Author Topic: The PC thread  (Read 101272 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: The PC thread
« Reply #1295 on: September 16, 2022, 08:15:24 PM »
I bought my first EVGA recently (3070 XC3) and have been happy with it so far outside one very minor issue. In Australia they are pretty cheap despite being a good manufacturer because they don't really have much presence/awareness here.

This really sucks because as you say, the options are now a lot more limited. Asus/MSI can probably put their prices up even more now that EVGA is out of the picture, and I would never buy Gigabyte or any of the lesser brands' GPUs.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1296 on: September 16, 2022, 08:55:17 PM »
Asus appears to be the best next alternative from what I've seen even though they're overpriced. The top tier models of MSI are a good option too.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1297 on: September 16, 2022, 09:48:00 PM »
What else does EVGA actually do? They've been the gold standard for graphics cards for 15 years. I've owned plenty of them. Can't think of any other EVGA products I've owned.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1298 on: September 16, 2022, 10:02:28 PM »
Motherboards and PSU which I believe is their biggest profit margin.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1299 on: September 16, 2022, 10:09:53 PM »
Motherboards and PSU which I believe is their biggest profit margin.
PSUs. Forgot all about that, and I probably have bought a few of them. They've never even been on the radar insofar as MoBos are concerned. It's actually interesting if MoBos offer a better profit margin than graphics cards. In both cases the greatest expense is going to be licensing. You'd expect there to be more palms to grease assembling all the compnents for a MoBo than simply paying off NVIDIA for their GPUs.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online faizoff

« Reply #1300 on: September 17, 2022, 08:04:53 AM »
They've been known for their high end boards for a while. They were exclusive to Intel for a while but now have Ryzen boards too.

I've read their accessories like keyboards and mice are really great.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1301 on: September 20, 2022, 10:47:24 AM »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online faizoff

« Reply #1302 on: September 20, 2022, 10:54:19 AM »
Yeah insane prices for sure, surprised they are releasing the $1600 4090 first. I somehow doubt the demand is that high at those prices this time round.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1303 on: September 20, 2022, 11:31:10 AM »
With Ethereum mining dead I can't see these selling to the average PC enthusiast at that price. Could buy 2 pcs for that price!
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1304 on: September 20, 2022, 12:03:33 PM »
While impressive I'm going to skip the 40 series I think. I only bought the 3080 because I was able to sell my 2080 for $120 less than what I paid for the 3080. I don't have a 4k monitor nor play any games that even push my 3080 as is.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1305 on: September 20, 2022, 12:05:11 PM »
While impressive I'm going to skip the 40 series I think. I only bought the 3080 because I was able to sell my 2080 for $120 less than what I paid for the 3080. I don't have a 4k monitor nor play any games that even push my 3080 as is.

Same, I don't game in 4k and my 3070 is just fine.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1306 on: September 20, 2022, 12:27:23 PM »
I have a decent 4k monitor and man the difference between 1080 and 4k gaming is legit.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1307 on: September 20, 2022, 05:50:56 PM »
I have a decent 4k monitor and man the difference between 1080 and 4k gaming is legit.
Not exactly 4k, but I'm running dual 3440x1440 ultrawide monitors. Pushes my 3080 pretty good.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1308 on: October 15, 2022, 03:30:06 PM »
Man the seizes of some of third party 4090s are just ridiculous. The performance boost compared to last gen seems to be amazing though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1309 on: October 16, 2022, 05:24:12 AM »
I'll be honest, nvidia has really soured me with how they have handled the 40 series and its launch, and I'm in no hurry to reward that kind of greedy behaviour.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1310 on: October 26, 2022, 07:05:34 AM »
I'll be honest, nvidia has really soured me with how they have handled the 40 series and its launch, and I'm in no hurry to reward that kind of greedy behaviour.

I hadn't heard anything. In what way did they handle it poorly.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1311 on: October 26, 2022, 08:09:56 AM »

My issue is I've historically liked EVGA graphics cards and EVGA dropped out of doing business with Nvidia and specifically blamed it on Nvidia's business practices.  I think there's more than just that though, but that stood out to me.

Luckily, with my 3070 I really have no need to upgrade to this series.  I'm more likely going to need to build a new PC in a couple years anyway to be able to support the future tech. Considering the space and power needed.  Also, my CPU will soon become the bottleneck (it may already technically be, but I'm not having performance issues for it to matter). 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1312 on: October 31, 2022, 10:54:56 AM »
Yea I think I need to upgrade 90% of my PC to even run a 4090 let alone fit my case. My PC is starting to get a bit old and it's the longest time i've waited to upgrade for various reasons.
If my PC dies tomorrow i'm not sure I could afford a new one, not a decent gaming rig atleast.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1313 on: October 31, 2022, 01:24:57 PM »

You've seen the prices right?

