Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896498 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
If you want a new King Diamond album and a chocolate cake, you fucking have it

:lol  Oh don't worry, when I get my hands on this new KD, I'll be enjoying it with the most decadent ice cream and cake I can find.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Ruba

E: ... Diamond Head was what I was thinking of...  :facepalm:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
If you want a new King Diamond album and a chocolate cake, you fucking have it

:lol  Oh don't worry, when I get my hands on this new KD, I'll be enjoying it with the most decadent ice cream and cake I can find.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fucking brilliant.  :metal :hefdaddy

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Did anyone check out the new Timo Tolkki?  It's suprisingly really really good.  I'm impressed.  It's no Stratovarius, but there is a lot of good melodies and it's not anywhere near as generic as the crap he's been putting out.  He's put a lot of thought in this one and good to hear Zac Stevens here, he works well on a couple of these tracks.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I just checked it out and the only singer I’ve heard of is Zac, but I will definitely listen to some samples

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Did anyone check out the new Timo Tolkki?  It's suprisingly really really good.  I'm impressed.  It's no Stratovarius, but there is a lot of good melodies and it's not anywhere near as generic as the crap he's been putting out.
I wasn't even going to bother giving that a listen, but now I guess I have to.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Did anyone check out the new Timo Tolkki?  It's suprisingly really really good.  I'm impressed.  It's no Stratovarius, but there is a lot of good melodies and it's not anywhere near as generic as the crap he's been putting out.
I wasn't even going to bother giving that a listen, but now I guess I have to.

ditto
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I went in with no expectations obviously which helped.  I wanted to hate it, but I can't.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I went in with no expectations obviously which helped.  I wanted to hate it, but I can't.

First half is really, really good.  2nd half is hit and miss.  He did a smart thing by putting the best track right up front.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ErHaO

I really dig it, to be honest. It was reviewing well so decided to give it a shot.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hear My Call is possibly the best post Strato song he's written.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I just ran through the new Hammerfall on Stotify. Now I know for some of you, Hammerfall blows is redundant, but I have always liked them, even though they have faded terribly over the second half of their career.

This new album SUCKS AND BLOWS! Holy shit. WTF?? I'm sitting this one out. Even the promising moments in the second half are killed  by the stupid fucking lyrics.  Who writes this shit? It's like they borrowed the Sucky Band Name Roulette Wheel from Frontiers and reprogrammed it to the Stupidest Fucking Dumb Ass Metal Lyrics Wheel.

Dammit!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Joacim Cans, leave this fucking band now!! You are way too good to front this shit. And Oskar? WTF? You are NOT Taylor Swift with a mustache. Stop dying your hair. You look like a douche.

I have a hard time deciding if Stefan Elmgren is crying his eyes out or laughing his ass off.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Reported to bosky for being negative again  :lol

Can't say that I have ever paid a huge amount of attention to Hammerfall - I did have the new one down to listen to but maybe not :lol

Just checked - all I have is Glory To The Brave , Legacy Of Kings and Built To Last.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

He won't find me in here. :lol

Can't say that I have ever paid a huge amount of attention to Hammerfall - I did have the new one down to listen to but maybe not :lol

Just checked - all I have is Glory To The Brave , Legacy Of Kings and Built To Last.

Their first six albums are generally excellent. Legacy Of Kings made my Top 50 when I did that 7 years ago. I's take the 20 best songs from those albums and put them up against almost anybody's.

But they have sucked for a while now, and what I just heard tonight is so disappointing. And it pissed me off. :lol

Offline gazinwales

I've always thought that Hammerfall were a very lucky average band to achieve the success they have done.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So I just ran through the new Hammerfall on Stotify. Now I know for some of you, Hammerfall blows is redundant, but I have always liked them, even though they have faded terribly over the second half of their career.

This new album SUCKS AND BLOWS! Holy shit. WTF?? I'm sitting this one out. Even the promising moments in the second half are killed  by the stupid fucking lyrics.  Who writes this shit? It's like they borrowed the Sucky Band Name Roulette Wheel from Frontiers and reprogrammed it to the Stupidest Fucking Dumb Ass Metal Lyrics Wheel.

Dammit!

Joacim Cans, leave this fucking band now!! You are way too good to front this shit. And Oskar? WTF? You are NOT Taylor Swift with a mustache. Stop dying your hair. You look like a douche.

I have a hard time deciding if Stefan Elmgren is crying his eyes out or laughing his ass off.

:rollin

I lost interest after Crimson Thunder but while the next 3 were somewhat decent, Infected was a wonderful breath of fresh air.  Great album that one, but the next 2 were terrible.  Built to Last is their worst, holy shit that was bad.  My asshole sounds better than that record.  I'll try and have a listen to this one just to see if I can add some entertainment like you have here Tim.

Offline Lowdz

I’ve got Renegade but found it to be very boring. What I’ve sampled over the years hasn’t been anything better than that. Pretty much everything I hate about power metal in one.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hammerfall and the first 3 albums were one of my very first power metal bands.  Those 3 are classics IMO.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Renegade's production is a bit soft, but there are a bunch of great tunes on that.

I've always thought that Hammerfall were a very lucky average band to achieve the success they have done.

Hammerfall and the first 3 albums were one of my very first power metal bands.  Those 3 are classics IMO.

I remember we were headed on a trip to Disney in the very late 90's. The 90's were a blur for me, musically, so I decided to buy an album by someone new for the trip. I sampled Sym X, Stratovarius, and Hammerfall (Heeding The Call). Heeding The Call reminded me of 80's Helloween. I bought the album and loved it. They were playing the style of music I loved, blending Helloween, Dio, Accept, Saxon, and even Dokken. They really hit the spot for me. Now this was before Saxon and Accept rejuvenated their careers. I feel like after Elmgren left they have gotten so stale.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Elmgren isn't the best guitarist in the world but he was a massive part of their earlier sound that they lost.  I think he was indeed a big loss to the band on a whole.  I think Oscar took a lot of the credit for what the band were doing undeservingly.  I have nothing to base that on though.  He just seems like a phony.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
A phony? This guy??

He looks like he dressed up as Taylor Swift in bondage for Halloween.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin

always thought he looked a bit funny

They are opening for Sabaton in November so I'll be seeing them, again.  They opened for Delain a few years ago.  Actually enjoyed them more than I expected to.  I never really liked them much, thought they were just too generic power metal (and well, still do think that) but at least thought they sounded and performed well live.  I'll check out their newer stuff as the show gets closer, see what they are playing live.

Hammerfall - Dethrone and Defy Live in NYC 2017

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Joacim sounds great on that video. What a suck song.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
A phony? This guy??

He looks like he dressed up as Taylor Swift in bondage for Halloween.

Shit guitarist too.

Offline Lowdz

I went to see Geoff Tate last night at a pub in Blackpool. He played half of Rage For Order, a big chunk of Mjndcrime and a few others. I turned around from the bar and came face to face with Geoff and shook his hand. I was too stunned to say anything other than hello 😀.

I can confirm that his voice is in good order but he ducked the big note at the start of Take Hold. It was a great show but I’m suffering this morning. I’m too old to survive the pit these days but I had a good go.

Next gig is Alcatrazz at the same place next month.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I went to see Geoff Tate last night at a pub in Blackpool. He played half of Rage For Order, a big chunk of Mjndcrime and a few others. I turned around from the bar and came face to face with Geoff and shook his hand. I was too stunned to say anything other than hello 😀.

I can confirm that his voice is in good order but he ducked the big note at the start of Take Hold. It was a great show but I’m suffering this morning. I’m too old to survive the pit these days but I had a good go.

Next gig is Alcatrazz at the same place next month.

Considering this is one of the greatest metal vocal performances of all time, I would understand him dodging it.  I'm guessing he would have skipped the higher one later in the song too?  Don't blame him really.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Trying to catch up with some newer stuff over the last week.

Lord: Even though I love these guys to bits, I've found their last couple have been real growers, and this is no exception.  It seems to take a while to really get to the core of the songs.  A lot of melodies don't show themselves until repeated listens.  There's a lot of nice variety in this one.  Pretty much more of the same, but yeah, I'd say a bit more varied than their last couple.  Needs more listens but some rippers on here.  Lord Tim is a wonderful shredder, but jeez, Mark is a fucking beast on the axe.  What an underrated and original shredder.

Crazy Lixx:  Just listened to this one today in the car.  More of the same, but I've liked their last couple.  Was a bit 'meh' after the first few but I hung in there and the second half had some really tasty 80's AOR melodic rock.  I'll listen to this one again. 

Arch/Matheos:  Not sure if many of you guys are into the Arch stuff, but jeez this sounds good.  Wonderful crystal clear production and mixing.  Jim's coming up with some great riffs lately and it shows again here.  The first album was hard to get the head around as Arch is a strange one and this one is more of the same but it does have a few more melodies that are a bit more catchy than what I found on the first one.  Jim does some wonderful leads on here too, his tone is amazing.  Frank shreds on the last two songs too which is a great contrast.  Will listen again.

Spirits of Fire:  Again, only listened to this one once, but this was damn interesting.  For the lineup, it's an album you do not expect at all.  Sounds like Caffery is the main songwriter but I have no idea, a lot of this stuff sounds like him.  The first couple of songs I was ready to turn it off but I think it was the extended instrumental section in the title track that pricked my ears.  The melodies from Tim aren't that great but instrumentally, there is some cool shit.  Saying that, as the album went on, I got a very original feel from the songs.  Some of the extended section are just really cool and unexpected.  I'll have to listen again.

Timo Tolkki:  Already said what I think, and that it's quite wondeful.  I LOVE both the Zak songs and everything in between is really enjoyable.  I didn't think Timo had something like this in him.  It's not Strato level but it's a very good album.

Eternity's End:  Have no idea who they are but listening because of Tim.  I literally only just finished a listen to this, and there is a lot of shredding going on here, which is a GOOD thing.  All in all just seems like a fucking ripper truthfully.  Gonna listen in the car tomorrow at a high volume.  I can't even pinpoint what it reminds me of.  It sounds like speed inspired power metal but kind of original too.  Cool vocals.

EDIT:  Actually, hearing Piet on that bonus track, on a whole it does sound like older Iron Savior but more technical.

Still to come (maybe): Teramaze, First Signal, Hardline, Tobny Hitchcock.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Eternity's End:  Have no idea who they are but listening because of Tim.  I literally only just finished a listen to this, and there is a lot of shredding going on here, which is a GOOD thing.  All in all just seems like a fucking ripper truthfully.  Gonna listen in the car tomorrow at a high volume.  I can't even pinpoint what it reminds me of.  It sounds like speed inspired power metal but kind of original too.  Cool vocals.

The singer is Iuri Sanson, who used to sing in Hibria. Hibria's first two albums are amazing. The guy is a beast. The chorus to the title track is  :metal vocally.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Ian Parry was the vocalist on the first EE album a couple years back. Serviceable, but not wow-worthy. I still have to get to this release.

Prepare to be raging if you listen to First Signal and Toby. Those were both tripe. I enjoyed Hardline though.

I recommend replacing those two with Restless Spirits (s/t) and Diamond Head (The Coffin Train)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Arch/Matheos:  Not sure if many of you guys are into the Arch stuff, but jeez this sounds good.  Wonderful crystal clear production and mixing.  Jim's coming up with some great riffs lately and it shows again here.  The first album was hard to get the head around as Arch is a strange one and this one is more of the same but it does have a few more melodies that are a bit more catchy than what I found on the first one.  Jim does some wonderful leads on here too, his tone is amazing.  Frank shreds on the last two songs too which is a great contrast.  Will listen again.

As I said pretty much everywhere on DTF, this album is the shit. It's actually curious, I liked it so much I searched for some interviews and I found one with John where he says Jim recorded all the leads as demos and planned to have guest guitarists to actually play them and John said "no, no, Jim, I think your leads are amazing, let's keep them on the album" and Jim agreed. And on the other hand, John sang his lines a bit safer for the demos and when they meet up next time and John would add some crazy stuff to the vocals Jim would say "hey, no, John, how about we keep the previous vocal line, I liked it a lot" and so John restrained himself a bit on the album. I'd say both of those things really show throughout the record and possibly are the reason this album is my favourite of the year by far right now.

I think I'm around 30 or 35 spins into Winter Ethereal right now and I still love it. It's been a while since I've been obsessed with an album like that.

Also kinda curious about Tolkki right now I guess. Wasn't going to bother with it, may check it out now I guess.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
That Arch/Matheos record is really good, although as of now I think Sympathetic Resonance is a little bit better. But then Winter Ethereal is still growing on me.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

The singer is Iuri Sanson, who used to sing in Hibria. Hibria's first two albums are amazing. The guy is a beast. The chorus to the title track is  :metal vocally.

Don't know them.  The name is familiar so not sure if I've been sent any of their songs in my roulettes, but will have to check them out.

Got through a few songs of the EE in the car and it's quite a ripper.  Some tasty shred all over this.

Ian Parry was the vocalist on the first EE album a couple years back. Serviceable, but not wow-worthy. I still have to get to this release.

Prepare to be raging if you listen to First Signal and Toby. Those were both tripe. I enjoyed Hardline though.

I recommend replacing those two with Restless Spirits (s/t) and Diamond Head (The Coffin Train)

Yeah mate, saving those til the end.  Actually, the Restless Spirits is one I wanted to check but forgot about it.  Interesting you and Paul seemed to like the Hardline.  What I heard was average but will get onto this one next.