Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909870 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I have no idea what we are talking about. I'll check back tomorrow! :lol

Guys, think about  TAC's poor little heart when you post anything!  ;D

@Lowdz : I thought Infra Blue was better than Out of the Sun precisely because it differs from neo-classical playing (and as said before Taffola didn't stand a chance against the greats as TMac or Vinnie Moore).

B.Lee

Yeah, but at the time I was hugely into the neoclassical thing and I couldn't get enough. Towards the end of the 80s, following Satriani's chart success they all quickly went for that sort of sound.

One of the best examples of "crossing over" IMHO is Vinnie Moore's Meltdown. 

I went hunting around the 2nd hand stores one weekend in the early 90's and came home with Meltdown and Tyketto's debut for about $10 all up (not having heard anything from either) ...........one of my more successful gambles on music that lot.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Meltdown is a pretty damn solid album indeed.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

A great album. Not much in it between that and Mind's Eye, just depends what mood I'm in.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)

Agreed completely. Vinnie has revealed himself to be more versatile than I had thought when i first heard him. And still, there is something in his neoclassical playing that has this versatility in germs.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
A great album. Not much in it between that and Mind's Eye, just depends what mood I'm in.

Mind's Eye for me.

Offline Lowdz

Agreed completely. Vinnie has revealed himself to be more versatile than I had thought when i first heard him. And still, there is something in his neoclassical playing that has this versatility in germs.

B.Lee

Those first four albums are all great, and none sound like the others. Very rare for a shredder.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Spanish metallers Snakeyes (who I have introduced to a few of you) have been playing Accept's Metal Heart on tour to fill out the set with their debut album and have just recorded a version for their fans.  Nothing new in there but a pretty faithful rendition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a95qd0SN3zU
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I saw that the other day. Does the singer always sound like that? It is pretty close for sure.

So speaking of Accept, I preordered Restless And Live tonight, but have been listening to Dirkschneider's  Live-Back To The Roots on Spotify. Haven't purchased yet.

I know from past posts that the Accept will be fairly anticipated around here, while the Dirschneider seems to be ignored. Why is that? Did anyone get it?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I saw that the other day. Does the singer always sound like that? It is pretty close for sure.

I think when I played them in the podcast I described them as Spain's Judas Priest , so he's more Halford than Udo but he certainly has the voice capable of doing a nice Udo impression.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
  Spain's Judas Priest 

I remember that reference.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Besides a best of, I never bought anything from UDO's solo material

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I know from past posts that the Accept will be fairly anticipated around here, while the Dirschneider seems to be ignored. Why is that? Did anyone get it?

I find this too in general when it comes to UDO.  I am a huge fan of a lot of his solo material.  His last album was one of my favs from that year, great metal.

Saying that, I haven't checked that live album, I'd rather him do his own material.

Offline Lowdz

So speaking of Accept, I preordered Restless And Live tonight, but have been listening to Dirkschneider's  Live-Back To The Roots on Spotify. Haven't purchased yet.

Because his voice is awful... though I can put up with it on those couple of classic Accept albums.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
One of my favourite posts was Paul's description of Udo some years ago.........what was it?   Constipated flaming homosexual army general or something?  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lepprador

Everytime I hear him, I get an uncontrollable urge to bark. Must be some genetic wolf pack like reflex.

I own the first 3 Udo albums, because I was a fan of the obscure german Metal band Gravestone and the lead guitarist Mathias Dieth became Udo's axeman plus two ex Warlock members were in the line up, too.
The 3rd one Faceless World was abysmal, so I lost interest.
Any following albums worth checking out ?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 08:08:09 AM by Lepprador »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I think my fave was Animal House .  After that yeah.....Faceless World had 3 or 4 good songs and a bunch of filler and Holy was the same or worse.

The one a few years back Decadent was better - 3 or 4 really good tracks , some solid stuff and still a fair bit of filler.

I may have some others but they'll be in my "get around to it" list which has a coupla thousand albums in it :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

One of my favourite posts was Paul's description of Udo some years ago.........what was it?   Constipated flaming homosexual army general or something?  :lol

I think "drunk" was in there too somewhere  :biggrin:
He always sounded like that angry drunk bloke we've all seen, ranting at the world to no one in particular  :biggrin:

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)

Because his voice is awful... though I can put up with it on those couple of classic Accept albums.

Exactly my thoughts. I  never really got into Accept because of Udo's voice.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Was never a big Accept fan. But then I got the last three records with the new singer (Tornillo?). I liked them. A bit samey, but I enjoyed them regardless.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think anybody can really say the UDO has a great voice, but there is somebody about his vocals that just went hand in hand with the riffs of Accept.  Fit perfectly.

Offline Lowdz

New singer is a trade up.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I agree.  Thats why I'm pumped for the new live album.  Listening to the classics with Marks voice should be very cool.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Even back in the day, I remember thinking that if Udo sang for any other band, I wouldn't listen. But Accept had great musicianship and were tight as hell.
Wolf Hoffman has a tone that is second to only Michael Schenker, and it goes right threw me and touches my core. Peter Baltes is awesome, and I always loved Stefan Kaufman's drumming. That band hit the spot for me, so I learned to live with Udo.

Listening to his new live album, I love the track listing, but there's just something missing.

Seeing them open for Maiden in '85 was literally the best (well, second best after DT) opening set I've ever seen.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everytime I hear him, I get an uncontrollable urge to bark. Must be some genetic wolf pack like reflex.

I own the first 3 Udo albums, because I was a fan of the obscure german Metal band Gravestone and the lead guitarist Mathias Dieth became Udo's axeman plus two ex Warlock members were in the line up, too.

Dieth is such an underrated guitarist.  The one after Faceless World, Timebomb has a nice Painkiller vibe throughout and some amazing soloing from Mathias, check that one out.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Tim, I'm just listening to Breaker from the live Dirkschneider album.  It sounds good, what would you rate the full album?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's good. I'm actually thinking of buying it. I will say that I thought Udo sounds awesome, and the setlist is fantastic. I think as far as deep Accept cuts, Restless And Live is missing a few. But I love things like Monsterman, TV War.
It definitely rocks. But it's like diet metal as Wolf Hoffman provides the body and depth that is missing here. Still it's pretty damned good.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It would be cool to buy it along with the new live Accept.  Double Accept!!  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You know what, Jason? You are right.

Just ordered it!!!
 :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
But it's like diet metal as Wolf Hoffman provides the body and depth that is missing here. Still it's pretty damned good.

This statement would make sense.  The two fellas on the axe in UDO's band are a lot younger so don't have that experience like Wolf.  Great guitarists and awesome with UDO's stuff but I could see how they would be missing something that only that old school experience would bring.  I should have a listen to this one.

Offline Lowdz

Listening on Spotify now. Yeah, it's ok. Great set list.

Offline Lepprador

Dieth is such an underrated guitarist.  The one after Faceless World, Timebomb has a nice Painkiller vibe throughout and some amazing soloing from Mathias, check that one out.

Yes, he is. It's quite challenging to think of a player of his quality to be as low key as him.
Imho, he shines the most on:

Gravestone - Back To Attack (1985)

Dieth is the one with the Flying V.
If one can stand screechy vocals, this is pure unadulterated, unapologetic Heavy fucking Metal.

I'll check out Timebomb, then.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Holy crap Leprador, I'm checking this out now. Really cool!

If I may, are you old enough to have been listening to this in 1985, and what part of the world are you located?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just checked my song ratings on that Gravestone and it seems I thought the first half was killer , the second half mostly filler.    Very solid album overall .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Listening to The Tiger and at the 4 minute there's a blatant "Accept part".