Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909975 times)

Offline Lowdz

Keel were a decent band. He let the side down when he went country but that was at least a part of his background. Better than those 80s bands that went grunge

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I thought Keel blew chunks, but I'll leave it at that as I see I'm outnumbered.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I spent very little time listening to Keel but put them in a similar basket to Quiet Riot..............a bit heavier at their heaviest and more melodic but similar vibe.

Listening to The Final Frontier now (that makes 2 albums in 2 days - more than the last month  :lol ) which seems to be the fave based on my ratings.  Very listenable but nothing special about it
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think Metal Health is amazing. But a few months back, I listened to Condition Critical, and it simply hasn't held up.

I though Keel was awful. I really did.

I had a copy of The Final Countdown and it was extremely average. Better than Keel though. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I love The Final Countdown and never rated Quiet Riot apart from a few songs  ;D     The guitars/writing were often so basic with QR my ear just drifted..........I actually listened more to the album with Shortino that everyone else hates  :lol    Keel have a far better grasp of melodic songwriting but I get why that 80's "melodic rock" edge may turn you off.

Listening to that Keel ,the QR vibe just kept coming -  I reckon he is actively copying Kevin Dubrow to be honest. Some of the vocal inflections are just too spot on.

Re The Final Countdown .........like with many of us whether we like an album or not can be a product of the personal timeline.  When TFC came out I was 12 and had just started to branch out from KISS to Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Europe and soon after Whitesnake/Ozzy with Jake etc....    So it was all about big melodies and big guitars and The Final Countdown fit the bill nicely.  I can't say I have listened to it in ages but there wouldn't be too many tracks I would skip (probably Carrie and Time Has Come).  Funny how albums from my childhood I can reel off a tracklist but anything released in the last 10 years I wouldn't have a hope in hell.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I never bothered with QR after CC. I did buy the first Rough Cutt album, but it was quite meh. I though Shortino had a good voice, but IMO, he needed the perfect scenario and I'm not sure lame LA bar bands were it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I agree about Rough Cutt (although Dreamin Again caught my ear at the time as a decent ballad)..............the writing didn't stack up.   They're possibly a bit too "melodic rock" for you but if you like Shortino's voice and want to hear it with some decent writing , the most consistent albums he did IMO were:

Shortino/Northrup "Back On Track" :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKU49qtvU3M

Badd Boyz s/t   :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX_8Srf8PRk

He never really found the right band situation which is a shame as he has a distinctive voice.   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Hah, you mention Dreamin Again, and I can immediately recall the chorus, and it has literally been 30+ years since I've heard it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I think Dreamin Again by Rough Cutt is an outstanding ballad

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Pretty sure I played it on a podcast at some point...........it's about the only song of theirs I would return to but yeah - a real ear worm of a chorus.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought their s/t was a few notches above solid, Cutt Your Heart Out was a good tune

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
They're the kings of lengthy choruses aren't they?  ;D

Cutt your heart out.....heart out...........heart out

Oh no I feel I'm dreamin again .......oh no I'm dreamin

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I really think Dreamin Again could have been a huge hit if it was given some radio play. To me it sounds like a major hit.

Btw I’ve never even heard of the band Ayreon until I clicked on new threads in GMD. I’ll keep it classic rock where I’m comfortable lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I really think Dreamin Again could have been a huge hit if it was given some radio play. To me it sounds like a major hit.

Btw I’ve never even heard of the band Ayreon until I clicked on new threads in GMD. I’ll keep it classic rock where I’m comfortable lol

yeah..........I just played it then.   You guys are getting me motivated to listen a bit more  :metal    It's surprisingly heavy in parts , so a really nice "metal ballad"

I've never got the fuss about Ayreon either - his writing doesn't connect with me and I don't immerse myself in concept albums like many around here.  If the music's good and catchy  (Mindcrime/Crimson Idol) I might take an interest in the concept but otherwise it's not a carrot to me at all.   From memory I liked the vibe of his Star One music better.   He was actually in the metal band Vengeance Jay , so that might be your connection to the "Ayreon guy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EpyU49IELo

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Rough Cutt opened the first leg of the Sacred Heart tour when Vivian was still in the band. I saw them on 9/11/85.

Not sure if Rough Cutt was on the same label as Dio, but they got a major push on this tour. I remember buying their first album (on cassette) before the show so I could familiarize myself with it. It really wasn't all that bad. Of course it really wasn't all that good. I'm also pretty sure they had a picture and writeup in the Dio tour program.
I know I still have it. It's been a while since I posted a classic tour program. I'll have to dig that one out.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I won’t even bother with Ayreon lol

But relating to classic rock/metal, Rough Cutt had me thinking. Like I mentioned, Dreamin Again IMO could have been a huge hit if given attention. Can you think of any obscure classic metal/rock bands with a song that you think could have or should have been a hit.

Off the top of my head.

Shark Island- Paris Calling
Banshee- All Alone
House of Lords- O Father

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Never heard of any of those, but since The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread is coming together very nicely...

UFO-Looking Out For #1
MSG-Never Trust A Stranger
UFO-Let IT Rain
Waysted-Heaven Tonight

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I’m very much looking forward to that UFO thread.

Maybe Brent, Paul or Hath can confirm, but I think Shark Island could have been huge. I might be off on that but I think in LA they were being built as the next GNR

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You may or may not know, but Spencer Sercombe accompanied Michael Schenker and Robin McAuley on their 1992 acoustic tour.

I never actually followed up with Shark Island.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Check out Paris Calling, major kick ass tune  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'll give you a response on facebook.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll give you a response on facebook.

Lol I’m waiting for a Tim Crowley response  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
2050! :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Paris Calling definitely got played on a podcast.

There was a bit of buzz around Shark Island as a live band yeah.  The big connection to GnR was that supposedly Axl used to go see them each week and take notes.  Much of his on stage persona was stolen from Richard Black of Shark Island.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I’m very much looking forward to that UFO thread.

Seriously though, I am so pumped for it. It is basically written. I will launch it when Obert finishes his Jethro Tull Discog Thread.

Still figuring out how to integrate the Michael Schenker Discography along with it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I’m sure Richard Black is getting royalty checks from the Not in this Lifetime tour

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
IIRC, I gave JJ a Star One track in his roulette... yup, Master of Darkness.  Check the rest of that shit out, you'd dig both albums I think - especially because of the themes.

Also,  there are probably a few gems from Ayreon here and there you'd like - I mean, check the vocalists from Flight of the Migrator - Russell Allen, Bruce Dickinson, Ralf Scheepers, Andi Deris, Timo Kotipelto... most of which I know are voices from bands you do dig.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

I bought Rough Cutt Wants You but didn’t rate it. The Shortino album was better as Brent says but I wasn’t a fan.

I always tough of Keel as the polite cousin of WASP, similar style, raspy singer, but without the shock value. I like Final Frontier and love the self titled. TRTR is average. I’m not a super fan or anything but I enjoyed them.

Shark Island had that one excellent album then nothing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I have no idea who anyone is talking about for pretty much this whole page.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I have no idea who anyone is talking about for pretty much this whole page.

What if I said Winger's Seventeen should've been yuuuge.

I'll say a few better known names around here (while still obscure) for potential hits:

MSG:  Anytime
Tyketto: Forever Young/Wings
Y&T : Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark
Frehley's Comet: It's Over Now  (really a Tod Howarth solo ballad with Ace putting in an appearance)
Shadow King (Lou Gramm/Vivian Campbell): Russia/This Heart Of Stone
Forcefield (Tony Martin/COzy Powell) : I Lose Again
The Four Horsemen: Rockin Is Ma Business
Harem Scarem: Honestly
LA Guns: Over The Edge
Von Groove:  I Saw The Light
Warrant: Stronger Now
Wild Horses: The River Song
XYZ: Souvenirs
21 Guns: These eyes
Zeno: Heat Of Emotion
220 Volt : Love Is All You Need

One rare sappy ballad I always thought had hit potential (if released a couple of years earlier) .....Sic Vikki: Damage Is Done.  Love or hate the song but the guy had some pipes.
Maybe (in AOR/melodic rock) also New Moon by Diving For Pearls.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 09:09:00 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

I have a Sic Vikki album, Kiss Me In French I think it was called. Can't remember anything about it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I have a Sic Vikki album, Kiss Me In French I think it was called. Can't remember anything about it.

I knew if anyone else would , it'd be you.   For that style (relatively wimpy melodic rock) it was a quality production etc.......Steve Plunkett from Autograph producing  Tim would;ve been all over it  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Not sure I've got the album ripped, not showing up on Google Play. Will have to see if I can brave the attic to look for it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Not sure I've got the album ripped, not showing up on Google Play. Will have to see if I can brave the attic to look for it.

It’s on Spotify (in Canada at least)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion