Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908304 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh boy, was I wrong.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol Im quite amazed, figured it would do well but not this well.

Offline Lowdz

Okay, Moving Pictures was actually a lot better running the whole way through.  I still am totally missing the love for RB.  I think that song being at number 2 always just didn't sit well with me in regards to the album and it's flow and I think caused my somewhat underwhelmed opinion.  I just don't find the song memeroable at all and there's not much in there I can say I really enjoy. 

TS and Limelight are fucking brilliant.  Just amazing songs, really.  Camera was cool but didn't hold my attention but I think if I gave it more attention it would be a grower.  YYZ is a wonderful instrumental piece.  Witch Hunt is very nice and something different and I loved Vital Signs.  That's one song I never gave any attention too but it's a wonderful song.

Based on its strengths, it's a top album.  It just feels so short, with 7 songs it feels there should be one more longer type tune.  I really want to get the fuss over RB, but I can't at this stage.

You surprise me Kade. MP is awesome. I love Red Barchetta. The story appealed to me as a kid into sci fi and I just love the song. However, Vital Signs (and the other reggae shit on Signals) is a big steaming turd not worthy to grace such a great album.

Offline Lowdz

I had no idea this song existed.

https://youtu.be/4ZrF76MuF0w

the bass and drum work...just...crazy.

I believe Frontiers have signed him up for an album with Alessandro. Whoops, wrong thread 😀

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Stumbled upon this tonight.

The epitome of classic hard rock and heavy metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcx3OjNMlu4

Very cool performance.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Okay, Moving Pictures was actually a lot better running the whole way through.  I still am totally missing the love for RB.  I think that song being at number 2 always just didn't sit well with me in regards to the album and it's flow and I think caused my somewhat underwhelmed opinion.  I just don't find the song memeroable at all and there's not much in there I can say I really enjoy. 

TS and Limelight are fucking brilliant.  Just amazing songs, really.  Camera was cool but didn't hold my attention but I think if I gave it more attention it would be a grower.  YYZ is a wonderful instrumental piece.  Witch Hunt is very nice and something different and I loved Vital Signs.  That's one song I never gave any attention too but it's a wonderful song.

Based on its strengths, it's a top album.  It just feels so short, with 7 songs it feels there should be one more longer type tune.  I really want to get the fuss over RB, but I can't at this stage.

You surprise me Kade. MP is awesome. I love Red Barchetta. The story appealed to me as a kid into sci fi and I just love the song. However, Vital Signs (and the other reggae shit on Signals) is a big steaming turd not worthy to grace such a great album.

haha, sorry to let you down Paul.  Funny our opinions here are the complete opposite.  Yeah, as I said it's a really good album and better than I remembered, I just have always preferred the couple of later albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I had no idea this song existed.

https://youtu.be/4ZrF76MuF0w

the bass and drum work...just...crazy.

I'm not sure why you posted this jazz fusion piece, but neverthelss, it was very good.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
There wasn’t anywhere else to post it. But when you think Gino Vanelli that’s NOT what comes to mind
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Stumbled upon this tonight.

The epitome of classic hard rock and heavy metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcx3OjNMlu4

Very cool performance.

:metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
There wasn’t anywhere else to post it. But when you think Gino Vanelli that’s NOT what comes to mind

Ah, that makes more sense.  Never heard of him.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It doesn't make any sense. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It doesn't make any sense. :lol

:lol

I'm guessing he's some 80's rock/aor type singer?  Could google him I guess.  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Sorry to hear about Neil Peart guys.  As you know I have minimal attachment to Rush but I know it'll have an impact on plenty of you blokes for whom Rush has been a huge part of your lives.   :'(

« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 05:02:33 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Sorry to hear about Neil Peart guys.  As you know I have minimal attachment to Rush but I know it'll have an impact on plenty of you blokes for whom Rush has been a huge part of your lives.

Rush was a very early influence on me, and their stuff up through Moving Pictures is some of my all time favorite music. But I've been relatively detached from them over the years. I've already spun Hemispheres and Fly By Night, but I'm not about to go on a discog run.

I go into a major Rush mode once every 12-18 months, and who knows, this may kick one of those off, but I'm not quite feeling that at the moment.

When I first saw and heard Dream Theater in 1992, I always said that this was the music Rush should be playing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I got into Rush late, and I think it was DTF that got me into them.  Had a big binge discovering all their music and as Tim, go back to them from time to time.  I wouldn't class them as a top 10 band, but considering my collection, having Rush and all their albums in there, really says something.  Whenever I need something fresh and different, Rush is there.

I guess I'm a little different as I didn't really dig a lot of their earlier stuff.  I much prefered Grace Under Pressure forward until Counterparts.  That's the Rush sound for me.  Neil passing away is absolutely tragic.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I would rate Pre Signals Rush as a Top 10 band easily. I was a metal teenager so their 80's stuff kind of turned me away. And frankly, I think they slept walked from 1991 on.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Thank you Neil

Rush is the best, what an amazing band. I think it’s safe to say many of us will be playing nothing but Rush this weekend

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I would rate Pre Signals Rush as a Top 10 band easily. I was a metal teenager so their 80's stuff kind of turned me away. And frankly, I think they slept walked from 1991 on.

