Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909581 times)

Offline Lowdz

Just being tongue in cheek - like Blob said I can understand something being good and dated - but bland and good ?

FWIW I thought the Palace was very good and the Cruzh was shite.

:biggrin:
Yeah I took it how you meant it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Just being tongue in cheek - like Blob said I can understand something being good and dated - but bland and good ?

FWIW I thought the Palace was very good and the Cruzh was shite.

I get the Palace and the Cruzh confused. I remember them both sounding weak but listenable.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I think I have identified one thing that likely turned me off the Anthrax a bit .   Listening to Monster At The End right now - good song (if a little "modern metal") and the vocals and lead guitar sound great in the mix but the rhythm guitar (a signature of classic Anthrax) is buried and missing their classic "crunch".   

Funny how that works, I think it sounded just fine and the rhythm guitars were heavy and crunchy enough for my liking. And the new lead player is imo a large improvement over Rob Caggiano, whose solos were kinda just there. Not bad but not memorable either.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I didn't really notice the lead playing other than noting that he can play (that's good and bad :lol  ) and have never really associated Anthrax with great lead guitar anyway.   Kirk Hammett on the other hand - I notice him.       ;D                                                                                                                             
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 07:55:15 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Funnily enough I am now listening to a local band that sound a bit like Anthrax and their new release - blows For All Kings out of the fucking water  :metal    Will save it for the podcast and see how you guys think they compare.     This is exactly how I wanted Anthrax to sound.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
a few of the better 2016 albums for me that I don't think were mentioned were Sunburst, Death Angel, Almanac, Witherscape (heh), Omnium Gatherum (HA!), and Myrath.

Brent, go back to those first two Eternal Champion songs if you haven't already and see if one of them warrants a spot.

The Death Angel record was good, but nowhere near as good to me as Dream Calls for Blood. That, to me, is the band's finest record. But DA are such a great band.

As for the Anthrax record, it's good, but not as good as the previous one. I'm a bigger Bush-era Anthrax fan (although I like Belladonna stuff), and I really think the last two records...can't shake the feeling Bush would have sung it better. But admittedly, there's some bias in there.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Bush would be great in the current Anthrax. They seem a much more focused and truer band. Volume 8 has its moments and I just can't get into WCFYA. No life on that one. They really seemed to be searching for an identity during those years. That said I love the first two Bush era albums. Love them.

Sam, if I recall you're a big WCFYA guy. I actually spun it the other night and it still doesn't work for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Bush would be great in the current Anthrax. They seem a much more focused and truer band. Volume 8 has its moments and I just can't get into WCFYA. No life on that one. They really seemed to be searching for an identity during those years. That said I love the first two Bush era albums. Love them.

Sam, if I recall you're a big WCFYA guy. I actually spun it the other night and it still doesn't work for me.

I am. I love all the Bush-era records, pretty much equally. Hard for to explain why WCFYA resonates. It is brutally heavy, and yet extremely melodic. I've heard Joey say he doesn't know why Anthrax felt his voice wasn't good for all those Bush-era Anthrax CDs...yet, Joey sounds awful on a song like "Only." And after that first try at it, they've never done Bush-era Thrax with him again. There's just an edge to those tunes, that needs an edgier voice, which Belladonna doesn't have.

To be honest, I think the last two records with Belladonna have probably been a lot more difficult than the band has admitted. They clearly want to play more brutal metal, but they've had to soften it a bit to fit Joey's higher and more melodic voice, and frankly, his personality. Both Bush and Belladonna have great energy, but it comes off differently in the music, and live.

I've seen both guys front Anthrax, and it's an entirely different experience. And I can hear that difference, even if I can't describe it well, on the records.

It won't be long before the Anthrax guys approach Bush, and mend fences, and try to pull a Heaven and Hell -- rebranding the Bush-era Thrax, and going out on that music. It'll happen. They love those tunes, as does Bush.

Got off on a tangent, sorry. But I can't really explain my love for WCFYA. I love all those Bush-era records about equally. None are "perfect," but they all have a bunch of songs I think are just killer.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Alllllllllllrighty then.

You guys are making me feel like I've missed out so today is a Bush era Anthrax marathon  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Alllllllllllrighty then.

You guys are making me feel like I've missed out so today is a Bush era Anthrax marathon  ;D

You. Cannot kill. What doesn't die!  :metal

Offline Kwyjibo

Alllllllllllrighty then.

There are worse things one can do.  :metal

I think Bush was the better singer in Anthrax but Sounds Of White Noise wasn't very good and Volume 8 was very uneven. Stomp 442 and WCFYA are absolutely killer records.

That said I think Joey's voice has improved mightily on the last two records. Not so high and sometimes screechy as he was back then, now he has a more mature voice with much more volume and deepness, for lack of a better word. Suits those heavy songs much better.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Stomp 442 made The TAC Top 50. That album spoke directly to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I love WCFYA as well.  It might have a bit of filler and may have benefited from a couple less songs, but still great overall.

The only Bush-Anthrax album I couldn't get into was Volume 8.  The first three tunes are awesome, then it just seems to wander off and have no direction.  I've tried to get into it, but no dice.

Stomp 442 is awesome!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
When I discovered For All Kings earlier this year, I actually did go out and pick up Worship Music and a 2cd of WCFYA and TGOTE.  Worship Music was good but I kept going back to FAK at the time.  I had a listen to the two Bush ones and they didn't do much for me at the time, but might have to revisit them.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I think Joey has only sang "Only" from the Bush era.  Has anyone heard him sing anything else?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
I think Joey has only sang "Only" from the Bush era.  Has anyone heard him sing anything else?

Nope. That's the only one he's done with the band, as far as I know. And I follow Bush-era Anthrax news pretty closely.

There are a few he could so for sure, but I think it's telling that ever since "Only" dropped off the set, we've not seen another Bush track. I'm telling you. At some point they will get together with Bush under a new moniker. Charlie just has to have a sit down with Bush and apologize for some of the BS.

Offline Lowdz

I know you recommended this to me previously but it didn't do a thing for me. Other than Spreading The Disease and some (but nowhere near all) of Among, I've never been much of a fan. For All Kings is excellent though and a big part of why I like it is Joey. Very different voice from his classic days but excellent.
And yeah, they were never on my radar for lead playing.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I was watching a bit of the Dan Nelson era last night on youtube.  That was a strange transition from Bush-Joey-Bush-Joey with Dan in there for a bit.  You knew it was only a matter of time before he was replaced again with one or the other.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I know you recommended this to me previously but it didn't do a thing for me. Other than Spreading The Disease and some (but nowhere near all) of Among, I've never been much of a fan. For All Kings is excellent though and a big part of why I like it is Joey. Very different voice from his classic days but excellent.
And yeah, they were never on my radar for lead playing.

This basically sounds like my whole take on the band at the moment.  Need to listen to more though and give them more of a chance.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
jj - yeah, Dan Nelson...just no. Had some talent, but the band couldn't take yet another new vocalist. Such a weird footnote in the band;s history.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
jj - yeah, Dan Nelson...just no. Had some talent, but the band couldn't take yet another new vocalist. Such a weird footnote in the band;s history.

Watching the footage did seem weird.......it looked like he was ready to kick the shit out of anybody, including the other members of Anthrax

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Watching the footage did seem weird.......it looked like he was ready to kick the shit out of anybody, including the other members of Anthrax

To be fair , all their singers eventually want to kick the shit out of Anthrax.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Scott Ian I always thought looked like he needed a good punch in the face.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The only Bush-Anthrax album I couldn't get into was Volume 8.  The first three tunes are awesome, then it just seems to wander off and have no direction.   

That's a great description. Catharsis is one of my favorite Bush era tracks.

So true!

Actually, I stumbled upon this interview the other day. Almost posted it, but with the Anthrax talk I figure now's a good time.
John Bush is so freaking cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6wJQnzvO3M

Offline Kwyjibo

Anthrax and their singers is a long and complicated story and I don't blame Bush if he doesn't want anything to do with the guys. But it would be great nonetheless if they could pull it off.  :metal But please don't piss of Joey in the meantime.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Looking forward to this one...........hopefully they can match the debut.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You're optimistic posting that in this thread Brent.  I liked the last one a lot and have really been a fan of all three.  The lineup on this one is looking great too;

Lead Vocals - Michael Kiske
* Backing vocals - Dennis Ward, Michael Kiske // Additional Choirs on "Strong" by Alessandro Del Vecchio
* Bass - Dennis Ward
* Keyboards - Günter Werno
* Drums - Dirk Bruinenberg
* All Rhythm Guitars by Dennis Ward, except: "Welcome To The Edge", "Across The Times", "Close To The Sun", "Hearafter" - Rhythm Guitars by Uwe Reitenauer
* Guitar solo by Michael Klein on "Yesterday Is Gone", "Distant Skies", "Strong", "Breathing".
* Guitar solo by Uwe Reitenauer on "Close To the Sun"
* Guitar solo by Alfred Koffler on "Welcome To The Edge"
* Guitar solo by Magnus Karlsson on "Falling Star"
* Guitar solo by Gus G. on "Light Beyond The Dark"
* Guitar solo by Simone Mularoni on "Hearafter"
* Guitar solo by Mandy Meyer on "Helen"
* Guitar solo by Kai Hansen on "Riding The Ghost" and "Across The Times"

Of course the Frontiers puppet master had to get a look in too.  ::)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Plenty of Place Vendome would qualify as hard rock at the very least so I have no worries posting them here..................and Kiske  :metal  :D  That's one of the reasons I love that debut so much- you have stuff bordering on metal (Cross The Line, Sign Of The Times) right next to some great AOR.

Bloody Alessandro can GTFO  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, was just stirring, have no problem with them being here either.  The second album was pure AOR but the last one had a few more heavier moments which I enjoyed.  And with the likes of Gus G, Mularoni, Karlsson etc. seems like it could be a tad harder.  Songwriters seem interesting too; Karlsson, Mularoni, Olaf Thorsen, Fabio Lione, Aldo LoNobile....this could be good.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni

:hefdaddy

:rollin

Truer words...

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I was just listening to Skunkworks by Bruce Dickinson. When compared to masterpieces Wedding and Accident, this is pretty much an irrelevant album. But there are some excellent songs on it and I would say that it's an underrated gem for sure

Offline Lowdz

Yeah, was just stirring, have no problem with them being here either.  The second album was pure AOR but the last one had a few more heavier moments which I enjoyed.  And with the likes of Gus G, Mularoni, Karlsson etc. seems like it could be a tad harder.  Songwriters seem interesting too; Karlsson, Mularoni, Olaf Thorsen, Fabio Lione, Aldo LoNobile....this could be good.

I'm a fan of Dennis Ward. He needs to get back with a great PC 69 album though.

Offline Kwyjibo

I love the Skunkworks album, it was something different for Bruce and there are a lot of great songs on it, Space Race, Inertia, Solar Confinement, Inside The Machine, Strange Death etc.

I would actually rank it second best behind Chemical Wedding.