Author Topic: The PC thread  (Read 102013 times)

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: The PC thread
« Reply #770 on: July 28, 2020, 08:25:57 AM »
I'm moving my home office to the basement to have more room and not require AC in the summer. I'm going to build a mega desk and have an unusually large amount of Costco Cash coming my way at the end of the year (I've put a lot of contracting work on the Costco card for the points), and think I'm going to splurge on a nice monitor. I've been toying with the idea of a 34"+ ultra wide for a while now.
After going with my 35" ultrawide I could never go back. It's great for all situations on a PC. Whether I'm gaming, or doing work, editing music files, programming, etc.....it's perfect!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #771 on: July 31, 2020, 07:19:34 AM »
So the monitor arrived yesterday. Other than the new desk, my setup is complete.

Just having a little issue with sound. Now maybe I was a little tired last night but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get sound out of the speakers - until I plugged them into my monitor. Now I have to find an equalizer for Windows 10, because there is no option for one in any of the Win10 sound options. I downloaded a couple, but I could not get any of them to work for some reason. My monitors are very flat and unfortunately heavy on the mids and I don't want to use headphones all the time, so I really need an EQ, especially with all the kinds of music I want to play.

Other than that it runs at the speed of light, never seen a computer this fast in my life. Witcher 3 is kind of old at this point but still seeing it run at 1440p 60fps at maxed out settings with the ultrawide view had me in awe. Running around and catching some vistas was just ridiculous. Also there were literally no loading times wtf  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #772 on: July 31, 2020, 07:29:54 AM »
That's an awesome setup :tup. Have you checked out some of the Witcher HD packs?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #773 on: July 31, 2020, 08:12:13 AM »
So the monitor arrived yesterday. Other than the new desk, my setup is complete.

Just having a little issue with sound. Now maybe I was a little tired last night but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get sound out of the speakers - until I plugged them into my monitor. Now I have to find an equalizer for Windows 10, because there is no option for one in any of the Win10 sound options. I downloaded a couple, but I could not get any of them to work for some reason. My monitors are very flat and unfortunately heavy on the mids and I don't want to use headphones all the time, so I really need an EQ, especially with all the kinds of music I want to play.

Other than that it runs at the speed of light, never seen a computer this fast in my life. Witcher 3 is kind of old at this point but still seeing it run at 1440p 60fps at maxed out settings with the ultrawide view had me in awe. Running around and catching some vistas was just ridiculous. Also there were literally no loading times wtf  :lol

Awesome, ultra widescreen is amazing. And while the Witcher 3 has some aged elements, especially the animations, the game is full of beautiful vistas and unique locations. One of the best open worlds made in my opinion. Furthermore, the DLC Blood and Wine (a seperate campaign with it's own open world, though intented as a sequel) looks even better (technically), as they improved their engine there.

And though I can't really recommend the game itself (I love it, but it really is a hate or love it game), Death Stranding in widescreen looks to be something truly amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly4QoHj1T8Q

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #774 on: July 31, 2020, 08:37:05 AM »

Regarding your sound issues, does it have a discrete soundcard (if so, what model) or are you using the motherboard's sound output (again, if so, what model). Also are the speakers you are using powered speakers or are they on an amp? If they are amplified, I would recommend getting an outboard EQ and running it before the amplifier.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #775 on: July 31, 2020, 08:54:14 AM »
Walrus,

While your in a money spending mood, you should get this USB speaker system. Your computer deserves it!

I have the first series of this model and I love it for both music and gaming.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #776 on: July 31, 2020, 09:15:15 AM »
Thanks guys! I'm so happy with it. I'll make note of the speaker system, but I'm so tapped out for cash at the moment, I'm gonna eat ramen and hot dogs for the next month while I let my bank account heal a little  :lol I haven't checked out Witcher 3 HD packs but now I think I should. The speakers aren't amplified, they're powered, and it doesn't have a discrete soundcard, it's built into the motherboard.

This is the mobo. Now, I have the speakers plugged into the monitor, as it recognizes the monitor as its own sound device (it has its own volume control and headphone jack, where the speakers are plugged in). If I plug the speakers directly into the computer's IO panel, the only one it will recognize is when it's plugged into the line out port. It then shows 'speakers' in the sound menu, but I can't get any sound out of them. Drivers are all updated, but I'll double check when I'm home later. So basically the speakers work when plugged into the monitor but not directly out of the computer even when they're set as the default device.

Also, this computer has an optical audio port. The only other time I've used those is for my soundbar on my main TV. I'm not sure what the purpose of the optical connection is; does it offer better transfer of audio data or something?

Death Stranding is something I think about a lot, but I just can't stand Hideo Kojima games, I think I like them better if I just watch all the cutscenes as a very long movie, but I hate playing them. I would love for some giant Hollywood studio with a massive budget to work with him on an epic movie.

EDIT: I've named all my laptops and PCs after Lord of the Rings/Middle-Earth nomenclature. I've had Arkenstone, Burzum, Barad-dûr, and Elendilmir. I think I'll name this one Eru. :D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 02:10:57 PM by The Walrus »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #777 on: July 31, 2020, 07:57:15 PM »
Also, this computer has an optical audio port. The only other time I've used those is for my soundbar on my main TV. I'm not sure what the purpose of the optical connection is; does it offer better transfer of audio data or something?
In a way. Using the audio jacks, you are relying on the audio components on the motherboard (the DAC) to convert the digital information into an analogue signal. There are two possible issues with this: Firstly, the quality of those components might not be great because excellent audio quality isn't usually a priority for motherboard manufacturers. Secondly, because it's all built into the motherboard, there will often be interference from other components in your PC creating noise in the signal. If you were to use the optical out, the signal to the speaker system is digital and not affected by either of those problems, the sound system's DAC would be handling the conversion will be of higher quality and separated from the computer and any sources of interference in it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #778 on: July 31, 2020, 08:05:51 PM »
That's really cool. Thanks Bolsters! :hefdaddy

Also I figured out the audio issue by getting the EQ to work and just spent a couple hours fiddling with it getting it just right :hat

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: August 10, 2020, 07:06:41 AM »
This is true every time I build a new pc

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #780 on: August 10, 2020, 07:14:54 AM »
 :rollin

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #781 on: August 10, 2020, 11:47:42 AM »
Glorious

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #782 on: August 12, 2020, 11:54:30 AM »
Any of you guys have experience with the Microsoft Surface? I'm looking to turn my basement into my hobby room, but I want to leave my primary PC upstairs. I'd like a computer down there as well, but don't want to spend and arm or a leg, nor do I need anything powerful. Microsoft's website has the Surface Go 2 for $400. I know gen one had its problems, but it seems like they garnered a good reputation after that. I'm debating grabbing one.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #783 on: August 12, 2020, 12:19:38 PM »
Any of you guys have experience with the Microsoft Surface? I'm looking to turn my basement into my hobby room, but I want to leave my primary PC upstairs. I'd like a computer down there as well, but don't want to spend and arm or a leg, nor do I need anything powerful. Microsoft's website has the Surface Go 2 for $400. I know gen one had its problems, but it seems like they garnered a good reputation after that. I'm debating grabbing one.
Does that include the keyboard? The stylus? Insofar as convertible tablets go, that was the leader of the pack when I was shopping a year ago. Having to spend even more money on components that should be included kind of pissed me off, though. Also, IIRC, it's got an oddball OS. It can be concerted to W10, but it takes some doing. I decided to just buy a used Thinkpad convertible off of CL, and it's served me remarkably well. I got one of these for one bill even. I use it almost entirely for traveling, and it's been perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-36984SU-11-6-Inch-Convertible-Touchscreen/dp/B00BBLEYXQ
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #784 on: August 12, 2020, 12:28:27 PM »
Just checked the website. That's without anything! Didn't catch that on my first look over. It wasn't evident until I actually went to configure one for check out. I'll pass. I'm not dropping $600 after taxes for something is a 10.5" screen.

Just checked Costco. Sucks that it looks like this one sold out while on sale. That's a good buy for $350. I really just need something that can access forums and youtube while on my work bench, and also run a 3d printer slicing software.

https://www.costco.com/samsung-12.2%22-touchscreen-2-in-1-chromebook---intel-celeron---1920-x-1200p---digital-pen-%2526-bonus-pouch.product.100502331.html

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #785 on: August 12, 2020, 01:35:06 PM »
Just checked the website. That's without anything! Didn't catch that on my first look over. It wasn't evident until I actually went to configure one for check out. I'll pass. I'm not dropping $600 after taxes for something is a 10.5" screen.

Just checked Costco. Sucks that it looks like this one sold out while on sale. That's a good buy for $350. I really just need something that can access forums and youtube while on my work bench, and also run a 3d printer slicing software.

https://www.costco.com/samsung-12.2%22-touchscreen-2-in-1-chromebook---intel-celeron---1920-x-1200p---digital-pen-%2526-bonus-pouch.product.100502331.html
I wouldn't bet on running your 3d print software on the Chrome OS. Maybe it works, but I've never been willing to even consider using a Chrome as an OS. Hell, I won't even use the browser. For your purposes you shouldn't rule out buying used. Plenty of dipshits buy new stuff simply because it's new, thus selling their "old" stuff. Also, don't rule out other times when having a portable computer might come in handy. I've taken mine outside to talk to my car a few times. I certainly wouldn't travel without one.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #786 on: August 12, 2020, 03:58:44 PM »
We have a few surfaces at work that we've used and I really liked them but when I looked into them I found to be pretty expensive.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #787 on: August 16, 2020, 08:44:31 PM »
I need to make a slideshow, any recommendations on a product/platform? I want it to be cheap, since I imagine just using it for this one project.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online faizoff

« Reply #788 on: August 16, 2020, 09:14:04 PM »
What kind of slideshow? for work? home video?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #789 on: August 16, 2020, 09:33:23 PM »
Slideshow of our wedding, simple, just for my wife and family.

I have a .mov file of the one our photographer made, which is not playing properly. Alternatively if someone could fix whatever is wrong with that file, that will be an acceptable (and easier for me) solution  :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 09:40:26 PM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online faizoff

« Reply #790 on: August 17, 2020, 04:44:44 AM »
When you say it's not playing properly, is it stuttering? Could be a few factors... a .mov file was probably encoded on a mac and if you are playing on a windows computer you might have to try a few players to view it correctly. If that is the case you could download itunes or quicktime to play it.

For slideshow creations, I found windows movie maker a relatively intuitive and easy slideshow creator with a decent amount of options. it handles quite a few formats and is a quick way to make something.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #791 on: August 17, 2020, 06:00:22 AM »
Slideshow of our wedding, simple, just for my wife and family.

I have a .mov file of the one our photographer made, which is not playing properly. Alternatively if someone could fix whatever is wrong with that file, that will be an acceptable (and easier for me) solution  :)

If it's not playing try downloading VLC: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html it's free and one of the best desktop video players out there.

Online faizoff

« Reply #792 on: August 17, 2020, 11:42:55 AM »
I too use VLC though lately I've been using MPC with a codec pack https://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm which offers a ton of configurable audio options. Plays any file I throw at it without any issue.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: August 17, 2020, 08:43:07 PM »
When you say it's not playing properly, is it stuttering? Could be a few factors... a .mov file was probably encoded on a mac and if you are playing on a windows computer you might have to try a few players to view it correctly. If that is the case you could download itunes or quicktime to play it.

It goes through each picture at breakneck speed and plays no music. We had no problems watching it before. It was just recently we wanted to show it to our kids when we encountered this problem. I have tried to convert the file from a .mov to something else via online tools, but always encounter an error message.