I think it's great that they do have two distinct eras that people really can choose from.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It's kind of funny the random Rush talk we just had in regards to Moving Pictures.  I think the next albums in our classic hard rock 2020 discussions will be all pre Moving Pictures Rush.  I need to revisit some of these.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's kind of funny the random Rush talk we just had in regards to Moving Pictures.

Let's all make a pact right now...

...we will not be discussing any Iron Maiden album. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
*shakes hand*

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just out of interest Kade,  have you ever heard Rush on local radio in your life?

EDIT:  just listened to 2112 Pt 1 based on JJ's album post ("I'll try one last time........")  and I quite like it :lol - pretty heavy for the time.  I have sampled plenty of Rush (mostly 80's) and never got across the line -  either never found anything that was catchy enough or struggled with Geddy's voice, but there you go.  Perhaps I have found my era and I normally DON"T like 70's stuff as a rule.   ::)

The question above for Kade was because I don't think I have ever heard Rush on radio out here.  Perhaps if I had grown up hearing them on the radio .........
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 07:42:15 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, I think 2112, Hemispheres, and Permanent Waves, even A Farewell To Kings don't really have a lot in common with "70's music".

These are some of my favorite albums.

I basically became aware of Rush by hearing Tom Sawyer and Limelight on the radio.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
In Canada, I believe there is a 30% Canadian content quota on radio. It might not be that exact number but it’s close. Maybe Chad can confirm this for me. So basically every hour on Canadian rock radio you can expect to hear Rush, Hip, Loverboy, Triumph.

But seriously Rush is such an outstanding band and if their music clicks with you and you get Rush, it connects big time. Out of all the music I’ve heard, I’ve said it before, but the song “Subdivisions” is my all time favorite song.

I’ve heard it many times before where someone has said to me that they don’t like Rush based on Geddys voice or they don’t get the band. I tell them that I am a mega fan but don’t question their opinion. But inside I always say to myself that it’s unfortunate you don’t get this amazing band.

Rush f@&$ing Rules :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I think they will be a band where many times I won't be able to get past Geddy's voice (and/or not enough "hooks") and others I will be alright , but that makes it hard to get through an album.  I don't mind Tom Sawyer but yeah...........that's one of the songs where I was a bit all over the place and a good representation of why I never fully got into Rush.  I like the main hook , found Geddy's vocals a bit irritating in some parts and not others , thought the guitar solo was pretty random/meaningless .

Just listened to Limelight too - liked most of it too.  There might be hope for me yet Jay  :lol.   A couple of tiny parts in there brought me back to WDADU - perhaps that's weird, perhaps not.

I see most of the guys I grew up with in melodic rock circles are spinning Time Stand Still  :lol   - they certainly didn't stand still with their sound.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 08:07:01 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Jason, who in the hell is Hip? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

I think he meant The Tragically Hip.

In fact, I searched their wiki, their nickname was also The Hip.  "The Tragically Hip, often referred to simply as The Hip, were a Canadian rock band from Kingston, Ontario, consisting of vocalist Gord Downie, guitarist Paul Langlois, guitarist Rob Baker (known as Bobby Baker until 1994), bassist Gord Sinclair, and drummer Johnny Fay."

Offline gazinwales

Just out of interest Kade,  have you ever heard Rush on local radio in your life?

EDIT:  just listened to 2112 Pt 1 based on JJ's album post ("I'll try one last time........")  and I quite like it :lol - pretty heavy for the time.  I have sampled plenty of Rush (mostly 80's) and never got across the line -  either never found anything that was catchy enough or struggled with Geddy's voice, but there you go.  Perhaps I have found my era and I normally DON"T like 70's stuff as a rule.   ::)

The question above for Kade was because I don't think I have ever heard Rush on radio out here.  Perhaps if I had grown up hearing them on the radio .........

I do remember hearing Rush on 2MMM in Sydney during the 1980's. I think they were playing 'Time Stand Still' quite a bit and I am sure they also played 'The Pass' a few times.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Righto Gaz.............just checked out The Pass and don't believe I have heard it in my life - quite liked it actually for what it is and prefer Geddy in his lower register.   Time Stand Still might be the one in terms of radio play here in Melbourne - sounds vaguely familiar.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

I’m not really a fan but probably the biggest band in the history of Canadian music

Within Canada I should add.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 08:36:40 PM by jjrock88 »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

No, never.  Never heard of them until DTF I believe.  Never met anyone mention them and I worked in a music store when I was younger and knew a few drummers.

Never heard them mentioned in the media or anything here.  A shame if you ask me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Righto Gaz.............just checked out The Pass and don't believe I have heard it in my life - quite liked it actually for what it is and prefer Geddy in his lower register.   Time Stand Still might be the one in terms of radio play here in Melbourne - sounds vaguely familiar.

The Pass is wonderful.  I guess I don't really count because I'm a bit younger.  I started listening to the radio as soon as I could remember, 1990 or so onwards but yeah even the 80's for only 2 songs to get minimal airplay is crazy.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

No, never.  Never heard of them until DTF I believe.  Never met anyone mention them and I worked in a music store when I was younger and knew a few drummers.

Never heard them mentioned in the media or anything here.  A shame if you ask me.

That’s mind boggling.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I just checked and Rush has never played in Australia either.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I just checked and Rush has never played in Australia either.

I thought so.  Another big shame.