Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896493 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!
« Reply #10990 on: September 23, 2019, 12:26:27 PM »
That Arch/Matheos is not easy to get into and I understand why people don't like it. But for me it's one of the best records this year so far. And I really like Arch's unconventional singing and melodies, it's everything but it isn't generic, and that's a big plus for me.

And that Wrath Of The Universe riff is killer.  :metal :metal :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

Re: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!
« Reply #10991 on: September 27, 2019, 01:56:51 PM »
Chad, what did you think of the Sinner album?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #10992 on: September 27, 2019, 02:44:26 PM »
Nothing wrong with it.

Nothing right with it either. 

Fairly unremarkable.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #10993 on: September 28, 2019, 11:00:41 AM »
Nothing wrong with it.

Nothing right with it either. 

Fairly unremarkable.

I thought it was pretty good, but a bit all over the place stylistically.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10994 on: September 29, 2019, 04:58:27 PM »
I don't want to depreciate in the Opeth Thread, but WTF with their new album? I could only make it through the first half. What suckage!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10995 on: September 29, 2019, 05:02:12 PM »
I don't want to depreciate in the Opeth Thread, but WTF with their new album? I could only make it through the first half. What suckage!

I've lost interest in them since Heritage.  I've tried to like them but I can't.  Will try the new album some time but I'm in no rush.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10996 on: September 29, 2019, 05:03:17 PM »
Never been an Opeth fan. Nice to know I'm not missing anything.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10997 on: September 29, 2019, 05:11:12 PM »

Musically they were at least interesting even if the harsh vocals were too much. What this new album is is I have no f'n idea what they were trying to accomplish. They should rename the band Emoth.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10998 on: September 29, 2019, 08:11:00 PM »
New Tygers..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRBZ9V6tPCU&feature=youtu.be

For what it is I think it's pretty solid .

I will check out the album as the sound is very good but thinking of it as a different band.  One original member standing out of site strumming his guitar probably says it all.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 08:36:28 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10999 on: September 29, 2019, 08:24:28 PM »
I saw this a few days ago Brent. I liked Tygers way back in the day. This song, on its own, is more than solid. I like this guy's voice.

I'll definitely be checking the album out when it's released.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11000 on: September 29, 2019, 10:19:36 PM »

Lol.  We already knew that.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11001 on: September 29, 2019, 10:42:45 PM »
nice!  I thought the last Tygers album was really good.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #11002 on: September 30, 2019, 12:34:05 AM »

I've lost interest in them since Heritage.  I've tried to like them but I can't.  Will try the new album some time but I'm in no rush.

Me too, the new one sounds like the previous dull sounding three releases.
Played it on Spotify, I had to force myself to listen to nearly all of it.
I have no desire to ever hear it again.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11003 on: September 30, 2019, 04:53:32 AM »

Me too, the new one sounds like the previous dull sounding three releases.
Played it on Spotify, I had to force myself to listen to nearly all of it.
I have no desire to ever hear it again.

I did sample one of the songs a few weeks back and it was very odd.  I think I will have this same reaction but you never know.

Offline Lowdz

I went to see Graham Bonnet/Alcatrazz last night, in a music bar in Blackpool. Graham looks like a little old man, not helped by sitting on a stool the whole gig because of his bad back, but that voice is still there for the most part.

I was right in front of Joe Stump. What a player. Had s bit of a chat with him afterwards about his gear (guitar gear before Chad gets excited 😆) Nice bloke. Bass player was tidy too, for an old bird.
Set list was made up of the first Alcatrazz stuff, songs from Assault Attack, Impelliteri and a Blackthorne track, and Night Games. A good night.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I went to see Graham Bonnet/Alcatrazz last night, in a music bar in Blackpool. Graham looks like a little old man, not helped by sitting on a stool the whole gig because of his bad back, but that voice is still there for the most part.

I was right in front of Joe Stump. What a player. Had s bit of a chat with him afterwards about his gear (guitar gear before Chad gets excited 😆) Nice bloke. Bass player was tidy too, for an old bird.
Set list was made up of the first Alcatrazz stuff, songs from Assault Attack, Impelliteri and a Blackthorne track, and Night Games. A good night.

I'll bet he's got a hell of a rack! 

wait, wut?

Offline Lowdz

I'll bet he's got a hell of a rack! 

wait, wut?

😀😀😀

Just pedals actually. He had an Yngwie Malmsteen pedal which certainly worked. He sounded just like him 😱.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Funny you mention that - before I read your last post I was about to say that Joe Stump is a player I have sitting in my "Malmsteen wannabe - no melody" box............a bit like Yngwie himself these days :lol

If you were to name one album with Joe Stump on it that you love Paul............what is it?
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Although I’ve been aware of him and have checked him out before, all I have is the Dark Lord Rises album. He plays like Yngwie, but without the sense of melody early Yngwie had. I’m impressed by anyone that can play sweep arpeggios anyway 😀. He nailed the Yngwie and Impelliteri solos note for note.

