Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909893 times)

Offline max_security

En Force  , bad - ass tune.

It's easy to say that I have another QR album that is better than this one , until this one is playing in your face.

Listening to this , to me , is like the movie " Little Big Man " . " Back when I was a " HUMAN BEING " " .
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 02:30:53 PM by max_security »

Offline max_security

Ok , this is just heavy AF. As the opening lyrics to " Before the Storm " . It was heavy for a clean sounding band you know . I don't know all of the ins and outs of QR , only that I'm getting old now and that I listened to them back then. Is that DeGarmo that writes these lyrics ?

" Red gates of iron cast their black shadows on this land
Divided souls , far below ".

There is a " sincerity " about this album that can defiantly be felt. Roads to Madness is extraordinary . 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 02:53:59 PM by max_security »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline max_security

I love Alice Cooper

He made me. My folks put Killer on , threw the headphones on my ears , and I was a happy camper.

shifting gears bro. Warning to Killer I'm in !!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The Warning is just an amazing metal album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
OK, Max, sorry I changed the subject on you.

The run of En Force-Deliverance-No Sanctuary-NM-Take Hold Of The Flame is so freaking killer. And yes, Roads To Madness is godly.

If I could only take say 25 albums with me to a desert island, both Warning and Killer easily make the trip.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline max_security

My 16 year old daughter is really into " Queen " ( as they have been dramatized by the media for the last couple of years ). I told her from the start that it is " Queensryche " that you should be " idolizing " and that they got it wrong. She is starting to understand what I was talking about , lol.

Shoot man , you guys have been burning this flame more dedicated than I have , I am a guest in your house. I'll chime in once in awhile , we're all on the same team.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Shoot man , you guys have been burning this flame more dedicated than I have , I am a guest in your house. I'll chime in once in awhile , we're all on the same team.

Post counts don't matter to old school metalers.  :2metal:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's not the post counts, but the posts that count.

Offline max_security

I fought the good fight for a long time  , life got in my way at one point lol ( house , kids in the 90's ). Shit I still have all of my gear as well as the songs in my head.

But much appreciated fellows. Shoot man it's all about pieces of wood and steel and what some guys did with it in the end. Many created some magical sounds and thats what we're talking about.

But yeah , I'd like to see a serious documentary on Queensryche , AND Alice Cooper. Either ( both ) would make for an interesting story even only telling half of the truth , lol.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
For Alice, check out Super Duper Alice Cooper. It's done by the same guys that did Flight 666 and the Rush doc. Banger Films.
It's an amazing film and the way they did it was incredible. They told the story using the voices of the participants (Alice, his band, etc...) while never actually showng anyone on camera. It was all done against the backdrop of pictures and film footage. It's really incredible.

Asfar as QR, just check out Samsara's site!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The Warning is just a spectacular album, and like the maxster said, En Force is such a bad ass tune and has always been one of my favorites. And also one of the coolest tunes in the entire QR discography is NM156. Amazing song on an amazing album. Like Tim mentioned, check out Sam’s QR page, he really is a wealth of QR knowledge.

In regards to the new Primal Fear song, it hurts to say this......but it’s solid lol. I know the band is basically built on being a generic heavy metal band and generic rock/metal is all I pretty much listen to but this seems like the band really going through the motions on this tune. Definitely still a good tune but nothing that I’m going out of my way to listen to. Not even remotely in the league of “Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove” or “Roller Coaster”.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
My 16 year old daughter is really into " Queen " ( as they have been dramatized by the media for the last couple of years ). I told her from the start that it is " Queensryche " that you should be " idolizing " and that they got it wrong. She is starting to understand what I was talking about , lol.

You are always welcome in our house mate.  Stay and visit as often and as much as you like mate.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The Warning is just a spectacular album, and like the maxster said, En Force is such a bad ass tune and has always been one of my favorites. And also one of the coolest tunes in the entire QR discography is NM156. Amazing song on an amazing album. Like Tim mentioned, check out Sam’s QR page, he really is a wealth of QR knowledge.

In regards to the new Primal Fear song, it hurts to say this......but it’s solid lol. I know the band is basically built on being a generic heavy metal band and generic rock/metal is all I pretty much listen to but this seems like the band really going through the motions on this tune. Definitely still a good tune but nothing that I’m going out of my way to listen to. Not even remotely in the league of “Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove” or “Roller Coaster”.

Yeah, I just hope it's the token 'I love metal' song for the album and the rest is more what we have been getting.

Speaking of Iron Fist, I never understood that song being a bonus track.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Karlsson stepping up the songwriting a little here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hKGOWwREMs

This vocalist.......he's..... simply fucking incredible.

Sorry, probably should have been in the wuss thread haha.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I saw that posted, but I'm saving myself for the full album release.  Nice to see you think so highly of it though.  I'm very eager now - like I wasn't in the first place!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice to see you think so highly of it though.

I don't think me thinking highly of a Magnus Karlsson songs says much Chad.  :lol

Offline Lowdz

Agreed. What a voice. You just know he’s going to be everywhere for the next few years like Ronnie Romero was.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
His main band are more of a bluesy rock thing that (from what I have heard) doesn't appeal to me all that much - hopefully he now makes the move into some more hard rock/metal stuff.   No doubt Frontiers will now get him into their project roster.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Agreed. What a voice. You just know he’s going to be everywhere for the next few years like Ronnie Romero was.

This guy trumps Ronnie for mine.

His main band are more of a bluesy rock thing that (from what I have heard) doesn't appeal to me all that much - hopefully he now makes the move into some more hard rock/metal stuff.   No doubt Frontiers will now get him into their project roster.

Yeah, I sampled a song and didn't like it and it didn't show off his voice like Karlsson has here.  I'm sure we'll hear more from him.  Cool that he's on two songs on the album also.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Definitely. I'd be fine if I never heard Ronnie Romero again.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Definitely. I'd be fine if I never heard Ronnie Romero again.

:lol

I like the Ferrymen, mainly because it's a Karlsson project and while Ronnie is a good vocalist, I find him pretty overrated too.

Offline Lowdz

I don’t mind him at all but the overexposure is getting a bit much.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I simply can't get into Lords of Black either.  Don't know what people see/hear in them.

Offline Lowdz

I simply can't get into Lords of Black either.  Don't know what people see/hear in them.

yeah, nothing special about them. He suffers a bit from Ripper Owens syndrome - being talented but appearing on stuff that isn't great, the stuff with Karlsson aside. I know you won't agree about Ripper  ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Curious where all this overexposure is coming from?  In the past 5 years, he's been in 4 bands that have released albums (Lords of Black, CoreLeoni, Destinia, and The Ferrymen), and toured with Rainbow.  He's done a handful of guest spots on top of that. I wouldn't consider that overexposure.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
He fit like a glove in CoreLeoni (Gotthard) but looks like it ain't happening.............would be a much better replacement for Steve Lee than Nic Maeder.   
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Curious where all this overexposure is coming from?  In the past 5 years, he's been in 4 bands that have released albums (Lords of Black, CoreLeoni, Destinia, and The Ferrymen), and toured with Rainbow.  He's done a handful of guest spots on top of that. I wouldn't consider that overexposure.

Probably because he pops up on my facebook all the time. Throw Rainbow in, Vandenberg, Sinner's Santa Muerte album. Hell, he'll be on the next Avantasia, you watch.

Offline max_security

Racer - X . This is what Priest should have been doing in 87.

https://youtu.be/TmmtEoZQonA

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Racer - X . This is what Priest should have been doing in 87.

https://youtu.be/TmmtEoZQonA

The Priest version of this song was on their Metalogy collection from years ago, and after comparing the two versions, I definitely give the nod to Racer X.  Halford recorded a different version which was on Live Insurrection and it was also better than the Priest version.  As far as Racer X goes, great underrated band- Sunlit Nights is my favorite song from them.

Offline max_security

I remember when this came out , and it just showed that JP got lazy on guitar. That Racer - X cover is very restrained and 20X better than what Tipton and Downing could do on their best day back then.

My favorite was / is " Blowin Up The Radio " from Racer - X. The album ( Street Lethal ) and cassette had the warning sticker about the guitar being so fast that it could be a health risk , lol.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
“Into the Night” from Street Lethal is also kick ass!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I remember when this came out , and it just showed that JP got lazy on guitar. That Racer - X cover is very restrained and 20X better than what Tipton and Downing could do on their best day back then.

My favorite was / is " Blowin Up The Radio " from Racer - X. The album ( Street Lethal ) and cassette had the warning sticker about the guitar being so fast that it could be a health risk , lol.

I can't really agree with this.  I haven't listened to that Racer X album for a while but while Gilbert and Bouillet are masters, especially Gilbert, Tipton is something magical and has always been a special, one of a kind guitarist.  To me anyway.  While he's not the shredder these guys are, his solos are some of the most technical and well constructed, tasteful solos around.

Turbo was a bit light on in the solo department due to the direction the band was going but RID has the title track, Heavy Metal and I'm A Rocker.  Those 3 are some of Glenn's best and favs of mine.  Glenn came out swining even more with Painkiller too.

Saying all that, I've just found Glenn a special and influential guitarist, so I may have blinkers on but will have to revist that Racer X album too.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That sounds like a subjective opinion to me Wolfster. But then again, it could be objective. I’ll go with objectively subjective.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
When it comes to Racer X (when I was young) I just listened to one song over and over -  Scarified.

www.theguitardojo.com.au