Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896693 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Dee Snider - Become The Storm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hljBz0zTEKQ

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal   This song is slamming and Dee sounds so awesome!  I wasn't too big on the first single, but this one is a killer song.

I really know next to nothing on Dee and his work, but that was very good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah - the guy from Helker on vocals.

Certainly sounds a lot more like Dio music than Last In Line (band)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah - the guy from Helker on vocals.

Oh is it?

I think I dropped the needle in a couple of spots on their last album. I may have to revisit it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Not a bad lineup. Will check that out when I get home.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

The verse is Last in Line but faster.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Saxon! :metal

So I decided to listen to Thunderbolt the other day. Upon its release, my first impressions were that, of their more recent releases, I consider it the weakest.

After many years of not paying attention, I did a blind buy of Lionheart, and ever since then, Saxon has had a great run of albums ever since.

Anyway, Thunderbolt did not really make any gains on my most recent listen. Perhaps it's been the amazing albums they've released recently, but this album is simply not up to snuff, in my eyes. I think Judas Priest's Firepower wipes the floor with Thunderbolt.

I rank the last 7 Saxon albums like this:

Sacrifice
Battering Ram
Call To Arms
The Inner Sanctum
Lionheart
Into The Labyrinth
Thunderbolt

Offline Lowdz

The verse is Last in Line but faster.

I like it though it reminds me of a Dynazty song off Sultans of Sin.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Saxon! :metal

So I decided to listen to Thunderbolt the other day. Upon its release, my first impressions were that, of their more recent releases, I consider it the weakest.

After many years of not paying attention, I did a blind buy of Lionheart, and ever since then, Saxon has had a great run of albums ever since.

Anyway, Thunderbolt did not really make any gains on my most recent listen. Perhaps it's been the amazing albums they've released recently, but this album is simply not up to snuff, in my eyes. I think Judas Priest's Firepower wipes the floor with Thunderbolt.

I rank the last 7 Saxon albums like this:

Sacrifice
Battering Ram
Call To Arms
The Inner Sanctum
Lionheart
Into The Labyrinth
Thunderbolt

Call to Arms is probably the weakest out of all of those for me.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Call to Arms is still an excellent album.

Hammer of the Gods and Afterburner are major ass kickers.

Saxon is just a band that really can do no wrong no matter what.  If I had to pick a weakest album, it would be tough to pick one.  Maybe Rock the Nations or the debut, but they are still good ones.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, Kade...you guys see this?
https://bravewords.com/news/bruce-dickinson-announces-2018-australian-speaking-tour

October
18 - Enmore Theatre - Sydney (All Ages)
19 - Palais Theatre - Melbourne (All Ages)
21 - Llewellyn Hall - ANU Canberra (All Ages)
23 - Civic Theatre - Newcastle (All Ages)
24 - Eatons Hill Hotel - Brisbane (All Ages)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I saw Bruce Dickinson and nearly shat myself, then I saw it was a speaking tour.  Looks mighty interesting still though.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I like the mentioning that it's for all ages, so he's probably not going to say fuck a lot.  :lol

If he came somewhere near me I would probably go, I thoroughly enjoyed his autobiography.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
No really my thing Tim.  I have seen some footage of his speaking tour and it seems to be mostly a bit of (iffy) stand up comedy while he reads passages from his book.  I'm just a casual Maiden fan so will likely pass.

There hasn't been much going on for a while and suddenly we have tours everywhere.  We have Primal Fear/Sinner,  Stryper , Scorps/Def Leppard and an Aussie metal fest thing (only $35) with bands like Damnations Day/Lord/Vanishing Point on the one bill in coming months -and I'm sure I forgot a couple.  I certainly won't make it to them all.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
No really my thing Tim.  I have seen some footage of his speaking tour and it seems to be mostly a bit of (iffy) stand up comedy while he reads passages from his book.  I'm just a casual Maiden fan so will likely pass.

There hasn't been much going on for a while and suddenly we have tours everywhere.  We have Primal Fear/Sinner,  Stryper , Scorps/Def Leppard and an Aussie metal fest thing (only $35) with bands like Damnations Day/Lord/Vanishing Point on the one bill in coming months -and I'm sure I forgot a couple.  I certainly won't make it to them all.

Didn't know Stryper were coming, and doing a show in Brisbane.  Not sure if I could handle Michael Sweet throwing bibles at me.  Fucking $86 too!!!  WTF?!

Offline gazinwales

Not sure what your complaining about?
$86 for a quite well known international act is on the cheap side in 2018.
I really doubt if the band/promoter are making much if anything on the tour, given the size of venue's and the high cost of everything in Australia.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
On a memorabilia thread, I'll be hanging a couple of cool Fates Warning gig posters in my den this week (need to tear down everything on the wall and re-do). I'll post up pics if anyone wants to check it out. If not, then carry on. :)

p.s. 86 bucks for Stryper is insane. Australia or not, that's a lot of money. Then again, not sure how much they have (or will in the future) make it there. I paid 35 bucks total for an upcoming show in November here in the states. To more than double the price for the same show? That's a bit pricey. I could understand 50, 60, given everything like travel and exchange rate and such. But 86 bucks? I'd need to seriously hear why the promoter is justified that cost first. If there are circumstances, or if if a chunk goes to charity, then fine. But if that's just the going rate, and it is strictly due to Stryper's fee, that is a bit much.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Sure Brian..............it's always cool to have a poster post their posters  ;D   I went crazy posting shirts and mags years ago until everyone was sick of it , but I for one love talking/seeing memorabilia.

PS  .....if you can get through the constant DTF server errors  :-\

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Sure Brian..............it's always cool to have a poster post their posters  ;D   I went crazy posting shirts and mags years ago until everyone was sick of it , but I for one love talking/seeing memorabilia.

Who was sick of it? Not me! I love seeing that stuff.

Its been a while since I posted a classic tour program. Will have to rectify that.

Brian, post away, brother!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
yeah I'm not sick of it at all.  I would love to see more Brent!!  And it will be cool to see Brian's posters for sure!

But I am sick of the DTF service errors too lol

Offline gazinwales

On a memorabilia thread, I'll be hanging a couple of cool Fates Warning gig posters in my den this week (need to tear down everything on the wall and re-do). I'll post up pics if anyone wants to check it out. If not, then carry on. :)

p.s. 86 bucks for Stryper is insane. Australia or not, that's a lot of money. Then again, not sure how much they have (or will in the future) make it there. I paid 35 bucks total for an upcoming show in November here in the states. To more than double the price for the same show? That's a bit pricey. I could understand 50, 60, given everything like travel and exchange rate and such. But 86 bucks? I'd need to seriously hear why the promoter is justified that cost first. If there are circumstances, or if if a chunk goes to charity, then fine. But if that's just the going rate, and it is strictly due to Stryper's fee, that is a bit much.

Works out to be around $63 US$, and for a country as expensive as Australia is, which is a lot more than the USA, I think it'a cheap.

Offline Kwyjibo

No, as others said, we weren't sick of it, you just stopped posting that stuff. Everybody bring it on. I would do so myself, but I don't have memorabilia that are worth showing.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

No, as others said, we weren't sick of it, you just stopped posting that stuff. Everybody bring it on. I would do so myself, but I don't have memorabilia that are worth showing.

When I said "until everyone was sick of it" I was being flippant and more referring to the fact that I posted so much stuff that eventually it was generating zero discussion and so I stopped.  I probably got through most of it anyway :lol
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 12:06:44 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

Over the weekend I listened to some records I haven't put on in a long time and got a serious case of nostalgia.

Does anybody know/remember a band called Company Of Wolves?

They released a self-titled record late in the 80s. They weren't really hair-metal, more in the style of maybe Tesla or Thunder. I got to know them due to the song "Call Of The Wild" getting some rotation on music tv back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKyc0OjzYxg

I really like this record, all quality songs imo. Sadly they didn't really took off. There's only the self-titled record, then another one from the late 90s, which is good but can't reach the debut and a collection of demos and unreleased songs, which I haven't heard and is kinda hard to get.

So anyway, I have them back on heavy rotation for now.  :metal
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 05:31:18 AM by Kwyjibo »

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I do remember them H and have the album somewhere ............will revisit.  I can't say that I remember a great deal about it as I haven't listened to it in 25 years or something.

I looked into the demos for you and you can get them on Cd Baby for 10 bucks

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/cowolves1

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

Thanks, apparently it isn't as hard to find as I thought. Last time I looked, some years ago, you could get only used cds for horrendous prices.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Cool on the gig posters. I'll post them as soon as they are on the wall. What I did was take the images online from the two So Cal Fates gigs I went to in January, along with the full US tour gig poster, developed them as big as I could get without pixalating, and had the band sign them all. They came out really well. Mike Abdow and Ray Alder really dug them when they signed them. It should look pretty bad ass when hung as a group on the wall. Made some progress in my den last night (re-arranged all my music collection, and got all the electronics sorted, as it is also the game room). Next step is taking all current stuff off the walls down, and then decluttering and putting what makes sense (including the Fates posters) up.

Busy this evening, but I think I should have it done by Friday. If not, it'll be done this weekend. My issue, of course, is space, as my den is simply the size of a bedroom. So it can get cluttered quickly (and I haven't even tackled my wife's stuff yet -- some cool signed Megadeth stuff, etc.)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Have you checked out the Destinia yet Brent?

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah - unfortunately I found it a bit like the prior release.  A couple of strong songs , a few decent ones and plenty of filler.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah - unfortunately I found it a bit like the prior release.  A couple of strong songs , a few decent ones and plenty of filler.

Sweet.  I won't bother.  :lol

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks, apparently it isn't as hard to find as I thought. Last time I looked, some years ago, you could get only used cds for horrendous prices.

No worries.

I am having a listen to the debut now - yet another quality early 90's album that vanished into the ether as the flannelette brigade took over . An enjoyable listen and a good one for fans of melodic southern rock a la 38 Special.   The lead guitarist is above average too (a bit of fire in his playing) which elevates it a bit.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Sweet.  I won't bother.  :lol

You very nearly got it in the last round of your roulette, had I not found the Nordheim at the right time 😀

I liked it but it’s pretty much as Brent said. It usually is 😀🤘

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Kamelot touring Oz now too Kade - we are popular !

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Just had a look, coming to Brisbane too. Cheaper than Stryper. Dont see me going, although i did like the most recent album.

If Khan was singing it would be a different story.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Just had a look, coming to Brisbane too. Cheaper than Stryper. Dont see me going, although i did like the most recent album.

If Khan was singing it would be a different story.

Tommy is a really good live frontman.

Though, I skipped the tour when the came around a few months ago.  Wasn't a very convenient date or location for me, so I bailed.  Wasn't too fussed with The Shadow Theory either.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion