having? I too mostly play older games which ran mostly fine on the 6870 but I really wanted to play GTA V and it was a very crappy experience. Getting the new GPU sort of put me on the path to upgrade and scratched that upgrade itch so I can at least hold off on fully upgrading for now.

From what I've read the AMD driver support now is top notch for their newer lineups of GPUs and CPUs. I'd imagine you can't go wrong with either CPU nowadays unless the product is a complete failure ala the first AMD Bulldriver CPUs.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: July 16, 2020, 09:34:03 AM »
The Ryzen 9 3900X is at the top of my wish list and by the looks of the best bang for the buck

This is what I put in my new build and can attest to it being a beast of a CPU. 

As for AMD vs Intel, what I've been using for the last 9 years was my first Intel build after years of AMD loyalty, and I can safely say I'm never going back. Not only has it been a monstrous overachiever, the driver support is just so much better. It's probably not fair, but my hatred of Radeon has really soured me on AMD across the board. 

Well 9 years ago Intel was definitely a better product than AMD.  Seems the tide has changed in recent years though.  Many people, myself included, have moved from Intel to AMD.  I had never used AMD before and typically just would go with a top rated and reviewed CPU that met my requirements (I7 2600k -> I7 6500k -> Ryzen 9 3900x from my last three builds).  I don't think you should let your hatred of Radeon hold you back today, you can throw an Nvidia graphics card on an AMD CPU build.