Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896519 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I didn't think Coverdale sounded good on the new album, but the songs I heard were pretty solid albeit sounds just like Whitesnake pretty much.  However, I thought the new songs were really good live.  I recorded one of them last week at their show, I was surprised with how good Coverdale sounded live that night.  I thought he was terrible last year when I saw them.

Whitesnake - Hey You (You Make Me Rock) LIVE @ Starland Ballroom Sayreville NJ

Offline Lowdz

I wonder why the complacency with the album covers the last ten years. On their older albums they had some pretty cool covers.

Brent does 1987 rank in the high 90’s on your scoring? I would pretty much give it a 10/10; I can’t really think of anything wrong with it at all.

I used to have a back patch with the Lovehunter cover. Got me a kiss on the cheek at school from the hottest rock chick a few years older than me. I’ll always thank Whitesnake for that 😀

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I wonder why the complacency with the album covers the last ten years. On their older albums they had some pretty cool covers.

Brent does 1987 rank in the high 90’s on your scoring? I would pretty much give it a 10/10; I can’t really think of anything wrong with it at all.

I used to have a back patch with the Lovehunter cover. Got me a kiss on the cheek at school from the hottest rock chick a few years older than me. I’ll always thank Whitesnake for that

Just noticed Coverdale can't wink? haha.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I finally got through the Whitesnake .  I reckon it's a bit one dimensional and clearly a bit more towards the hair metal style than the Aldrich albums.  Having said that it's pretty solid from start to finish and sounds pretty good , which is a decent effort across 15 tracks (incl. bonus tracks).  I tend to agree with a few opinions I have read re Sands of Time being the standout track.

If I had to give a points rating - high 70's , maybe 80.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Here's the thing on the new 'Snake. I think I've just outgrown what they do. I love the older stuff. But when listening to the new one, I just...I just don't really feel it. It's not a bad record at all, but not sure what else to say.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I didn't think Coverdale sounded good on the new album, but the songs I heard were pretty solid albeit sounds just like Whitesnake pretty much.  However, I thought the new songs were really good live.  I recorded one of them last week at their show, I was surprised with how good Coverdale sounded live that night.  I thought he was terrible last year when I saw them.

Whitesnake - Hey You (You Make Me Rock) LIVE @ Starland Ballroom Sayreville NJ

Was he really singing?  Did he appear to have help?   Serious questions; some of the vocals in the choruses on the recent material lend themselves to "help", and while I think he is a WAY better singer than people credit him for (listen to the live acoustic stuff from Tokyo; his voice is liquid gold on that material) I also don't think he's above a little background support. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
He has a lot of background vocal support.  The whole band is really good actually and I don't mind the backing vocals supporting the main lines at times.  He definitely sings plenty but it's certainly noticeable that a lot of main vocal parts come from the whole band and not him at times though. 

Offline Lowdz

And that’s fine. You don’t want to pay good money to hear awful singing. I’m fine withthe band helping out.

I’d rather hear the Whitesnake than the Arch Matheos that everyone seems to be dreaming over. I found it boring and bland. Last one was so much better

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
When I saw Whitesnake back in...has to be seven or eight years ago (it was when Priest was doing the anniversary of British Steel tour), I saw a local festival with Whitesnake, Priest, and Tesla. First and only time seeing Whitesnake. Coverdale has exactly the same issue live that Joe Elliott of Def Leppard does. His lower voice is there, and he can do falsetto to cover the fact his natural high voice is gone, but his mid-range is non-existent. It was weird. Obviously, in-studio, they figure it out, because he can sing the same line a gazillion times to get it. But live, that's the drawback of Coverdale these days. His mid-range, and primary vocal, is shot. So they lower the key so he can sing it lower, and have the other guys fill it all in with the mid-range and highs. Lepp's been doing it for 20 years now.

Is what it is. I have no desire to see Whitesnake or Lepp again, but both put on great shows, despite the singer limitations.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't know, Joe's voice isn't as good on the highs either, but he sounds fantastic overall from the 4 times I've seen them in the last few years.  I'm shocked how he holds up so well because DL tours so extensively too.  If you are holding back on these bands because of the lead singer, I think you are just holding yourself back.  Joe is still great live (as is all of DL) and I won't comment too much on Whitesnake.  I really enjoyed their recent show but last year I did not think they were quite as good.  Never seen a bad Def Leppard show.

