Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896571 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
On a side note I had been car shopping the last couple of weeks and I came to notice that it seems like 98% of new cars no longer have a CD player in it.

I’m sure most people don’t care, but most of us in this thread would get annoyed with that.

That’s ok, I’m just now full time Boneyard and Hair Nation!  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Now that I think about it, it's been a while since I've seen one sold with a cassette player too!  :neverusethis:

I reckon I have the last model on Planet Earth to feature a tape deck - a 2008 Lexus RX 350

Why am I *not* surprised.  Do you still have some Maxell XLII's to drop in there?  Or were you more of a TDK guy?

TDK and Ampex :)

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Must be an Aussie brand ... never heard of it 'round here.

I went thru my cassette library at least 10 years ago, got digital copies of every song I didn't already have on CD/digital, and then tossed them.  2nd biggest regret of my life.  I wish I'd kept them for nostalgia purposes alone.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Not Aussie.............maybe just not well known in Canada.

http://vintagecassettes.com/oem/ampex.htm
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Must be an Aussie brand ... never heard of it 'round here.

I went thru my cassette library at least 10 years ago, got digital copies of every song I didn't already have on CD/digital, and then tossed them.  2nd biggest regret of my life.  I wish I'd kept them for nostalgia purposes alone.

I sold a lot of old CDs and cassettes at a garage sale my parents had when I was a kid.  Got like 20 bucks for my collection that I didn't want anymore.  Included a lot of stuff I actually really like today.  Definitely regret that and my dad like quadruple checked if I was sure I wanted to sell those.

I never had a huge cassette collection, CDs were already a thing when I started listening to music in a meaningful way in 4th grade, but I had some and no longer have any.  I especially wish I had my own mixtapes from recording off the radio.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
As a parent, if my kids ever want to do/sell something like that, *I* plan to buy it off them, and pack it away to give to them when they get their head on straight.

I sold a box of comics (like, a comic-box - those long rectangle ones) when I was 17 for $40.  I had (what is now) some really rare and valuable comics in there.  They were all in mint condition in their own sleeves... impeccable..   :facepalm:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
I sold off a bunch of CDs here years ago that I regret. I re-bought most of them used, but some were gems I'll never see again (Cleaning Out the Closet being one of them). Comics...those I have kept. Cards -- man, don't get me started. And I sold off a lot of toys/action figures that I shouldn't have. I've learned. But I have to tell you, storage is a bitch for all of it. I was literally sitting here writing out a to-do list, and added "Garage - FML" on it for this weekend.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I just remember all my mixed tapes that I used to play in my old LeBaron. I knew those tapes inside and out and I even knew what song at what spot would be on side A when a song from side B is playing.

Also tried to win over some ladies with the mix tapes. Didn’t tend to work unfortunately

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
And Kade, keep whatever car you have for as long as you can. If you try and get a new one with CD player, it’s not likely to happen. You’ll be upset.

But most should have a usb to play your iPod but if you want cds, your options for a car is limited.

But then again if we are basing a new car purchase based on it it has a CD player or not I’m pretty sure we would be considered next level loser in society. I did bring it up with one car dealer and he just gave me a weird look.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think I wouldn't mind having a CD player in my car, but I just use my phone anyway and having the built in blu tooth in my newish car, it just feels like I'd never go back to CDs anyway and now there is less clutter in my car.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I did bring it up with one car dealer and he just gave me a weird look.

I hope you backed him into the turnbuckle and chest slapped him 3 or 7 times.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I did bring it up with one car dealer and he just gave me a weird look.

I hope you backed him into the turnbuckle and chest slapped him 3 or 7 times.

Didn’t think about that. I just hit him with brass knuckles and said for him to take his non-CD player car and shove it up his ass. Darn, I should have chopped him too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I guarantee that Papa Flairs Used Cars all have cd players in them.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
They probably still have cassette decks in them..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
A buddy of mine recently had a conversation with Sandi Saraya from the band Saraya. Looks like Sandi and Tony Rey are making new Saraya music. She talks about the band's history, what she's been up to, etc. Check it out at www.focusonmetal.net

This is gold for Saraya fans. Sandi does not do interviews at all really. She's really honest and down-to-earth. All signs point toward new music from them over the next year or so. She's really excited about it, and can still bring it vocally.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Lowdz

I don’t miss CDs cluttering up the car. I use usbs in mine.

I got rid of a lot of stuff I wish I’d kept but not my lips, cassettes and cds. Couldn’t part with them. Although I may as well have because they’re all inaccessible in the attic 😀

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
On a side note I had been car shopping the last couple of weeks and I came to notice that it seems like 98% of new cars no longer have a CD player in it.

