Author Topic: The PC thread  (Read 101271 times)

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The PC thread
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2015, 11:53:48 PM »
*Late to the mouse conversation :( but here:

After both of my RAT 7's dying on me, I purchased the Corsair Vengeance M95 mouse and it's freakin beautiful. Wood recommend/10. I am a palm grip and I have medium sized hands i would say and it fits comfortably in there. All buttons are easily reachable. The mouse also has some weight to it which I love. I can't use a cheap weightless plastic ass mouse.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2015, 01:22:37 AM »
old quote incoming

Win 10 is the only OS that will support DirectX12 so they sure now how to lure in the gamers.

Except for the fact that Valve's Vulkan API (basically a huge overhaul of OpenGL) is so much better than DX12 it will most likely keep DX12 from getting adopted widely
Vulcan hadn't been announced when I made that quote besides DX12 have not been properly used in games yet, it will take devs time to fully utilize the API in their games so I don't think we should rule out DX12 just yet. The Mantle API that caused so much hype, were is that now?
As far as I know Valve dosen't own Vulcan or have developed the API, however they will use it in SteamOS. I atleast am not fully convinced yet to let SteamOS be my primary OS but we'll see.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Calvin6s

« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2015, 02:05:20 PM »
Anybody use VLC 64bit (windows) instead of the main page 32bit version?  My VLC is acting strange, a new update is ready and I'm thinking of using trying the 64bit version (which I just found out they had).  Just wondering if anybody tried it and ran back to the 32bit version before I turn a fix into just a bigger problem.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2015, 02:23:40 PM »
Looking into this more, XBMC means X-Box Media Center and is now apparently Kodi.  I installed it on my laptop and was able to find a Pandora add-on and a netflix add-on is apparently one of those community-ware projects that requires a bit of tinkering to make work properly.  There don't seem to be add-ons for HBO Go or spotify, which round out the list of services I currently use.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2015, 07:34:21 PM »
Anybody use VLC 64bit (windows) instead of the main page 32bit version?  My VLC is acting strange, a new update is ready and I'm thinking of using trying the 64bit version (which I just found out they had).  Just wondering if anybody tried it and ran back to the 32bit version before I turn a fix into just a bigger problem.

I stopped upgrading VLC player since they started using a different audio codec or something for version 2.1 onwards I think. I haven't used the current x64 bit version but back when I last tried, it worked fine but was just an executable placed in its own folder.

I'm on version 2.08 and for me that's the best sound for anything played using a surround mix esp for music surround.

And my solar powered logitech K750 arrived and it is bitching. super thin and it's like typing on a laptop. Was debating on getting a mechanical keyboard but wasn't ready to spend $100 or more just yet. For $20 it's a steal.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2015, 10:54:30 AM »
I'm on VLC 2.2 and I haven't encountered any of those problems, Calvin6s.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2015, 11:49:28 AM »
old quote incoming

Win 10 is the only OS that will support DirectX12 so they sure now how to lure in the gamers.

Except for the fact that Valve's Vulkan API (basically a huge overhaul of OpenGL) is so much better than DX12 it will most likely keep DX12 from getting adopted widely
Vulkan hadn't been announced when I made that quote besides DX12 have not been properly used in games yet, it will take devs time to fully utilize the API in their games so I don't think we should rule out DX12 just yet. The Mantle API that caused so much hype, where is that now?
As far as I know Valve dosen't own Vulkan or have developed the API, however they will use it in SteamOS. I at least am not fully convinced yet to let SteamOS be my primary OS but we'll see.

Do you know how many people worked on Vulkan? Every game/game creator company in that image will most likely implement Vulkan the instant the API is made available to the public. It may not be implemented into some games that are very close to completion (Blizzard's Overwatch, for instance), but it's going to be widely used very quickly.

The biggest reason I think it will be implemented much faster than DX12, however, is because any computer running OpenGL 4.1 or higher (circa 2009 excluding intel graphics cards of that era) can use Vulkan, and computers that old WILL be able to run engines like Source 2 (albeit very slowly).

It's also cross-platform. It won't just be on SteamOS, it will be on EVERYTHING.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »
old quote incoming

Vulkan hadn't been announced when I made that quote besides DX12 have not been properly used in games yet, it will take devs time to fully utilize the API in their games so I don't think we should rule out DX12 just yet. The Mantle API that caused so much hype, where is that now?
As far as I know Valve dosen't own Vulkan or have developed the API, however they will use it in SteamOS. I at least am not fully convinced yet to let SteamOS be my primary OS but we'll see.

Do you know how many people worked on Vulkan? Every game/game creator company in that image will most likely implement Vulkan the instant the API is made available to the public. It may not be implemented into some games that are very close to completion (Blizzard's Overwatch, for instance), but it's going to be widely used very quickly.

The biggest reason I think it will be implemented much faster than DX12, however, is because any computer running OpenGL 4.1 or higher (circa 2009 excluding intel graphics cards of that era) can use Vulkan, and computers that old WILL be able to run engines like Source 2 (albeit very slowly).

It's also cross-platform. It won't just be on SteamOS, it will be on EVERYTHING.
I'm not sure why that question has anything to do with what I said? I didn't say anything negative about Vulcan, why would I, a good all around API will benefit everyone. Now I may not share the same level of enthusiasm because the Mantel API promised so much when announced and that basically disappeared so i'm a bit hesistance to crowning a API king when non of the APIs have been properly tested yet. Hopefully it's as good as you say, the future will tell.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2015, 10:00:34 AM »
DCS World + Joystick + TrackIR= Awesome!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2015, 10:50:21 AM »
I have two questions for you PC gurus.

Question 1  At work, I have two PCs, both running Windows 7, both configured (as far as I know) pretty much the same, but there are a few things that they do differently, and I can't figure out why or what settings to change or whatever.

On one PC, if I double-click on a Word document (from Windows Explorer), Word will open and the file I double-clicked on will be loaded up, and basically I'm ready to start reading/editing the file.  This is preferred, and what I would expect.  On my other PC, if I double-click on a Word document, Word starts up, but immediately minimizes itself to the task bar, then sits down there flashing.  When I click on it (on the task bar), it opens up, with the document loaded, ready to start reading/editing.  Why does it go through this useless thing where it opens, minimizes itself, then "notifies" me that it's ready?  How do I make it just open Word and place it on top?

Question 2  I'm a keyboard-shortcuts guy, not a mouse guy, especially when it comes to menu options.  In Windows XP, if you clicked on a menu (File, Edit, etc.) most of the choices would have one letter underlined.  If you typed this letter, it would be the same as if you used the mouse to select it.  In fact, the menus themselves were accessible via Alt-<some key> combos.  Alt-F is always the File menu, so Alt-F-U (love that one) always takes you to File/Page Setup.  Oftentimes, there's even a Ctrl-<some key> combo, for even faster service.  So much faster than grabbing the mouse and dealing with the menu, when a couple of keystrokes would do the same thing, especially since my hands are already on the keyboard.

But in Windows 7, all the underlines are gone!  They're what told me which keyboard shortcuts to use.  Is there an option to make them appear?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

:yarr

Offline faizoff

« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2015, 11:00:53 AM »
Not sure about the first question but for the 2nd question, it's not a windows 7 thing. I see those highlighted letters in all of my programs that I use in windows 7. Not sure what the issue is where you're seeing it. Is it confined to any particular program? or anything with a file menu in 7?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2015, 11:03:10 AM »
Not sure about Q1, but I can help with Q2:

1 - From the Windows Start menu, type "Ease of Access Center" and select it.
2 - Near the bottom, select "Make the keyboard easier to use"
3 - Check the box that says "Underline keyboard shortcuts and access keys"
4 - Click OK

Offline faizoff

« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2015, 11:05:30 AM »

4 - Click OK

Odd as on my PC that box is unchecked yet all my shortcuts are underlined.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2015, 11:32:53 AM »

4 - Click OK

Awesome!  Thank you.  I just went through the entire "Ease of Access Center" to make sure I had all the good ones checked.

Calvin6s

« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2015, 02:42:07 PM »
My thoughts on the minimized Word thing are:

Either
1.  Click Start button, type word, right click on the Microsoft Word shortcut to get the properties.  Check the Run option to see if it says Normal Window, Maximized or Minimized.
2.  Your graphics card has an option to create personalized setting for how the program will open, such as: Left Monitor, Right Monitor, minimized, etc.  One of my older Nvidia cards had that option.
3.  Your keyboard has its own customized program that causes this.

Also, do you know for sure if it is minimizing or maybe just opening up "behind" other windows.  I had this problem with my Logitech keyboard program.  I'd hit the calculator button, and it would open up behind the windows.  And that defeated the idea of having a calculator one button away for quick and easy calculations.  If I recall, it was conflicting with another input device program that wasn't Logitech.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2015, 03:36:54 PM »
Hmmm... those are all good suggestions.  #2 and #3 seem unlikely, as I use the same keyboard/mouse/monitor and just switch PCs via an IOGear box.  #1 sounds potentially more promising, although I know I would never change the default settings, and in fact, if I do change them, it's to always run in a Maximized window.  Some people like having a zillion windows open and overlapping; I figure I'm only actively working on one thing at a time, so wherever my focus is, that windows is up front and maximized.  Anything else is behind it.

Thanks, though, I will check the settings.

Calvin6s

« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2015, 03:47:18 PM »
Sometimes settings just get changed.  Hacking, viruses or more likely, a stupid accident.

I've had instances every now and then where I'm about to click on a button, the system has the slightest hiccup (usually a HDD spin up delay), and the hiccup is over from the time you move your mouse to click on that button, but right as you are clicking, another "yes/no" type window pops up and gets the click first.  It all happened so fast, you aren't even sure what you clicked.

It doesn't happen often, but all it takes is once for something like that.

As far as the underline in the "right-click" or context menu, I have a similar but different problem and the web hasn't presented the right answer.

I installed Adobe Acrobat (not the reader) for PDF work.  I've had it in the past, so I know something is wrong. From windows explorer, you can select multiple files to "combine into one PDF" from the context menu, or "convert to PDF", but both of those are greyed out (invisible) on the context menu.  They are there.  And I can blindly click them and hope something else isn't in the invisible context menu line, but it would be nice if they were in black text so I could read them.  Google isn't helping at this point.  I'm probably just typing the wrong combination of search terms.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2015, 01:56:23 AM »
You can often imagine how certain things are complicated but sometimes it's a much more complicated process than you could ever imagine, like how CPUs are made. Fascinating stuff!

How a CPU is made

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2015, 05:59:08 PM »
I have windows 8.1, and after booting it automatically logs in to the previous user's account.  Apparently it is not easy to make it show a user list at startup.  This registry key,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\UserSwitch

can be switched from 0 to 1, but it resets to 0 after ever reboot.  Whats the point?

Anyone else change this setting?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2015, 03:43:05 AM »
I have windows 8.1, and after booting it automatically logs in to the previous user's account.  Apparently it is not easy to make it show a user list at startup.  This registry key,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\UserSwitch

can be switched from 0 to 1, but it resets to 0 after ever reboot.  Whats the point?

Anyone else change this setting?
Speaking of, I recently for the past couple of weeks had a problem with memory leak and the solution was changing a registry key.

Here's a ruff explination on my problem:

All of a sudden my PC would run slow and when looking at my Task Manager this was showing:

I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was causing the memory leak because as you can see nothing heavy was running or rather the task manager didn't list anything. To speed things up I ended reinstalling my OS which solved it, I thought. Yesterday the memory leak happened again. I did though find a thread mentioning a program called Rammap which I installed. I then finally saw what was eating my memory, it was something called "Non-Paged Pool". I googled that and after some searching I found out that my Killer Network Driver combined with Win 8.1 was causing the leak and I also found my solution.

https://bluebluewave.wordpress.com/2014/02/27/memory-leak-in-windows-8-1-with-killer-e2200-and-windows-network-data-usage-monitoring/

The actual cause of the memory leak seems to be the Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring Driver service which in combination with a Killer network driver starts to fill up the Non-Paged Pool memory.

Solution:
So the solution was to change the registry key value of the "Start" entry to 4 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Ndu\. What that did was to disable the Windows Network Data Usage Monitor from starting...... I mean ohh of course!!  :lol

I would have never in a million years figured that problem out by myself.

Edit: I just found out that this specific problem was fixed with the latest networkdriver update. It's not exactly the first thing you think about, that you networkdriver might be what's causing a memory leak.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 04:51:29 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2015, 10:52:55 PM »
Anyone use win 10 insider preview yet?

I've been using the preview versions since windows 7 and every release has been better than the previous one. I’ve run them all on a VM and they've been running great 90% of the time. Windows 10 is definitely the version that should’ve been released instead of win 8.
The new Edge browser is excellent and I’m glad it’s built from scratch, once 3rd party extensions are enabled I’m ditching chrome.
I’m very happy with the preview version and I think I’ll go ahead and replace my main desktop win 7 with win 10 seeing as it’s a free upgrade.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 11:10:48 PM by faizoff »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2015, 04:51:47 AM »
Every other windows... The pattern continues I guess. I haven't tried and don't feel any need to rush to upgrade from 7 on my PC, but I'll upgrade my laptop since that has 8 on it when 10 gets released.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2015, 04:54:11 AM »
Every other windows... The pattern continues I guess. I haven't tried and don't feel any need to rush to upgrade from 7 on my PC, but I'll upgrade my laptop since that has 8 on it when 10 gets released.

Probably likewise. I have no need to upgrade from 7 on my PC at the moment, but my new laptop is using Windows 8.1 and I figure Windows 10 wouldn't be any worse.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2015, 06:00:51 AM »
10 is a free upload but i wonder if it's as good as Windows 7.  That's a very good running system.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline faizoff

« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2015, 10:50:11 AM »
10 so far is just as good as 7. I know people like to always say the alternate versions are always the best, but there was nothing technically wrong with 8. The first edition of win 98, ME and vista all had actual issues causing the blue screen of death and various incompatibilities, 8's issue was the metro interface which could be disabled if you wanted. There were no widespread tech issues. Anyways past that 10 is a solid upgrade I think and I see several things I'm already very used to. There are still some elements of the design I'm not too crazy about, the color scheme seems a bit drab but other than some visual cues, functionally it appears great.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2015, 01:39:25 PM »
8's issues were more people not accepting it than actually software issues.

To be honest... I love the metro system. I boot straight to the desktop, but I do like the convenience of smacking the Windows Key and switching over to Metro for certain things.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2015, 10:14:17 PM »
I love the convenience of being forced over to an entirely different and unrelated UI system to perform basic tasks because someone at Microsoft forgot that Windows is for computers.
I completely blanked that other screen so it's nothing but black now. If I need to open a program, I just do it from the desktop or through Explorer. Such awful design for an OS.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2015, 02:32:57 AM »
Yea I boot straight to desktop, haven't touched the metro at all, probably never will.

Had an annoying conflict with Skype though, everytime someone called it forced me over to metro. So I installed the desktop version but of course then both desktop and metro called at the same time so I had to remove the metro version. Small problem but a bit annoying never the less.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2015, 02:40:52 AM »
I made sure to install the desktop version of Skype when I got my laptop for that reason, and I removed every metro app it would let me.
If it weren't for that whole aspect of the OS, I'd otherwise have no major issues with 8 compared to 7. I like the extra features of the file copying box (although I've frequently noticed a bug with it hanging at 100% when it has in fact copied the file entirely), and the inbuilt ability to mount disc images saves me some trouble. I think there were also some little features in the file explorer that were neat too.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2015, 06:28:11 AM »
Install Classic Shell, configure, done
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline faizoff

« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2015, 12:17:25 PM »
Yea I'm not saying the metro UI for a desktop is ideal by any means, most of it is a piss poor attempt to integrate mobile platform with the PC as one universal environment that doesn't always translate. Everything else apart from the modern UI is what I'm referring to that exists without any technical glitches.

Calvin6s

« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2015, 10:11:52 PM »
Hopefully I'm not repeating myself here, but wondering what people are using for server (or server-like) solutions.

Do you use Windows Server, Windows SBS (or whatever it is called now), Windows Home Server or another OS Server?

Or do you just use something like a NAS or simple file server?

What features do you use?  File share/stream.  Email.  Internal website.  Printer sharing.  Remote access to (files, email, etc).  Other (really interested in the other, because other than Microsoft Exchange, seems like going NAS would be easier at this point)

Do you use it for a home office or just file sharing/streaming?

Part of the reason I ask is because I set up Windows SBS2003 in 2006.  It has been doing just fine for my business needs, but it is old and compromised.  I just moved and finally have access to real broadband and running the net through the SBS2003 server slows it down.  Actually, something must be compromised because it is lagging badly.  Unfortunately, I just don't have the time to really learn all the ins and outs of what a server can really do (the less used features) and troubleshooting something feels like I am wasting time servicing the server instead of the server ... serving.

But I'm not looking for troubleshooting help or recommendations personally, but just want to see what other people have set up for themselves (or their business).  Sounds like a few users work in the IT field, so that obviously would be interesting to see what they set up for their personal needs.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2015, 06:04:06 AM »
I dont use a server, but I set up my PC for file sharing within my home network for the purpose of being able to stream media from my PC to either of my two smart TVs or my smart blu ray player in my bedroom.  That's just using what is built into Windows and no other software.  I have 2x 2TB hard drives stocked with personal videos and movies/tv shows that I like to view in other spots besides my desk, but I have no need to use this outside of my house.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2015, 01:18:53 PM »
I haven't set up a server for small office use like Email but have setup FreeNAS for home as a file share and media box and it's fairly easy and I'm assuming secure as well. My desktop I use as a Plex server with some 14 TB of stuff on there, all media related.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2015, 01:06:27 AM »
I forgot Plex.

I know nothing about setting up servers, but I do use Plex for media streaming.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"