Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909889 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
In Canada if you combine Our Lady Peace, Moist, I Mother Earth, Tea Party, that equals April Wine.

I don't know these bands either.

Moist? :lol

But...The Tea Party, now we're talking.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Canada  :metal

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Moist- pretty good band, terrible name.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
'Terrible name' was my first thought too, then I remembered there was a band called Wet Wet Wet and now Moist doesn't seem so stupid a name.  ;)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
'Terrible name' was my first thought too, then I remembered there was a band called Wet Wet Wet and now Moist doesn't seem so stupid a name.  ;)

No, it’s still stupid.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I watched Kiss' "final" concert this weekend.  I knew it was extremely unlikely, but was hoping to see Ace and Peter show up, but didn't happen.  And now Kiss will continue touring as avatars??

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
I watched Kiss' "final" concert this weekend.  I knew it was extremely unlikely, but was hoping to see Ace and Peter show up, but didn't happen.  And now Kiss will continue touring as avatars??

Gene's statement in the press release mentioned that they could hold a bunch of concerts simultaneously, hiring four musicians to play the music live, while the avatars do the "performing."  I think it's dumb as shit.  I'd have more respect for them saying "the band will live on with other musicians in the makeup"

Gene also mentioned once that it was their last live performance in makeup.  I could see them doing smaller club shows or festivals in street clothes, with a smaller scaled production.  I buy that more than some hologram spectacle show.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
As long as Gene makes money, that's the most important thing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

https://bravewords.com/news/riot-v-to-release-mean-streets-album-in-february-high-noon-lyric-video-posted

The new song is a bit cheesy but the solo section is cool. Very looking forward to this.

They've outdone themselves with this album cover.  :lol

These lyrics are fucked.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

It's a fair criticism, for sure, and it's not something I'm blind to, but it does obscure the bigger picture a bit.  Kiss is bigger than any of the band members; it's an expectation.   It's not something that translates into smaller places, or one-offs.  Just like I really dug when Twisted Sister just showed up in jeans and t-shirts to play, I do hope Kiss does something similar.  I saw Gene in a 1,000 seat club in Philly (the Trocadero, where Tesla recorded their acoustic album) and it was AMAZING.  It was so much fun, and so much more than a "Kiss arena show". 

Fair is fair; I think Paul and Gene have earned the right at this point to make Kiss be whatever they want it to be, and while I'm not automatically on board, I'm excited for the possibilities. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

It's a fair criticism, for sure, and it's not something I'm blind to, but it does obscure the bigger picture a bit.  Kiss is bigger than any of the band members; it's an expectation.   It's not something that translates into smaller places, or one-offs.  Just like I really dug when Twisted Sister just showed up in jeans and t-shirts to play, I do hope Kiss does something similar.  I saw Gene in a 1,000 seat club in Philly (the Trocadero, where Tesla recorded their acoustic album) and it was AMAZING.  It was so much fun, and so much more than a "Kiss arena show". 

Fair is fair; I think Paul and Gene have earned the right at this point to make Kiss be whatever they want it to be, and while I'm not automatically on board, I'm excited for the possibilities.

I don't know if I'm excited at all about the possibilities.

That Gene tour...I wouldn't say I regret missing it, but that looked like a great experience. His setlist was deep as hell and I'm sure I would've enjoyed it. But I guess I'm kind of past Kiss in many ways, although I did throw together a 70's playlist the other day on Spotify. I have been a Kiss fan my whole life up until the last couple of decades, but I still love their catalog of music and listen to a lot of it.

I was lucky enough to see the Paul Stanley club tour (In Hartford, with Eric Singer on drums) in 1989 and the Kiss Revenge club tour (in Boston) in 1992, and they were both amazing experiences.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
This new Mick Mars song is actually pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onhdroC-PM0

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I've just loaded up Under the Blade.

Under The Blade is ok.... produced by Pete Way!

Love the live version of Shoot 'em Down!!
https://youtu.be/Zm-DA8TXuPM?si=mMjgRfGlDTxBtOdH&t=1146
You Can't Stop Rock n Roll is where it's at, and Stay Hungry!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So on the advice of Jason and Bill, I'm going through Twisted Sister.  I'm halfway through Under the Blade;

What You Don't Know - Once this got going, this was pretty enjoyable.  Simple riffing but some cool melodies.
Bad Boys - Nah, this blows.
Run For Your Life - The intro was fucking weird but once that UFO kinda riff kicked in it was nice.  Guitar work is surprisingly decent.
Sin After Sin - Solid.  Some funny vocals on this one.
Shoot 'Em Down - Nice ACDC song.  unfortunately, I don't really like ACDC.  It's catchy enough though.  The UFO vibes that were in there were the thing that saved it.
Destroyer - I thought this was pretty shit but took notice once the solo hit, that was pretty cool.  Even some doom metal vibes in here lol.
Under the Blade - This one was pretty decent.  Nice riff.  Damn this riff reminds me of something.  Can't put my finger on it.
Tear it Loose - Another solid number.  I'm not minding the guitar work on this album at all.
I'll Never Grow Up - These types of tunes are just not for me.
Day of the Rocker - Nah, another one not really for me.

So, this was fine, I didn't mind listening to it at all.  There are some enjoyable songs here and some nice guitar work, but some slackers too. 

Onto the next on.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Under The Blade is ok.... produced by Pete Way!

Love the live version of Shoot 'em Down!!
https://youtu.be/Zm-DA8TXuPM?si=mMjgRfGlDTxBtOdH&t=1146
You Can't Stop Rock n Roll is where it's at, and Stay Hungry!!

Makes sense since I did get some UFO vibes during it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
You Can't Stop Rock n Roll is the ass kicker of their discography.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You Can't Stop Rock n Roll is the ass kicker of their discography.

YES!!!

And Stay Hungry is awesome too!!

But...that's it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You Can't Kill Rock and Roll;

The Kids Are Back - Pretty standard opener.  Enjoyable enough.  Is it weird I get Megadeth vibes at the start of the verses?
Like A Knife - Man that opening reminds me of 'I Want Candy.'  Pretty sure I've heard this one before.  Catchy chorus.  Nice key change into the solo too.  The guitar work again is solid.
Ride to Live - Get some WASP vibes from the intro.  Good groove.  Not much to say on this one, solid.
I Am - Eh.....yeah another kind of song not really my thing.  It sort of got better as it went though
Power and the Glory - Yeah, this one is cool once it gets going.  Cool chorus.  Dee actually sounds really nice on this one.  Might be my fav song yet out of the two albums.  Nice platform for the solo too.
We're Gonna Make It - Pretty standard riff but it drives the song pretty hard, making a really cool chorus too, with a great vocal melody.  The guitar playing in this band as Bill said is nothing spectacular but it's all really well executed and always has a great platform to breathe over.  Fits the criteria also for the style perfectly.  You don't want shred on this stuff, you want pentatonic blues and rock licks, that's it.  Great song.
I've Had Enough - A bit of filler but I didn't feel like skipping it.  Probably adequately placed.
I'll Take You Alive - They seem to have a knack of just keeping their riffs so damn simple but you know, they work well and pack enough in around the melodies.  I get Virgin Steele vibes from this one to be honest.  I can hear Defeis singing this.
You're Not Alone - Hmm........yeah, nah.
You Can't Stop Rock and Roll - I do like the consistency in their riffing.  :lol  Solid.

Yeah, this was a lot more enjoyable than the first one.  Is it something I'll go back to.....probably not.  I guess I've just never really been a fan of Dee's voice.  There's nothing wrong with it I guess but I just don't think he has a very pleasing voice to listen to.  But that's me.  Might continue onto Stay Hungry now while I'm going.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Street Justice  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Stay Hungry;

Stay Hungry - Oh yeah, this is a cool song, what a cool chorus.  Dee actually sounds more pleasant and melodic here.  Nice verses too, this is very slick.
We're Not Gonna Take It - We've heard it, no need to comment.  I always enjoyed it though truthfully.
Burn in Hell - For some reason on Spotify the volume on this song dropped considerably.  Weird.  Alright, fuck once this gets going we're finally into some metal territory.  I like the guitar tone here.  Yeah, this is cool as fuck.
Horror-teria - Some more metal vibes, nice.  I get strong Alice Cooper feels here too. This is fine, the second half is a nice contrast to the first.
I Wanna Rock - Damn the volume just came back lol.  We all wanna rock and we've heard this enough too.  Again, never hated it.
The Price - And the volume is down again.  I like Dee's voice here in the verses.  Decent ballad, cool solo.
Don't Let Me Down - Back to some pace again, another cool simple tune with a nice chorus.  nice guitar melody in the chorus too.  Cool duel solos also.
The Beast - Nice Sabbath groove in this one.  Cool guitar again.  Simple repetitive, but I can dig it.
SMF - Adequate closer.  Some more flashy guitar playing on this one which was nice.

Yeah, I really liked that one.  Dee sounded a lot more attractive on that one too.  I can see why they were popular back in the day, solid chops, decent melodies, seemed like a good fit for the era.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Yeah, I really liked that one.  Dee sounded a lot more attractive on that one too.  I can see why they were popular back in the day, solid chops, decent melodies, seemed like a good fit for the era.

