Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 910007 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I still find the thought of christmas in summertime strange. We don't regularly have snow (although my girls really hope for it each year) but it's winter and mildly cold.

It feels strange to me too, because even here the image of Christmas constantly seen in advertising and shows is that of snow. It's as much a characteristic of Christmas as Santa and reindeer and the tree. Unfortunately, much like Santa and the flying reindeer, snow is just a myth for us Australians. :lol So we have to just do shit our way.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

Merry Christmas everyone  :metal

We never get snow where I live. Ever. Just rain, and then more rain. When the next ice age comes it will still just rain here  :biggrin:
Just finished putting all the kids' stuff together and waiting for dinner.

Just had a go with the Sanpera foot controlling my other half got me. Wah wah and whammy pedal overload. I could join Metallica  :biggrin:

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think the Aussie boys could even begin to wrap their heads around a winter day in Winnipeg, or in Canada.

It's been getting to -30 C or -22 F. But it's actually even colder than that with the windchill.

But then our summers can get +35 C or +95 F, and just crazy hot.

When it comes to weather, we are legit even Steven.

But as much as the Aussie boys might want to, do not go on vacation to Winnipeg in the winter. I actually just saw Jerry Seinfeld last week and the weather was the first thing he mentioned, he couldn't get over the cold.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 12:36:57 PM by jjrock88 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
JJ, even from Boston I'll give you winter props!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Hell, I'll give you props from here.  It's +2C, and going up to +10 tomorrow.  But, we still have a foot or so of snow on the ground

Merry xmas to my peeps I haven't already reached out to over email/FB.  Make it a great one.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Hell, I'll give you props from here.  It's +2C, and going up to +10 tomorrow.  But, we still have a foot or so of snow on the ground

Merry xmas to my peeps I haven't already reached out to over email/FB.  Make it a great one.

Sent you a Christmas shout out on Spotify.

And WTF is 2C? English please!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
The English use celsius, it's already in english. :laugh:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't think the Aussie boys could even begin to wrap their heads around a winter day in Winnipeg, or in Canada.

Nope, sure couldn't. Hell, people here start up their fireplaces once the weather gets below 20C. It's embarrassing. :lol

The English use celsius, it's already in english. :laugh:

EVERYONE uses Celsius. :lol Except 'Murica. They seem to struggle to keep up with the rest of the world when it comes to numbers and measurements. :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Hope you guys all had a great day.

It's been getting to -30 C or -22 F. But it's actually even colder than that with the windchill.

But then our summers can get +35 C or +95 F, and just crazy hot.

When it comes to weather, we are legit even Steven.

But as much as the Aussie boys might want to, do not go on vacation to Winnipeg in the winter. I actually just saw Jerry Seinfeld last week and the weather was the first thing he mentioned, he couldn't get over the cold.

I agree with pretty much all of that Jay - we have no idea what real cold is.   The lowest temp I have ever experienced would be just below zero (C) and I have never seen snow.  Having said that we do have snow fields only a 90 min drive away where it gets down to -15 C

The only thing I would differ on a bit is your definition of crazy hot.  It's 35 here at the moment and I've just been out for a kick of the football with Ben  :lol

I'll relate a couple of fairly recent events that we would call crazy hot............at the opposite end of the spectrum to your extreme cold.

Summer 2014 :  4 consecutive days with max temps of 41-45C .  At no time (day or night) did the temp drop below 25C and one night the overnight low was 32C

Summer 2009:  The day of the world's worst ever bushfire event.   Our thermometer registered 48 C (almost 119 F)  and <2% humidity.  Winds at 100km/h.   Nuff said  :-\
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
  I've just been out for a kick of the football with Ben  :lol

And by football, I'm sure you mean soccer ball. :D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

And..........no.  :lol

In these parts (although soccer and rugby have built up their popularity quite a lot)  football means Australian Rules Football (AFL). 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

In these parts (although soccer and rugby have built up their popularity quite a lot)  football means Australian Rules Football (AFL). 

Or NRL if you're in NSW. No idea what they follow in other states, nor do I really care. It's all the same sportball shit to me anyway. :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
And when we have the +35 weather there usually is 100% humidity in the air, so that makes it hotter. But what we classify as crazy hot you would classify as just hot.

But with the cold comes hockey and I assume hockey isn't the most popular in Austrailia lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
And when we have the +35 weather there usually is 100% humidity in the air, so that makes it hotter. But what we classify as crazy hot you would classify as just hot.

But with the cold comes hockey and I assume hockey isn't the most popular in Austrailia lol

We have a holiday house (the bane of my existence) in Queensland where it gets up into the low 30's with super high humidity .......I actually find it a nice change , so maybe I should pay you a visit  :D  .  It is a very different type of heat but I'm not sure it would bother me more than low single digits humidity which literally takes your breath away and there's no need for anti-perspirant :lol

As far as hockey goes , Australia is consistently in the top few teams in the world (male and female) in outdoor hockey , but it's still a fringe sport.  Ice hockey (which is what you're referring to I imagine) is basically non existent.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

We have a holiday house (the bane of my existence) in Queensland where it gets up into the low 30's with super high humidity .......I actually find it a nice change , so maybe I should pay you a visit  :D  .  It is a very different type of heat but I'm not sure it would bother me more than low single digits humidity which literally takes your breath away and there's no need for anti-perspirant :lol

As far as hockey goes , Australia is consistently in the top few teams in the world (male and female) in outdoor hockey , but it's still a fringe sport.  Ice hockey (which is what you're referring to I imagine) is basically non existent.

