Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909672 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I just know the hits from Night Ranger

I would say that new song is decent, but nothing more than that at all

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
When it comes to Night Ranger I am not totally across their newer stuff as I lost interest a while back - for me their first three albums are the key ones .  Dawn Patrol , Midnight Madness and 7 Wishes. After that they seemed to lose most of whatever hard rock edge they had and the songwriting wasn't as good either IMO.

:lol

Don't worry Tim - there's better days comin  :metal

Tim was supposed to reply that Karma would get me  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

What was I supposed to do? Am I not playing right?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Lowdz

TAC wasn't paying attention. He was Miles Away...

You guys need to Loosen Up...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Slow down guys, I can't Kip up!

:neverusethis:

Oh, and for those of you that haven't checked the Top 5 Live Shows Thread, I have a bunch of classic pics posted.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
You are cheating on us with another thread???

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
You are cheating on us with another thread???

State of Emergency
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Ok, I think I got this...

Maybe I should Pull my post?

:facepalm:

Um..that didn't come out right. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Can't Keep From Hanging On...................to his post  :omg:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 04:47:44 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It's ok under one condition it never happens again!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I'm listening to Helloween's Walls Of Jericho right now.
I have always loved Ingo's drumming. Most Thrash or Power Metal drummers feel like machines, but Ingo has a real human feel to his drumming. I've always felt that way about the Keepers albums.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Some cool tunes on Walls of Jericho and hopefully they include a song on the upcoming tour.

Metal Invaders!  :metal

But I never could get into Kai's voice completely and that's why a lot of Gamma Ray doesn't do much for me. If Kiske was the singer on Walls, that album would be getting lots of rotation!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I agree. If Kiske was the singer for Gamma Ray, they'd be a Top 10 favorite band of mine.

At least we have Kiske versions of Starlight and Victim Of Fate. Plus bootleg versions of Ride The Sky and multiple live versions of How Many Tears.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Never heard the Ride the Sky bootleg with Kiske. That would be sweet!

Those other two songs from Walls with Kiske singing are excellent

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Jason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1RCHTsqQmI

Here's a video. Not great sound. Still cool though. I have a real decent version on my iPod. I'll search my hard drive for a copy tomorrow.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm the same with Hansen's voice for the most part - the only Gamma Ray songs I play with any regularity feature Scheepers.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I actually find Scheepers worse than Hansen.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I actually find Scheepers worse than Hansen.

I wonder if Scheepers was ever in the running to sing for Helloween after Kai stepped down

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Scheepers Of The Seven Keys!

:neverusethis:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I never knew you were so anti-Ralfy Tim.

I actually think he sounds not unlike Kiske on the early Gamma Ray stuff.  Even the early Gamma Ray stuff was patchy from a songwriting point of view but, endless midsection aside , I love the title track from Heading For Tomorrow.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm always surprised Tim isn't a big Ralf fan either. He's just pure metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Gamma Ray are a top 10 band for me, maybe top 5.  Always loved Kai's voice personally.

Offline Lepprador

I have to confess, I havn't heard a single Gamma Ray album. Isn't that Scheepers guy also the vocalist for Primal Fear ? A friend introduced me to their last two albums and while the metal is strong on both offerings, I found the vocals to be off-putting. Can't really pin it down, but something in his voice doesn't resonate very well with me and the lyrics are among the worst I've ever heard.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I was in a retro metal mood last night. But I have the day off today, so I may spin some Gamma Ray today. But I find a lot of Gamma Ray kind of samey. It's awesome. But samey. When I finish an album, I'm usually trying to figure out WTF I just listened to.

EDIT: Starting out with the one I gravitate to the most, Somewhere Out In Space.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 07:40:27 AM by TAC »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
When watching that Kiske Ride the Sky video, I think he would have been a good fit to replace Bruce in Maiden in the early 90's.  I know Kiske was in the running to get the gig, but I'm not sure how seriously he was being considered.  But I think a Maiden/Kiske combo would have been impressive.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
When watching that Kiske Ride the Sky video, I think he would have been a good fit to replace Bruce in Maiden in the early 90's.  I know Kiske was in the running to get the gig, but I'm not sure how seriously he was being considered.  But I think a Maiden/Kiske combo would have been impressive.

It would've been impressive. But I think that he was never considered. Not sure where I read that.

Listening to Heading For Tomorrow now. I think on this, Scheepers sounds great. His voice isn't as sharp or piercing.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
TAC roulette round 76:  Ralf Scheepers round.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 ;D

I have the 3 GR albums with him and a few Primal Fear.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I was in a retro metal mood last night. But I have the day off today, so I may spin some Gamma Ray today. But I find a lot of Gamma Ray kind of samey. It's awesome. But samey. When I finish an album, I'm usually trying to figure out WTF I just listened to.

EDIT: Starting out with the one I gravitate to the most, Somewhere Out In Space.

The run of Land of the Free through to No World order is just amazing IMO.  Powerplant is pure power metal perfection, and I love the more harder, straight forward metal approach of No World Order.  Somewhere Out in Space though I find has quite a lot of variety and is a very entertaining album.

Majestic is one that seems to get lost, but I find it very strong too.

Offline Lowdz

I have always loved Ingo's drumming. Most Thrash or Power Metal drummers feel like machines, but Ingo has a real human feel to his drumming. I've always felt that way about the Keepers albums.

I really don't like the drums on the first Keepers album. I hardly ever notice drums but something stands out as off. 2nd Keepers album isn't as bad for this but again I notice the drums, in a bad way.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
;D

I have the 3 GR albums with him and a few Primal Fear.

Insanity and Genius is a good one too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I really don't like the drums on the first Keepers album. I hardly ever notice drums but something stands out as off. 2nd Keepers album isn't as bad for this but again I notice the drums, in a bad way.

That's cool. Different Strokes...

Insanity and Genius is a good one too.

I'm halfway through Powerplant. Should get one more in tonight. Pick it Kade!