Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 901903 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
They sell nuts right?  ;D   

A couple of albums coming across the BnB desk today -  new Evergrey and debut Skid Row remaster with live show bonus disc.  Will have to try and check em out today .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

A couple of albums coming across the BnB desk today -  new Evergrey and debut Skid Row remaster with live show bonus disc.  Will have to try and check em out today .

Interested in hearing your thoughts on the Evergrey Brent.

Interested in hearing your thoughts on the Starbreaker too whenever you get to hear it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That Skid Row reissue caught my attention but it’s oniy a digital release. I would have thought that album would have been popular enough to rerelease a physical copy

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That Skid Row reissue caught my attention but it’s oniy a digital release. I would have thought that album would have been popular enough to rerelease a physical copy

Probably just a sign of the times unfortunately mate.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Interested in hearing your thoughts on the Evergrey Brent.

Interested in hearing your thoughts on the Starbreaker too whenever you get to hear it.

Just listened to the Starbreaker Kade.

The Good:

- it's good to have Tony Harnell back singing this sort of stuff - always liked him and he nails it as usual.  Great performance.
- this is not a "by the numbers" release like so many these days.  Some time has clearly gone into it.
- there are no dud tracks
- there are lots of good/solid songs on it

The Bad

- there are lots of good/solid songs on it  :) ................and little to none that are an absolute home run IMHO.  Often I would be really expecting something great and was a bit let down by a chorus etc.......

So the songwriting is thoughtful but not quite there in most cases in terms of taking a song to "great."

On a raw song-by-song based rating it might be low end mid 80's but the overall quality would evelate it a few marks...........so let's say 87%.

Strong effort but a bit more work on choruses/vocal melodies could've made it even better.  Having said all that there are a few that could be growers , but that's my initial impression.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 11:16:42 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks Brent.  That seems like it would be a good summary.  Sort of how the Ferrymen was.  No real duds but no Allen/Lande style classics.  87 is a great score for you Brent.  I do find with a lot of Karlssons later stuff there are a few growers.  Initially songs do feel like there is something missing but do grow into good tracks.

I will say one of the songs released, 'How Many More Goodbyes' I think it's called I really really like so good signs for me with this album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Now the Evergrey.......

I get that it's a part of their melancholy sound these days but I must admit that their use of the muddy wall of sound production does wear me down a bit while listening to them.  At times it's like a wall of noise where you can detect the notes changing but would be hard pressed to distinguish the bass from the guitars from the keys.   I am sure that doesn't bother some (and I am getting used to it a bit these days, even with DT) but Evergrey are one of the worst offenders in this department.

Having said that it's not unlike the Starbreaker.  Undoubtedly a quality album - no cookie cutter stuff here , a unique vocalist and no duds, which is always refreshing these days.   The songwriting is quality without any one song really blowing me away.

Certain sections are fantastic:

- the midsection in A Silent Arc/End of Silence/Currents
- the outro in All I Have

But there wasn't a single song that had me cold from start to finish.   Again.......might be a few growers with repeat listens. 

Quality release overall - a couple of marks added for the originality in songwriting but a couple of marks subtracted for the production.

84%

I think most Evergrey fans will be quite satisfied.

Fave songs:  Currents, A Silent Arc

PS How Many More Goodbyes was one of my favorites from Starbreaker .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Solid reviews Brent!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
OK Brent, I'm about 10 songs in (actually up the the Zakk Wylde guy).

I don't remember the band names but ...

The two instrumentals were excellent, especially the first one.

A few of the songs were soso to begin with, but seemed to win me over, especially the first few tracks.

One of them was the Castle track. Big Sabbath vibe. The track didn't wow me at first, but it had a great arrangement.

Speaking of Castle, I hope Lost Domain makes the 2018 show.

You mentioned that "Here's the point where the quality improves..." or something like that, and then you proceeded to play the worst three songs so far! :lol

The song where you mentioned that it reminded you of Tad Morose, I thought the verses reminded me of Queensryche's The Mission.

Loving the podcast so far though. Can't wait to hear the rest.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Good to hear.

