Author Topic: The PC thread  (Read 102030 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The PC thread
« Reply #1120 on: May 05, 2021, 03:21:57 PM »
The keyboard is mechanical as opposed to...?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1121 on: May 05, 2021, 03:24:48 PM »
The keyboard is mechanical as opposed to...?

Membrane

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1122 on: May 05, 2021, 03:37:06 PM »
Kinky!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1123 on: May 05, 2021, 04:03:40 PM »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1124 on: May 05, 2021, 07:22:59 PM »
I also finally managed to track down a Ryzen 9 5950x without paying scalper prices. I should be getting that on Friday along with the new keyboard. Going to be a busy fun weekend.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1125 on: May 05, 2021, 07:24:12 PM »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1126 on: May 12, 2021, 09:52:12 PM »
Going to finally replace my interim Ryzen 7 2700x that I've had since Sept with the Ryzen 9 5950x. Managed to get the retail price on it. Got an AIO water cooler for the first time, don't like flashy RGB stuff so this is the best solution according to Gamers Nexus and many others who have tested it extensively. Should be putting this up this weekend.

Still searching for that elusive retail-priced RTX 3080, might be sometime before I snag one.

Right now this would put my specs at https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gpJkt8

« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 10:00:34 PM by faizoff »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1127 on: May 13, 2021, 12:28:28 AM »
Yeah the Arctic Liquid Freezer II's are awesome, although I would have gone with the 280mm version. Better cooling and quieter. Unless, of course, your case can't fit a 280mm.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1128 on: May 13, 2021, 04:16:50 AM »
That's right it wouldn't have fit. The case is my oldest part from 2011 and still going strong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1129 on: May 13, 2021, 07:37:45 AM »
Going to finally replace my interim Ryzen 7 2700x that I've had since Sept with the Ryzen 9 5950x. Managed to get the retail price on it.

Nice, enjoy the processing powa

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1130 on: May 18, 2021, 02:25:29 PM »
Going to finally replace my interim Ryzen 7 2700x that I've had since Sept with the Ryzen 9 5950x. Managed to get the retail price on it.

Nice, enjoy the processing powa

Yes finally had the time to do it last night and this thing does not disappoint.
I turned PBO off and get some really good numbers.
Able to hit single core 5 GHz with no OC or PBO being turned on. Tis a beast. And some great temps as well with the Arctic Liquid Freezer

Yeah the Arctic Liquid Freezer II's are awesome, although I would have gone with the 280mm version. Better cooling and quieter. Unless, of course, your case can't fit a 280mm.

This turned out to be a bigger pain to fit in than I thought.

I removed the 200mm fan from the top of my Cooler Master Sniper case

to put in the 240mm.

I had measured it out and thought the 240 would fit like as shown in green here below but the VRMs of the board wouldn't allow it and had to strip the top panel out and put the fans on top.

And that caused this problem where the 1st fan would jut out and wouldn't allow the panel to be closed

The red is the fan's extent and the green line is where I need to cut out the plastic to make it fit and be able to close the panel.

I did think of doing this and put both fans on either side of the radiator, that would make the panel close and I'd be able to use both fans but decided against it as the radiator would only be half used.

I'm debating on returning this and just getting the 120mm edition or just suck it up and cut out the plastic on the top panel to accommodate the fan.

I came across a post on the internet where someone had the exact same idea back in 2009.

For now I'm going to enjoy my new super powerful CPU and worry about the panel later.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1131 on: May 18, 2021, 02:36:30 PM »
One benchmark that I've been tracking from my old system to the new is encoding a 6 1/2 min 4k movie chapter using the exact same settings in each system with handbrake, the progress is astounding.

i5 2500k (4C/4T) - 2 hrs 15 mins
Ryzen 7 2700x (8C/16T) - 45 mins
Ryzen 9 5950x (16C/32T) - 15 mins  :omg:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 02:53:07 PM by faizoff »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1132 on: May 18, 2021, 02:58:30 PM »
That's awesome! (minus the case issue)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1133 on: May 18, 2021, 07:18:16 PM »
Might be time for a new case. :dunno:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1134 on: May 19, 2021, 11:16:04 AM »
One benchmark that I've been tracking from my old system to the new is encoding a 6 1/2 min 4k movie chapter using the exact same settings in each system with handbrake, the progress is astounding.

Wouldn't that be more a function of GPU performance? If I could see that sort of boost upscaling video I'd be all over it, but that's very definitely a GPU issue.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1135 on: May 19, 2021, 11:41:17 AM »

Wouldn't that be more a function of GPU performance? If I could see that sort of boost upscaling video I'd be all over it, but that's very definitely a GPU issue.
I ran handbrake on all 3 CPU configurations with the same GPU - AMD RX 580 8 GB.

This is the video encoder (which is the CPU) I chose along with the preset. It was the same for all.

Handbrake does offer the GPU encoder too but the AMD one produces terrible results. I've read the nVidia one (NVENC) is a lot better.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1136 on: May 19, 2021, 05:20:24 PM »

Absolutely not. That is very much CPU dependent. You can do GPU encoded, but with the new Ryzen processors you will always get much better results from the CPU.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1137 on: May 19, 2021, 06:43:58 PM »

Absolutely not. That is very much CPU dependent. You can do GPU encoded, but with the new Ryzen processors you will always get much better results from the CPU.
I was just assuming the processing would be similar to image processing, which is all upscaling is, where GPUs are far better suited to the task.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1138 on: May 19, 2021, 07:11:57 PM »
The technical documentation on Handbrake goes over in great detail how the program uses resources.

In short a fast CPU and memory is the optimal performing experience with the most balanced output in terms of file size and video quality. The whole page is a great read if you want to get into the gory details of differences between various settings and hardware used to encode.

The newer computer with a faster CPU and memory performs better. While the x264 codec doesn’t scale linearly with such high thread counts, it’s still much faster here. Quality is the same compared to the slower computer, only the results are achieved more quickly.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1139 on: May 19, 2021, 08:46:23 PM »
The technical documentation on Handbrake goes over in great detail how the program uses resources.

In short a fast CPU and memory is the optimal performing experience with the most balanced output in terms of file size and video quality. The whole page is a great read if you want to get into the gory details of differences between various settings and hardware used to encode.

The newer computer with a faster CPU and memory performs better. While the x264 codec doesn’t scale linearly with such high thread counts, it’s still much faster here. Quality is the same compared to the slower computer, only the results are achieved more quickly.
That link actually does show a ~4x speed increase when utilizing the GPU in x265. However, if the quality isn't up to par then that doesn't matter. And at the rate you're chugging along at, there's no reason to sacrifice.

What I'm doing is quite different. You're compressing files. I'm expanding them. I'm looking to make old 480/720p TV shows look decent on a big screen. Doubling the size, denoising, and sharpening takes you from FPS to SPF. And in that realm, GPU processing seems to be the only way to go. By most accounts GPUs perform the task ~20x.

By way of comparison, my GTX1060 is generally turning a frame every .4 seconds. When I switch over to CPU, the same 2500k we've discussed before, it's about 10-12 seconds per frame.
E.F. Benson

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1140 on: May 19, 2021, 09:14:00 PM »
Ah I see that makes sense, I've never tried upscaling video from lower resolutions to higher ones. I would imagine that's a lot more work getting it right compared to compressing videos.

You're right about speed for x265 when it comes to GPU. the speed is great but the quality isn't comparable to CPU encoding.  I think that's mentioned somewhere in the link too. That said I should try with my current GPU and see where it figures with those same presets in terms of speed of encoding. Of course I know the quality will be shit.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1141 on: May 20, 2021, 04:02:16 AM »
The complete lack of any graphics card in Sweden is making planning a build a bit difficult. I remember I was planning a build around Ryzen 2000 series at some point...now we are up to 5000 series.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1142 on: May 20, 2021, 04:36:00 AM »
I don't know how it is in Sweden, but here in the US I've seen some folks buy those prebuilt units that come with graphics cards and then sell the rest of the components once they get it.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1143 on: June 03, 2021, 02:28:30 PM »
nVidia released the 3080ti today. Priced at a whopping $1200 which doesn't matter as you can't buy it anywhere in any case. Supposed to limit Ethereum mining though not sure how much of a deterrent that really is. Already seeing it on eBay for 3k.

Performance is supposed to much closer to the 3090 with half the RAM (who needs 24 GB RAM on their GPUs?). I have no clue when or if I'll ever be able to grab a 3080 in the near future. As I've begun playing games more regularly, I might as well just clear the backlog of old games before jumping on the more demanding games at 4k resolution.

On a side note, anyone try delidding their CPUs? I went on a rabbit hole of videos watching people delid their CPUs to get that extra few degrees in cooling while using their balls of steel to shave off the lid glue of their expensive CPUs.

This German guy de8auer in particular has adamantium sized balls of steel to delid the threadripper CPUs which cost several thousand on their own. In one of his videos he drops the heavy CPU on the motherboard socket damaging the pins rendering the board useless.

He's got some other super interesting content otherwise too where he shows how the 7nm transistors looks under the electron microscope. very interesting stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1144 on: June 03, 2021, 02:33:13 PM »
On a side note, anyone try delidding their CPUs? I went on a rabbit hole of videos watching people delid their CPUs to get that extra few degrees in cooling while using their balls of steel to shave off the lid glue of their expensive CPUs.

