Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896631 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Amen, Brother!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Intervention required to save this from dropping on to page 2!

Quote from: Vanden Plas FB feed
BREAKING NEWS: Prog metallers Vanden Plas Official will release their ninth studio album, "The Ghost Xperiment - Awakening" on October 11th. First single, pre-orders and more info coming soon.

It's about damn time!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
This'll be a first day purchase for me. Shame it's not a month earlier, could've bought a copy in the Netherlands on release day.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Yup... Oct 11 is gonna be a nice 1-2 punch with this and The Ferrymen.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
That's Magnus Karlsson's thing, right? I will probably check it out too.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
That's Magnus Karlsson's thing, right? I will probably check it out too.

Indeedy

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yup... Oct 11 is gonna be a nice 1-2 punch with this and The Ferrymen.

Why, is there anything interesting being released?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
All over this one.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Went to the shops today and saw the Sweet Oblivion at JB.  Decided to pick it up and won't listen until probably Monday but will post thoughts.

I think this is the first full length Tate effort I will listen to since FU.  Hoping I haven't purchased another drink coaster.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Went to the shops today and saw the Sweet Oblivion at JB.  Decided to pick it up and won't listen until probably Monday but will post thoughts.

I think this is the first full length Tate effort I will listen to since FU.  Hoping I haven't purchased another drink coaster.

Probably the best thing he has done since Promised Land but that's not saying much.   I liked it but it had that feel of a "project" and , for me at least , the songwriting was solid but not very memorable for the most part.   Unfortunately after a few listens I am getting the same from Teramaze - it's well below Her Halo imho.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Probably the best thing he has done since Promised Land but that's not saying much.   I liked it but it had that feel of a "project" and , for me at least , the songwriting was solid but not very memorable for the most part.   Unfortunately after a few listens I am getting the same from Teramaze - it's well below Her Halo imho.

Thought I might have seen the Teramaze too but not to be.  I'll try and have a listen next week.

I know the Tate is a project thing as it's Frontiers.  Not expecting much as I'm not that keen on Simones songwriting but gis playing should offer some enjoyment.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah - his songwriting can be a bit samey but he's done a pretty good job.   It's certainly worth a listen and I will come back to it at some point , but (unlike most albums I really rate) I wasn't itching to have another listen straight away.

My fave on the Teramaze is actually the last song - Depopulate - so don't give up before then if you're struggling.............it's the closest to something off Her Halo.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Agree wholeheartedly with both your comments re Teramaze, Brent.  Plus, I like Nathan's voice better than Brett's.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Agree wholeheartedly with both your comments re Teramaze, Brent.  Plus, I like Nathan's voice better than Brett's.

:D  - and I agree on Nathan.  To me Brett is a good singer but there's nothing special about his voice.  After listening to the album I really don't know what they were on about re Nathan not being suited to the music.  I was expecting quite a departure in style (much heavier) but I don't see any great reason for the change.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

I did like those three songs that were released from this album.  Curious to know what you think of the rest.

Because we all know when it comes to Tate reviews, nobody writes them better than the wolfster.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I have never been overly impressed with anything from Black Star Riders (Ricky Warwick/Scott Gorham + a revolving door) but what I have heard from the album due in September sounds like a step up.  Might be worth watching for fans of Lizzy style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VVvp_jnUX8

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I posted some thoughts in the Tate thread about Sweet Oblivion.  I really quite like it.  It's a Frontiers factory churned cash grab but I like it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have never been overly impressed with anything from Black Star Riders (Ricky Warwick/Scott Gorham + a revolving door) but what I have heard from the album due in September sounds like a step up.  Might be worth watching for fans of Lizzy style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VVvp_jnUX8

I didn't love that. Thin Lizzy is one of my favorite bands, but I've never really given the BSR a chance. The (very) few tunes I've heard are really just OK. Still, I think it's great that Scott Gorham is still kicking.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah...............can't say I am in love with it either (chorus a bit weak?) but as an advance track I get the feeling that they might be about to deliver something a bit more "solid" and harder edged :)   I had pretty much written them off but will check out the album.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Ben will love that :lol  - big Trump "fan"

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I love Arena of Pleasure from The Crimson Idol.

Blackie sounding great but timing is a little off  :lol

https://youtu.be/fPGu4VN7bLA?t=2160

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yikes

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow! FUCK THAT! What an absolute piece of shit.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Blackie what are you doing lad.  Total miming now, jeez bud that makes a diehard fan disappointed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Still influenced by KISS's current tour as well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Is this common in the rock metal thing with singers completely miming?  I know Coverdale's been doing it or at least some form of major backing.  Just seems a bit......not a metal thing to do.

Offline gazinwales

Blackie what are you doing lad.  Total miming now, jeez bud that makes a diehard fan disappointed.

Hate to break this you mate, but's he's been miming live for years.
I saw him back in 2007 headlining Tuska Festival in Helsinki and we could clearly see that Blackie was faking it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Why would anyone go see that? (Not directed at you gaz!)

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I skipped through the video before and after and it seems like Blackie is singing most of what I watched.  Was it just Arena of Pleasure?  When he was singing he sounded like I would expect him to sound at this point in his career, not great but passable.  Seems strange.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Hate to break this you mate, but's he's been miming live for years.
I saw him back in 2007 headlining Tuska Festival in Helsinki and we could clearly see that Blackie was faking it.

I knew he's had backings for years but I dunno, thought it was just here and there and the odd backing vocals.  I could tell when I saw them on the Crimson Idol tour there was a fair bit of this but didn't see anything that blatant.  I guess he has to be really good at it and this was a slip up.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'd be more hyped if they were still playing ProgPower, but still I had just got their previous release and really enjoyed it, so I am interested still.