Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909621 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
While a lot of us are online here at the moment (a rare time I have a couple of hours on my home PC), I just wanted you guys to spare thoughts for Brent in his current situation.  I haven't spoken or PM'ed him directly, but the state he lives in (Victoria) is once again getting crippled by Coronavirus.  Up here in Brisbane we are somewhat back to normal for now but the cases keep rising down there and the state is almost on the brink of complete collapse it seems.  It's crazy how cases have ramped up down there over the last week or more. Anywhere between 300-500 getting recorded each day.  It's going to be a tough road for everyone living down there at the moment, and it's not looking great at the moment.

When I see the news I pesoanlly think about you each day mate.

Amen, brother!

And the poor guy just survived the fires..

The thing with that is, the next fire season isn't far away at all.   :-\
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

Jeez, everything in Oz wants to kill you, even the weather. I値l send you some of this north of England rain. We have plenty.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Jeez, everything in Oz wants to kill you, even the weather. I値l send you some of this north of England rain. We have plenty.

I love the cloudy rainy weather.  People think I'm strange when I say that.  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

I love the cloudy rainy weather.  People think I'm strange when I say that.  :lol

Isn't that a Garbage song from the 90s?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm surprised you know who Garbage are J!  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

This quote was based on the extreme vague memory of 16 year old Jason listening to 92 Citi fm in Winnipeg in 1995.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think he was saying the song was garbage. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

I also remember Toadies Possum Kingdom and Sponge Wax Ecstatic.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
And this message is from 16 year old Jason in 1995 to Wolfking..........."wolf check out this song ....I Mother Earth- Levitate"............it kicks ass.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
1995 Jason will also throw in I Mother Earth- Rain Will Fall, Not Quite Sonic, So Gently We Go........Our Lady Peace- Birdman, Julia........Moist- Machine Punch Through.........Tea Party- A Certain Slant of Light.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
1995 Jason will also throw in I Mother Earth- Rain Will Fall, Not Quite Sonic, So Gently We Go........Our Lady Peace- Birdman, Julia........Moist- Machine Punch Through.........Tea Party- A Certain Slant of Light.

I'll have to check these but that Tea Party song is one of my faves.  It's a cracker.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
And this message is from 16 year old Jason in 1995 to Wolfking..........."wolf check out this song ....I Mother Earth- Levitate"............it kicks ass.

Damn kid, I didn稚 know you were that much younger than me!

I Mother Earth are serviceable.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

That garbage song from the 90's is pretty much spot on across the board  :lol

Thanks for the thoughts guys........and Kade for your post.   There's really two different worlds out there at the moment.   The USA in particular is plowing along (for the most part) with life while COVID goes ballistic whereas we shut the whole place down whenever things get into the hundreds of cases per day.  And parts of the US stock market are at all time highs .........I used to play that game for a living but the US Fed has destroyed whatever "market" existed.

My business is struggling but I have managed to retain a decent portion of my students online. It's been a huge amount of work to adjust , then go back to normal (literally for 3 days) and then revert back again etc...  When the government support gets dialled back by around 70% in October we're going to see the shit hit the fan and I have a feeling we could be in lockdown well beyond August in our area......possibly til Christmas.

For most of the time since March we have only been able to go out for 4 reasons (now with mask only):

- food/essentials
- local exercise
- work (if not possible to work from home)
- caring for someone else.

My Dad is recently home from hospital and my sister is basically bedridden awaiting spinal surgery so I am doing plenty of "caring." 

For someone like me who isn't the most social (I joke that I have been in lockdown for 15 years) the social aspect isn't a big deal but I know Ben and my missus are going stir crazy.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 06:55:09 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Egos came into play with that band...Dig and then Scenery and Fish should have made I Mother Earth mega stars........being big stars in Canada went to their heads and when they had a chance to make it in the States, they imploded.

Wolf............since I posted about I Mother Earth- Levitate, I've played that song a half dozen times.... I stand behind 1995 Jason.......it kicks major ass.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I saw I Mother Earth live when Jason was 15. :lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
@ Wolfking...your PM Inbox is full!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Egos came into play with that band...Dig and then Scenery and Fish should have made I Mother Earth mega stars........being big stars in Canada went to their heads and when they had a chance to make it in the States, they imploded.

Wolf............since I posted about I Mother Earth- Levitate, I've played that song a half dozen times.... I stand behind 1995 Jason.......it kicks major ass.

LOL, I just played it, pretty cool.  I definitely would have been into that when I was a teen.  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

That garbage song from the 90's is pretty much spot on across the board  :lol

Thanks for the thoughts guys........and Kade for your post.   There's really two different worlds out there at the moment.   The USA in particular is plowing along (for the most part) with life while COVID goes ballistic whereas we shut the whole place down whenever things get into the hundreds of cases per day.  And parts of the US stock market are at all time highs .........I used to play that game for a living but the US Fed has destroyed whatever "market" existed.

My business is struggling but I have managed to retain a decent portion of my students online. It's been a huge amount of work to adjust , then go back to normal (literally for 3 days) and then revert back again etc...  When the government support gets dialled back by around 70% in October we're going to see the shit hit the fan and I have a feeling we could be in lockdown well beyond August in our area......possibly til Christmas.

For most of the time since March we have only been able to go out for 4 reasons (now with mask only):

- food/essentials
- local exercise
- work (if not possible to work from home)
- caring for someone else.

My Dad is recently home from hospital and my sister is basically bedridden awaiting spinal surgery so I am doing plenty of "caring." 

For someone like me who isn't the most social (I joke that I have been in lockdown for 15 years) the social aspect isn't a big deal but I know Ben and my missus are going stir crazy.

Good to hear you still have somewhat of a client base.  Kids still need to learn and people still need things to do I guess.  Yeah, the whole jobkeeper thing I haven't really had to follow luckily, but I thought it was getting extended until XMas?  I know the amount will be lower than what it was though.  The way it's going though I'm sure public pressure will count for something.  The mandatory mask thing spun me about too, shit is getting real.

It's definitely interesting the difference in actions between us and the US.  We've done well up until now down there, but as we know, it could and should have been avoided.  It does look like lockdown down there will carry over for a few months more.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Jobkeeper is going until Xmas yeah (reduced).................but they are applying the same turnover test again which means that if you have bounced back to the point where your turnover is better than 70% of this time last year (50% for bigger businesses) then you're off and that is expected to kick 70% of business off which means layoffs big time.  And that will effect all businesses.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 07:11:18 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I still say that Wolf and Brent need to make a Cacophony version 2 album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Now there's a Pledge Me campaign that I'd contribute to.
Crikeyphony :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Now there's a Pledge Me campaign that I'd contribute to.
Crikeyphony :metal

Take my DTF donation money and move it over!  :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
CacoPHONY  :lol

I am guessing Chad is already all over this but I just saw the new video single from Nightmare sans Magali and followed up on what she's doing.  Seems there is now a new band called The Prize featuring her and Christophe Godin who did guitars on the Epysode : Obsessions album.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 04:33:24 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I am guessing Chad is already all over this but I just saw the new video single from Nightmare sans Magali and followed up on what she's doing.  Seems there is now a new band called The Prize featuring her and Christophe Godin who did guitars on the Epysode : Obsessions album.

No, I hadn't heard about that!  I did listen to the new Nightmare single yesterday.  'twas ok... nothing grabbed my attention too much, but I was multi-tasking, so I need to give it a proper listen.  Now, the new Vanishing Point single that dropped... I'm REALLY looking forward to this album now.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Jobkeeper is going until Xmas yeah (reduced).................but they are applying the same turnover test again which means that if you have bounced back to the point where your turnover is better than 70% of this time last year (50% for bigger businesses) then you're off and that is expected to kick 70% of business off which means layoffs big time.  And that will effect all businesses.

If that counts benefits then people receiving jobkeeper and getting more on benefits then what they were when working then they may be in trouble.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I can do your guitar parts if you want Brent.  :biggrin:

I saw that Nightmare on YouTube but didn't watch it.  I'll go back and check it out.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Adding another songs to the top 10 song of the year argument;

The Beast Inside Me by The Lightbringer of Sweden.  What a tune.  It's so simple but just fucking amazing.  I'm only halfway through this album too, it's a ripper.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm liking this:

This is fucking excellent.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm liking this:

This is fucking excellent.

It's funny, Herbie is so hit and miss for me - Firewind, Beyond the Bridge, Voodoo Circle - HIT!!  Symphonity, Sinbreed, Seventh Ave - MISS!!

This one was a hit.  And truthfully, I'm stunned that it was also a hit for Tim.  Seems way to 'power-metal' for his liking.  And no growls!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Funny, I thought it sounds exactly like something Tim would definitely be into.  Doesn't need growls if it's fucking excellent metal with great, balls out singing.  He sounds like Biff a lot on this album.

There's a few songs here that would make the argument of making a top 10 SOTY list.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Seems like the guitarist is an unknown too.  Go on lad!  He's ripping it up on this, tasteful guitar playing.

Offline Lowdz

Agreed. This is a belter.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The one two punch of Heaven Has Fallen and Shadows of the Night to finish the album is fucking mint.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This one was a hit.  And truthfully, I'm stunned that it was also a hit for Tim.  Seems way to 'power-metal' for his liking.  And no growls!

Funny, I thought it sounds exactly like something Tim would definitely be into.  Doesn't need growls if it's fucking excellent metal with great, balls out singing.  He sounds like Biff a lot on this album.

So like a lot of things, there's always a fine line.

Vocally, I like this. He sounds a little less rougher than Mark Tornillo.

I do like Power Metal. But there's lots of it I don't care for too. Usually always comes down to the vocals, sound, and songs. But I'm all for the style.

But Lightbringer is closer to classic metal of Accept/Saxon that I really like.

I do through my new albums every Friday, and it seems like anything with clean vocals just isn't interesting enough. Most of the intriguing music has harsh vocals. Last Friday was so refreshing because I Saved a bunch of good albums with clean vocals.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I avoided listening to that because the album cover looked like growls to the max.

Listening now  :metal :metal

Singer is a totally a cross between Mark Tornillo and Biff.