Author Topic: The PC thread  (Read 101287 times)

Offline faizoff

Re: The PC thread
« Reply #665 on: May 21, 2020, 09:55:03 AM »

MSI Prestige X570 Creation Motherboard (AMD AM4, DDR4, PCIe 4.0, SATA 6Gb/s, M.2, USB 3.2, AX Wi-Fi 6, 10G Super LAN, Extended-ATX)

Wow just looked up that motherboard and it sure is a mother. I thought my mobo was expensive when I spent close to $200 on it. That doesn't even compare. Though yours is probably what I'll be looking at down the line when I want to upgrade.
Epic Games had/has a freebie up for grabs for GTA V. I finally was able to get this bad boy after years of waiting to be on sale. Being a casual gamer I never spend more than $5 on a game. Can't believe this game is a 91 GB download and will barely run on 1080 with all settings turned off on my Radeon HD 6870.
The 6870 has treated me very well but it's showing is age as a 10 yr old card at this point. I'm probably going to look at some cards as a gateway to upgrade. I was thinking of the RX 580/590 or even the GTX 1060. I'm kinda weary about spending more than $200 on a GPU TBH.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #666 on: May 21, 2020, 11:11:38 AM »

MSI Prestige X570 Creation Motherboard (AMD AM4, DDR4, PCIe 4.0, SATA 6Gb/s, M.2, USB 3.2, AX Wi-Fi 6, 10G Super LAN, Extended-ATX)

Wow just looked up that motherboard and it sure is a mother. I thought my mobo was expensive when I spent close to $200 on it. That doesn't even compare.

Yea, thanks to Puppies for showing me that and I immediately fell in love, not with the price of course, but I've been sitting on cash that would have gone to concerts so might as well use it on something I can enjoy from home.   I mean, my PC is where I spent most of my awake time at home so I don't mind throwing money at it to be the best experience I can make it.  There's so many features on the mobo that make me drool.  I'm looking forward to building it and then seeing it come to life.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #667 on: May 21, 2020, 11:20:23 AM »
Yeah I too spend a lot of time on my PC which is why the next upgrade will probably be closer to the top of the line for my use cases. Until that time, it's just more research.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #668 on: May 21, 2020, 11:45:37 AM »
It helps that I work in IT and have access to some discarded equipment, specifically NVMe drives which that mobo can support a good amount of.  The negativie is that I swap motherboards with some regularity at work and doing it at home isn't nearly as easy.  Servers are designed to just have parts replaced but home PCs can be such a PITA especially to make all the internal cables look clean and hidden.  That's my least favorite part of the whole process.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #669 on: May 21, 2020, 10:42:53 PM »
Cram that build list looks sweeeeeeet!

I have been spending a shit ton of time on r/pcmasterrace and other PC centric subreddits lately....

I have the bug to build a PC. But I don't have the funds (I could save for it), nor the space (tiny studio apartment... no room). I am slowly trying to warm my other half up to the idea of building something mid range to keep by the TV for streaming and some gaming, but seeing as we just bought new laptops, it's hard to justify.

Also... the fact that I have NEVER done anything more than add RAM to a laptop (which I just did), makes her skeptical.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #670 on: May 21, 2020, 11:41:27 PM »
Cram that build list looks sweeeeeeet!

I have been spending a shit ton of time on r/pcmasterrace and other PC centric subreddits lately....

I have the bug to build a PC. But I don't have the funds (I could save for it), nor the space (tiny studio apartment... no room). I am slowly trying to warm my other half up to the idea of building something mid range to keep by the TV for streaming and some gaming, but seeing as we just bought new laptops, it's hard to justify.

Also... the fact that I have NEVER done anything more than add RAM to a laptop (which I just did), makes her skeptical.

It's not as hard as it looks.  And with all the video tutorials on YouTube nowadays, it's pretty easy to do.  Back when I started all the info I could find was in remote blog posts that might have a few fuzzy pics.  I was sweating bullets when I built my first one and thought it might blow up when I plugged it in.  Fortunately it worked just fine.  But yeah, save your money, it's worth it.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #671 on: May 22, 2020, 08:57:10 AM »
It's really not that difficult but what can be troublesome is if something isn't working and having to troubleshoot that.  Thats the type of stuff that makes you panic thinking you might have broken something expensive but then again, even if so, with todays return policies you can probably figure out an exchange.  I had to do this on my last build.  I think I had a bad motherboard and I couldnt figure out why it wouldn't work so eventually returned it.  But that was a huge headache and lead to a lot of frustration when troubleshooting.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #672 on: May 26, 2020, 04:24:51 PM »
It all came much earlier than expected

Going to be a fun weekend, I've got to start doing some data moves this week to consolidate drives

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #673 on: May 26, 2020, 05:09:56 PM »
Definitely post some finished pics!  :tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline faizoff

« Reply #674 on: May 28, 2020, 08:54:08 AM »
That's awesome cram.