I can’t listen to music today because I’m deaf from last night 😳

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I've heard nothing from Joe Stump.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Jeez, I'm really enjoying this new Hammerfall.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Stryper's leader Michael Sweet returns with a formidable album which oozes heaviness and brings along a cast of heavy-hitters. Read everything about it below!

https://www.facebook.com/SonicPerspectives/posts/2733985033278671

Offline Lowdz

Well let me help you with that.

https://youtu.be/6IcBG9LS-pY

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Dude has chops, but nothing new in there at all.

Offline Lowdz

Dude has chops, but nothing new in there at all.

Oh no. His whole thing is as an Yngwie clone, but he does it well. I’m impressed by anyone who can play arpeggios 😀

Offline Ruba

Ruba, their last half dozen albums are excellent. They feature Bernie Shaw on vocals. They are all quite solid rock to hard rock. Cool Hammond organ sound throughout most of it.

Here is a link to their 2018 album Living The Dream.
https://open.spotify.com/album/7qAAUNhhrA9Bjv6tCw5X3W?si=s6hl07l-RyeRjbm4ELT9RQ

Yep, Living the Dream rocks. :metal It's hard to believe it's almost 50 years from their debut, 'cause they still sound so virile.

I listened to Demons and Wizards too and liked it, although early 70s rock isn't really my thing. Checked a couple of songs from Abominog and it seems very promising. I can already tell they're really underrated.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Welp.  I'm speechless.

Quote from: Pretty Maids FB Page
We are sorry to announce these bad news

Our brother Ronnie has recently been diagnosed with lung cancer…

This means we will have to cancel all shows announced until the end of January 2020 and we’re all sorry for the inconvenience that might bring.
Right now all plans are on hold, so for the moment we can’t say much more due to the current situation but we will keep you updated.

ALL focus is now on Ronnie's health and undergoing treatment.
We hope for your love and understanding.
/Ken, Rene, Chris and Allan

Ronnies open letter:

STATEMENT

It’s scary how your world can be turned upside down in a couple of weeks.

I went to my doctor for a routine check complaining about some back pains in mid-August.
I then went through numerous scans, bronchoscopy, biopsies etc. and spent a lot of time waiting for answers in uncertainty.
And so finally three weeks ago I found myself diagnosed with lung cancer.

Now this has by all means been a shock to me, my family and those close to me since it came totally unexpected without any typical symptoms and everything just happened and developed so fast lately.

I’m already in treatment and underwent surgery two weeks ago, then spend some 10 days in hospital with pneumonia as a consequence apparently linked to the surgery.

According to the medical staff my prospects are good considering it’s lung cancer. However, I will have to undertake further treatment the next couple of months to be on the safe side.

This means that I unfortunately will have to step back from most musical activities concerts etc. for an indefinite period of time.

I’m going into this with a positive mindset and with the continuing love and support from my family and friends I’m determined to battle this disease the best I can -God willing!

LOVE ❤️
Ronnie Atkins

I hope his path can be as positive and (seemingly successful) as Tony Mac's.

Fuck cancer.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh fuck.  Just awful.  Fingers crossed for Ronnie.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That blows.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just had a listen to the new Michael Schenker fest album. I haven't bought it, didn't even know it was out, but I read a couple of negative reviews on Amazon about it. Expecting the worst, I gave it a spin on Spotify.

The two lead tracks released so far have been absolutely putrid. Shoehorning 4 singers in one song is so clunky and, well, cringey.

No surprise, but the two best tracks are the ones with Doogie White. This combination has worked well. Doogie's tracks were the strongest on the first SchenkerFest album Resurrection.

The Bonnet tracks were ok, and the McAuley tracks were pretty weak. And as much as I love the old albums with Gary Barden, please just retire.

Oddly, classic Schenker vocalist Ronnie Romero somehow gets a song. Why??

Schenker's problem is the same one he's had for so long. He's just not a great songwriter. He's a great guitarist, and his tone and solos sound so great. In fact, the best track is the instrumental Ascension. He needs to be way more selfish in his songwriting.

The two Temple Of Rock albums with Doogie are really good, and renewed my faith, but these cheesy Schenker Fest things are bumming me out.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Oddly, classic Schenker vocalist Ronnie Romero somehow gets a song. Why??

Cuz he's fuckin awesome??  That might actually make me want to listen to this.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Schenker Fest sounds like a Gary Larsen cartoon with a bunch of decrepit old men sitting around bragging about their goiters.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Sorry to hear about Ronnie - fingers crossed.  Pretty Maids have always been a bit of a favourite of mine.

Another death - Morten Stützer (57 yo) from one of my favourite obscure thrash bands Artillery.  And dare I say it another heavy smoker.  :-[

Wrote some fine thrash riffs in his time.

R.I.P. 

PS  and Larry Jungstrom of 38 Special.   They just keep coming................I suppose it's not going to get much better.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 10:35:32 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Blast from the past............I wish I was old enough in the mid 80's and lived someplace that bands toured  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqnt_YWl6rY&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3bZpST1a0IgdCaVpY3pWiwFfa9XWzd1eUkfORRtUHccPlB8zQw9zzirLk

I haven't seen this vid before -  anyone around here attend the US (Us not U.S.A.) Festival ??

By the way I have one of those shirts that EVH has on.   A very politically incorrect design by DLR that has a radio with a hand reaching out of it pulling at a young girl's undies .  And I bet nobody was outraged about it  :lol

The 80's  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au