Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909559 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
not sure I like what Kiske is doing with his voice early in the verses.   Sounds like he has a mouth full or Oreos and is singing out the corner of his mouth.
:lol

It does. he needs some milk!

As awesome as the first PV album was, it is a suck project. The last album was so fucking bad Winger laughed at it.

This is actually better than anything I heard off the last album though.

I thought it was really good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The song is nothing new or exciting though really.  Might work better in the album but certainly heard it all before. 

Sounds like he has a mouth full of Oreos and is singing out the corner of his mouth.

Haha, good description Brent, but when I first heard it, I couldn't help but to think of this;

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin

Offline Lowdz

Hmm - new Place Vendome

https://youtu.be/WN_BFSOxdck

The riffs are starting to get "samey" (if they weren't already) and not sure I like what Kiske is doing with his voice early in the verses.   Sounds like he has a mouth full of Oreos and is singing out the corner of his mouth.

Good god that was horrific. Chorus is better but not enough for me to ever listen to Kiske trying to croon. That riff has been on every Frontiers album in the last four years. The Revolution Saints album used it several times  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That doesn't even sound like Kiske at all. What the heck!!!

I can't believe I'm saying this, but that song isn't good and Kiske sounds................weird or bad, I'm not sure. I've only heard a couple PV songs and that was from the first album. I thought they sounded great, but this one, yikes

Offline Lowdz

It sounds like he's taking the piss out of Danzig  :biggrin: which would be forgivable cos he's a tool  :biggrin: but makes for a shit song.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll just pretend I never listened to it lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I gave up once it got to sucking tits. Fucking cringey.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I didn't mind that Deep Purple song at all.  I don't think I've heard even one track from a Deep Purple album since Perfect Strangers.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I didn't mind that Deep Purple song at all.  I don't think I've heard even one track from a Deep Purple album since Perfect Strangers.

Then listen to the whole of Purpendicular right now. Better than most of the classic records.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hmm - new Place Vendome

https://youtu.be/WN_BFSOxdck

The riffs are starting to get "samey" (if they weren't already) and not sure I like what Kiske is doing with his voice early in the verses.   Sounds like he has a mouth full of Oreos and is singing out the corner of his mouth.

Good god that was horrific. Chorus is better but not enough for me to ever listen to Kiske trying to croon. That riff has been on every Frontiers album in the last four years. The Revolution Saints album used it several times  :lol

That's a great album.

Offline Lowdz

I really enjoy the Perfect Strangers album, and the rest of the Blackmore albums following it. Morse Purple hasn't done anything for me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That Deep Purple song wasn't bad.  Nice instrumental section.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I really enjoy the Perfect Strangers album, and the rest of the Blackmore albums following it. Morse Purple hasn't done anything for me.

It's blasphemous to many guitarists but I always felt Morse is among the most overrated guitarists out there.   I've been following him since early days and bought solo albums like High Tension Wires and Southern Steel on release , so it's not as if I haven't tried.   He has his moments (did a good job on Kansas' Power) but overall I find his playing quite "unmelodic" - many of his solo runs are more chromatic noise than melody to me.   Didn't impress me live with Purple either.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

I think the same of Blackmore, some nice riffs but his solos more or less leave me cold and I therefore find him overrated.

Steve Morse is good when he's in a real band and not the band leader and sole writer imo. From his solo albums only The Introduction is great, the rest has too many fillers for my liking. I quite like him in Deep Purple, and as I said before, Purpendicular is a killer record. Ted The Mechanic has moore groove than most of the DP classics and Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming may be my favorite DP song.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

It's blasphemous to many guitarists but I always felt Morse is among the most overrated guitarists out there.   I've been following him since early days and bought solo albums like High Tension Wires and Southern Steel on release , so it's not as if I haven't tried.   He has his moments (did a good job on Kansas' Power) but overall I find his playing quite "unmelodic" - many of his solo runs are more chromatic noise than melody to me.   Didn't impress me live with Purple either.

Deep Purple without Blackmore isn't even Deep Purple imo. Morse totally ruined seeing Deep Purple for me (luckily I wasn't there to see Purple). You're a pops nostalgia band, at least try to play the songs the way they're supposed to be. I've never seen someone so happy to play the music so wrong.

Offline Lowdz

I think the same of Blackmore, some nice riffs but his solos more or less leave me cold and I therefore find him overrated.

Steve Morse is good when he's in a real band and not the band leader and sole writer imo. From his solo albums only The Introduction is great, the rest has too many fillers for my liking. I quite like him in Deep Purple, and as I said before, Purpendicular is a killer record. Ted The Mechanic has moore groove than most of the DP classics and Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming may be my favorite DP song.