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1314 on: November 01, 2022, 07:01:56 AM »

Yes, and again I ask, in what way did they handle it poorly?
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1315 on: November 04, 2022, 02:01:56 AM »
AMD has caught my attention, we'll see what kind of performance you get later but the price is a bit more humane than Nvidia atleast.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1316 on: November 04, 2022, 03:40:23 AM »

Yes, and again I ask, in what way did they handle it poorly?

The exorbitant price increases strike me as taking the piss.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1317 on: November 04, 2022, 08:28:54 AM »
I said a year ago that the ridiculous prices we were seeing during the big shortage were here to stay, and it seems I was correct. Once the manufacturers saw what the market would support going back to pre-shortage prices wasn't likely. When people were lining up to pay $1200 for $800 cards they took notice. Seems to me that the problem is timing. They created a huge push for the 3000 series not too long ago as this massive improvement. A year later they're pushing cards that massively outperform them. If I paid $1400 for a 3090TI I'd be kind of bent out of shape about it.

Fuck yeah, capitalism!
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1318 on: November 04, 2022, 08:31:24 AM »
But with crypto mining coming to a slow down, I wonder if they miscalculated the demand ontop of what you stated about the 3000 series.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1319 on: February 28, 2023, 08:30:31 PM »
Took the plunge into the high refresh arena with a Dell 34" 144Hz Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor to pair with my LG 32" 4k monitor.

This thing is sweet.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1320 on: March 01, 2023, 08:10:22 AM »
Nice!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1321 on: March 01, 2023, 11:38:37 AM »
Back in December I got into Unreal Engine development, so now I'm seriously considering an upgrade to a Ryzen 7950x (possibly the new x3d version), an RTX 4090, and 128gb of ram. Should "only" cost about $3200. :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1322 on: March 01, 2023, 02:05:11 PM »
Took the plunge into the high refresh arena with a Dell 34" 144Hz Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor to pair with my LG 32" 4k monitor.

This thing is sweet.

:tup

Oh I miss having a second monitor. Mine stopped working last year and I haven't had the time or money to fix a new one. My PC is also kinda old by today's standard so running anything over 1080 might be a death sentence for my GPU.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1323 on: March 01, 2023, 03:18:58 PM »
Back in December I got into Unreal Engine development, so now I'm seriously considering an upgrade to a Ryzen 7950x (possibly the new x3d version), an RTX 4090, and 128gb of ram. Should "only" cost about $3200. :lol

I downloaded the engine with the Matrix sample, all in all I think it was something like 200 GB. I got bored of it pretty quick then again I had no clue what I was doing in setting the environment etc.. With those specs it should crush it.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1324 on: June 16, 2023, 10:05:29 PM »
After 15 years looks like Intel's dropping the 'i' naming convention. The new CPUs will now be known as Core 3, Core 5 and Core 7. The higher end ones will have Ultra to the name so it'll be Core 5 Ultra. Ultra series will be the only ones that have a Core 9 series. If I'm not mistaken the new generation of Intel CPUs (14th gen) are fabbed by TSMC and is again a new design. Interesting to see how they catch up with AMD in terms of efficiency and power draw. AMD's last 3-4 generations in the desktop market as well as the server market has been killing it with lower power draw and higher performance. They definitely made a dent in the server market that used to be Intel's bread and butter.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1325 on: June 26, 2023, 02:43:32 PM »
So I'm looking for a small mini-screen monitor (around 7"-10") to connect to my computer for watching either Twitch streams or hockey games on this monitor while doing full-screen gaming on my main monitor and I'm not sure where to start looking for something like this.  Would not want to splurge like crazy on something like this (under $75.00 including tax and shipping would be the ideal price for something like this).

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1326 on: June 27, 2023, 10:00:17 AM »
Any reason you want the monitor to be so small? Why not just get a cheap second hand monitor off ebay? There's plenty of ex office stock available for cheap.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1327 on: June 27, 2023, 10:09:40 AM »
Yeah at that size you could just get an old ipad or something similar too and be mobile with it instead of a stand alone super small monitor.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1328 on: June 27, 2023, 10:23:19 AM »
Yeah, I don't get the small monitor, either.

What I will suggest is making sure the native resolution of whatever the new monitor is matches the existing one. Having multiple resolutions can do strange stuff with Windows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1329 on: September 20, 2023, 11:25:33 PM »
I am working on convincing myself I need a new computer. I probably do not need one, but mine has been crashing periodically, and I just saw Steam will soon stop running on Win7, which is what I have. I bought this machine in... checking... 2009. Plus I haven't bought anything gadget-y for myself in ages. I have been doing some research and half the time I don't even know what I am reading. I end up having to look up terms I've never encountered before.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'