Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909906 times)

Offline Lowdz

:lol :biggrin:
Great news. There's a void now Classic Rock mag has gone... :biggrin:

I watched enough Neighbours back in the day to know what ripper means!

You can't keep a ripper album to yourself like that Brent. You know what to do   ;)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Neighbours is pretty ordinary Paul  :biggrin:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Neighbours is pretty ordinary Paul  :biggrin:

I was too young to know any better, and it always had some cute Aussie girls  :heart

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll pay that......Margot Robbie :drool:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Could be an interesting development with the podcast.   I have just stumbled onto a ripper album released in 2016 - the key artist is also a current member of a biggish melodic hard rock band that a few of us like around here.   I purchased the album from his website and left him a note to say that I loved it and that I'd feature him in a tiny little podcast we do and he wrote back and said "how about an interview?"  :omg:

I wouldn't know where to start but if I can get the right set up in Skype or something, the questions (and balls) together we might have our first interview in the next podcast.

Sounds interesting Brent indeed.  Give us a hint?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought I did :lol

Hmm - I want there to be some surprises for you guys in the podcast  :P 

OK - the album is an instrumental and , although I wouldn't call him a huge name in his own right ,  he's a member of one of the bigger name bands in melodic rock.   The band would've had plenty of discussion in the "wuss thread" as Tim would call it.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I got nothing and am too tired to look.  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Good :lol   It'll be a nice surprise when we get to the podcast.

geez there's a ridiculous number of albums per year these days.  Makes the 80's look slow.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Good :lol   It'll be a nice surprise when we get to the podcast.

geez there's a ridiculous number of albums per year these days.  Makes the 80's look slow.

Quality, not quantity. :hat
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yep.      I thought I had to work hard back then to find the quality but now it's whole new level.   The quality is still there but the chances of finding all/most of it are much lower now as there's so much more average stuff getting released (both on labels and independent).  Only so much time in the day.

One day I will tire of it and return to the JJ method - classics all day every day .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's a lot easier to record an album these days and get it out there, which is both a good and a bad thing. It's great that more artists have the opportunity to create music, but it also means there's more music than ever to sift through to find the stuff you like. It was also much harder to find the obscure gems back then before internet. It must have been horrible! :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well before the internet there were basically 3 methods for me:

- mags
- CD shop trawling .  Bought a few based on covers no doubt.
- networking

I had two main guys helping me out back in the day.   One guy was a manager of some local bands and a shareholder in Now&then Records (similar to Frontiers back then) and he used to put up with me and send me mix tapes of obscure bands he knew.   The other was Andrew (pre- mr.com) who used to run a mail order CD store from his home and his catalogues were invaluable .  He also used to send me stuff to try - keep what I like and send the rest back , which was very cool.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Sometimes, when I was a kid, even if I blind bought a shitty album (Rox, Tsunami, Tarzen...) I always seemed to find something decent about it, mainly because of the investment I made. And extra cash wasn't exactly flowing back then.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I know that too, because I spent my hard earned money I always found something to like. Maybe not much, but always something, a song, a solo etc. Nowadays I don't give things I don't like that much of a chance.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yep.      I thought I had to work hard back then to find the quality but now it's whole new level.   The quality is still there but the chances of finding all/most of it are much lower now as there's so much more average stuff getting released (both on labels and independent).  Only so much time in the day.

One day I will tire of it and return to the JJ method - classics all day every day .

It's a proven method!  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Welcome, newcomers. The tradition of Festivus begins with the airing of grievances. I got a lot of problems with you people and now you're gonna hear about it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Bravewords #9!
https://bravewords.com/news/bravepicks-2016-flotsam-and-jetsam-s-flotsam-and-jetsam-9

They had to get to someone I had heard of eventually  :lol  Slight exaggeration but still.........
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 08:58:52 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Bravewords always seem to be geared towards the more brutal stuff.  Will be interesting to see the rest of the list though.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I used to always buy the Bravewords magazine in the late 90s early 2000s. It was cool because it always came with a cd with various artists on it, so I heard about a lot of new bands that way.

It did seem to lean towards brutal/very heavy bands. 

But Mitch Lafon knows his stuff, dare I say he might have more rock knowledge than Brent. I'll call it a tie lol

Offline Lowdz

Mick Zane, guitarist with Malice has died, age 58. RIP.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Mick Zane, guitarist with Malice has died, age 58. RIP.

As did Rick Parfitt of Status Quo  :-\

Merry Xmas and GTFO 2016.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow! I saw that Parfitt was in the hospital.  WTF??

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Merry Christmas to the dudes from Australia! Morning already!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
And Merry Christmas to you, once you guys catch up. :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Merry Xmas boys!!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Merry Christmas to my Hard Rock/Metal amigos!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
 :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Merry Xmas guys (from Ben too).

38 (or 100F) in the shade here - hottest Xmas in 20 years.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

Merry Christmas to all of you.  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
38 (or 100F) in the shade here - hottest Xmas in 20 years.

28 and cloudy with rain up until 1pm up here.  I loved it to be honest.  Would hate to be there with those temps Brent.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
33C here today, coolest day for the next week. Got 3 days in a row over 40C to look forward to in a few days. Can't wait for 2016 to be over. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Still 2 months of summer! Then March is basically summer temps here anyway.  >:(

Offline Kwyjibo

I still find the thought of christmas in summertime strange. We don't regularly have snow (although my girls really hope for it each year) but it's winter and mildly cold.