Author Topic: The PC thread  (Read 102507 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The PC thread
« Reply #735 on: July 16, 2020, 09:47:28 AM »
Alright. was just seeing if your 2500k was no longer working for you. For video encoding you'll no doubt see a big difference. Like I said, the more threads the greater the boost. Since I usually play older games, and don't mind letting something encode overnight, it's just not a big problem for me yet. I was just knocking around the idea of rebuilding rather than troubleshooting (and may still go that route).

What issues are you having? I too mostly play older games which ran mostly fine on the 6870 but I really wanted to play GTA V and it was a very crappy experience. Getting the new GPU sort of put me on the path to upgrade and scratched that upgrade itch so I can at least hold off on fully upgrading for now.
Just random pauses. One to five seconds. Probably a Windows issue, honestly, but if it were the time to upgrade that problem would be fixed in the process.

From what I've read the AMD driver support now is top notch for their newer lineups of GPUs and CPUs. I'd imagine you can't go wrong with either CPU nowadays unless the product is a complete failure ala the first AMD Bulldriver CPUs.
That may be true, but after decades of putting up withe their bullshit I'm done with them. This goes back to the AMD All-In-Wonder Pro. For a great deal of my computing life I've needed two graphics cards to accomplish what I want to accomplish and getting them to play nice was a nightmare. Hell, getting one of them to play nice was. Once I dropped in a 1060GTX and it did what it took two AMD cards to do right out of the box, that was it for AMD. Moreover, the two have a fundamentally different approach to how drivers should work. AMD wants a massive suite that does tons of stuff, and invariably it's hard to find exactly what you're looking for, assuming they even make it available to you. It seemed they wanted you to stay out of the actual settings for your own benefit. Nvidia seems to use a more minimalist and intuitive approach. Something as simple as changing the position of one of your monitors took digging around in Catalyst. It's right in front of you with the Nvidia control panel.

As for AMD vs Intel, what I've been using for the last 9 years was my first Intel build after years of AMD loyalty, and I can safely say I'm never going back. Not only has it been a monstrous overachiever, the driver support is just so much better. It's probably not fair, but my hatred of Radeon has really soured me on AMD across the board. 

Well 9 years ago Intel was definitely a better product than AMD.  Seems the tide has changed in recent years though.  Many people, myself included, have moved from Intel to AMD.  I had never used AMD before and typically just would go with a top rated and reviewed CPU that met my requirements (I7 2600k -> I7 6500k -> Ryzen 9 3900x from my last three builds).  I don't think you should let your hatred of Radeon hold you back today, you can throw an Nvidia graphics card on an AMD CPU build. 
Like Faizoff said, you can't really go wrong with either. AMD might actually have a slight (very slight) edge in performance. Intel is still comparable, and past experience has cause me to like them far, far more than AMD. And as I said, that's after years of being an AMD fanboy. If I cared about 128 FPS vs 124 FPS, perhaps I'd reconsider. That's just never been a thing for me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #736 on: July 16, 2020, 10:16:13 AM »
I'm not trying to convert you, just offer another perspective as someone who just made the switch myself.  But yea, your requirements are different than mine and that will drive what you purchase.  I found the extra cores to be useful for my usage.

Online faizoff

« Reply #737 on: July 16, 2020, 10:19:08 AM »
AMD wants a massive suite that does tons of stuff, and invariably it's hard to find exactly what you're looking for, assuming they even make it available to you. It seemed they wanted you to stay out of the actual settings for your own benefit. Nvidia seems to use a more minimalist and intuitive approach. Something as simple as changing the position of one of your monitors took digging around in Catalyst. It's right in front of you with the Nvidia control panel.

Catalyst was a big pile of crap and I would always install the bare minimum it would allow. When windows 10 managed and installed all drivers by default I didn't even bother going to the AMD website anymore for driver updates. Their new Adrenaline software though is miles better and I was initially skeptical about it but I have to say it's actually pretty good.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #738 on: July 16, 2020, 11:18:49 AM »
Alright. was just seeing if your 2500k was no longer working for you. For video encoding you'll no doubt see a big difference. Like I said, the more threads the greater the boost. Since I usually play older games, and don't mind letting something encode overnight, it's just not a big problem for me yet. I was just knocking around the idea of rebuilding rather than troubleshooting (and may still go that route).

What issues are you having? I too mostly play older games which ran mostly fine on the 6870 but I really wanted to play GTA V and it was a very crappy experience. Getting the new GPU sort of put me on the path to upgrade and scratched that upgrade itch so I can at least hold off on fully upgrading for now.
Just random pauses. One to five seconds. Probably a Windows issue, honestly, but if it were the time to upgrade that problem would be fixed in the process.

From what I've read the AMD driver support now is top notch for their newer lineups of GPUs and CPUs. I'd imagine you can't go wrong with either CPU nowadays unless the product is a complete failure ala the first AMD Bulldriver CPUs.
That may be true, but after decades of putting up withe their bullshit I'm done with them. This goes back to the AMD All-In-Wonder Pro. For a great deal of my computing life I've needed two graphics cards to accomplish what I want to accomplish and getting them to play nice was a nightmare. Hell, getting one of them to play nice was. Once I dropped in a 1060GTX and it did what it took two AMD cards to do right out of the box, that was it for AMD. Moreover, the two have a fundamentally different approach to how drivers should work. AMD wants a massive suite that does tons of stuff, and invariably it's hard to find exactly what you're looking for, assuming they even make it available to you. It seemed they wanted you to stay out of the actual settings for your own benefit. Nvidia seems to use a more minimalist and intuitive approach. Something as simple as changing the position of one of your monitors took digging around in Catalyst. It's right in front of you with the Nvidia control panel.

As for AMD vs Intel, what I've been using for the last 9 years was my first Intel build after years of AMD loyalty, and I can safely say I'm never going back. Not only has it been a monstrous overachiever, the driver support is just so much better. It's probably not fair, but my hatred of Radeon has really soured me on AMD across the board. 

Well 9 years ago Intel was definitely a better product than AMD.  Seems the tide has changed in recent years though.  Many people, myself included, have moved from Intel to AMD.  I had never used AMD before and typically just would go with a top rated and reviewed CPU that met my requirements (I7 2600k -> I7 6500k -> Ryzen 9 3900x from my last three builds).  I don't think you should let your hatred of Radeon hold you back today, you can throw an Nvidia graphics card on an AMD CPU build. 
Like Faizoff said, you can't really go wrong with either. AMD might actually have a slight (very slight) edge in performance. Intel is still comparable, and past experience has cause me to like them far, far more than AMD. And as I said, that's after years of being an AMD fanboy. If I cared about 128 FPS vs 124 FPS, perhaps I'd reconsider. That's just never been a thing for me.

Oh god the all-in-wonder :lol

I actually made the switch to intel for the first time ever in my life with my latest build and I couldn't be happier. I don't really need the extra cores and it is one hell of a rig.

AMD wants a massive suite that does tons of stuff, and invariably it's hard to find exactly what you're looking for, assuming they even make it available to you. It seemed they wanted you to stay out of the actual settings for your own benefit. Nvidia seems to use a more minimalist and intuitive approach. Something as simple as changing the position of one of your monitors took digging around in Catalyst. It's right in front of you with the Nvidia control panel.

Catalyst was a big pile of crap and I would always install the bare minimum it would allow.

Digging through catalyst menus was a nightmare when I had my amd card.

Online faizoff

« Reply #739 on: July 16, 2020, 11:31:31 AM »
Was there ever a time you could go wrong with Intel? I mean apart from jacked up pricing, I recall all their CPUs being reliable and performant according to specs. AMD seems to be the one that cycles through their CPUs in terms of performance and reliability. Though by far their Ryzen line has crushed it lately in several categories.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: July 16, 2020, 02:10:42 PM »
I don't know, I think that during the days of the Duron processor they were offering some real performance. I'm sure that's under the tint of rose colored glasses as I was a AMD diehard back that.

Truthfully I think it's only recently that Ryzen is giving them some strong competition. The pricing is really hard to contend with which is one of the reasons I always built AMD/ATI rigs simply because they were cheaper to build. I've always experienced minor issues with my amd rigs usually along the lines of driver support or cooling.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #741 on: July 16, 2020, 02:15:55 PM »
The last few times I've built a new computer I've said to myself "this time I'm going AMD", and I bail at the last minute and stick with Intel.  So next time I build a new rig I'm going AMD  :lol
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #742 on: July 17, 2020, 11:06:04 AM »
Windows Task Manager Runs Doom (896 cores)

Okey that's a new way to play doom.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online faizoff

« Reply #743 on: July 17, 2020, 01:17:31 PM »
I saw that a few days ago and it is wild. So crazy!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #744 on: July 24, 2020, 02:09:40 PM »
I need a good name for the newest addition to the family...

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #745 on: July 24, 2020, 02:11:19 PM »
Niiiiiiiice!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online faizoff

« Reply #746 on: July 24, 2020, 02:27:44 PM »
Dang.

What CPU cooler is that? Also specs?

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: July 24, 2020, 03:25:16 PM »
Nice! I have the same cooler and I love it, mainly for how quiet my system is.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: July 24, 2020, 04:13:33 PM »
nice!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #749 on: July 24, 2020, 10:50:05 PM »
Looking good! Is that a Phanteks case? Or maybe InWin?

People are all of a sudden crapping on the GTX GPUs as if they're suddenly horrible but I'm still rocking my GTX 1080 and doing just fine. I probably won't upgrade till the RTX 3000 series. And by then we'll have put RayTracing to some actual good use!  :P

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #750 on: July 25, 2020, 02:24:55 AM »
I'm still rocking my GTX 1080
:highfive:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: July 25, 2020, 05:01:43 AM »
I'm an ancient fossil here with my GTX970
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: July 25, 2020, 05:37:39 AM »
Not sure what the case is off the top of my head, I'm going to pick it up Monday. The cooler I believe is a Corsair 115i. 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, an Aorus extreme mobo, an i9 9900k CPU, a GTX 1080 Ti, and a 1 TB SSD.

Now I need to pick me up that gorgeous new music gear but I might enjoy a game or two on it in the meantime
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: July 25, 2020, 09:23:33 AM »
I'm still rocking my GTX 1080
:highfive:

Same, card is a beast and not holding me back at all.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: July 25, 2020, 09:46:56 AM »
I wish i got on the 1080 train when they first came out. Those cards are monsters especially for the value pre-bitcoin inflation.

Online faizoff

« Reply #755 on: July 26, 2020, 08:28:55 PM »
Not sure what the case is off the top of my head, I'm going to pick it up Monday. The cooler I believe is a Corsair 115i. 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, an Aorus extreme mobo, an i9 9900k CPU, a GTX 1080 Ti, and a 1 TB SSD.

Now I need to pick me up that gorgeous new music gear but I might enjoy a game or two on it in the meantime

Sweet! Killer setup. What SSD is it? M.2 NVMe or SATA?

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #756 on: July 27, 2020, 05:24:54 AM »
Speaking of SSD's I installed a 2tb m.2 nvme in my rig yesterday so I can get rid of some of my 10 year old hdd's Ive been hoarding. I love this thing, it's so goddamn fast.

Online faizoff

« Reply #757 on: July 27, 2020, 09:18:55 AM »
Yeah SSDs are the best component for reinvigorating an older PC. Even though theoretically NVMe SSDs allow for much faster throughput than SATA SSDs I'm finding very little difference in real life applications. Or at least nothing earth shattering when you compare the specs between the two.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: July 27, 2020, 09:22:44 AM »

Sweet! Killer setup. What SSD is it? M.2 NVMe or SATA?

M.2 NVMe. First time even seeing one of those in person, so it's pretty nifty imo. It just looks nice in the rig too.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: July 27, 2020, 12:56:28 PM »
Very close to ordering a 4K monitor for the new rig. Might as well, right? Put that GTX 1080Ti to work :) Also picked up a brand new lighted keyboard and mouse - normally I don't buy flashy peripherals but for this baby I think it's worth it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: July 27, 2020, 01:13:39 PM »
I'd say get one that has freesync or gsync.  I think if anything, I want that for my next monitor. 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: July 27, 2020, 02:40:05 PM »
I'd say get one that has freesync or gsync.  I think if anything, I want that for my next monitor. 

Agreed.

For me personally I'd rather have a 1440p monitor running at 144hz with or without gsync/freesync than 4k at 60fps. Once I went to 144hz there is no going back IMO. Also Nvidia will now support some freesync monitors which are typically cheaper, something to keep in mind.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: July 27, 2020, 03:23:21 PM »
Yeah, my bud just dropped off the PC and showed me some monitors. I ended up going with this one[. Apparently it was the last one in stock (34" style) because it's sold out now haha.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: July 27, 2020, 03:26:51 PM »
Looks really solid.  I've heard from others that they really love the curved screen.  Let me know what you think.  My initial thoughts were that I wouldn't want it, but I've never tried and people I've talked to generally really like it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: July 27, 2020, 03:33:01 PM »
Looks really solid.  I've heard from others that they really love the curved screen.  Let me know what you think.  My initial thoughts were that I wouldn't want it, but I've never tried and people I've talked to generally really like it.

Considering I'm upgrading from an old 4:3, square, basic ass monitor from like 2008, I just might piss myself.  :lol And it comes with a mounting arm which is a HUGE bonus. I'll definitely report my thoughts.

Okay I spent like $2900 today :eek but it was soooo worth it. Now to recuperate financially for a little bit before I go buying music equipment. I think I'll install some PC games from the last few years in the meantime and see how much I can crank up the settings...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 04:13:51 PM by The Walrus »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: July 27, 2020, 04:26:22 PM »
I'd imagine you play everything at max settings with that build.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: July 27, 2020, 04:27:49 PM »
 :lol I might have to use this $50 gift card on a fairly new PC game, just to try it. Hey, maybe double dipping on RDR2 isn't a bad idea after all...

Online faizoff

« Reply #767 on: July 27, 2020, 08:31:29 PM »

Considering I'm upgrading from an old 4:3, square, basic ass monitor from like 2008, I just might piss myself.  :lol And it comes with a mounting arm which is a HUGE bonus. I'll definitely report my thoughts.

Okay I spent like $2900 today :eek but it was soooo worth it. Now to recuperate financially for a little bit before I go buying music equipment. I think I'll install some PC games from the last few years in the meantime and see how much I can crank up the settings...

Dang that monitor looks nice. I initially went from a 17" 4:3 screen 10 years back to a 23" monitor wide screen and that switch was a huge change. The move to a 2x 27" was even better. for me the next upgrade is a 4k 32" monitor ideally an IPS panel, don't care much for 144 Mhz.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #768 on: July 28, 2020, 07:30:59 AM »
I'm moving my home office to the basement to have more room and not require AC in the summer. I'm going to build a mega desk and have an unusually large amount of Costco Cash coming my way at the end of the year (I've put a lot of contracting work on the Costco card for the points), and think I'm going to splurge on a nice monitor. I've been toying with the idea of a 34"+ ultra wide for a while now.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 07:36:39 AM by Chino »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #769 on: July 28, 2020, 07:37:33 AM »
I'm looking at stuff to buy when the prices calm down again but have a much more modest budget. I'm currently looking at either the 23.5 or 27 inch of a particular AOC model at the moment trying to decide if the additional 3.5 inches is worth it. I'm leaning towards probably not but part of me wants to buy the bigger one anyway just because. :lol