Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896930 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

It’s the Kiske effect. Plus the new album isn’t all that great.

I don't know, I think its America.  Looks like they had plenty of big sold out shows in Europe.

I'd think Geoff Tate is a bigger name in America than Kiske though.  Actually debating about seeing Tate's Operation Mindcrime show locally if I feel like he sounds good live at the Avantasia show.

Tate sounded really good at the end of last year on the Mindcrime tour. I was really surprised. Band were really good too. I’m going to see his greatest hits tour in the summer.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Looks like Avantasia hasn't sold that well out here - flogging off tix for 25% off a week or so out.  Wanna fly down Kade?  :)

I wanted to try and go down but don't think I'd be able to get there unfortunately.  You going mate?

Nah - nobody I know down here would know who they are and I'm not flush with cash to say the least.  Would've found a way to go if you were coming down.

Damn mate, that would have been sweet.  being on a Tuesday really just doesn't work.  If it was a Sat or even Sun night, I'd be able to do it.

It’s the Kiske effect. Plus the new album isn’t all that great.

I agree.  I can't get into it at all, and that's unusual for me and Tobi.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

Anyone heard the new Enforcer? Really enjoyed it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Anyone heard the new Enforcer? Really enjoyed it.

I haven't Paul.   I was sure I had some Enforcer in my collection but can't find it at the moment.

Anyway.........based a review or two (which were not overly complimentary) it seems that on the new one they have gone a lot more melodic/catchy.  So perhaps an album that upsets the diehards and gets a few of us on board.  I have had similar experiences with bands like Kreator and Death Angel - I get on board when they go a bit softer and piss off many of the old school fans.  :)

I'll check it out.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The second half is better, but the first half especially is kind of icky.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I'll have to check the new Enforcer out. I enjoyed their set when they toured with Dark Tranquility. They're playing with Warbringer here in October. Hopefully I can make the show.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I have no idea who the fuck Enforcer are.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Hammerfall!

http://bravewords.com/news/hammerfall-to-release-dominion-album-in-august-we-make-sweden-rock-single-streaming

I don't hate it guys.

I do.  We Make Sweden Rock?  Thank fuck I don't live there then.  Give me a break.  Same generic shit and sounds as crap as their last one.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Anyone else let the new Hardline touch their ears yet?  I'm six tracks in, and very much enjoying it. I mean, it's not Double Eclipse or anything, but it's solid.  Not just solid solid, but VERY solid.  Certainly not the usual mailed-in we've come to expect from Frontiers.  I know I'm a Johnny G fanboi, but this is scratchin me where I itch.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I have no idea who the fuck Enforcer are.

:rollin

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Anyone else let the new Hardline touch their ears yet?  I'm six tracks in, and very much enjoying it. I mean, it's not Double Eclipse or anything, but it's solid.  Not just solid solid, but VERY solid.  Certainly not the usual mailed-in we've come to expect from Frontiers.  I know I'm a Johnny G fanboi, but this is scratchin me where I itch.

We need to have an official solid scale system to determine if we mean that its a courtesy solid or really solid.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
We need to have an official solid scale system to determine if we mean that its a courtesy solid or really solid.

That's some solid thinking.  :tup
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

GOLD.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Checked out another Brent podcast album in Savage Messiah's Hands of Fate.  This is really good.  Straightfoward metal but no bullshit with some great melodies and really tasting soloing.  Good length too as it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Might have to check that out.  They were PPUSA the year I went, and while enjoyable enough, they didn't wow me.  I'll check that 2017 release though.

Funny enough, I did a little B&B Podcast homework last night too. 

Dextress ... damn that was some fine old-school hair-metal sound.  Some nice throwbacks to the likes of Crue/Dr. Feelgood era stuff.
Cats in Space... only got a few songs in, but revisiting this morning.  More excellent stuff.

GIVE US PART 2 DAMMIT!!!  With the serious lack of good releases coming about, we need your help Obi-Brent-Kenobi.  You're our only hope.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Didn't realize Skid Row's current singer is the original singer from Dragonforce, ZP Theart.  Anyway, I didn't love their show, but thought his performance was good. I thought Rachel Bolan looked so uninterested.  ZP was the only one who looked like he was into it.  I had a good time, chilled with some maiden fans for the long wait before they even came on.  But for a 30th anniversary tour, looks like they are just going through the motions, even for a home environment.  The crowd was into it, but maybe also having seen the Winery Dogs the night before, this looked so low energy.

Skid Row - 18 and Life Live @ Starland Ballroom

so, my ticket to rock bundle is almost up.  Tonight is Whitesnake, the band I wanted to see the most in this bundle.  Yngwie is in a month but I may not go to that one, it's up in the air for now.

