Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 910058 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
New Dream Evil.  Nothing new from them really, standard stuff.  Funny video though;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVcISveC6gI

What it the holy hell did I just watch??  @ 1:20, did Tater join the band?

The video looks like a bunch of dads pretending to be a rock band in the back yard. Vocals were strained shit. Otherwise it wouldn't have been too bad a song.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I love that I can always count on Blob to have a difference in opinion no matter what.  :heart

I thought the video was a laugh.  This band has always been a cliche band, that's what they sort of marketed themselves as back in the day.   They did generic power metal and they knew it.  They didn't try to do anything new or original, they kind of made the statement that that's what they were doing.  They have never taken themselves seriously at all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought the little apprentice devil wings were funny as hell. Especially when one of the guys was trying to make them flap.  :lol

Yeah, I took it in the spirit that wolfking describes above.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That Dream Evil video.........wowzers.

But that Primal Fear release is going to be a smoking live album, Ralf sounds awesome.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Podcast is downloaded and transferred to my iPod. Listening will commence.

That's a great opening monologue, Brent. Appreciate being taken along for the ride.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Podcast downloading now!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Dunno if anyone will dig this but it's a band called The Night Flight Orchestra.  It's the singer and guitarists' of Soilwork's other band.  Old school 80's style but pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOcnKnNKv-A

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Not sure what I expected, but that sure as hell wasn't it. :lol

Awesome solo.. blood, guts, and all!

Checked the next song in the queue. Expecting about 5 hours of this kind of thing in Brent's new podcast! ;D

It's weird, but this music kind of hits a spot somewhere deep. Totally 80's. Gonna check out further. On Mignight Flyer, the singer reminds me of Graham Bonnett.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Good stuff Tim.  This will be their third album.  The first one was pretty damn good, but for some reason I never got around to checking out the second.  These new songs have resparked my interest though.

Amazing stuff considering the two founders of the band are from Soilwork.  Also has Sharlee D'Angelo on bass (Kind Diamond, Arch Enemy).

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Night Flight Orchestra are cool - I think I submitted them in my very first DTF roulette.  Nice retro vibe but also plenty of originality.  From memory the 2nd wasn't as strong as the debut but I like what I'm hearing from the new one.

Had intended featuring them in a future show but Kade has saved me the trouble  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I was just thinking out of nowhere...

I wonder how many rock riffs have that whole " double stops over a pedal tone " thing going on...

like in 2 minutes to Midnight for example.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Dunno if anyone will dig this but it's a band called The Night Flight Orchestra.  It's the singer and guitarists' of Soilwork's other band.  Old school 80's style but pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOcnKnNKv-A

Not what I was expecting at all with the link, but I dug the song.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Night Flight Orchestra are cool - I think I submitted them in my very first DTF roulette.  Nice retro vibe but also plenty of originality.  From memory the 2nd wasn't as strong as the debut but I like what I'm hearing from the new one.

Had intended featuring them in a future show but Kade has saved me the trouble  :)

No worries Brent.  I think I may have checked the second one but also thought it wasn't as strong as the debut, so I think I wrote it off pretty quick.  Definitely liking what I'm hearing from this one too.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice classic Aussie trio of songs Brent.

I liked the 21 Guns.  Heard about them through the Frontiers project LRS a couple of years back and was always one to check out.  That song backed that up.

Interesting that you and Paul have crossed paths over the years, good stuff.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That's one Accept album that I never checked out but that will change, that song was fucking great.

That first Aces High song was pretty sweet too, but the second song, the ballad was fucking amazing.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 05:06:51 AM by wolfking »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I was just thinking out of nowhere...

I wonder how many rock riffs have that whole " double stops over a pedal tone " thing going on...

like in 2 minutes to Midnight for example.
The Two Minutes To Midnight riff?

Let's see..

Riot-Swords And Tequila
Saxon- Power And The Glory
Accept-Flash Rocking Man
Dio- Stand Up And Shout
Hammerfall- Fury OF The Wild

I know there's more.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That's one Accept album that I never checked out but that will change, that song was fucking great.

