Author Topic: The PC thread  (Read 102563 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The PC thread
« Reply #1155 on: June 17, 2021, 08:27:48 AM »
Pretty sure they want to make it more phone like. They tried with 8 and people hated it, but eventually they're going to unify the way all of our devices look.

For my part, I skipped right over 7 and 8 and went from XP straight to 10, specifically to give me the longest possible time before I have to change again. With any luck I'll keep right on with 10 until I'm forced to upgrade to 15 or so. And in all honestly, I'm already dreading it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1156 on: June 17, 2021, 08:35:30 AM »
I really love Windows 10, if it aint broke dont fix it.  And well, the history of every other windows being good makes me think immediately that Windows 11 will be shit.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1157 on: June 17, 2021, 08:56:48 AM »
I really love Windows 10, if it aint broke dont fix it.  And well, the history of every other windows being good makes me think immediately that Windows 11 will be shit.
I love 10's functionality, it's swift and stable, but man, it's just obnoxious as all getout. I really hate being treated like a child, and in particular by a computer that I built, that I own, and that I'm responsible for. Every single time UAC asks me if I really want to run a program that I just double-clicked on it makes me want to punch the damn screen. What I've found is that it's a constant journey of breaking it, like you'd break a horse. And like a horse, sometimes it'll revert back to its old ways. Despite having disable the updating service as soon as I installed the the thing a couple of months ago, it wouldn't boot on Tuesday because it somehow managed to update itself anyway with something it didn't agree with. And before that, I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why a bittorrent client wouldn't install only to find out that MS considers bittorrent clients "undesirable" now, and therefore walls them off inside Defender. Like I said, I hate being treated like a child. If I want to delete the entire system32 folder, that's my business and MS should have any say-so in the matter. I can only imagine that 11 and what comes after is going to require a DNA sample just to log on.

One thing I can almost guarantee is that there will be functions that we're no longer allowed to access. Very soon we're going to get to the point where regedit and gpedit will require online credentialling that the end user won't be able to gain. Changes made at that level will require an agent in Bangladesh with the proper certification.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1158 on: June 17, 2021, 09:06:14 AM »
Every single time UAC asks me if I really want to run a program that I just double-clicked on it makes me want to punch the damn screen.

You can lower the security level to never get these questions.  It's the first thing I do when I install the OS (well once I get the first notification).

I do agree generally with you though in that, it's my PC so don't prevent me from doing things I want to do with it.  If I wanted all the restrictions, I would just use the MAC OS.  The freedom is a big reason why Windows is so popular.  Having said that, I kind of agree that having some restrictions isn't the worst thing.  Too many people (including myself before) have tweeked things I probably shouldn't have and it resulted in a corrupt Windows that required a fresh re-install.  Now how many people are calling support because of such situations? 

It would be kind of cool if like they had a basic restricted version and another "pro" version where you can make all the changes you want.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1159 on: June 17, 2021, 09:23:32 AM »
I too disable UAC after the first install and just forget it's still there. The rest of Barto's post is a trend I'm noticing too. I have the pro version of Win10 so I don't get as much hassle as the base version but that could soon change.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1160 on: June 17, 2021, 09:50:25 AM »
Unless things have changed, the highest level of UAC you can use to disable the "are you sure" prompts is off, and turning it off actually is a real security risk. The UAC prompts are a legitimate security device, but they're massively overused and there's no means of whitelisting anything. They should be in place for installations, and things like regedit, but not every single program that resides in the program folders or writes to the user folders. And FFS, give us a means to whitelist frequently used programs. Just running Fallout shouldn't require administrator approval.

I too disable UAC after the first install and just forget it's still there. The rest of Barto's post is a trend I'm noticing too. I have the pro version of Win10 so I don't get as much hassle as the base version but that could soon change.
I have the highest level of Windows I could steal.  :lol  Specifically, it's a corporate edition which is designed to be as static as possible. Very little should ever change without my input, at least in theory if not in practice.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1161 on: June 17, 2021, 11:34:11 AM »
One thing I can almost guarantee is that there will be functions that we're no longer allowed to access. Very soon we're going to get to the point where regedit and gpedit will require online credentialling that the end user won't be able to gain. Changes made at that level will require an agent in Bangladesh with the proper certification.