I've been looking at the threadripper as a potential candidate for my upgrade.
I was also thinking of getting the Radeon 580 as a stop gap measure for my current build. It will give me native 4k plus okay some of the more modern games without needing a full cpu mobo overhaul.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #675 on: June 01, 2020, 12:39:58 PM »
Took the day off from work to do this and my first post on DTF with the new PC build:

also using a new monitor so quite the change  :metal All my new storage seems operational as well.  Now the long wait of downloading my games.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #676 on: June 01, 2020, 02:48:29 PM »
Nice! :tup

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #677 on: June 01, 2020, 03:30:36 PM »
That is slick, Marc. Loving the inside of that tower. Those white sheets used as part of your lighting for videos or something?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #678 on: June 01, 2020, 06:18:54 PM »
Yea, need lighting for the green screen effect and it looks stupid, but that's the only spot I can put the front ones unless I move my home office to the basement. 

Sooooo

I totally fried my new PC.  To be specific, I fried windows 10.  I don't really understand why this happened, everything seemed legit.  I set up all my apps and everything worked perfectly.  My motherboard comes with a CD for some software and drivers.  I installed a bunch of them, things I felt I might use.... including an audio driver.  I think this is the culprit.  After reboot (it installed almost all the drivers at once and did a reboot) the audio was really funky.  Specifically, it wouldn't play anything out of the speakers.  Only my headphones.  Second, windows didn't recognize any media files anymore.  MP3s/MP4/whatever, none of them would play.  I downloaded VLC and it worked there, but that didn't solve my speaker issue.  I uninstalled and reinstalled audio drivers, disabled that new one I installed.  I tried it all, nothing worked for getting audio out of the speakers.  Even tried the chassis speaker output and not the motherboard (granted, this was working earlier out of the motherboard port).  Anyway, I ran the windows troubleshoot which as it ran, it totally froze my PC.  Dead, nothing.  I rebooted it, it booted up but same issue PLUS it ruined my 3 hour into Call of Duty download.  I decided to re-install windows since that would be easier to just reset everything as I already need to redownload the biggest file I am most eagerly anticipating.... and now I'm down a whole different rabbit hole of not working, I can't get windows installed at all.  Found some good tips on reformating the drive and removing other drives.  I feel like every time I fix one issue, another pops up.  I'm so lost and confused and frustrated at this point.  I'm really not wanting to revert to my old motherboard just to hold me over as that's at least an hour of work just to do that, and at this point, I'm not even positive I could bring that back to life without a windows reinstall, which is exactly what I'm struggling wtih now.   >:( :censored >:(

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: June 01, 2020, 06:22:26 PM »
Dude...  :( :( :( Hoping for a miracle, man.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #680 on: June 01, 2020, 06:32:01 PM »
So weird, I jinxed myself too by telling everyone how surprised I was when EVERYTHING seemed to work perfectly on the first try.  Sadly enough, I fried a previous install of windows by messing with the audio drivers, clearly I didn't learn my lesson.  That time, it installed fine though which I expected here and to just lose 3 hours of program install/configuration time...

Offline faizoff

« Reply #681 on: June 01, 2020, 06:44:24 PM »
Looks great, what kind of SSD do you have? Been reading up a lot on NVMe on PCIe 4.0 lately, the speeds are ridiculous though don't work much for gaming, more like video editing and such.
Didn't see you reply regarding the issues. That sucks.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #682 on: June 01, 2020, 07:46:30 PM »
Troubleshooting PCs can be a great learning experience or an absolute pain in the ass, I got my RX 580 card yesterday and after plugging everything in, video didn't work. No signal, nothing. After hours and hours of troubleshooting, searching the internet, I figured it was DOA and getting ready to return it and then a thought occurred to me to just clear the CMOS... and that worked! Don't know why I didn't think of it earlier.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: June 01, 2020, 08:16:07 PM »
Funny how a friend mentioned that to me, and this new mobo has a button on the outside to just click and it does that.   However, I figured out the problem.  Since I accidently reformatted my windows 10 USB key, I had to make a new one.  It appeared to work but the install kept failing.  I tried something different, which was in the notes on the guide I was using.  Since I didn't have my old windows PC available I had to use my work macbook, but macs don't natively allow you to format a USB to boot windows.  Had to do some command line stuff, simple enough except it didnt work the first many times and it worked now because I changed the partitioning from GPT to MBR and the install kicked off.  I then added all my drives back in after it completed.  Now everything is working.  Audio works as expected too (initial issue).  I'm so happy to have this fixed, and yet so annoyed I lost literally 6 hours of my day troubleshooting this. 

