Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909720 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
With that being said I think I would take a covers album over when a band re-records an older album or their classic songs. I can’t say I’ve ever heard a new version of a song that sounds better or even as close to as good as the original. Saxon did that about 20 years ago and the new versions were heavier, but I would take the originals any day.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I like a cover here and there, especially if there's a new interpretation to the original. But a whole record of covers isn't cool. Always makes me think that the band is running out of ideas. And when they cover artists they are influenced by, it's always the same old songs, so boring.

This totally.  I often do enjoy them, when done sparingly.  Tribute albums are ok too, but when a band puts out a whole album of them??  Seems like they're doing it more for themselves than for the fans.  You don't need to milk money from fans for your own fan-service.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
With that being said I think I would take a covers album over when a band re-records an older album or their classic songs. I can’t say I’ve ever heard a new version of a song that sounds better or even as close to as good as the original. Saxon did that about 20 years ago and the new versions were heavier, but I would take the originals any day.

Yeah, re-recording old stuff is even more lame than a covers album. If you don't like how the song sounds, try a remix.

That said, I think Wihtesnake's Here I Go Again actually sounds better than the original, but then Crying In The Rain is a lot worse, imo.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah I think Whitesnake made a good decision re-recording Here I Go Again  :lol.

But that was only a few years apart. But when bands redo albums or songs 20-30 years later, for me, it will always be subpar. Did anyone listen to that Lynch Mob re-record of Wicked Sensation?

But I think a lot of bands do that so they can get rights to certain songs. So in that regard, I can understand; it might be more spite to record companies. I remember Geoff Tate doing that a few years ago for spite to QR.

Offline Kwyjibo

Never knew that Wicked Sensation was rerecorded and now that I know I have no desire to ever listen to it.  :D That original is fine as it is and can't possibly be made better.

That Tate thing was just shit, he didn't even try to make it sound decent.

Journey's Eclipse (?) has a second cd with rerecordings of their greatest hits, it had something to do with gaining the rights again or something like that. I listened to it once and thought: Why would anyone listen to it????

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
But I think a lot of bands do that so they can get rights to certain songs. So in that regard, I can understand; it might be more spite to record companies. I remember Geoff Tate doing that a few years ago for spite to QR.

This is indeed the main reason for a lot of re-records.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
One really excellent re-record album is Gamma Rays Blast from the Past.  It's a greatest hits 2CD with all the Ralf songs re-recorded and the newer songs getting some touch ups.  Wonderful package.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Kwyjibo

Just thought of Anthrax's The Greater Of Two Evils. Belladonna songs rerecorded with John Bush on vocals. That actually isn't that bad. So I may rephrase my opinion that not all, only most of rerecorded albums are lame.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
One really excellent re-record album is Gamma Rays Blast from the Past.  It's a greatest hits 2CD with all the Ralf songs re-recorded and the newer songs getting some touch ups.  Wonderful package.
That brought me back, that was my first GR album I bought and yea it's a solid one.  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Just thought of Anthrax's The Greater Of Two Evils. Belladonna songs rerecorded with John Bush on vocals. That actually isn't that bad. So I may rephrase my opinion that not all, only most of rerecorded albums are lame.

Good call on that one

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/michael-schenker-group-lyric-video-for-drilled-to-kill-feat-ralf-scheepers/

New album.  Will check the song later.

Tim’s gonna be a combination of giddy and apoplectic

This was at the top of my Release Radar playlist. Very nice way to start my day today.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

https://youtu.be/7ojvtjwZYgM

This sounds promising. James Durban from American Idol, apparently.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://youtu.be/7ojvtjwZYgM

This sounds promising. James Durban from American Idol, apparently.

Never heard him before but this was decent.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah that was pretty darn good. I didn’t think James was the best fit for Quiet Riot, at least with the studio songs.  It was a much better match with the older songs live. But this song and style suits him well.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ozzy554

2020 keeps finding ways to surprise me.  Graham Bonnet out of alcatrazz.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/alcatrazz-parts-ways-with-founding-singer-graham-bonnet-welcomes-doogie-white/

White is more than a capable singer but Bonnet IS alcatrazz.

UPDATE: apparently Graham will be going forward with his own alcatrazz project and will announce the new lineup later. So I guess they'll be 2 of them because that's always fun
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 03:57:14 PM by ozzy554 »
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That's good, because I didn't think one Alcatrazz was enough truthfully.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago

I mean, it makes perfect sense and two is better than one of course.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
4 Ratts, 3 LA Guns, 2 Alcatrazz, a Winger and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :rollin :rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ozzy554

How does this happen so easily nowadays? It seems like every few years we have something like this happen. Yet poor Rod Evans had his "Deep Purple" for about 3 months before being sued into oblivion losing all royalties to hush.....and that's with the other band not even being active at the time lol
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Cementing the fact that Doogie's brief but incredible run with Michael Schenker is over. Very sad.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

White is more than a capable singer but Bonnet IS alcatrazz.

Exactly..............seems there is an out of control manager running riot here but in the end there is no Alcatrazz without Bonnet.  It's not like the millions versions of Ratt/La Guns where there is generally at least one prominent member involved - and even they are a joke.

I'm all for multiple versions of Winger though - can't get enuff versions.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The more Kip, the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Cementing the fact that Doogie's brief but incredible run with Michael Schenker is over. Very sad.

Even though I've only been a fan of this combo a month, it's very disappointing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Jimmy Kay's The Metal Voice had a livestream today with Jimmy Waldo and Giles Lavery (Alcatrazz's manager). It's an hour long, but really insightful into the break up with Graham Bonnet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCtVkDp_-zk

Some highlights..

* Even though Graham signed on to do the last album and promote it, he constantly complained about the direction of the album
* He doesn't like heavy shreddy music
* Bonnet basically disappeared for and would not contact anyone for weeks even though there were promo obligations
* The band's mamanger, also was Bonnet's manager resigned from representing Bonnet after being unable to communicate with him
* When Bonnet did do press, he started pimping the new Graham Bonnet Band while supposed to be promoting Alcatrazz
* The band was pissed off, as they have 2021 obligations
* All that is announced is that Doogie will be fulfilling the live obligations, but reading between the lines, he will be on their next album

also..
* When the band was being formed by Bonnet, Waldo, and Shea, their drummer search included spending three days with Clive Burr, but unfortunately he wasn't in great shape during this time.

Offline ozzy554

I listened to that too and was about to post about it here. I know it's only one side of the story but now I'm rooting for the other guys. Whether you like the musical direction or not if you signed a contract you do the work you've agreed to. Also it seems that over the years Graham has been taking a bit too much credit even though the songwriting was more of a collaborative effort. They guy's have mentioned that Graham has been in a dark place recently with unnamed personal problems so at the end of the day I just hope he's ok.

Giles sounded heartbroken during parts of the interview because managing graham was a passion project for him. He openly said that he knew it wasn't going to be a lucrative gig but he just really wanted to work with him. It seems like he still worked his ass off for him as Graham has a bit of a career resurgence under his management.

Still going to be weird hearing Alcatrazz with someone else but I'm more open minded to it after the interview than I was before.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I hated how Jimmy Kay kept interrupting Jimmy Waldo with nonsense.

Still going to be weird hearing Alcatrazz with someone else but I'm more open minded to it after the interview than I was before.

Oh definitely, and Doogie's excellent work with Michael Schenker over most of the past decade has me very accepting of whatever he's doing.

But honestly, a keyboard player and a bassist carrying on the band's name? I do think that's kind of lame even though they are original members.

Offline ozzy554

Yeah I can agree on that but they have commitments and they need to get them done and it sounded like graham didn't give them many options.

Though if they do make an album with Doogie they have to knock it out of the park. The songwriting for it I think will either make or break that band. 
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Though if they do make an album with Doogie they have to knock it out of the park. The songwriting for it I think will either make or break that band.

Well, Born Innocent fucking blows chunks so it won't be hard to top that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Well, Born Innocent fucking blows chunks so it won't be hard to top that.

I didn't check the album but I liked the Polar Bear song.  Based on knowing you and what blows chunks, I won't bother.