Next time you are up bro, we are definitely meeting up for a drink or coffee, needs to happen, I will make sure of it this time mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Cool  :tup

This Best of 2016 podcast is going to have be across 2 big shows - I had forgotten so much stuff from this year but now that I'm going through it methodically it's very  :omg: .  But if I am to achieve what I want (expose you guys to most of the best releases, cover everyone's tastes to some extent and let you guys decide what's the best of the best for you) it's going to be way too big for one show. 

Will try and have both done by mid Feb and the first out there during January.   

Ben asked me to wish you all a "rocking Christmas"  :lol   - I will try and find a Christmas photo later if I remember.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Did you get Ben any metal/rock cd's? That kid has potential to be the worlds top rocker so you need to continue with the proper training

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm not convinced that 2016 warrants 2 shows. :lol So I look forward to hopefully discovering something I'd missed. I found 2016 disappointing compared to previous years, although there are a couple of albums I really liked.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Did you get Ben any metal/rock cd's? That kid has potential to be the worlds top rocker so you need to continue with the proper training

:lol

There is one thing he loves more than music and that's his football team .  Most of his presents were footy related but over his school holidays hopefully we'll be listening to plenty of music and doing the podcast. 

He has a pretty limited attention span so won't sit down and listen/watch music for hours like we might , but as he gets older hopefully he will develop that ability and perhaps take up the guitar etc.....like his old man did as a kid.   That's the only way I might get back into it myself - teaching him and re-learning along the way.

I don't deal much in CD's any more either - they're all ripped to disk and played via digital means.  New music is generally digital now unless it's from one of my all time favourite bands.   I have an amazing stereo system but 99% of my music is played in my study through the little Swan system I have , which does still have very nice sound.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 10:44:23 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not convinced that 2016 warrants 2 shows. :lol

That could mean that Kade needs 3 shows. :lol

I would guess that I have liked maybe 10 -15 % of what I have listened to this year , so yeah...................but I would've checked out over 1000 albums .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
That percentage sounds about right for me, although I've only checked out maybe 1/100 of what you have. Haven't felt all that inspired by this year's offerings.
I can't wait to hear your choices, hopefully including the few I've enjoyed.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
1000 albums this year............wowzers

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
1000 albums this year............wowzers

3 per day and it doesn't sound so nuts :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I'd be surprised if I broke 100 albums this year. I found some great stuff but the quantity seemed lacking, though admittedly I need to return to a great deal of those albums and will probably change my mind on some of them.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I'm happy if I can listen to about 20 new records thoroughly (meaning about 10 spins per record) and maybe 20 to 30 more records with one or two listens per year.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm happy if I can listen to about 20 new records thoroughly (meaning about 10 spins per record) and maybe 20 to 30 more records with one or two listens per year.

There's the difference - in trying to keep across everything that moves I don't think I would've listened to any album for 10 spins this year.  And when I say "checked out" I mean sampled 1-3 songs and made a decision to follow up properly or not.  I certainly didn't listen to 1000 albums from 2016 from start to finish.

If we're talking albums from 2016 that I listened to all the way through (generally means a rating 75%+) then we're talking more like 200-250 or < 1 per day.

Aside from an exception here or there nothing will be considered for the podcast unless it got low 80's or better.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not convinced that 2016 warrants 2 shows. :lol

That could mean that Kade needs 3 shows. :lol

I would guess that I have liked maybe 10 -15 % of what I have listened to this year , so yeah...................but I would've checked out over 1000 albums .

I was actually going to agree with Blob!  :rollin  But seeing you have checked over 1000 albums, fair enough.  Doubt I would have cracked 50 I reckon.

Brent, who's Ben's team?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Having a listen to this new Enbound for the first time.  It's pretty damn good actually.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Having a listen to this new Enbound for the first time.  It's pretty damn good actually.

You do need 3 shows  :lol     Certainly solid but that was about it for me.

Brent, who's Ben's team?

Collingwood Magpies in the AFL.   And for those in the US that's like the Yankees - if you don't love them , you hate them.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Looking forward to them then Brent.  *rubs hands together.*

Ah, I thought it may have been AFL, Eddie McGuire would be very proud of Ben.  I'm an NRL man myself.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I haven't had time to really check it out yet. I will do so later today or tomorrow. I was big on their first album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I haven't had time to really check it out yet. I will do so later today or tomorrow. I was big on their first album.

Looking at my song ratings it looks like this:

Latest Album - solid throughout , no standouts

Debut:  Solid throughout , 3 standouts.

.........and gawd some of the production on these 2016 releases is woeful.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
One of the cooler things I got for Christmas was a VULGAR DISPLAY OF PANTERA, the coffee table retrospective book chronicling the story of well, Pantera.  :lol I haven't read it yet, but I love books like this. I'm a big reader, and while this one doesn't have nearly the kind of text the Metallica version (there is one called Back to the Front that I have), it's going to be a cool trip down Pantera fandom when I get around to reading it. I also have another one apparently coming (Santa was mad that it wasn't available for Christmas) that depicts the history of the L'Amour rock/metal club in New York City (I'm from Long Island). Looking forward to checking that out.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Lowdz

You're both wrong. Football should only ever mean the beautiful game and should never be used to describe games were using your foot is an incidental part of the game  :biggrin: