Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909466 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I actually thought he was perfect for Eat 'em And Smile. But I could never understand him joining Whitesnake.

Why? 

Eat 'em and Smile is a great album.

So is Slip of the Tongue.  I'm not too keen on his solo stuff either.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I actually thought he was perfect for Eat 'em And Smile. But I could never understand him joining Whitesnake.

Why? 

I have never honestly ever expected non guitar players to want to listen to Steve Vai's solo stuff.  I have no issues with non guitarists not liking his stuff. 

Although songs like For the Love of God and Tender Surrender are hard to not be impressed by no matter who you are.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline max_security

I'm not too sure what you mean?  Yes, his style is very acquired and downright strange at times, but Passion and Warfare, Fire Garden and even Ultra Zone has some of the most amazing guitar instrumental songs of all time.  Vai offered a lot more than a lot of his counterparts in terms of guitar instrumental albums.

I just think that he forces the " abstract " just for the sake of being abstract in much of his solo material. I think that when he is writing for a band it reels him in and we get to hear the rock musician Steve Vai.   

Offline Lowdz

Why? 

I have never honestly ever expected non guitar players to want to listen to Steve Vai's solo stuff.  I have no issues with non guitarists not liking his stuff. 

Although songs like For the Love of God and Tender Surrender are hard to not be impressed by no matter who you are.

This. I have all his albums but there are tracks on each one that are too weird for me.

Eat ‘em & Smile is a great album. The guitar playing just sounds so cool.

I really like Slip too. It was a great guitar album but not a typical Whitesnake album. The blues was gone. Still great though.

Offline max_security

I had a couple drinks so I can say it now ... he is a musical genius but he is just not a strong player ( Vai ). Dude is clever as F on most of what he does but he is not playing on-beat 32nd note passages of any fast metronome number. Clever but not STRONG. I do enjoy Vai , I'm not trying to trash him.

Strong =

https://youtu.be/ScMsdLKhiyI

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not too sure what you mean?  Yes, his style is very acquired and downright strange at times, but Passion and Warfare, Fire Garden and even Ultra Zone has some of the most amazing guitar instrumental songs of all time.  Vai offered a lot more than a lot of his counterparts in terms of guitar instrumental albums.

I just think that he forces the " abstract " just for the sake of being abstract in much of his solo material. I think that when he is writing for a band it reels him in and we get to hear the rock musician Steve Vai.   

True but as I said he has more strsightforward songs that really shows what he can do scattered through the albums.

I had a couple drinks so I can say it now ... he is a musical genius but he is just not a strong player ( Vai ). Dude is clever as F on most of what he does but he is not playing on-beat 32nd note passages of any fast metronome number. Clever but not STRONG. I do enjoy Vai , I'm not trying to trash him.

Strong =

https://youtu.be/ScMsdLKhiyI

So he's not a strong player because of his shred technique?

Offline Lowdz

Loo is is playing someone else’s song there. Little Chinese girls can play that track. I don’t get the argument. It’s just personal taste.
Vai is a legendary player and composer. You might not like what he does but it doesn’t change that fact.

Loo is is great too. Jason Becker was better.

Offline max_security

Fighting just to fight dudes. I do love alot of Steve Vai but he could never play that ( in his prime ).

OK , 30 plus years later people are starting to FINALLY play to this level. There was no youtube back then. Lets see the little oriental girls play this half drunk in a club at 2 am. Or an improvised jam . Patterns and not what they mean or how they were derived.

As much as I try to be nice on here I seem to get F'd with more. Steve is a good player , I like when he is in a band. His solo stuff is weak , my opinion since 1986. F it , he is not Becker or Yngwie ( skinny ) , or MacAlpine .

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't want to detour that Ozzy thread by Wildranger, as it's just about the first two Ozzy albums.  But to me, the quintessential Ozzy albums are Blizzard of Ozz through No More Tears, no question.  Ozzmosis has some great songs on it, but I could see it being a change of sound overall for Ozzy.  Every single solo album and song by Ozzy after Ozzmosis, I'm not a fan of.  At best I might think it's solid :).  I actually have very little interest in hearing any post No More Tears Ozzy and honestly, the moment I hear one of those new songs by Ozzy on the Boneyard, I switch immediately to Rewind or Nation lol.

I will also mention that The Ultimate Sin is very underrated and should get a lot more recognition.  Shot in the Dark  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fighting just to fight dudes. I do love alot of Steve Vai but he could never play that ( in his prime ).

OK , 30 plus years later people are starting to FINALLY play to this level. There was no youtube back then. Lets see the little oriental girls play this half drunk in a club at 2 am. Or an improvised jam . Patterns and not what they mean or how they were derived.

As much as I try to be nice on here I seem to get F'd with more. Steve is a good player , I like when he is in a band. His solo stuff is weak , my opinion since 1986. F it , he is not Becker or Yngwie ( skinny ) , or MacAlpine .

I think you just obviously prefer the shred stuff and that's cool mate.  Vai I guess never really focused on strict shredding but as a guitarist he is so much more.  He's just very unique.  He can shred pretty quick though. 

What about Satch?  He doesn't quite have the speed of those guys you mentioned.  Is he not strong either?  Not being sarcastic, genuine question.

Offline max_security

I think you just obviously prefer the shred stuff and that's cool mate.  Vai I guess never really focused on strict shredding but as a guitarist he is so much more.  He's just very unique.  He can shred pretty quick though.