They were really only popular because MTV played the shit out of We're Not Gonna Take It, and then I Wanna Rock. They opened for Dio and then Iron Maiden on the Stay Hungry tour. I remember MTV also played one of their concerts..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXbdZUt2qUQ

This was a good representation of what they were like when I saw them.

They played for years, since the mid 70's in the NYC clubs and then finally got their big break, and then promptly fizzled just as quick. After Stay Hungry that was about it. By the time Come Out And Play came out, people had moved off of the novelty of Twisted Sister. I mean the whole premise was foolish, and then Love If For Suckers was the nail in the coffin.

I got into them with YCKRNR. A local station had a Metal Show on Saturday nights and they played The Kids Are Back and You Can't Kill Rock n Roll. I really liked them through Stay Hungry.

I do like the Live At Hammersmith album a lot.
https://open.spotify.com/album/6sZeoCH0jAXFcLpB7dK91Q?si=RE0trQl0T_6vo2uHfAc4Pw

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks Tim.  I'll check that live one and YouTube link too.  Those two songs were fucking massive over here too.  Growing up listening to rock radio, those songs were always in rotation.

Looking at their discography, I'm surprised how little time they lasted also.  Seemed very flash in the pan, but has just been able to feed of the hits long term.

I will check Love is for Suckers, as I am a Reb Beach fan, so I'm mildly interested.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
If you're not a Twisted Sister fanatic by this point, Love is for Suckers and Come Out and Play (and the Christmas album) will not win you over at all.  And I agree, they really didn't release much material overall.

Offline Grappler

I love Dee's last couple of solo albums and the live album he put out.  Thrashy and heavy stuff - it's too bad he isn't going to continue doing albums in this vein.  He's the real deal, just a great singer and performer. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
If you're not a Twisted Sister fanatic by this point, Love is for Suckers and Come Out and Play (and the Christmas album) will not win you over at all.  And I agree, they really didn't release much material overall.

I don't think it's about becoming a fan, it's just seeing what I've not heard and give some appreciation.  I think my time on becoming 'fans' of these old school bands is pretty much past that point to be truthful.  UFO was the last one I became a 'fan' of, but even then, discovering them late, after all the novelty wore off, I don't revisit the albums like I did 20 years ago when discovering the bands I am now a fan of, if that makes sense.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Love Is For Suckers gets panned everywhere but it's like Dee singing for Winger so you might like it Kade  ;D

I always enjoyed Dee's voice over some songs with more going on musically with the guitars  - this was one I liked as a young fella Kade (Dee + Al Pitrelli) :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZHuDGJh8M4&list=PLuIHxlI11V5lYZJL4tw0AGFJJwdXGItNr&index=5

See what you think?
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Love Is For Suckers gets panned everywhere but it's like Dee singing for Winger so you might like it Kade  ;D

I always enjoyed Dee's voice over some songs with more going on musically with the guitars  - this was one I liked as a young fella Kade (Dee + Al Pitrelli) :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZHuDGJh8M4&list=PLuIHxlI11V5lYZJL4tw0AGFJJwdXGItNr&index=5

See what you think?

Exactly what I was thinking!  :lol

Yeah nice, that's a strong song.  And Dee did sound nice.  I'll check the full album tomorrow mate.  Pitrelli being involved certainly doesn't hurt either.

Offline Grappler

That Widowmaker album is awesome, especially the title track.  Dee shines on that song and it's got a killer riff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Also, there are two pretty distinct mixes for the first album.  One that is pretty rough and stark (from 1982) then another "Atlantic Records" remix from 1985 in the wake of "Stay Hungry" to make it sound more like the two records in between. Very much like Motley Crue that had an original (and many think superior) mix, and a second, more commercial version.

Offline Lowdz

I was never much of a fan of TS to be honest. They were just too basic, and this coming from a KISS fan! That Widowmaker album is quality though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I was never much of a fan of TS to be honest. They were just too basic, and this coming from a KISS fan! That Widowmaker album is quality though.

Hey Paul!!  Good to see you, hope you are well.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
I love Dee's last couple of solo albums and the live album he put out.  Thrashy and heavy stuff - it's too bad he isn't going to continue doing albums in this vein.  He's the real deal, just a great singer and performer.

Agreed. Loved his last 2 albums and upset that he is stopping.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Agreed. Loved his last 2 albums and upset that he is stopping.

Not sure if I checked the last one.

I still haven't gotten onto the Widowmaker and Love is For Suckers, but haven't forgotten.

Offline ozzy554

I also decided to do a listen of the TS discography. 2 albums deep right now and they are the very definition of serviceable. I'll say one thing though they really knew how to pick their singles. The songs I already knew of going in have been my favorites on the albums so far.

Do you read Sutter Cane?