Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909536 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
New Firewind;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF_nYCnVjcM

Not fuckin' bad.

I like it better than pretty much anything on Gus's solo stuff of late.  It's certainly my style of power metal but it's about as original as the latest reality TV shocker.  I can listen to it no probs but not likely to come back to it.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just listened to the Armored Saint live album. Is it just me, or is the mix way too bass heavy ?

Perhaps a bit - possibly also a symptom of what I thought was a rhythm guitar sound lacking punch.  The rest sounded pretty good.

This is a hard one to rate so I will break it down.

Performances: 9/10 - Bush sounds great as per usual

Sound Quality : 8/10

Song Selection/Song Numbers: 6.5/10  - not enough of my faves and not enough songs full stop.

Overall maybe 8/10 but it's really better than that but for the markdown for the songs/length.   I thought the song Win Hands Down was better live than on the studio album too.

So looking at the short tracklist:
“Win Hands Down” (Live)
“March Of The Saint” (Live)
“Stricken By Fate” (Live)
“Last Train Home” (Live)
“Mess” (Live)
“Aftermath” (Live)
“Left Hook From Right Field” (Live)
“Reign Of Fire” (Live)

For a short list, it's not a bad cross section. I'm so glad there is now an official live version of Aftermath. Its omission from Saints Will Conquer was a major issue with me. I'm very happy they didn't waste a track on Can U Deliver.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
An 8/10 Brent rating Armored Saint live album is still good news!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Firewind;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF_nYCnVjcM

Not fuckin' bad.

I like it better than pretty much anything on Gus's solo stuff of late.  It's certainly my style of power metal but it's about as original as the latest reality TV shocker.  I can listen to it no probs but not likely to come back to it.

I was a big fan of Gus' first solo album but his second one was pretty bad.  Definitely not original but it really seems the days of decent yet original metal are really numbered.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
My sister's 40th birthday cake from the weekend , which I expect you guys would approve of.   Her big brother was very influential and the cake reflects her 3 main loves - her footy team (top) , her hard rock and metal (middle) and her grog (lower).

Her name is Simone , hence the "Sim Beam"  ;D

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Awesome!!! Did Ben attack the bottom of the cake?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Awesome!!! Did Ben attack the bottom of the cake?

Ben's not a big one for cake.  I just didn't think to take a photo on my phone until after it had been attacked.  I was too busy setting up the music at the start of the night (which was running off my phone and sound system)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Sweet!! (Literally)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
What an incredible looking cake.

Offline Lowdz

Great cake. Pass on my birthday wishes to your sis.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So THIS is the Whitesnake lineup?
Who are these people?

David Coverdale - vocals
Reb Beach - guitars, backing vocals
Joel Hoekstra - guitars, backing vocals
Michael Devin - bass, harmonica, backing vocals
Tommy Aldridge - drums
Michele Luppi - keyboards, backing vocals

I know Luppi was in Vision Divine and is an amazing vocalist. I feel bad for him here.  And obviously I know Aldridge.

Offline Lowdz

Who are these people?

David Coverdale - vocals
Tommy Aldridge - drums

I know Luppi was in Vision Divine and is an amazing vocalist. I feel bad for him here.  And obviously I know Aldridge.

Joel Hoekstra was with night ranger until recently. Great player. Released a really good album last year.
I think you know Reb Beach...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I thought Night Ranger was Jeff Watson and Brad Gillis. Is Night Ranger even a thing?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I remember Reb Beach in Dokken a few years back.

I've never heard of Luppi or Devin.

The last new material I heard from Whitesnake was the Good to be Bad album from 2008.  I thought that was a pretty solid disc, but never really felt like playing it much.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Reb Beach was in Dokken too??

JJ, Luppi is a fantastic vocalist. Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TYUQN5ULcc

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Who are these people?

David Coverdale - vocals
Tommy Aldridge - drums

You must know Reb Beach?  He has been in the lineup since 2002.

I have a a Vision Divine DVD and a couple of albums with Luppi on them, great singer.  With him and Reb in the band, Dave will basically sing nothing.

Reb Beach was in Dokken too??

Played on the album Erase the Slate and the fantastic Live from the Sun DVD.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
As a long time Winger fan Tim surely knows Reb Beach.  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

As a long time Winger fan Tim surely knows Reb Beach.  :biggrin:

That's certainly what I was getting at. And yes, Reb was in Dokken at one time.

Night Ranger was originally Watson and Gillis but Hoekstra replaced Watson a few years ago. And yes they are a thing. Somewhere in California album from a few years ago was excellent.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Reb who? I don't know what you guys are talking about! :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
If anyone is struggling for ideas for Xmas , then this is released today .  Just in time.............phew :lol

The Bret Michaels emoji and lyric keyboard will combine Michaels's most famous lyrics, sayings and phrases from both his music and TV career, along with various illustrations of the singer sure to suit the users every emotion, turning their thoughts into Michaels's best-known lyrics and phrases.    :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I heard the Deluxe Version comes with a bandana.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Merry Christmas to you too Tim  :metal

Ditto to all the dudes who make this a killer thread .....

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :metal :metal :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 07:20:23 PM by TAC »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

:heart :heart :heart

If anyone is struggling for ideas for Xmas , then this is released today .  Just in time.............phew :lol

The Bret Michaels emoji and lyric keyboard will combine Michaels's most famous lyrics, sayings and phrases from both his music and TV career, along with various illustrations of the singer sure to suit the users every emotion, turning their thoughts into Michaels's best-known lyrics and phrases.    :metal

WTF?!  How did Gene Simmons not get on this first?

Offline Lowdz

And a happy Mithras Day to all my DTF friends  :biggrin: :heart

🎅☃️❄️

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth

Is it already that time of the year?

Happy/Rockin' Christmas to you all  :metal :metal :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Could be an interesting development with the podcast.   I have just stumbled onto a ripper album released in 2016 - the key artist is also a current member of a biggish melodic hard rock band that a few of us like around here.   I purchased the album from his website and left him a note to say that I loved it and that I'd feature him in a tiny little podcast we do and he wrote back and said "how about an interview?"  :omg:

I wouldn't know where to start but if I can get the right set up in Skype or something, the questions (and balls) together we might have our first interview in the next podcast.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 06:42:57 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Define "ripper".

Is it a heavy album from a wuss?  ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Is it a heavy album from a wuss?  ;D

You might call his regular band wussy , although you are a fan of at least one of the band members.  And yes........this album is heavy.

"Ripper" is slang (possibly just in Oz ) for awesome, amazing..............similar to saying "a killer release."  In this case = likely in my top five for the year.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Hmm....now that's something to chew on..

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I can't believe Brent is going to interview Kip Winger!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm going to ask him if he'll send Tim a signed Xmas photo  ;)

www.theguitardojo.com.au