Anyway, as to my storage set up (it's complex, and was not a reason for my issues)

1x 500G M.2 NVMe, this is my OS drive
2x 1.6TB PCIe NVMe, I don't seem to be able to RAID0 these, so I created a spanned volume so both of these look like one big drive to Widows.  This is where I will install all games and applications.  NOTHING, but the OS will get installed on the C (M.2) drive.
1x 3TB SATA, this is for my old historical data.  This is full and I will migrate this data too...
2x 4TB SATA, one is from my old PC and is about 2/3 full of video storage.  I added a second one, I will migrate the data off the 3TB onto this 4TB and remove the 3TB drive. 
2x 2TB SSD drives, one is from my old PC and is full storing all my video game footage and active video edits.  I added a second and will use this for extended active video storage

so that's 5/6 of my SATA ports on the mobo, the 6th goes to my blu-ray drive, and once I decom that 3TB drive, Ill use the open SATA port to connect my SATA connector on my chassis which allows me to pop an external bare hard drive right into it.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #684 on: June 01, 2020, 10:25:07 PM »
Looking good Cram! Glad you got your issues worked out too. If I had got home earlier from work I might have been able to help you out, but it seems everything is working fine now. Question, are you planning on swapping out the cpu cooler? The stock one looks nice and even performs decently well, but the 3900x can be a fairly warm running chip and too get the most out of the Precision Boost it's best to keep it as cool as possible. A 280mm liquid AIO would work best, or if you are adverse to using liquid cooling the BeQuiet! Darkrock Pro 4 is amazing too.

I really need to get some pictures of my rig up on here. I had an issue with one of the new sticks of ram I put in mine, so I'm just waiting for the replacement set with should be coming in on Thursday. I'm also going to be swapping out all the cables for some white sleeved cables. I'll take some pictures after that and post them.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #685 on: June 01, 2020, 11:30:08 PM »
Liquid cooling will come with time, this build is using the stock CPU fan which is really nice.  I essentially took my state tax return and used it on the CPU/MOBO/RAM and that was my budget, for now ($1200).  Figured the cool looking fan will work fine for now, as well as my GTX 1080 so it wasn't necessary to spend more right now.  The liquid cooling is probably next upgrade once I decom the 3TB drive, then I have GPU, CPU, and memory for paths to upgrade with this build.

Also, while I knew this motherboard was larger, I didn't realize how big it was until I popped it in and realized I needed to reroute all my internal cables to the outer slots for a cleaner look.  Came out pretty well, debating about also adding LED strips to my upgrade list because of the support this mobo has, plus I LOVE the look of it already and feel I can add onto it. 

and... the USB support is amazing on this. I used most of my motherboard USB ports, but because of all the extenders I still have all my case USB ports, including 3.0, that work.  I finally installed windows on one of my case USB 3.0 ports  :corn I have more open connectors on my motherboard for USB so I'm thinking of buying one of those SD card slots to put in the front of the case (to replace that unused DVD drive you see and isnt connected) as I use an SD card for my concert camera.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: June 02, 2020, 11:53:12 AM »
Yay Marc! Happy to hear it's working again!!

My PC (gathering dust, holy shit  :lol) has an SD card slot on the top. It rules.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #687 on: June 02, 2020, 01:47:46 PM »
 :lol one more SD slot than me

I finally kicked off some game installs and a data transfer before going to bed around 3am absolutely exhausted, but I'm so happy to report no issues today.  I removed my old 3TB drive as the data transfer completed and made some more adjustments on my settings... now I've got Call of Duty back running, but I'm trying to reconfigure all my settings with OBS to record properly.  Lots of testing going on today.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #688 on: June 03, 2020, 06:48:36 AM »
I use this front panel card reader. It's a life saver. Makes USB and SLR transfers a breeze.

https://www.newegg.com/product/N82E16817182381?ignorebbr=1&m_ver=1

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #689 on: June 03, 2020, 07:09:03 AM »
:lol one more SD slot than me

I finally kicked off some game installs and a data transfer before going to bed around 3am absolutely exhausted, but I'm so happy to report no issues today.  I removed my old 3TB drive as the data transfer completed and made some more adjustments on my settings... now I've got Call of Duty back running, but I'm trying to reconfigure all my settings with OBS to record properly.  Lots of testing going on today.

