Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 910021 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought that new QR was the best of the three they have released so far from the new album.  Whitesnake was solid, not great but not terrible.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent ... you listen to the new Herman Frank yet?  'twas ok imo, nothing that came even close to wow'g me.

No I haven't Chad - I put him in the "know what I am going to get" basket.

Holy shit, new LORD!!  Get this into ya!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCV0vXFxUzA

Not their best/most original but I am a sucker for their thrashy riffs combined with huge melodies/shred solos............looking forward to it.

New Whitesnake. It’s got that Frontiers riff.
T not great but I enjoyed it more when I didn’t look at the screen. Can’t watch Coverdaleks grimacing when he sings.

https://youtu.be/hKMwGzOmtsE

Sounds like Slip of the Tongue era Whitesnake done by Winger. And classic (shit) Frontiers cheesy video.  Tim is gonna love this  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Sounds like Slip of the Tongue era Whitesnake done by Winger. And classic (shit) Frontiers cheesy video.  Tim is gonna love this  :metal

Oh God. that sounds dreadful!  :lol

Just downloaded the podcast. Holy shit Brent! 7 1/2 hours??
I'm on a staycation next week. Looking forward to it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Leatherwolf have just announced that Olivieri is out again (gone country apparently  :-\  ) and they have some mystery new singer. That leaves only Dean Roberts (drums) who has any real history with the band.

Anyway - a new demo with the new singer

https://clyp.it/pngyxw2y/
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Leatherwolf have just announced that Olivieri is out again (gone country apparently  :-\  ) and they have some mystery new singer. That leaves only Dean Roberts (drums) who has any real history with the band.

So Ripper, Ronnie Romero?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounds like an unknown to me Tim.   Speaking of which the Fifth Angel guy did a reasonable job at his first go - guitar solo was messy but the vocals (allowing for Youtube) sound okay and early reports from those that were there are positive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuTMN9xlT7U&t=5s

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Speaking of Romero, no surprise that Lords of Black replaced him with Diego Valdez.  Should at least sound[/i/ like a smooth transition.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

He did go country previously didn’t he?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The Fifth Angel singer sounds promising.

I know zero country songs but I do know that hot women tend to go to country concerts.  That's the only reason I can think that Olivieri quit Leatherwolf and went country.  Maybe a bit more money too lol.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
 :)

Just having a listen to an advance of the new DT.    FWIW my opinion is that Labrie's vocal melodies and effects are starting to get stale.  Much of it is reminiscent of DT12 , just not as good/original.  Standouts for me are Fall Into The Light (sounded much better second/third time around) and At Wit's End , which is probably the early favourite.   Untethered Angel was really DT by the numbers and I could say that about half the album.

On the whole I have been a fan of the more melodic/song focused writing they have been doing since Mangini arrived , but this sits below DT 12 and ADTOE at this stage.  Still far better than most of the post Awake era though for me.

Low 80s sorta deal.

PS I would get the version with Viper King if you can -  it has a nice bluesy groove and is a bit different to what you'd expect from DT.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:42:11 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
On the whole I have been a fan of the more melodic/song focused writing they have been doing since Mangini arrived , but this sits below DT 12 and ADTOE at this stage.  Still far better than most of the post Awake era though for me.

It's a lot like ADTOE, where I usually start listening to that at the third song. This album will likely be no different. As far as JLB, I loved the different vocal stylings they used, like in Room 137. It's a new wrinkle for DT. But it lacks that high end climactic voice. Not sure performancewise, JLB shines, but there's great variety in the vocals, and I like that.

I definitely rate it over DT12 though. In fact I busted out Illumination Theory last night, and confirmed it.

This album is groovy as hell, and has all sorts of crazy parts. I love the fact that JP isn't reliant on speed throughout. He has many tasty solos.

Standouts for me are Fall Into The Light (sounded much better second/third time around) and At Wit's End , which is probably the early favourite.   

I agree. In fact, they should've closed the album with At Wits End.

Offline Lowdz

:)

Just having a listen to an advance of the new DT.    FWIW my opinion is that Labrie's vocal melodies and effects are starting to get stale.  Much of it is reminiscent of DT12 , just not as good/original.  Standouts for me are Fall Into The Light (sounded much better second/third time around) and At Wit's End , which is probably the early favourite.   Untethered Angel was really DT by the numbers and I could say that about half the album.

