Author Topic: The PC thread  (Read 102731 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The PC thread
« Reply #350 on: March 13, 2016, 09:24:31 PM »
Some people just don't seem to have the mind for problem solving. I'm the de facto computer tech of the house, and often I'm fixing problems I haven't encountered before. If you're stuck, the majority of the time you can get the answer pretty quickly by just Googling it. It's not rocket science!

And so far I have a very high success rate of fixing problems with Android tablets by just turning it off and on again. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #351 on: March 14, 2016, 03:43:19 AM »
My method for solving PC related problems have since as long as I remember been trial and error or Google which usually transcends into other areas. I hate reading manuals!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: March 14, 2016, 05:38:39 AM »
My best friend just told me he wants to throw down the money for me to build him a dual monitor computer for 800-1k  :metal :metal project accepted

I stopped doing that except for business related computers.  Instead, I usually take 30 minutes to 60 minutes to show them how to research and complete the build on their own.  It will be more rewarding in the end.  Not just the "I did it", but being able to troubleshoot on their own because they built it themselves.  If they hit a roadblock, they can ask for help.  But they have to at least made the effort to troubleshoot first.

Not even computer related:  Listened to somebody complain about something house related for almost a year now.  I finally got so tired of hearing it that I:
1- took a pic of the product make and model
2- googled the manual
3- CTRL F'd the specific problem of the pdf file
4- took the steps
5- told them it was fixed.

And I get the "well, you are so good at that."  Reading a manual?  That's not a skill.  It's just a minimal effort.

It's not like he won't get a lesson on the whats and hows, but he isn't a computer guy, a historic apple user, this is a huge step for him.  If you think I'm going to spin it to make him do most of the work with my guidance than this isn't going to work.  I have my own motivations too which is to get another PC gamer to play with.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #353 on: March 25, 2016, 11:47:38 AM »
Guys, I`m totally lost, perhaps one of you can help me out.

Me and my brother wanted to upgrade my brother`s PC (only the graphic card & the HDD are the same as before), so we bought the hardware and reinstalled Windows 7 64-bit.

Current rig:
Mainboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4
Processor: Intel i5-6600K
RAM: GSkill Trident Z 8 GB (2x4 GB)
Graphic Card: Nvidia GeForce GT 720

I actually forgot the HDD and the Power Supply Unit, but I also think that these will not be needed anyways. Now we have two major issues:

1. Sometimes a bluescreen stating "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" appears and, whilst I know it has something to do with the RAM, it definitely isn`t damaged since it`s brand-new and thus I have no idea whatsoever causes the crash.
2. Installing the Nvidia driver for the graphic card will cause dwm.exe to crash and thus almost any game is unplayable (will not even launch or result in random bluescreen). Uninstalling the driver fixes dwm.exe, but doesn`t fix the games (they just won`t launch). Using the onboard Intel HD graphics by installing that driver works though, but some games (e.g. Fallout 4) have serious compability issues with Intel HD.

Any hint in the right direction would be highly appreciated, if additional information is needed regarding the PC just ask me, I`ll provide you with needed info.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: March 25, 2016, 11:57:10 AM »
I may be wrong, but I thought if you change your system (specifically motherboard and/or CPU) it invalidates your Windows license as those keys are meant for one system, but I had never tested that before.  You may need to purchase another license and could be the reason you are getting BSOD.

Also, wouldn't rule out bad memory even if it is new.

« Reply #355 on: March 25, 2016, 12:11:31 PM »
I may be wrong, but I thought if you change your system (specifically motherboard and/or CPU) it invalidates your Windows license as those keys are meant for one system, but I had never tested that before.  You may need to purchase another license and could be the reason you are getting BSOD.

I don`t think it`s the license, since we already reinstalled Windows 7 using the same licence on his PC before and so it would have been invalid long before.

Bad memory on the other hand would suck, but the BSOD only occurs kind of randomly (perhaps within an hour after launching, but I don`t know if that is of any relevance). The only chance I`d have there would be to actually use the warranty and get new ones, isn`t it?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: March 25, 2016, 12:25:16 PM »

I don`t think it`s the license, since we already reinstalled Windows 7 using the same licence on his PC before and so it would have been invalid long before.

Bad memory on the other hand would suck, but the BSOD only occurs kind of randomly (perhaps within an hour after launching, but I don`t know if that is of any relevance). The only chance I`d have there would be to actually use the warranty and get new ones, isn`t it?

That could be relevant as you are possibly not using all of the memory at first but over time as you use the computer the RAM get's used and it hits the bad DIMM.  It's possible.  If it's new I'd imagine you can return it from where you purchased from.  I've had bad PC parts before and was able to return them such as my hard drive I bought from Best Buy this past fall that never worked out of the box.

Calvin6s

« Reply #357 on: March 25, 2016, 01:10:07 PM »
I built a computer in 2007 that was 100% new but had RAM problems, despite the RAM being brand new.  So you can't eliminate the RAM as the culprit simply because it is new.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: March 25, 2016, 09:07:42 PM »
I've had new RAM bad before. It's not uncommon, although it's more likely with the generic brands that don't have as good quality control. I can't remember the name of the program, but there used to be a DOS program that would do a thorough RAM test to diagnose and rule out such problems.

« Reply #359 on: March 26, 2016, 04:58:43 AM »
Alright, thanks for your help, I will check the RAM in the next days and probably return it in case it`s really not working out.

Any ideas regarding the Nvidia driver problem? It`s odd, because my problem seems to be quite specific (if it was the driver in general perhaps millions would freak out), but I have no clue whatsoever what causes this problem.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #360 on: March 26, 2016, 08:01:10 AM »
I've had new RAM bad before. It's not uncommon, although it's more likely with the generic brands that don't have as good quality control. I can't remember the name of the program, but there used to be a DOS program that would do a thorough RAM test to diagnose and rule out such problems.

MemTest86

I've used it successfully many times.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #361 on: March 26, 2016, 08:27:25 AM »
Didn't Nvidia release a bad driver recently that caused alot of problems?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

« Reply #362 on: March 26, 2016, 09:15:35 AM »
Didn't Nvidia release a bad driver recently that caused alot of problems?

Really? I`ve checked the internet a lot recently because of that error and I didn`t notice anything uncommon, I`ll check this again though.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #363 on: March 26, 2016, 09:32:45 AM »
Nvidia has released a new driver for its line of GeForce PC graphics cards. Update 364.51 was intended to remedy issues caused by its predecessor, but instead reports indicate these issues have persisted and, in some cases, worsened.

Users on Nvidia's Geforce forums have complained the latest update is causing drops in framerate, inconsistencies with refresh rates, freezing, and failure to start games, among other issues. Similar problems have been reported by users on the Nvidia sub-Reddit.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nvidias-new-driver-causing-more-problems/1100-6435657/

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: March 26, 2016, 09:53:11 AM »
Nvidia has released a new driver for its line of GeForce PC graphics cards. Update 364.51 was intended to remedy issues caused by its predecessor, but instead reports indicate these issues have persisted and, in some cases, worsened.

Users on Nvidia's Geforce forums have complained the latest update is causing drops in framerate, inconsistencies with refresh rates, freezing, and failure to start games, among other issues. Similar problems have been reported by users on the Nvidia sub-Reddit.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nvidias-new-driver-causing-more-problems/1100-6435657/

Just checked and my Nvidia GeForce Experience is saying to upgrade to that new driver  :lol no thanks now that I know this.

« Reply #365 on: March 26, 2016, 10:25:15 AM »

OK, so I`ll try installing an older driver and watch how it will work out. Any idea which version is safe to install?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #366 on: March 26, 2016, 01:40:37 PM »

OK, so I`ll try installing an older driver and watch how it will work out. Any idea which version is safe to install?
I have 362.00 and it seems to be working for me atleast.

Calvin6s

« Reply #367 on: March 26, 2016, 04:41:30 PM »
As a larger aside (and it could be buried in this thread already), besides "Google", what are some of *your* goto PC troubleshooting websites?

There are some that look like they require membership (or $$$).  I think experts-exchange.com is one of those.  Never tried using them because you can usually do it for free, but has anybody used them and found it not about just getting a solution, but getting a *good* solution *fast*?  You can't always assume $$$ = better.

The number one answer to *every* troubleshooting search always seems to be something like: Safe Mode boot, virus check, defrag, driver check.  While good advice, most have probably already done that or are looking for more detail.

This is a take on that type of troubleshooting basic checklist, but with more steps and detail (but still maintaining general outline format)
The Basic Guide to Troubleshooting Common Windows PC Problems

Anybody use driver update software beyond Windows and Manufacturer website?  I've tinkered with SlimDrivers, but more as a starting point as opposed to just clicking on the results.  Sometimes it feels like the recommendations are questionable.

« Reply #368 on: March 29, 2016, 06:29:10 AM »

Ok, so I actually installed this driver and it worked completely fine, no crashes or whatever. I`m actually surprised that only the broken driver crashed the PC so often. Thanks for the hint on installing an older driver.  :D
Memory errors are still occuring though, but we`ll be resending it today, so in 3-4 days we`ll see if it works out.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #369 on: March 29, 2016, 09:53:21 AM »

Ok, so I actually installed this driver and it worked completely fine, no crashes or whatever. I`m actually surprised that only the broken driver crashed the PC so often. Thanks for the hint on installing an older driver.  :D
Memory errors are still occuring though, but we`ll be resending it today, so in 3-4 days we`ll see if it works out.
Oh that's cool, no problem.   :)

I used to just install the latest Nvidia driver without thinking much but after hearing from friends and reading on internet how new drivers can cause issues I usually check before I install.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: March 29, 2016, 09:54:29 AM »
Funny because my brother bought a new GTX 970 and installed it yesterday with the newest drivers and so far he has no issues.  I was going to warn him as he was doing the install, but figured, let him do it.... for science.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #371 on: April 04, 2016, 06:06:28 AM »
So I bought this microsoft Xbox 360 wireless controller to play on my alienware pc that runs windows 8.1 and I can´t get the damn thing to work. The receiver is working, the controller itself seems to be working, the software is installed and it does jack shit. Tried updating the drivers, but it still doesn´t work. Could it be this is for 32 bit system and I have a 64 bit? Some help would be appreciated.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: April 04, 2016, 06:20:24 AM »
I doubt it. . . . My brother uses his 360 controller on his 64 bit windows 10 system. Is the bluetooth dongle recognized in your windows device manager?

Calvin6s

« Reply #373 on: April 04, 2016, 06:27:53 AM »
Do you have another computer to do a quick test with the controller?

Other than the infamous "do you have it plugged in and turned on" troubleshooting step, eliminating the problem system itself is always a good step.

And not to make light, but I literally fixed somebody's wireless keyboard as they tried for a couple of days telling me the detailed explanation of "it doesn't work" to every question I asked.  When I got there in person, I looked all over the keyboard, found a switch with orange showing, so flipped the switch and now a green sticker was showing.  Hit the windows key, start menu came up.  Said "you turned it off.  I turned it back on."

Next, do you have an Xbox360 in the same room?  I have some headphones that connect great to my smartphone.  They also connect great to my satellite DVR.  But when I'm in the room with my satellite DVR, the fastest way to switch over to my smartphone is to turn the satellite DVR bluetooth off.  Maybe your PC and Xbox360 are fighting each other for the controller?

Oh, also, is there a 4 digit code (or similar) you need to put in for the bluetooth ID?  I think the most common code is 0000.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: April 04, 2016, 07:22:12 AM »
Make sure the controller is synced to the receiver.  If you have never used them together (which seems to be the case) you need to sync them.  There is a little black button on the top of the controller and should also be a button on the receiver, click them both so they both pair.

Also just to confirm the controller is good, use a USB cable and connect to the PC.  Should work that way.  Eliminate the potential of a bad controller.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #375 on: April 04, 2016, 09:53:53 AM »
Wow the receiver showed a green light so I never doubted that that wasn´t the problem. I knew ther were buttons on the receiver and the controller, just never thought of pressing them at the same time.  :facepalm: Seems to be connected fine now.

Thanks!  :hefdaddy
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: April 04, 2016, 10:39:39 AM »
Sweet!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: April 12, 2016, 06:49:16 AM »
So at work Dell sent us two servers with the wrong CPUs installed (typical Dell).  In fact they were better CPUs than what we ordered, but because we want the same specs in all servers in the cluster we complained to Dell and they sent us the correct CPUs and told us to keep the original ones.  Well no other server uses those CPUs so I asked the boss if I can keep them which he agreed that if no one wants them by the end of 2015 then they are yours... well I had forgot about them and then remembered over the weekend when I stumbled upon them and now I just sold them for 1k  :rollin I'm so happy right now.  Nice little bonus thanks to Dell messing up!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #378 on: April 12, 2016, 10:11:24 AM »
Nice!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: April 22, 2016, 07:36:04 AM »
So my friend who asked me to build him a PC a couple weeks ago reached out to me and was wondering the status lol I was like uhhhh I actually haven't started so he said his laptop is just about dead so needs a PC soon.  A budget of around 1k, he wants a small PC form factor, nothing over the top, gaming wasn't necessary, but would be nice (and of course I made this possible) and he needed everything from keyboard and mouse, monitor (he wanted dual 20 inchers and I was like, uh lets just get you a really nice 27" since you dont even have a desk yet  :lol)

So here is the build on amazon:

Rosewill Dual Fans MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case FBM-01
$23.26
You save:
$26.73 (53%)

Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 with Keyboard and Mouse
$27.95
You save:
$2.04 (7%)

ViewSonic VA2746M-LED 27-Inch LED-Lit LCD Monitor, Full HD 1080p, DVI/VGA, Speakers, VESA
$189.99
You save:
$142.01 (43%)

Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 Bit System Builder OEM | PC Disc
$80.00
You save:
$29.99 (27%)

EVGA 500 W1 80+, 500W Continuous Power, 3 Year Warranty Power Supply 100-W1-0500-KR
$39.15
You save:
$0.84 (2%)

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 04G-P4-1962-KR 4GB SC GAMING, 6.8 Inch
$189.99
You save:
$30.00 (14%)

Samsung Electronics 24x SATA Half Height DVD-Writer Internal Optical Drive SH-224FB/BSBE
$17.48
You save:
$41.60 (70%)

Crucial 8GB Single DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-17000) CL15 DR x8 Unbuffered DIMM 288-Pin Desktop Memory CT8G4DFD8213
$29.99
You save:
$30.00 (50%)

ASUS H110M-A LGA 1151 Intel H110 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro-ATX DDR4 Motherboard
$67.16

Intel Boxed Core I5-6500 FC-LGA14C 3.20 Ghz 6 M Processor Cache 4 LGA 1151 BX80662I56500
$203.99
You save:
$137.27 (40%)

Subtotal (10 items): $868.96
Total savings: $440.48

What is not listed here is that I will give him:

Intel 100GB SSD I have from work for the OS
2TB WD Cavier Green I also have from work for his Data
An old wireless USB network adapter I have (I think it was a NetGear, but not a big deal could have bought a new one for 15 but why not)

Any thoughts or opinions?

Calvin6s

« Reply #380 on: April 22, 2016, 05:51:52 PM »
Needs more RAM

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: April 22, 2016, 05:53:48 PM »
Needs more RAM

8GB is not enough for a basic user?  I don't think he needs anymore, but he has room to upgrade since it's one DIMM and there is another slot on the mobo.  Also has 4GB of ram on that graphics card so that helps with gaming (if he actually uses it to game, or graphic intensive programs).

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #382 on: April 22, 2016, 07:36:36 PM »
More than 8GB isn't really necessary unless he intends to do something that requires a lot of memory, such as video or audio work. 8GB is enough even for gaming.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: April 22, 2016, 11:47:46 PM »
8Gb is enough for the average person. At that price I'd probably spring for the extra anyway, but it doesn't need it.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #384 on: April 26, 2016, 09:12:30 AM »
8GB is always plenty for casual usage like mentioned, even for gaming. I recently acquired some cheap RAM to up my PC to 32 GB of total RAM. ;D  I mostly got it because I have several VM's  that I  test out plus do some video editing which I've seen take up the entire amount of RAM.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan