Author Topic: The PC thread  (Read 102529 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The PC thread
« Reply #1470 on: March 18, 2024, 01:53:41 PM »
That's the beauty of Rufus. It technically has nothing to do with pirating, well, it probably does but that's not my point. I like having a local account on my machines. I like being able to make bootable install media where I can strip out that aspect of the install procedure. Just hardcode my local account into the process. Nice and simple.

And yeah, I do have Windows 11 installed on machines that 'don't meet spec'. Thing is, those are machines that got the automatic 10 license. I use Rufus to strip out the mandatory crap and guess what, the OS runs just fine on those machines. It's a handy tool.
Yeah, I've used Rufus before. Not in a while, but back in the XP days, when you'd have to reinstall on a fairly regular basis, it was nice to be able to use a stripped down version without the added bloat.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1471 on: March 22, 2024, 12:47:02 PM »
Hey all. I'd like to pick your brains for a minute. Have any of you ever come across a remote laptop of sorts?

I've been going back and forth on whether I want to pick up a Playstation Portal. It's basically a Playstation controller with a screen in the middle. It's got no storage or horsepower of its own. The PS5 in the home does all the processing and it just dumps the image to the Portal over wifi.

This has made me realize that I'd love this feature in a laptop form factor. My office PC does everything I need it to except leave the office. I don't want to shell out a pretty penny on a standalone laptop, but I'd wouldn't mind spending a few hundred on what's basically just a laptop shell that's displaying whatever my home PC is doing.   

Do any companies make such a device?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1472 on: March 22, 2024, 02:25:02 PM »
Why not just buy a tablet with a reasonable keyboard cover and install something like anydesk?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1473 on: March 23, 2024, 08:24:36 AM »
Why not just buy a tablet with a reasonable keyboard cover and install something like anydesk?

This. Or if you're going to just game on it I highly recommend the Steam Deck. I got one and it has the horsepower to play games fairly decently, or you can always stream from your PC to the Deck just like PS Portal. I have my deck hooked up to my living room tv and stream from my main PC, it works amazingly well.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1474 on: March 25, 2024, 09:02:32 AM »

I didn't think of that option. I really like the form factor of a laptop and having it on your lap. Can you get that with any of the tablet setups out there?

This. Or if you're going to just game on it I highly recommend the Steam Deck. I got one and it has the horsepower to play games fairly decently, or you can always stream from your PC to the Deck just like PS Portal. I have my deck hooked up to my living room tv and stream from my main PC, it works amazingly well.

This has nothing to do with gaming. I'll do that at my desk. I want this so I can do spreadsheet and CAD stuff on the couch while the wife and I watch stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1475 on: March 25, 2024, 09:16:31 AM »
Sounds like you just want to use Windows Remote Desktop then?  It's free part of windows, you may have to install it.  https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/remote-desktop-allow-access (I can't seem to post a link? the forum seems funky today)

I know they make phone apps to do this as well, I used to use a remote desktop for my phone to my PC, but it's been many many years and I don't have that set up anymore, but it should be really simple.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1476 on: March 25, 2024, 09:26:28 AM »
Sounds like you just want to use Windows Remote Desktop then?  It's free part of windows, you may have to install it.  https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/remote-desktop-allow-access (I can't seem to post a link? the forum seems funky today)

I know they make phone apps to do this as well, I used to use a remote desktop for my phone to my PC, but it's been many many years and I don't have that set up anymore, but it should be really simple.

Right. This is exactly what I want to do. I don't want to pay for, or need, a full functioning laptop, but I want that form factor. I was just wondering if anyone made what's basically a laptop shell (a screen and keyboard) that doesn't nothing but remote play my home PC. Pretty much the exact same concept as the Playstation Portal, but for a PC.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1477 on: March 25, 2024, 09:44:47 AM »
Right. This is exactly what I want to do. I don't want to pay for, or need, a full functioning laptop, but I want that form factor. I was just wondering if anyone made what's basically a laptop shell (a screen and keyboard) that doesn't nothing but remote play my home PC. Pretty much the exact same concept as the Playstation Portal, but for a PC.

I'd imagine you could get a cheap tablet or like a chrome book to run remote desktop.  Since a phone can do it, got to think an android laptop could too.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1478 on: March 25, 2024, 10:04:24 AM »
And if you just don't want to spend money on more computer than you actually need, don't discount buying somebody's used laptop with 9 month old tech because they had to upgrade to 1 month old tech. A functional laptop is a great thing to have for any number of reasons. Power failure. Long flights. Car repair. Camping. I bought a 10 year old Thinkpad Helix for one bill because the form factor is great and it's fairly ruggedized. It won't game, but it'll do everything else I need.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1479 on: March 25, 2024, 11:06:10 AM »
I'd imagine you could get a cheap tablet or like a chrome book to run remote desktop.  Since a phone can do it, got to think an android laptop could too.

Chrome book would be my suggestion too. I use chrome remote desktop and it works brilliantly from my phone.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1480 on: March 25, 2024, 01:50:02 PM »
Cool cool cool. Thanks for the input, guys.