Low 80s sorta deal.

PS I would get the version with Viper King if you can -  it has a nice bluesy groove and is a bit different to what you'd expect from DT.

Viper King is my favourite so far. I agree about the melodies and JLB. I have been a staunch defender of him but those parts are the weakness.
I’m starting to wonder if I’ve reached the limit of music I’m going to love. I’m really struggling to love anything at the moment and if DT can’t do it, there’s very little else out there that will.

Still, it’s early days.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I’m starting to wonder if I’ve reached the limit of music I’m going to love. I’m really struggling to love anything at the moment and if DT can’t do it, there’s very little else out there that will.

Sounds like you need an intervention.  And by intervention, I mean roulette.  Dude, you're not looking hard enough if you're struggling to love anything.  There's lots of wow-worthy stuff - both new that you don't know of, and older stuff that you missed catching.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Sounds like you need an intervention.  And by intervention, I mean roulette.   

That was me over the last couple of years. That's the point I decided to have a roulette with people that I had no interactions or anything in common with. One of the most "worth it" things I've ever done.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I know what Paul is feeling.  A roulette definitely would get some juices flowing again.  Paul, even if you don't pick up any new favourites from a roulette.  A good six weeks or so of listening to totally different music is really what could be on order.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Listened to the Starbreaker and I gotta say, I think the production is really above par.  Has that compressed sound like all modern day albums do, but you can still hear everything clearly and it just sounds really clear and beefy.  And Magnus' guitar tones are as JP would say, chocolate mud cake.

As a whole only one listen, but it feels like there has been some effort put into this but at the same time it sounds very rushed, I know that probably doesn't make sense.  Just sounds like a quick 9 songs put together and a relevant cover song.  I quite like what is here, but there should be more.  Should be something heavier and more epic and there is too many ballad type songs.  I found this interesting the lack of heavier numbers here.  Especially when the intro track is a ripper.  Tony although sounds amazing and for the little that's here, Magnus has done extremely well to get the best out of him and to write songs that showcase his voice.  I hope they do another project but sit down and move away from the Frontiers mold and do something a bit more inspired like the debut, because it's evident here it could still be in them.  Magnus' guitar work sounds like all one takers too.  You can tell he's getting complacent with his leads and improvising a lot of what is going on here.  Some parts of the solos are just very self indulgent and again you can tell these have been whipped up very quickly.  Saying all that, Pure Evil and How Many More Goodbyes are as good as anything Magnus has written IMO.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Very well put, Kade.  It's definitely a HUGE step up from Love's Dying Wish.  Outside a couple of good tracks, I thought that was a turd.  Dysphoria is really good start to finish, but lacks a certain something that made the debut so damned good.  Production is very good, I'll grant that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Very well put, Kade.  It's definitely a HUGE step up from Love's Dying Wish.  Outside a couple of good tracks, I thought that was a turd.  Dysphoria is really good start to finish, but lacks a certain something that made the debut so damned good.  Production is very good, I'll grant that.

I liked Love's Dying Wish because they were trying to do something a bit different.  I can see you not liking it, but it had a bit of charm for me.  Seems like Magnus is saving all his really good stuff for Primal Fear these days.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm also halfway through the new Evergrey.  Damn, this is some heavy shit here.  Almost to the point where every song is sounding very similar.  I'll even go as far that a lot of stuff going on here reminds me heavily of Korn.  I'll reserve judgement until I've had a full listen or two, I'm liking it, just surprised at the direction of it.  It really really annoys me though that Tom is soloing less and less.  Halfway through I think he only played one short solo on one song.  Henrik is good but his style is too abstract for too many songs, and needs Tom's sense of melody and phrasing to change things up a bit.  Tom is so much better than Henrik when it comes to guitar solos IMO.

Offline Lowdz

Sounds like you need an intervention.  And by intervention, I mean roulette.  Dude, you're not looking hard enough if you're struggling to love anything.  There's lots of wow-worthy stuff - both new that you don't know of, and older stuff that you missed catching.