I am a fan of Steve Vai. Everything in your statement is correct. He is a musical genius , he can transpose pieces that are above his ability is how good he is.

He said that the most difficult job he ever had was learning the Alcatrazz songs from " No Parole ".

I'm a HUGE Billy Sheehan fan , and I have seen Vai and Sheehan on the G3 stuff . Those 2 should just stick together , there is just MAGIC there man.

But Steve Vai as a solo artist , ...there are a few tunes that I like . If you enjoy the whole thing I'm not changing the channel if we're hanging . And it's only my opinion and I'm not trying to influence anyone elses.  :metal

Offline max_security

The new Marty and Jason. It's all exposed now I guess.

https://youtu.be/Zz_Qu1hgkrw

Offline max_security

What about Satch?  He doesn't quite have the speed of those guys you mentioned.  Is he not strong either?  Not being sarcastic, genuine question.

His first album " Not Of This Earth " is just incredible , one of my favorites. He is a very musical person that album just hits me right. Everything after is like a " parody " of those songs. So my opinion ... he can do some fantastic things but he's holding back for some reason.

Those G3 concerts with him and Vai were fantastic. Satch puts that together , no one else would. He is a fantastic person for that. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

His first album " Not Of This Earth " is just incredible , one of my favorites. He is a very musical person that album just hits me right. Everything after is like a " parody " of those songs. So my opinion ... he can do some fantastic things but he's holding back for some reason.

Those G3 concerts with him and Vai were fantastic. Satch puts that together , no one else would. He is a fantastic person for that.

I think Not of This Earth and Surfing with the Alien are the best guitar instrumental albums

Offline max_security

I think Not of This Earth and Surfing with the Alien are the best guitar instrumental albums

I'm going to go with

Yngwie rising Force and MacAlpine Maximum Security. Rising force does have 2 vocal tunes , so if that disqualifies I'll go with Joey Taffola " Out Of The Sun ". Honerable mentions to Jason , Marty , and Vinnie Moore .

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm going to go with

Yngwie rising Force and MacAlpine Maximum Security. Rising force does have 2 vocal tunes , so if that disqualifies I'll go with Joey Taffola " Out Of The Sun ". Honerable mentions to Jason , Marty , and Vinnie Moore .

All of those are great too

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Great stuff. Let me add Power of Tens by Shawn Lane.

Offline max_security

Great stuff. Let me add Power of Tens by Shawn Lane.

See , I wasn't trying to go nuclear . Shawn Lane wasn't really " metal " though. Dude could play anything WITHOUT having watched a video.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Fair enough  :D

Offline Lowdz

I'm going to go with

All good choices. Vinnie Moore for me, Becker’s Perpetual Burn and for a change of pace, martyFriedman’s Scenes.

Offline max_security

I'm an old timer who stopped playing and listening to anything in 1993. All of my struggles and effort got left behind was how I felt ( still do really ). But I'm at peace with it , it's good to see people playing again.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not trying to have a go mate, I fully respect your opinions, that's why I asked, so don't tkae me the wrong way.  I agree what you are saying with Vai, I know for example the first part of the Jet to Jet solo, Vai taps it halfway through because he always said his picking speed was never at the level of Yngwie.  His style is different and doesn't have the shred mentality where you can hear every note he plays like Yngwie, TMac, Becker and Moore so I know what you mean, that's just not his style.  I guess though he never intended to be that style of player.  Another one I will mention for Vai is Alive in the Ultra World, that has some wonderful underrated compositions.

I was big on Vai and Satch when I was learning, Yngwie too.  I have though through the years, favoured the styles of Becker, Moore, TMac.  I love TMac's albums especially but always thought he was slightly sloppy live.  Yngwie has been a constant throughout.  I don't know what I would rate as my top guitar album, but I think it may be Perpetual Burn.  That is just one of a kind.  Edge of Insanity would be up there too, I favour that over Maximum Security.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Just saw that there are 8.6 million views for the Geico commercial on YouTube  featuring Ratt.  :metal :metal  :metal  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The end of the world is near.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That was a soft ball for you Tim lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
hair metal is coming back..........buy some shares in whoever supplies Joe Lynn Turner's rugs  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
   :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
hair metal is coming back..........buy some shares in whoever supplies Joe Lynn Turner's rugs  :metal

Only if I get my own rug for free.  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Been spinning the new Iron Savior I picked up a couple weeks ago.  I really like it.  More of the same, but cool songs.

Offline Lowdz

https://youtu.be/ReyDqJIxx5g

New Primal Fear. As cliched as it gets and the Halford impression just seems forced. Disappointed.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://youtu.be/ReyDqJIxx5g

New Primal Fear. As cliched as it gets and the Halford impression just seems forced. Disappointed.

Lol, what the fuck is this?  Surely they could do better than this, especially after the good run they have been on.  Will reserve judgement until we hear more but that could be their most uninspired, generic song ever.

Offline max_security

Man been a long week. I don't often get to crank it up in my house but no one is home this afternoon. I was in the mood for something from a better managed time so I chose ..... Queensryche " The Warning ".

1984 was a hell of a year for music and QR really added to that fact. I guess I got my drivers license that year , bought a little truck to haul my gear ( no more parents dropping me off at band rehearsal ). And my mind was always full of these fantastic tunes man.

The blind will stay
Not choosing to die
Not believing the visions I've seen

- Warning -

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
One of my all time favorite albums.