I’m sure most people don’t care, but most of us in this thread would get annoyed with that.

That’s ok, I’m just now full time Boneyard and Hair Nation!  :metal :metal :metal :metal

How the fuck do you play your music then?

Bluetooth or there is generally a USB connection...somewhere.

I was being sarcastic.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
And Kade, keep whatever car you have for as long as you can. If you try and get a new one with CD player, it’s not likely to happen. You’ll be upset.

But most should have a usb to play your iPod but if you want cds, your options for a car is limited.

But then again if we are basing a new car purchase based on it it has a CD player or not I’m pretty sure we would be considered next level loser in society. I did bring it up with one car dealer and he just gave me a weird look.

Yeah even though I was being sarcastic, I use USB's a lot now though.  Although I still like the option and I don't know, cd's blasting through the car speakers IMO does sound better and clearer than digital files.  I guess that's a luxury these days.

Was looking at a new car in the next couple of years so this is good to keep in mind Jason.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Honestly, I can't wait to get a car where I can use an aux input or a usb. I feel like I would listen to so much more music and it would  eliminate a giant ass pile of CD all over my van.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I have an usb drive too and can connect my iphone with the car stereo. And while that is cool, sometimes I want to listen to that one special record and that's probably not on my phone or the usb drive, because my music collection is just too big. And then I'm glad I still have that cd player.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 05:07:25 AM by Kwyjibo »
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

I have to say I’m loving the new Whitesnake. Went in with no expectations after the singles but it’s great. Cov is the weak link but nowhere near as bad as I feared. Love the track Sands of Time. Has a Blackmore feel to it.
Colour me surprised

Is it just me or has every Whitesnake album since 1987 had a variation of the same cover..? The snakeskin background with the seal on top.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I gave it a spin on spotify, it's better than I expected but I'm not sure if I really need this record. Coverdale's voice is shot and you especially hear it when he goes for the high notes. Some cool songs, a lot of generic Whitesnake and as always some stupid I love you/I want you lyrics. But I agree, Sands Of Time is a really great song.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I've liked what I've heard from the new Whitesnake on Hair Nation.  It all sounds like old school WS to me.

Offline Lowdz

Played it again in the car this evening and still liked it. The song Heart Of Stone is classic Whitesnake  and I would put it on a best of album. Best Whitesnake song since Slip Of The Tongue.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
OK, thanks jerks! ;D

I cannot believe you made attempt a listen to the new Whitesnake album.

It blows! I seriously couldn't make it through the third song.

This has no soul and no..well...it has nothing.

Coverdale sounds like ass. I mean, no disrespect, the guy is 90, right? So fucking generic.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 08:05:55 PM by TAC »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Tim you can stick with your Children of Bodom while Paul and myself listen to our Whitesnake  ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Interesting :lol   Guess I had better take a listen .  I was in the "can't be bothered" camp after the first single but it seems to be getting good reviews here and elsewhere (death metal heads aside  :D ) and so I will get onto it.

re the album cover - I think it's a shocker and that's from someone who would rank 1987 as one of my all time favourites.   The rehashed cover design is getting very stale (Cover-stale) and the graphics are not sharp at all.   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I wonder why the complacency with the album covers the last ten years. On their older albums they had some pretty cool covers.

Brent does 1987 rank in the high 90’s on your scoring? I would pretty much give it a 10/10; I can’t really think of anything wrong with it at all.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I wonder why the complacency with the album covers the last ten years. On their older albums they had some pretty cool covers.

Brent does 1987 rank in the high 90’s on your scoring? I would pretty much give it a 10/10; I can’t really think of anything wrong with it at all.

1987 came in at No 9 on my DTF Top 50 .................so yeah I would say high 90's.  The only reason I would scrape off a little is that Children of The Night was a song I always considered to be a bit below the standard of the rest of the album.  Just felt a bit "filler-ish" but that's relative to a bunch of amazing songs.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

1987 great album musically and production, but ugh those awful Coverdale lyrics kill it for me.
Back in the day I didn't mind them so much, as it was the era for cock rock lyrics, but as I have got older they haven't aged well at all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Since I'd put on a Children of Bodom cd over a Whitesnake album at the moment I guess I better leave.  ;D

I'm in the 'couldn't be fucked' camp, like most things lately really but might have to give it a spin.  Tim's review isn't encouraging however.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I’ll still pass on the new whitesnake though

And absolutely pass on the new children of bodom