I'll know tomorrow how these bands ranked but so far I have it at:

Tesla
Skid Row
Warrant

I saw Whitesnake over the summer, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't as good as Tesla since David's voice wasn't very good, but I do like them more than any of the others on that list so I think tonight will likely be the funnest show.  Maybe the biggest crowd too, we wil see.  Of the above, that order also matches the turn out.  Warrant they had the curtains down for 1/5 of the venue too.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
I saw Sebastian Bach solo in 2000 and he was awesome.  Wild, animated, crazy, killer set of mostly Skid Row songs and decent vocals.  A year or so later, I saw Skid Row (with Johnny Solinger) open for Kiss' Farewell Tour. 

I can easily say that I'd much rather see Sebastian live than Skid Row, though at least ZP is a really great singer.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
I was the biggest Skid Row fan back in the day. Loved the self-titled as a kid, and then Slave to the Grind really hit the sweet spot with some of the more serious subjects and heavier music. And production issues aside, I loved Subhuman Race. I tried with Solinger, and the rest, but they don't sound as edgy at all.

So, having never seen Skid Row or Baz before, I just don't know. Baz can't sing AT ALL. I mean, he was so bad on his last tour, I had a cheap ticket (15 bucks or something) and I passed given it was mid-week and I saw he was playing some lame 65-minute set with four opening bands. I had a Skid Row ticket for this TINY (less than 100 people) club in midtown about 10 years ago, and passed on that too, for some reason.

When ZP was announced, I thought they made an improvement on Solinger and Harnell. The former was just too bland, and the latter too polished. I'm interested in seeing them, but if only ZP is into it, and the rest of the band is just standing there, forget it. Such a shame. I get that Baz let his voice go to shit, and he's not easy to work with. And I realize that in their 50s, Rachel, Snake, and Scotty just don't really care, they are getting paid. But that band had something really special that still touches a nerve, and you'd think they'd at least get in a room and talk about their issues.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Lowdz

Checked out another Brent podcast album in Savage Messiah's Hands of Fate.  This is really good.  Straightfoward metal but no bullshit with some great melodies and really tasting soloing.  Good length too as it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Did I not send this in your roulette? Sent it in someone’s 😀. Very good album.

Offline Lowdz

I liked that though. No one is doing the 80s very well at the moment. I felt the nostalgia 😀

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I liked that though. No one is doing the 80s very well at the moment. I felt the nostalgia 😀

"Nostalgia" for you is like a kidney stone for Tim.   :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol

That kind of nostalgia is.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Did I not send this in your roulette? Sent it in someone’s 😀. Very good album.

Nah mate, pretty sure you didn't.  It's indeed a ripper though.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
On a side note I had been car shopping the last couple of weeks and I came to notice that it seems like 98% of new cars no longer have a CD player in it.

I’m sure most people don’t care, but most of us in this thread would get annoyed with that.

That’s ok, I’m just now full time Boneyard and Hair Nation!  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Online Kwyjibo

On a side note I had been car shopping the last couple of weeks and I came to notice that it seems like 98% of new cars no longer have a CD player in it.

I’m sure most people don’t care, but most of us in this thread would get annoyed with that.

That’s ok, I’m just now full time Boneyard and Hair Nation!  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Yeah, I'm glad that the car I bought a year ago still has one.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

How the fuck do you play your music then?

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni

Bluetooth or there is generally a USB connection...somewhere.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I think Uncle Tim hacked Kade's account  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Metal Church played near my house last weekend.  Sadly, I didn't have the time to go, but it made me go back and do a bit of a deep dive into the first two records, and all of the Mike Howe albums.

I'm loving Blessed in Disguise, XI and the new one.  Also enjoying Hanging in the Balance so far, and I have two of the live albums as well.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Now that I think about it, it's been a while since I've seen one sold with a cassette player too!  :neverusethis:

Online Kwyjibo

Bluetooth or there is generally a USB connection...somewhere.

Yes, there is, and while the young hipsters are still ripping and encoding their latest mp3 stuff to the usb-drive, I'm already cruisin' and blasting my new cd on my old-fashioned cd player.  :biggrin: :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Now that I think about it, it's been a while since I've seen one sold with a cassette player too!  :neverusethis:

I reckon I have the last model on Planet Earth to feature a tape deck - a 2008 Lexus RX 350

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I reckon I have the last model on Planet Earth to feature a tape deck - a 2008 Lexus RX 350

Why am I *not* surprised.  Do you still have some Maxell XLII's to drop in there?  Or were you more of a TDK guy?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Metal Church played near my house last weekend.  Sadly, I didn't have the time to go, but it made me go back and do a bit of a deep dive into the first two records, and all of the Mike Howe albums.

I'm loving Blessed in Disguise, XI and the new one.  Also enjoying Hanging in the Balance so far, and I have two of the live albums as well.

:metal

Blessing In Disguise and Hanging In The Balance tied it for a spot in my DTF Top 50.   The later albums don't do it for my quite as much but for me Howe is the voice of Metal Church.  Never got into the earlier stuff quite as much.

www.theguitardojo.com.au