Either that or you won't be able to get in without a pro version. A freedom upcharge if you will.

Maybe if Windows is made crappy enough a real competitor can emerge, or at least Microsoft will be forced to make it functional again.

Not getting 11. Looks like another Windows 8/Vista situation. Someone else already said it, but it looks like the 'every other version sucks' pattern is repeating.

Either they'll extend long term support for Windows 10 or 12 will be decent.

I don't understand their obsession with making Desktop OS's like phones. As far as I can tell no one actually wants this. People want their computer experiences to be smooth and consistent. Something as fundamental as changing the start menu goes against this.

You could say "but at the end of the day the normies won't know the difference." Would completely disagree. When I did tech support, one of the biggest calls I got was about the systems running slow, even if they actually weren't. Why should Microsoft expect anything different when they release poorly optimized code? And, when it comes to what OSs people buy, either they know about computers and stay away from the crap, or they aren't computer literate and they ask their friends/family who are computer literate. Finally, reading a couple articles, it doesn't look like it's substantially different beyond a few aesthetic changes. So even for the unsophisticated customers who just like shiny toys... what's in it for them?

Baffling product strategy.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1162 on: June 17, 2021, 11:43:40 AM »
Maybe if Windows is made crappy enough a real competitor can emerge, or at least Microsoft will be forced to make it functional again.

They already have apple who is, at least from my experience, breaking into the business side.  At work everyone uses a macbook for example, no one uses Windows here.  But Windows generally has such a huge grasp on the corporate side.  I really just don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.  I mean Linux exists but isn't anywhere close to being adopted as a mass consumer used OS.  For better or worse, I don't see Windows going away even if another competitor emerges.

And I agree about the desktop/phone thing.  I don't want this either.  It failed once before, so why try again?  I mean, at least give it another 10 years  :lol The only reason I can think of this being useful is when PCs aren't used and our phones have completely replaced them which seems to slowly be happening, but really don't see this being a thing in the near future.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1163 on: June 17, 2021, 12:38:31 PM »
When I did tech support. . .
You know, this really explains a lot.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1164 on: June 17, 2021, 01:08:39 PM »
I did two tech support jobs back in the day. One for AOL which was nothing but hell. All it required was reading the script, deviate from the script and get office spaced.

The other job was for windows support for corporate clients and that job was a breeze. Easy competent users that could explain their issue and you could remote in and figure out what was going on.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1165 on: June 17, 2021, 02:04:11 PM »
Can't embed gifs here but I made this one that highlights one of the new snap-in features. I really like this tiny add-in, makes things so much easier and gets four windows done in fewer clicks. You could do this currently in Windows 10 too by dragging each window to its corner but this looks easier. The animations are still a bit janky which they should be fixed by release time.

https://i.imgur.com/2Pz3986.gifv

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1166 on: June 17, 2021, 02:38:39 PM »
When I did tech support. . .
You know, this really explains a lot.  :lol
You develop a certain bitterness I suppose. At least I did internal support
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1167 on: June 20, 2021, 07:30:21 PM »
Found this picture of one of my old PCs back when I lived in the UK. This picture screams 90s though it was early 2004 I believe. I think I remember the specs being a P III 1 Ghz with maybe 512 MB or  1 GB of RAM and a 40 GB hard drive. Don't recall the board, I do recall having a Creative Sound card. That's also my very first cell phone which was some Samsung model and a Sony Discman that could play MP3s.

Online T-ski

« Reply #1168 on: August 26, 2021, 12:43:28 PM »
Wondering if anyone can help me out.

My wife is working from home, using our personal pc. She logs in remotely and basically has her work pc set-up on our pc. Lately she isn’t getting any audio from webinars, videos, etc when she is logged in, but our pc’s speakers work just fine when she isn’t logged on.

I feel this should be an easy fix but I haven’t been able to figure it out.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1169 on: August 26, 2021, 12:47:38 PM »
Not sure I'll have any answers, but would need some more info.  What do you mean by logging in?  As in logging into a VPN? Or is she using remote desktop into her work PC?

Also, since you say "lately" I'm assuming this was working and now not, so something seems to have changed?  Do you know of any changes or updates that have occurred?

Likely not related but occasionally when Windows or my graphics card updates, it messes up my audio settings in windows and I need to reconfigure things to my liking.

Online T-ski

« Reply #1170 on: August 26, 2021, 12:56:13 PM »
Not sure I'll have any answers, but would need some more info.  What do you mean by logging in?  As in logging into a VPN? Or is she using remote desktop into her work PC?

Also, since you say "lately" I'm assuming this was working and now not, so something seems to have changed?  Do you know of any changes or updates that have occurred?

Likely not related but occasionally when Windows or my graphics card updates, it messes up my audio settings in windows and I need to reconfigure things to my liking.

Wife says they are using Citrix, so that’s the best I can answer the first part. She claims she had audio within the last couple of weeks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1171 on: August 26, 2021, 01:05:11 PM »
That's basically using remote desktop to a virtual instance of a PC.  It seems like the audio from that isn't routing properly to the speakers of the PC.  I don't use these systems to have any details on how to fix, but I'd imagine there's probably a setting in audio somewhere to change that.  It may be in the citrix client.  I'm really not sure.  Can she ask her company's help desk for support?

Online T-ski

« Reply #1172 on: August 26, 2021, 01:17:44 PM »
Thanks for the info cram. I was hoping it would be a quick setting adjustment on our end, but she may just need to hit up her tech support (which she is still awaiting a response from for an issue from two days ago  ;D)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1173 on: August 26, 2021, 01:19:10 PM »
Thanks for the info cram. I was hoping it would be a quick setting adjustment on our end, but she may just need to hit up her tech support (which she is still awaiting a response from for an issue from two days ago  ;D)

it may be a quick setting, I just dont have any experience to point you in a direction to find that setting.  Good luck.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1174 on: September 02, 2021, 05:27:29 AM »

My wife is working from home, using our personal pc. She logs in remotely and basically has her work pc set-up on our pc. Lately she isn’t getting any audio from webinars, videos, etc when she is logged in, but our pc’s speakers work just fine when she isn’t logged on.

Curious what the fix for this was, my guess is that the default audio setting for the Citrix instance got changed somehow, like through an update.

Online T-ski

« Reply #1175 on: September 02, 2021, 05:37:36 AM »

Curious what the fix for this was, my guess is that the default audio setting for the Citrix instance got changed somehow, like through an update.

As far as I know the wife hasn’t contacted help desk, so either A. she forgot or B. it’s not that big of deal for her.

Personally it would drive me crazy not having it fixed.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1176 on: September 02, 2021, 05:53:46 AM »
I have a similar kind of work from home setup where I log in my PC but use VMWare VDI instead. I once had the issue of no sound coming from the VDI, but sounds from my PC was fine. Turns out I had my VDI on mute  :blush

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1177 on: September 16, 2021, 06:36:39 PM »
Even though I had a blast enjoying my first Nvidia card and loved the aesthetics of the 3080 Ti FE, I always had my eye on the 3080 since it was first announced. Finally after almost one year after launch, I managed to score a new one a few weeks back. I got the EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra on Newegg before the latest price increase.

It's definitely a bit of a downgrade but honestly, at this point there are very few use cases that would highlight those deficiencies. I don't really play any of the latest and greatest games so my library is good enough for Ultra 4k gaming.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised the FTW3 card runs super quiet and much much cooler than the 3080 Ti. This card is massive compared to the FE and even though I'm sad to see it go, I did manage to sell it for a nice chunk of change.

It's unreal that the FTW3 is a 2.75 slot card

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1178 on: September 17, 2021, 06:26:51 AM »
Man that is a sweet card. I'm only 1 day away from the evga queue hitting my request so hopefully I'll have on in a month or so.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1179 on: September 17, 2021, 07:53:21 AM »
How you check where you are in the queue? I had signed up ages ago but I couldn't find any place to check.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1180 on: September 17, 2021, 08:17:16 AM »
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NrR71ipaJktCzT1pWj9FWxNHGWAbcxMorvRvEPaPh48/edit

Just compare that list with your notifies date on the evga site.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1181 on: September 17, 2021, 08:29:58 AM »
I almost bought an EVGA 3060 Ti the other day for a slightly less worse price than usual, but it was the two fan version and I would prefer three. Availability hasn't been that bad here lately (Australia) but the prices are starting to go up again.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1182 on: September 17, 2021, 09:43:09 AM »
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NrR71ipaJktCzT1pWj9FWxNHGWAbcxMorvRvEPaPh48/edit

Ah ok, thanks. I think I did come across it on reddit some time ago, but never checked it out. Quite impressive for a crowd sourced venture.

Just checked the status of the cards I put in the EVGA queue and they are all still in either Sept or Oct of 2020. I signed up much later in Jan so yeah I was never getting it from the queue. Looks like I sorta won the lottery with the Newegg Shuffle.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 09:51:20 AM by faizoff »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1183 on: September 17, 2021, 07:20:04 PM »

Comparing to list, looks like I will get my 3080 in October of 2024....or never... Good job Nvidia.... :censored
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: September 17, 2021, 07:22:30 PM »
I'm so jelly of the people who get the EVGA 3080 FTW

Online T-ski

« Reply #1185 on: October 14, 2021, 05:31:42 AM »
We’ve just switched internet providers from Spectrum to TDS and are having major issues with our WiFi. As soon as our son opens his laptop our signal drops to almost nothing. Even the Ethernet hardline (via our router) into our pc has no signal.

We are using a tp link router (model AC1750) and never had this issue with Spectrum.

Any ideas?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1186 on: October 14, 2021, 07:17:18 AM »
Sounds like the signal coming to your home via your ISP might not be carrying enough power/strength? It may say it's online and connected but the quality of the signal might be poor. I'd call support for your ISP to troubleshoot if even the ethernet is showing no signal.

Does the modem that is directly connected to the main line have an ethernet connection you can test? That's a sure way of knowing if you're getting any output from the source. If you are getting internet through direct connection from the modem, the router might be the issue then. Even if it worked well with Spectrum before.

Online T-ski

« Reply #1187 on: October 14, 2021, 06:18:58 PM »
Sounds like the signal coming to your home via your ISP might not be carrying enough power/strength? It may say it's online and connected but the quality of the signal might be poor. I'd call support for your ISP to troubleshoot if even the ethernet is showing no signal.

Does the modem that is directly connected to the main line have an ethernet connection you can test? That's a sure way of knowing if you're getting any output from the source. If you are getting internet through direct connection from the modem, the router might be the issue then. Even if it worked well with Spectrum before.

I updated and reset our router and things seem better. My son is overjoyed at the fact I told him I wanted him gaming all evening to make sure things are operating correctly.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 06:24:48 PM by T-ski »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1188 on: October 19, 2021, 07:51:22 AM »
I've had my PC for about 2.5 years now, and I think I'd like to upgrade it if possible. Basically looking to improve graphics in game, not stream or anything like that. What should I do?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1189 on: October 19, 2021, 07:54:31 AM »
Well graphics cards are very hard to come by, people are scrambling just to get a GTX 1050 these days.  I'd say upgrade to a 3070 at least in theory but the reality may be you'll be paying an arm and leg for it.  Like, even for a smaller upgrade you'll be paying wayyy too much that it's not worth it unless you go right to the latest gen. 

I know this because I paid a significant amount over face value for my 3070 like 6 months ago and the market isn't any better today.