Accept is on the podcast? Nice! Must be from one of the first three albums. Breaker, maybe?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:08:44 AM by TAC »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Accept is on the podcast? Nice! Must be from one of the first three albums. Breaker, maybe?

Eat the Heat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I haven't heard that album since it came out. Other then Generation Clash, the only song I remember liking was D Train. I literally have no memory of the song Brent played.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm listening to it right now and think it's quite excellent.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That's a great album and David Reece is a very good singer. But he clearly wasn't a good fit for Accept and the album sounds absolutely nothing like Accept. But I can only assume the band was trying to reach a larger audience with the new melodic sound, but nobody seemed interested and it bombed.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That's a great album and David Reece is a very good singer. But he clearly wasn't a good fit for Accept and the album sounds absolutely nothing like Accept. But I can only assume the band was trying to reach a larger audience with the new melodic sound, but nobody seemed interested and it bombed.

I can see why it bombed under the Accept banner, but it is a really good collection of songs, I dig it.  Wouldn't mind a copy of this.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I don't remember liking it very much.  Of course I was already a huge Accept fan. In fact, after the Dio tour, they were planning a club tour, and we had already purchased tickets. But then Udo left the band and the tour was cancelled. So bummed.

Eat The Heat did absolutely nothing for me. Like I said, I did not remember the track Brent played at all.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't remember liking it very much.  Of course I was already a huge Accept fan. In fact, after the Dio tour, they were planning a club tour, and we had already purchased tickets. But then Udo left the band and the tour was cancelled. So bummed.

Eat The Heat did absolutely nothing for me. Like I said, I did not remember the track Brent played at all.

The track I used was originally a Jap bonus track and would've one of the better tracks on it  ;)   I'm pretty sure that most recent versions feature the song though
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
OK, well that makes sense. I know I've never heard that title before. I played Eat The Heat a lot, almost forcing myself to like it. It really just never stuck.

BTW, speaking of Accept, I listened to Stalingrad while cutting the lawn today. :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
BTW, speaking of Accept, I listened to Stalingrad while cutting the lawn today. :metal

That poor lawn didn't know what hit it!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
What I've heard from Alien has been quality and that track is no different.

Not sure about the Ear-Xtasy albums Brent but they did release a compilation called That Was Then, This is Now which is a best of the 2 cd's.  That's what I have, but never dived fully into both albums of the Xtasy albums.  This is the track list;

1    Super '70s    
2    Pink Champagne Sparkle    
3    Falling Down    
4    Beautiful Strange    
5    Turn Away    
6    I Remember Stevie    
7    Cry For You    
8    Farmer Sez    
9    Electric Gypsy    
10    It's Getting Better    
11    That Was Then, This Is Now    
12    Groove Or Die    
13    A Night To Remember    
14    Carpe Diem    
15    Donna Lee (Live)    
16    Slips Away

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuck, I know of that Angry Anderson album but never checked it out and had no idea Slamer was behind it.  Nice.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hahahaha, Tim got Wingered with Autograph!!!  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That Bad Habit was really sweet.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

:lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
 :)     Glad you're getting some new finds out of it Kade.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Got the Metal Church live album (recorded last year) on Friday. Not sure who mixed it, but my Lord is Mike Howe way high in the mix. So much so, I can barely hear the music without blasting it. Anyone else pick it up and notice that?

Gotta admit, I'm a bit bummed, because the Howe era of Metal Church is my favorite. But he's so loud in the mix it is distracting.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
I've listened through the Alien track so far.  I love that 21 Guns album - pretty sure I sent Kade a track from that album in his roulette.

Other standouts were 1st Avenue, Accept, and that first Aces High track.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm only up to the Accept.

Hmmm... so I should stop at the Accept? :lol

Got the Metal Church live album (recorded last year) on Friday. Not sure who mixed it, but my Lord is Mike Howe way high in the mix. So much so, I can barely hear the music without blasting it. Anyone else pick it up and notice that?

Gotta admit, I'm a bit bummed, because the Howe era of Metal Church is my favorite. But he's so loud in the mix it is distracting.

Didn't realize it was out already. I don't like the sounds of that. May have to hear it first.