As far as the "worst 3 songs".............you may well agree with me if you hear the albums .  In the end we do the best we can but it's hard to represent an album with one song and , just as our tastes vary with albums , I may pick one of your least favourite tracks.

Re The Castle I agree that it's a grower .  Most of the albums I like these days fit into two categories -  they're from bands that are:

- providing thoughtful, quality songwriting that is a bit of a new take on what I've always liked

- something pretty damn familiar but done well enough that I can forgive the lack of originality.

The ratings are generally done after only a couple of listens and are mostly just based on my enjoyment at the time , but over time if I was to listen to everything  maybe a dozen times (as you would as a professional reviewer dealing with a little batch each week) I would expect the first category (bands like Castle) to climb the ladder and the more generic stuff to fall a bit.

Unfortunately given the quantity of material I sample/rate it's not possible to listen to each album as many times as I would like. 

In the end the rankings are fairly arbitrary in many cases (esp outside the top ten) as the ratings are all so close and its a means to an end............just sharing the music.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

As far as the "worst 3 songs".............you may well agree with me if you hear the albums .  In the end we do the best we can but it's hard to represent an album with one song and , just as our tastes vary with albums , I may pick one of your least favourite tracks.

It's all good. It just struck me as funny. Once I get the tracklist, I can revisit.

But honestly, Steel Panther ain't gonna make it in my book. :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
 :D  I am a sucker for those DLR screams

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
What did everyone think of Dream Child?.   Certainly the best of the Dio alumni bands but I think 8 or 9 tracks would've been perfect.  By Track 13 ( could be 12 depending on your version) the novelty is beginning to wear off and it's getting a bit samey.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What did everyone think of Dream Child?.

I didn't even bother with it. If you say it's worth a listen then I suppose I'll check it out. I think I sampled the first song released, but I made it through 30 seconds before deciding I had enough.
What's the point? Are we honoring Dio? Ripping off Dio?

I checked out the video of the new Matt Sorum/Geezer Butler band this morning. What a pile of shit.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah - I didn't even bother with the Butler thing.

I wouldn't say Dream Child is a "must listen" - just making the point it has a lot more going for it IMHO than the very "lacking balls" Last In Line band with Viv Campbell.   There's a couple of tracks on it that I really enjoyed where they broke out of the formula a little ,but there were also quite a few I consider filler.

I would rather listen to Dream Child than a couple of Dio's lesser albums . But yeah.........if the Dio impersonation gets on your nerves then it's an "avoid."

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh Brent, I forgot to mention...

Not a shot at the podcast, just a band discussion but... I cannot get into Caligula's Horse. I've checked them out, but they just don't do it. The song you played went on and on, but it did finally come to life with that great solo towards the end of the song. It just took so long to get to that point. Honestly, I was surprised to hear them on the podcast.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh Brent, I forgot to mention...

Not a shot at the podcast, just a band discussion but... I cannot get into Caligula's Horse. I've checked them out, but they just don't do it. The song you played went on and on, but it did finally come to life with that great solo towards the end of the song. It just took so long to get to that point. Honestly, I was surprised to hear them on the podcast.

So was i :)

As I said at some point in the podcast there were a heap of albums that could've been used in the bottom 20 or so and , where in doubt , I tended to favour something half original.  That style of modern prog grates on me sometimes and less on others and they probably got me on a good day .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I spent a night a few weeks back dropping the needle on bands like Caligula's Horse, Leprous, and Haken. I struck out. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I spent a night a few weeks back dropping the needle on bands like Caligula's Horse, Leprous, and Haken. I struck out. :lol

As a rule I agree -  I really struggle with them.  I rated Leprous - Bilateral 58%.   Track 9 is called Acquired Taste so they got that right :lol 

Even Pain Of Salvation - I have found a few tracks via my roulette that I really appreciated but on the whole I don't get the fuss. Haken too - yeah.   They can certainly play but the songwriting just doesn't gel with my taste.

One album I am about to check out is the new Riverside.  In the past I haven't had any real success with sampling them but the little I heard from their new one sounded quite listenable.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I've given Caligula's horse a few attempts, and cast them aside.  Can't find anything appealing about it.

I'm about to crack the Top 10 on the podcast, and will hold all but one thought until I'm done.  That thought is to remind everyone that Skid Row s/t is FUCKING AWESOME!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
  That thought is to remind everyone that Skid Row s/t is FUCKING AWESOME!

Now that you mention it I might check out that remaster and extra live show.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Me too.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well the remaster sounds awesome - just like the original  ;D   If there is any difference it's marginal - perhaps a micron taken out of the bass to brighten it up a bit.  I don't have super duper audiophile ears though - perhaps you will notice something Chad.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Unlikely.  Just clicked play on Big Guns.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
I picked it up when it was released (its only available digitally, I think, right?). I only really wanted the live show, as I think the original recording is fine (and I own the CD), and I also own the track "Frozen," since I have the 40 seasons Best of release. But all the tracks from the live show, by itself, were more expensive than buying the entire record, so I got the whole thing. I didn't bother downloading the album though, just the live show. WHich to me at least, was worth the purchase price. Pretty raw, but a good listen.

p.s. about the Vixen lead singer change. I had a ticket to see them this spring. After Janet left, I emailed the venue, and asked for a refund. Not because I don't wish Vixen well (because I wish them the best), but because I honestly was going to see Vixen with the lineup that was promoted. The VP of the venue, and the person who booked the band, is a big fan of Vixen himself, and not only did he refund me, he comped me the ticket (same exact front row seat), and said he can tell I was a big fan, and wants me to see it for myself that Vixen will be great moving forward.

That was really nice of him. I'm not a doubter -- I have seen footage of Lorraine fronting Vixen. She sounds great. I had no doubts about that. But I'm pretty bummed as this was my first time to see the band after having been a fan for 30 years now (I bought the first album on cassette in 1989, then Rev it Up on cassette, along with the Love is a Killer single, again on cassette), and now one of my favorite singers is no longer there. I'm going to go, because it is free, and a fairly easy drive. But man, I still am crushed Janet's no longer with them. I didn't really like  her solo album much, unfortunately. Fingers crossed she plays a small club date and plays mostly Vixen material. But who knows.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:58:03 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Couldn't tell a damned difference about the Skid Row Remaster.  I'm on the live gig now.  Lovin it.

Edit... except for the repeated use of feedback.  Sheesh!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 11:14:09 AM by jingle.boy »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Will check the podcast on the weekend Brent.

As for Skid Row, funnily I think I own the self titled album but couldn't tell you a thing about it.  If I do have it, I've never listened to it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I never bothered with Skid Row. Saw them open for both Bon Jovi and Aerosmith and I never thought anything of them.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Dunno if any of you guys do anything on Pledge Music but here's Danny Vaughn talking about why you shouldn't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Cj2pkayWcOY&fbclid=IwAR0nxzBttX0JyZZHFZYW_nT-EVRhZ31OYQkR8W9L4QeTvCDDLbyygPC3U0g&app=desktop

In short your money is being used to keep the lights on at a company in trouble and the artists aren't getting their funds.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:36:42 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The debut from Skid Row is definitely awesome but the follow up Slave to the Grind tops it for me. Just a kick ass metal album.

Kade check out that one

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Forecast temperature in my part of the world tomorrow..........46 degrees C = 115F

Overnight low tonight = 30c which would be a heatwave in London (during the day)  :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The debut from Skid Row is definitely awesome but the follow up Slave to the Grind tops it for me. Just a kick ass metal album.

Kade check out that one

I'm sure I've got one of those two mate.  Will search around and give what I have a spin.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Forecast temperature in my part of the world tomorrow..........46 degrees C = 115F

Overnight low tonight = 30c which would be a heatwave in London (during the day)  :)

I'm so glad we are missing all the heat you guys south are getting mate.  We've been consistent 33 average for weeks with more to come but fuck me 46 degrees is brutal.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I suppose at least I will not be playing tennis at the Australian Open  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I suppose at least I will not be playing tennis at the Australian Open  ;D

Completely irrelevant but man I hate tennis.

Summer has just ticked past the halfway point.  Come on Winter!!!