Awesome build Marc. I hope it stays problem free. I had a similar issue when I built my most recent PC. It would not boot into Windows, ended up having to reformat my OS SSD, it was strange because it wouldn't even post half the time.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #690 on: June 07, 2020, 08:39:37 PM »
Hey Marc, can you try this and report back? Omg  :lol :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: June 08, 2020, 07:57:40 AM »
if only RDR2 actually added content into the game to make me even want to load it again

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: June 08, 2020, 08:00:07 AM »
if only RDR2 actually added content into the game to make me even want to load it again

That game has the most content of any game I've ever seen next to GTA 5 Online, WTF  :lol you must have burnt out badly

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #693 on: June 08, 2020, 08:21:09 AM »

That game has the most content of any game I've ever seen next to GTA 5 Online, WTF  :lol you must have burnt out badly

Well the online mode hasn't gotten an update in a loooong time, while GTA5 continues to get regular content added.  Rockstar clearly gave up on the game, likely focusing on GTA 6 IMO.  There's plenty of content for sure, but the online mode ran out real quick.  They didn't even do another season of the outlaw pass which I thought was a given a month or so ago.  Well, I did reinstall it into the new PC (along with GTA 5 again) since I have all that space to install games now, but haven't actually fired it up, nor do I plan to until they potentially add more online content. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: June 08, 2020, 08:23:52 AM »
That's sad that they apparently abandoned the online so fast. I hate how GTA Online has just monopolized their attention. Doesn't it have enough crap already...? I'm still salty GTA5 single player never got DLC after they said it would receive it, because they found out how much bank they could make with Online.

But hell, RDR2 single player, there are still 100 animals I haven't even SEEN yet.  :| So I'll be able to keep busy hahaha

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: June 08, 2020, 08:26:21 AM »
That's sad that they apparently abandoned the online so fast. I hate how GTA Online has just monopolized their attention. Doesn't it have enough crap already...? I'm still salty GTA5 single player never got DLC after they said it would receive it, because they found out how much bank they could make with Online.

But hell, RDR2 single player, there are still 100 animals I haven't even SEEN yet.  :| So I'll be able to keep busy hahaha

I've never even completed RDR2 single player.  My game bugged out during a mission and I didn't want to do it all over again so I haven't gone back.  Also, I was at day like 130 of completed a daily challenge in the online mode before it also bugged out and for whatever reason didn't acknowledge my daily challenge done so it cut my streak.  That was actually what made me stop playing.  I have such a large amount of gold stock piled and nothing worthy to spend it on. 

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #696 on: June 08, 2020, 05:56:49 PM »
Finally got my new RAM installed and took a couple of quick pics for y'all's perusing  :biggrin:

aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: June 08, 2020, 05:58:53 PM »
Good lord that is beautiful  :hefdaddy

Offline faizoff

« Reply #698 on: June 08, 2020, 06:54:40 PM »
Damn that looks amazing puppies.

What kind of Corsair cooling unit is that? Also those looks like Intel SSDs, how are they?

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #699 on: June 08, 2020, 08:10:53 PM »
Damn that looks amazing puppies.

What kind of Corsair cooling unit is that? Also those looks like Intel SSDs, how are they?
Thanks for the compliments. I appreciate it. It is, after all, what I started my business doing, so it better look good  :lol Also it's not quite finished. I want to do some more custom fabrication on the case and perhaps a custom paint job inside and out. Haven't truly decided on a design yet. It's going to be a black and white theme though.

The Corsair is the iCUE H115i RGB PRO XT. It doesn't work quite as well as my old Fractal Design Celsius S36, but it didn't quite fit my overall Black/White/Ice theme, so I put it in my wifes computer.

Those Intel drives I bought in 2014 and I happened to catch them on sale. One is a 240GB and the other is a 480GB, but they are really fast even by today's standards for a SATA SSD (It butts right up to the SATA III bandwidth limit) and super durable.
aka Puppies_On_Acid