Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896944 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Finally checking out the latest UDO.  Not sure, he's dialed back the heaviness and gone for a more classic style.  There is lots of old Accept feels on this though and most of what's on here is pretty well done.  I was just liking the heavier style he was doing.  Oh, and there's like fucking 80 songs on this thing, just keeps going!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Not sure how I missed out on Savage Messiah over the last 13 years or so.  Great thrashy and melodic metal.  These guys have a really cool sound.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Herbie Langhans is now the singer for Firewind?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

Merry HO HO HO!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity

He has been for around two years now - they put out a record with him in 2020.  That's one of a few records that will remind me of those early days of the pandemic.  It's actually a really good album - I had checked out on these guys after Allegiance, but the newest one had me revisiting a lot of their material.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Not sure how I missed out on Savage Messiah over the last 13 years or so.  Great thrashy and melodic metal.  These guys have a really cool sound.

I only have and know Hands of Fate, but its a ripper.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

He has been for around two years now - they put out a record with him in 2020.  That's one of a few records that will remind me of those early days of the pandemic.  It's actually a really good album - I had checked out on these guys after Allegiance, but the newest one had me revisiting a lot of their material.

I didn't take to it at first but I actually revisited it again a week or so again and found it quite fresh and enjoyable.  The new song they have released too is some excellent old school power metal too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Phil Lynott passed away 36 years ago today at the age of ...36...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Phil Lynott passed away 36 years ago today at the age of ...36...

Damn, a year younger than myself, that's crazy.  Such a tragic loss.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
For JJ:

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Come back JJ!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://youtu.be/7UxJE2Okaf0

This new Spirits of Fire track is pretty nice.

Offline Lowdz

https://youtu.be/7UxJE2Okaf0

This new Spirits of Fire track is pretty nice.

I didn't like it. I can't take Fabio seriously singing "normal" songs.

Offline gazinwales

Something quite strange and unusual about this song, Fabio is so low in the mix, he's almost drowned out by everything else.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This looks interesting..

https://bravewords.com/news/w-a-s-p-announce-us-tour-dates-for-40-years-live-world-tour-2022-armored-saint-to-support-michael-schenker-on-select-dates-video-trailer

A Wednesday night in Boston isn't great, but I'd be going in for Armored Saint, so we could leave early. I really don't care about missing WASP.

Michael Schenker opening the Texas dates...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Not sure what WASP are like these days but a few years ago, they still put on a really great show.  I guess it helps if you're a fan though.

Offline gazinwales

Nice cover from Tommy Johansson of the TonyMac song 'Hundreds Of Thousands' https://youtu.be/lictihs3IpY

Offline Lowdz

Not sure what WASP are like these days but a few years ago, they still put on a really great show.  I guess it helps if you're a fan though.

Blackie was using a lot of backing tracks and miming I believe. Not sure I need a “born again” Blackie in my life. I still have my memories. Most of ‘em 😁😁

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Blackie was using a lot of backing tracks and miming I believe. Not sure I need a “born again” Blackie in my life. I still have my memories. Most of ‘em 😁😁

I'm a fan, but refusing to play Animal and cutting the cursing from Chainsaw Charlie leaves me baffled.

Offline Lowdz

https://youtu.be/Mrj6AImQr30

Just stumbled across this on youtube. 80s old school riffing metal. Really liked it. Nothing flashy but made the last half hour at work fly by.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Dropped the needle on the new Magnum today. I would not behoove anyone from liking Magnum. They seem like a more than respectable band. But they really don't do much for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Dropped the needle on the new Magnum today. I would not behoove anyone from liking Magnum. They seem like a more than respectable band. But they really don't do much for me.

They are a bit ploddy for sure and I've lost track with the last few but just a solid band.  Its no surprise they are not for you though.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I like Magnum a lot, their classics like Chase The Dragon, On A Storytellers Night or Wings Of Heaven are unbeatable but they still deliver good records.

And Bob Catley in his 70s still sounds amazing.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I like Magnum a lot, their classics like Chase The Dragon, On A Storytellers Night or Wings Of Heaven are unbeatable but they still deliver good records.

And Bob Catley in his 70s still sounds amazing.

These two especially, are just incredible.

Online Kwyjibo

These two are clearly the best  :metal  really strong from start to finish.

Offline Lowdz

Yeah I loved that run from Chase the Dragon through Wings of Heaven. The albums since had been generally “solid”. Bob is creaking a bit but that’s understandable at his age. He’s been doing this over 50 years.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 10:56:28 AM by Lowdz »

Online Kwyjibo

The last ones weren't great but each one had a couple of really good tunes. Maybe they shouldn't turn out records in a two year rhythm like they've done for the last decade. But then I keep wondering how long they will be around, considering that both Clarkin and Catley are in their mid 70s.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It is impressive how frequently they are still punching out albums and while they could hold back and make a album with less filler over a period of time, as you say they won't have that much longer left, they are probably just happy being super productive while they can.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I say keep the music coming!

Offline gazinwales

Magnum are very hit and miss for me, they've done some killer albums in the late 1980's, but I really haven't bothered with them for many a year.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Heard the rumour this morning and unfortunately true.................just confirmed that Meat Loaf has passed away .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Kwyjibo

Ah, that's sad.

But as all those rock stars from the 60s and 70s aren't young anymore, sooner or later it will get to all of them.

Never was a fan of everything he did, but those Bat Out Of Hell records are great. May he rest in piece.

PS: There was even a short lived Bat Out Of Hell musical, which I saw 2 or 3 years ago (my wife is a big musical fan). Had a really weird story, but all of the hit songs were there. Some with lyrics translated to german, which was kinda strange, but overall it was really cool and showed the strength of those Jim Steinman songs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah that's sad news.  Never was a fan at all but can't deny his influence and status.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I have no idea who these guys are, but this is excellent.  Get a Ryche/Crimson Glory/Sanctuary vibe;

https://youtu.be/5jfVt6GKiC0

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I have no idea who these guys are, but this is excellent.  Get a Ryche/Crimson Glory/Sanctuary vibe;

https://youtu.be/5jfVt6GKiC0

360 pages ago they got a mention in here  ;D

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=42370.msg1929398#msg1929398

And you checked them out  :lol

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=42370.msg1929507#msg1929507

Lost track of them like just about everything else these last few years.  Will check it out.  :metal

EDIT:  having checked it out .............sounds likey they are a bit more serious now and less of the parody that they were a few years back.  That's nice - sorta Sanctuary vibe.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 05:18:04 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au