Oh I’ve sampledplenty, andenjoyed some. Just not loving it.

See how I totally ignored the roulette bit? 😀

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
TAC: Putting things out of context like Stadler defends Trump.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
After having D/T fall into my lap, I'm finally starting the podcast.

Caught Ben's thanks.  That's cute!  :metal

7 Miles to Pittsburgh? :lol Wow that blew! I prefer 10 miles to Columbus! :lol
Appreciate the Alice. Not the song I would've picked, but cool nonetheless.
American Mafia was really cool. promptly Saved them on Spotify.

Just going to make it through the first 6 tonight...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 08:09:53 PM by TAC »

Offline Lowdz

So I found this track on YouTube and liked it, played the album on Spotify. All was going well until a cover of Da Doo Ron Ron came up. WTF 😱

Anyway, decent track with that Deep Purple vibe they love in Japan. Singer manages to hide the Japanese accent very well. Like a Japanese Dougie White.

https://youtu.be/wJiHX0k1SEE

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
First listen to the new DT. First impression: didn't mind the vocal melodies. But this is a guitar album, JR is mostly taking a back seat. And it's their heaviest since Train Of Thought.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
So I found this track on YouTube and liked it, played the album on Spotify. All was going well until a cover of Da Doo Ron Ron came up. WTF

Anyway, decent track with that Deep Purple vibe they love in Japan. Singer manages to hide the Japanese accent very well. Like a Japanese Dougie White.

https://youtu.be/wJiHX0k1SEE
Pretty good - that's about as powerful a Japanese vocalist as I have heard (not saying much :lol  )

First listen to the new DT. First impression: didn't mind the vocal melodies. But this is a guitar album, JR is mostly taking a back seat. And it's their heaviest since Train Of Thought.

I need to give it a few more listens to see if it grows to the point where I am feeling the huge wave of positivity being given in the DT threads. I am rapt that they have released an album that has so impressed most of the DT crowd but it'd be even better if I was really enjoying more than 3 or 4 songs.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Gonna go out and pick up a physical copy today.  Not expecting much to be honest from the first 3 songs.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
After The Astonishing, I'm definitely in no rush to go out and get the new Dream Theater.  But I'm curious to hear what you guys think of it and that might change my mind.  The new Queensryche on the other hand will be a first day purchase based on the three released tracks, which I've all liked, and the early positive reviews. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I gave 'er a spin on Spotify this morning.  I'd say it's a 100x better than The Astonishing, but 100 * 0 is still zero.  :rollin

It's good, worth going out and finding a physical copy - though I really don't know where I might find one.  I think my local mall still has an HMV, and there's a few Best Buy's around, but I thought they dropped carrying CDs??

Offline Lowdz

Gonna go out and pick up a physical copy today.  Not expecting much to be honest from the first 3 songs.

A few listens in now and it’s grown on me hugely. First three songs they released are probably the weakest. Still not a big fan of the opener - too reminiscent of On The Backs Of Angels, which I never liked, but everything else is quality.

My biggest criticism is that it’s too short, even with the awesome bonus track. That’s a great mix of Deep Purple and Sabbath

But I love The Astonishing so take all that with a pinch of salt 😀

Offline Lowdz

I gave 'er a spin on Spotify this morning.  I'd say it's a 100x better than The Astonishing, but 100 * 0 is still zero.  :rollin

It's good, worth going out and finding a physical copy - though I really don't know where I might find one.  I think my local mall still has an HMV, and there's a few Best Buy's around, but I thought they dropped carrying CDs??

Went to my local hmv this week to get the Avantasia but they didn’t have it. Can’t be bothered to go there again on the off chance they have the DT. Amazon it is.

Oh, but I did pick up the latest Stratovarius for next to nothing 😀

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Do you not have Sunrise Records?. Believe it or not a new Sunrise Records opened up at the mall nearest me a few months ago. Every time I go in there it’s fairly busy and that’s cool to see. Hopefully it stays open. Plus Walmart still sells physical copies here.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
No... no Sunrise anywhere near me.  Might be one downtown Toronto :dunno:

Forgot about Wal-mart... probably because that's where I bought the Astonishing, and I try to put EVERYTHING about that album out of my mind.   :lol   :'( :'(