Here's my video from the last time I saw DL

Def Leppard - When Love and Hate Collide @ Prudential Center Newark NJ 6/15/18

The chorus of this song is sung high, but it's definitely a bit lower than the album, but he sounds great if you ask me.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Cram - not sure if the "holding back on seeing" comment was directed at me, or just generally, but I've seen both. Enjoyed both shows. But the vocals were rough. Lepp's were better, because the guys in the band are good singers and helped Joe really well. Whitesnake, at least back then, it was a little more obvious things were rough.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yea, that was meant for you, but that was awhile ago so I thinkif you are still holding back on DL because of the vocals from a show in the past, maybe you should take a look again.  I've read online from others who feel he sounds better than a long long time. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I tend to agree with Cram re Joe Elliott - for his age he is doing an amazing job (when I have seen him..............most recently last year).  I found his low-mid range fine and he uses a falsetto on the highs where he used to power on.

Coverdale was pretty much shot when I saw him early 90's and has been getting worse and worse - he actually employs musicians these days as much for their vocals as their instrumental prowess.  They still manage to put on a decent show as he seems to have the vocal sharing (and huge reverb) down to an artform.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 05:20:17 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Is Michel Luppe still in Whitesnake. That guy is amazing vocally.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Perfect example of Coverdale covering his ass  ;D   And yes, as far as I know he is still in the band.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
They should have Coverdale play the wimpy keyboard parts and just have Luppi sing the whole show. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Reb Beach I thought was initially brought in because of his vocals as he did fuck all soloing when Doug was there.  Seems like he's become Dave's main right hand man, or at least more evenly split with Joel.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Reb Beach I thought was initially brought in because of his vocals as he did fuck all soloing when Doug was there.  Seems like he's become Dave's main right hand man, or at least more evenly split with Joel.

He does the band introductions with Luppe and calls Beach "our fearless band leader" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ZwHiBg1Tg

and you guys are probably 100% right that their vocal abilities play a role in being in this band. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Reb's worked hard to get that title.  When he and Doug joined, Doug was clearly the favourite by a mile so he's done well.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
The thing with Reb (as all of you know, I'm a big fan of Winger) is that while he can sing, he's not a lead singer. Nowhere close. I mean, he's not Jerry Cantrell (who was more of a harmony singer until AiC needed that counterpoint), or even Chris DeGarmo. Reb's simply a decent singer. He'd probably even admit to that.

As for his role in Whitesnake, I think Joel will ultimately be the guy for Coverdale. I think there's a reason Reb has been in the band so long, and is just now getting a couple (just a few) writing credits on a record. Ultimately, he has certainly earned that "Musical Director" title for his longevity and ability to get everyone on the same page. But I think Joel and David will be the band's primary writing unit if they ever do another record. Reb's more of a collaborator, and I think he perhaps doesn't gel, writing-wise, with David as he does with Kip Winger. Just a guess.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Anyone know what the writing credits look like on the new album?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I bought a "ticket to rock" bundle at my local medium sized concert hall and it came with a ticket to like 6 rock concerts...

So my ticket sold today for Yngwie Malmsteen meaning my ticket to rock bundle has ended.  I really havent heard anything positive about this guy and the new songs I heard weren't my thing, so figured let me get my money back if possible.  So that bundle cost $200 flat.

I went to:

Whitesnake
Skid Row
Tesla
Warrant

Sold:

Yngwie Malmsteen
Dokken

Missed/Unsold:

Dark Sky Choir

After stubhub fees, I got 64 dollars paid for the two tickets sold, meaning I saw the four concerts for $136.  I don't think it turned out to be a bad deal after all.  I enjoyed all of the shows for the most part.  Whitesnake was easily the best.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I went to:

Whitesnake
Skid Row
Tesla
Warrant

I saw the four concerts for $136.  I don't think it turned out to be a bad deal after all.  I enjoyed all of the shows for the most part.  Whitesnake was easily the best.

So you paid $34 for each show. I wouldn't have paid $34 to see those bands in 1989, never mind now. The exception is Tesla of course. Worth every penny.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
The problem was Whitesnake was 60 alone.  But sure if you compare to 30 years ago... I do have to say though, concerts have gotten very expensive, I've noticed a big rise this year.  Although on the other hand, I paid $25 at the door last weekend for Devin Townsend and Avatar and that was by far more production value than maybe all four of the above concerts combined and much less people than Whitesnake or Tesla.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Marc, concerts are ridiculously expensive now. Going back 30 years to 1989, looking at my list, I went to 17 concerts that year. Most of them major arena shows. No way I could do that now.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Marc, concerts are ridiculously expensive now. Going back 30 years to 1989, looking at my list, I went to 17 concerts that year. Most of them major arena shows. No way I could do that now.

It's a VERY expensive habit I must say.  I'd say it's worth it for me, but I don't have kids.  I may have to cut back a bit though given my living situation got a bit more expensive, but I may just have to get scrappier. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

It's a VERY expensive habit I must say.  I'd say it's worth it for me, but I don't have kids.  I may have to cut back a bit though given my living situation got a bit more expensive, but I may just have to get scrappier.

You can draw a direct line of my concert frequency, or lack thereof, with my getting remarried.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Been doing some roulette/podcast listening finally.  Here's what's been spinning;

Black Fate - Between Vision and Lies - Solid.  I have no issue with the Kamelot influences here, it's done pretty well.  Nothing really mindblowing and probably not something that will have lasting effect but happy to listen again.  Enjoyable.

Damnations Day - A World Awakens - The first thing I notice about these guys is the high quality sound.  Everything about these guys is top class and it's amazing a little band from Melbourne produces an album of this sound and quality.  They really have an Alter Bridge feel to them but everything here was very yenjoyable and definitely a band I'll be getting into more. 

Sorcerer - The Crowning of the Fire King - Now this smokes.  I talked about the high quality pro sound and performances on Damnations Day, this is no different.  How are these guys not any more well known.  The performances and songwriting and just everything about this album is top notch.  I thought during that it might suffer from no faster songs but surprisingly with the quality, it doesn't. A perfect cross between Tony Martin era Sabbath and Candlemass IMO. The closer is amazing.  Great album, wicked band.  I like that they don't have to detune heavily to get that doomy sound.  It's all done in songwriting and delivery, like Candlemass and Sabbath I guess.  I will also add the soloing here is all very tasteful.  Can see why this topped Brent's 2017 list.

Pantommind - Searching for Eternity - I don't know if it's because I listened to this after Sorcerer but I only got a few songs through.  Pretty standard somewhat forgettable prog metal.

Rivers of Nihil - Where Owls Know My Name - One of those albums where you can't recall a thing afterwards but promising.  Had some nice moments and really like the vocals.  I'll listen to this again.

Icon - Night of the Crime - Really good melodic rock.  Nothing flash but very enjoyable.  The Holy Diver rip was funny and although I'll pretend the last song doesn't exist.

Elegy - Labyrinth of Dreams - Listened to this before but great band.  Atrue underrated gem here Brent.  Nice shred.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Funny, the second spin of the Damnations Day was nowhere near as good as the first.

The Sorcerer however, I recommend everyone to check it out, wonderful.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Well, regarding DD, I think you're daft.

I'll re-listen to that Sorcerer album though, I don't recall much about it from the podcast.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Rivers of Nihil - Where Owls Know My Name - One of those albums where you can't recall a thing afterwards but promising.  Had some nice moments and really like the vocals.  I'll listen to this again.

I've never listened to this album or band but I saw it mentioned here and there and didn't think it was hard rock/metal, I kinda imagined it being more like singer-songwriter acoustic stuff. Now I'm intrigued.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
This changing of your avatars always throws me off the track. Why is Kloppo posting here? Oh wait, it's Evermind. Why does a russian have an avatar of a german soccer coach, who's working in England?

Look at jingle, he doesn't even change back from his christmas avatar.  That's the continuity I need. :laugh:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Well I've kept Harry Redknapp avatar for six years, so I guess now is as good time as any to change that. Starting the new, Klopp era I guess.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
This changing of your avatars always throws me off the track. Why is Kloppo posting here? Oh wait, it's Evermind. Why does a russian have an avatar of a german soccer coach, who's working in England?

Look at jingle, he doesn't even change back from his christmas avatar.  That's the continuity I need. :laugh:

Glad to be of service  ;D.  Changing avatar's is bad enough - the odd times that someone convinces bosk to let them change their username REALLY throws me for a loop.  For a few days, I was wondering who the hell Cyril was.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
No shit. I'm glad I've caught Parama in plug right after the name change so I wasn't quite caught that off-guard as I could've been.

I feel the avatar change is appropriate right now though. Hoping for another six peaceful years on DTF.