Author Topic: Why the need for prerecorded vocs and perfect replication of the studio versions?  (Read 3940 times)

Offline erwinrafael

I've always been fine with Rush using triggered samples. It's 3 guys who got their hands full, and if they want a big sound it's the only way for them to do so. And even then, as I understand it Neil Peart triggers the samples himself.
And DT has 5 guys on stage. And they totally lost their spontaneity because their backing tracks (and videos) require playing to click. Somebody in the DVD thread said "oh, I love how JP played that one small line that doesn't appear on the record". MP had quite a few downsides, but he apparently was integral at keeping sterility out of DT by refusing to play to click and forcing the band to rotate around songs for each show.

I would not put sterile and DT in the same sentence after they just had one of the best setlists in a tour for quite some time. I am really tired of all these nostalgia posts where everything is made to appear better in the good old days. if you don't want how they play nowadays, just watch the old DVDs.
I agree about the set list. It's easily my favorite set list from them but it would still be nice to get an extended guitar solo or improv jam at the beginning of Scarred as was the case in 2002 and 2007.

I think their theme for this album, and the tour, is to emphasize the THEATER aspect. The album has an opening theme song and the end credits piece, which they used in the concerts. In several interviews, they bring up the aspect of trying to achieve a "cinematic" feel for the album and even the individual songs. they reflect the theater aspect again with the title of the live CD/DVD, Breaking the Fourth Wall.  so I guess this is why they did what they did for this tour. they are trying to deliver a full theater experience for the show.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Don't forget when you walked into the venue, there was the Majesty logo, star coordinates and weird space music. I remember them saying that they wanted us to step into their world right when we walked in the venue. That was an interesting aspect
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Well, that didn't exist in Boston :lol You just walked into the opera house, and there was no music playing.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
The space music wasn't much different than no music  :lol I'm sure the ushers in the theater in Minnesota were confused at what was happening.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
I'm not crazy about the use of any triggered audio in a live setting.  It's not "live" if it's prerecorded.  But times change.  If Dream Theater want to remain somewhat relevant and viable in the progmetal genre they're going to have to do whatever it takes to create compelling concert experiences for their fans.  If they believe they need backing tracks in order to accomplish this, then I guess we're going to have to accept it.  They're not overdoing it (yet) so I'm not quite ready to complain about it.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Well, that didn't exist in Boston :lol You just walked into the opera house, and there was no music playing.

No, Boston got the same atmospheric experience. 

It was cool, but I hope they don't do it again because with the lights dimmed and the ambient sounds in the background it was difficult to chat up other fans in the audience. 

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Yeah, I mean it was cool, but it didn't feel like it was a concert, more like a trip to the planetarium
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Planetariums are awesome.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Yes they are