Nope nope nope.  I am not doing anything like that to my CPU.  This stuff is just too expensive to mess around with like that, especially these days.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1145 on: June 03, 2021, 02:45:33 PM »

Nope nope nope.  I am not doing anything like that to my CPU.  This stuff is just too expensive to mess around with like that, especially these days.

My brother has done it and after seeing a video of him doing it, no fucking thanks.

I thought about the 3080ti review but I watched the gamersnexus review and it's basically 10% performance increase for a 71% price increase, not worth it.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1146 on: June 11, 2021, 11:57:31 AM »
Already priced out my new pc using the 1080, can't wait.

It's a bit expensive at 600, but I think I will jump the gun and buy it sooner than later.  I had been saving my credit card points for this but just redeemed some of them (had over $600 worth before and now a little lass than $400) so I will likely empty out my points and pay the difference.

I don't know if I'll ever buy a video card that costs that much. I was already feeling kinda guilty buying a Radeon HD 6870 five years ago for $140. Which I think was a great deal at the time as it was the 3rd fastest card then. But $600 man that's how much 9 TB NAS cost.

Also the new NVidia Titan X was announced today to be released in 2 weeks. $1200 card!

Going through this thread is like a time capsule and my own thoughts and ideas at the time were so... primitive. How times change. Up until last year, I would never have dreamt of spending anything close to those amounts listed for just a single component. Yet here I am with an $800 CPU (5950x), that's just the CPU!

Not sure what brought about this change other than the face I've been using my last PC for about 10 years, one finally wants to venture into something new and well more expensive lol
I'm most likely not upgrading for another 10 years by the looks of it and after getting this card I think I'll be fine for a while.  :hat  4k gaming on Ultra settings here I come.

Going to sell off my old GPU RX 580 8GB to recoup some costs. :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1147 on: June 11, 2021, 03:04:45 PM »
Awesome!  :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1148 on: June 11, 2021, 03:29:57 PM »
Already priced out my new pc using the 1080, can't wait.

It's a bit expensive at 600, but I think I will jump the gun and buy it sooner than later.  I had been saving my credit card points for this but just redeemed some of them (had over $600 worth before and now a little lass than $400) so I will likely empty out my points and pay the difference.

I don't know if I'll ever buy a video card that costs that much. I was already feeling kinda guilty buying a Radeon HD 6870 five years ago for $140. Which I think was a great deal at the time as it was the 3rd fastest card then. But $600 man that's how much 9 TB NAS cost.

Also the new NVidia Titan X was announced today to be released in 2 weeks. $1200 card!

Going through this thread is like a time capsule and my own thoughts and ideas at the time were so... primitive. How times change. Up until last year, I would never have dreamt of spending anything close to those amounts listed for just a single component. Yet here I am with an $800 CPU (5950x), that's just the CPU!

Not sure what brought about this change other than the face I've been using my last PC for about 10 years, one finally wants to venture into something new and well more expensive lol
I'm most likely not upgrading for another 10 years by the looks of it and after getting this card I think I'll be fine for a while.  :hat  4k gaming on Ultra settings here I come.

Going to sell off my old GPU RX 580 8GB to recoup some costs. :biggrin:
Damn, nice! How'd you end up snagging one of those? Best Buy drop?
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1149 on: June 11, 2021, 03:44:26 PM »
Yup Best Buy. But the 3080 Ti FE was in store only.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1150 on: June 11, 2021, 04:35:29 PM »
3070 Ti seems to have buggered off from Sweden already.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1151 on: June 11, 2021, 04:40:29 PM »
Yup Best Buy. But the 3080 Ti FE was in store only.
I'm still trying to get a regular 3080. I managed to snag a 3060 for a buddy of mine in yesterdays Best Buy drop. Doesn't arrive til the 16th though.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1152 on: June 11, 2021, 04:56:46 PM »
3070 Ti seems to have buggered off from Sweden already.

The FE Edition had a similar debut here in the US at best buy.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1153 on: June 17, 2021, 05:06:56 AM »
Windows 11 leak looks very intriguing. I installed it on a VM and on it the performance is very sluggish, which is understandable as the leak is rumored to be an early build.

Start menu is put in the middle and it has a very MacOS feel to it. It needs your account sign in to view a lot of the customizations, I don't know if I want to sign in just yet.

Linus did a video on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odZSCdNTFPw&ab_channel=LinusTechTipsLinusTechTipsVerified

Verge has some more screenshots

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/15/22535123/microsoft-windows-11-leak-screenshots-start-menu

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1154 on: June 17, 2021, 06:12:34 AM »
That's really interesting, I wonder how much of it will shake out to the final version. I don't know why but looking at all this Win 11 stuff makes me want to build a retro Windows 98 machine.