No way is Blackmore overrated. He is one of the originals with Page, Hendrix, Beck, Iommi, Clapton etc.

Morse doesn't seem to be a writer. Very good guitarist but not a songwriter.
Those two songs you reference are good but don't stand up to the classic DP stuff.

Offline Kwyjibo

Maybe overrated is the wrong term. There's no denying that Blackmore was and probably still is highly influential. It's just that his playing is not always for my personal taste. I like the classic Purple stuff and most of the early Rainbow too but a lot of Blackmore's solo playing just doesn't connect with me. And he's a dickhead  :biggrin:

Offline Lowdz

He's certainly a dick head  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Morse has a unique, interesting style, but I was never a huge fan of him either.  Same could be said about Blackmore I guess.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah - I quite like that.  Nice retro vibe without sounding contrived.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Yeah - I quite like that.  Nice retro vibe without sounding contrived.
Ha!
I liked everything about the song except for the garbled keyboard part in the middle.

I sampled Now What and I thought it was terrible. This was much better.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I know a bloke who knows a bloke who knows a bloke who has a review copy of the Armored Saint Carpe Noctum release (unusually it is in full quality audio, so he says anyway) - catching up with said bloke tonight at my sister's 40th so guess who might have Armored Saint playing at their birthday ? :lol   Some bloke called bl5150 is in charge of the music   :yarr

EDIT:  Wow....it's not due for release until late Feb 2017 , so it's out there a lot earlier than I normally get to hear things (maybe a week or two before release)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 06:29:51 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That's a lot of blokes!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Let us know what you think asap Brent!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That's a lot of blokes!

We're very blokey in these parts .

Great little playlist we have up for my sis too -  she wanted some 80's pop but the playlist is mostly rock and includes Whitesnake, Gunners, Jovi, Europe, Aerosmith, Metallica, Scatterbrain, Def leppard, Journey, Gary Moore,Van Halen, Kiss , Skid Row, Cinderella, Roxus, Cheap Trick, Warrant, Extreme, Faith No More .........and Dream Theater  :metal   That's about as good as you'll get outside of a gathering of metalheads for a metal party :lol

It'll be one of those rare things - a party I actually want to be at and at which I don't feel like using ear plugs.

Let us know what you think asap Brent!

Will do.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 06:43:26 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That sounds like a great party!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm sure Ben will enjoy that!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm sure Ben will enjoy that!

Unfortunately it's a licensed venue , no kids  :-\   He would've been the life of the party.

Speaking of things that Ben won't be hearing - a nice new song from Steel Panther :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xss9gL4_ZI

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent I listened to that Steel Panther song. I really don't see any reason why Ben can't listen to that

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sounds kid friendly to me.

I'm surprised I managed to miss that. I follow their regular Youtube channel, but not the VEVO one, must have missed it on FB. Not bad.

Offline Kwyjibo

Great little playlist we have up for my sis too -  she wanted some 80's pop but the playlist is mostly rock and includes Whitesnake, Gunners, Jovi, Europe, Aerosmith, Metallica, Scatterbrain, Def leppard, Journey, Gary Moore,Van Halen, Kiss , Skid Row, Cinderella, Roxus, Cheap Trick, Warrant, Extreme, Faith No More .........and Dream Theater  :metal   That's about as good as you'll get outside of a gathering of metalheads for a metal party :lol

It'll be one of those rare things - a party I actually want to be at and at which I don't feel like using ear plugs.

Why is no-one throwing parties like these in my area?

Anyway have fun!!!

Offline Lepprador

Just listened to the Armored Saint live album. Is it just me, or is the mix way too bass heavy ?

Cool band and all, they're just a little bit inconsistent.
Every album has its wealthy share of very average tracks. But that's something they have in common with other favorite bands of mine.

Can someone explain me the reasoning why there are only 8 songs ?
Because "Saints Will Conquer" was short as well and it's their schtick ?
Or could they only afford to record one night and these 8 tracks were the only ones without major mistakes ?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just listened to the Armored Saint live album. Is it just me, or is the mix way too bass heavy ?

Perhaps a bit - possibly also a symptom of what I thought was a rhythm guitar sound lacking punch.  The rest sounded pretty good.

This is a hard one to rate so I will break it down.

Performances: 9/10 - Bush sounds great as per usual

Sound Quality : 8/10

Song Selection/Song Numbers: 6.5/10  - not enough of my faves and not enough songs full stop.

Overall maybe 8/10 but it's really better than that but for the markdown for the songs/length.   I thought the song Win Hands Down was better live than on the studio album too.

www.theguitardojo.com.au