Online faizoff

« Reply #794 on: August 17, 2020, 09:03:45 PM »
One program I've used to convert files from one format to another is Format Factory with great success. I'd also try to play with a different player like VLC or MPC.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: August 18, 2020, 02:54:04 PM »
Do any of you guys use certain apps to monitor PC temps? I used one for my other rig years ago, but like I just said, that was years ago. I'm paranoid with new builds. I know gaming PCs generate plenty of heat. I still feel weird when I feel the hot air being shot out of the back of my machine, and I don't like gaming at super high settings for long because I don't know how long the heat is safe for my components. I know that's totally irrational, but that's just how I am naturally. Yet I have no problem gaming for hours on end on a console in a room where I would blow weed smoke all day. I should probably just stop caring, yeah? With all the shit in my tower I don't even know how hard I'd have to push a game for it to sweat, honestly.

EDIT: Stupid me, I just realized there's an app on the desktop that has temperature monitoring, right with the LED management  :facepalm:

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #796 on: August 18, 2020, 02:58:29 PM »
Most software provided by hardware manufacturers will give you readings but if you want something that is simple and that will give you a comprehensive view check out HW Monitor: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: August 18, 2020, 03:00:59 PM »
Don't you also have a liquid cooling set up?  I really dont think there's anything you can do besides overclocking or leaving it outside in the heat that will overheat it and damage anything IMO.  I'd say you have nothing to worry about, but monitoring the temps is a fine practice if you are worried or just curious.  I used to be curious like that in my first build, but since I don't overclock, I'm not really worried.  I rarely even feel my PC spewing heat anyway, maybe because the rig has so many fans.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: August 18, 2020, 03:14:05 PM »
Looks like the cpu is a liquid cooled in a closed loop system. I agree with cram, you got nothing to worry about if you're not over clocking and even if you started to over hear your mother board will shut down when it reaches critical temps.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: August 18, 2020, 05:58:19 PM »
See, somehow I knew all that but I guess I needed to hear it from other people. Yeah, liquid cooled, closed loop. Cool. Just more evidence I've been paranoid about everything my whole life.  :lol :lol

Time for The Witcher  :corn

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #800 on: August 18, 2020, 07:23:45 PM »
It's pretty hard to kill computer parts these days by overheating, since everything thermal throttles efficiently and then shuts itself off if it gets too high. The most likely thing that would kill them is a bad or cheap power supply. Never use crappy power supplies.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #801 on: August 19, 2020, 02:34:16 AM »
It's pretty hard to kill computer parts these days by overheating, since everything thermal throttles efficiently and then shuts itself off if it gets too high.

This. It's almost impossible to "kill" a CPU just by overheating it nowadays. You'll just lose performance nowadays.

If you want to stress test your PC for a worst case scenario, you can run Prime95 for an hour or so. That will reveal any defficiencies in your cooling setup.

https://www.mersenne.org/download/
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #802 on: August 19, 2020, 09:30:16 AM »
It's pretty hard to kill computer parts these days by overheating, since everything thermal throttles efficiently and then shuts itself off if it gets too high.

This. It's almost impossible to "kill" a CPU just by overheating it nowadays. You'll just lose performance nowadays.

If you want to stress test your PC for a worst case scenario, you can run Prime95 for an hour or so. That will reveal any defficiencies in your cooling setup.

https://www.mersenne.org/download/

Awesome, thanks XJ!

When I was first getting into gaming PCs, death via overheating was a big fear of mine. In fact I think it actually killed one of my first PCs back in middle school. So it's nice to hear this isn't something to be concerned about these days.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: August 19, 2020, 09:36:02 AM »
Considering how hot my data center can be, computers these days are fairly resilient to heat.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: August 19, 2020, 09:38:41 AM »
Considering how hot my data center can be, computers these days are fairly resilient to heat.

You guys must have some insane air conditioning going on. Would love to know what that electric bill looks like  :lol