Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909527 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow..............biggest music news of 2016 right before Christmas.

NITRO are back together for a new album :2metal:   :)

Too bad it'll be too late for the Best of 2016.

Speaking of which........if you guys have any albums you want featured in the next podcast (Best of 2016)- only a thought bubble at this point - then now's the time to PM me or post here.  Any albums from 2016 that you love that aren't likely to be obvious to me would be awesome.   I am flying through my 2016 releases as best I can but there is so much music out there that it makes the 1988 task pale in comparison.

And yes.............Flotsam & Jestsam will be included whether we like it or not :lol
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 05:19:56 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
  And yes.............Flotsam & Jestsam will be included whether we like it or not :lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Nitro is the ultimate in helium metal!

Brent, I can only request you play "Light and Shade of Things" by Fates.  That song will not only be the top of 2016 for me, but will rank quite nicely all time as well.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Nitro is the ultimate in helium metal!

Those guys are hilarious ( even if they're not in on it )    I never knew what O.F.R. stood for until many years later (didn't get into it enough to hear the lyrics obviously) .  Out-fucking-rageous  :rollin

Brent, I can only request you play "Light and Shade of Things" by Fates. 

Done.

Well there goes the first hour - anyone want something for the second ?  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 06:14:30 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
wasn't Lita Ford married to the singer of Nitro at some point?.  Or maybe they still are

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
F&J. Anthrax. You're probably not an Avantasia guy but the Ghostlights title track is awesome and should help you reach the Kiske quota.

Megadeth, Testament, Innerwish, Lords Of Black, Monument, Sinbreed, Metallica, Mystic Prophecy, Enbound,  Plus live albums from Rainbow and Saxon. The Schenker live album blew though.

And don't forget The Astonishing!!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
F&J. Anthrax. You're probably not an Avantasia guy but the Ghostlights title track is awesome and should help you reach the Kiske quota.

Megadeth, Testament, Innerwish, Lords Of Black, Monument, Sinbreed, Metallica, Mystic Prophecy, Enbound,  Plus live albums from Rainbow and Saxon. The Schenker live album blew though.

And don't forget The Astonishing!!!!

I like most of those incl. Ghostlights .     I was trying to forget The Astonishing and now you've reminded me :lol

wasn't Lita Ford married to the singer of Nitro at some point?.  Or maybe they still are

Extremely messy split.   He's a few sandwiches short of a cut lunch (to say the least) and he was awarded custody of their kids so I hate to think what Lita Ford's like these days.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, you only have 68 songs from The Astonishing to choose from.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I really liked the Sinbreed, Innerwish, and Lords Of Black. They were pretty much under the radar, but all very enjoyable.

Oh, and can't forget Metal Church either. And Redemption. And Dream Theater. ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, you only have 68 songs from The Astonishing to choose from.

Tim wins - I will play The Hovering Sojourn at the end of the Fates track and that will even out to two regular songs in length.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Breathing Lightning by Anthrax should be included too!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Breathing Lightning by Anthrax should be included too!

Awesome tune. My fave on the album is Monster In The End. Love the Slayer style beginning.

Tim wins - I will play The Hovering Sojourn at the end of the Fates track and that will even out to two regular songs in length.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Some of my picks from this year;

Megadeth
Fates Warning
Primal Fear
Avantasia
Redemption
Be'lakor (hahaha, like that will be getting played)
Solution .45 (again hahahahaha)
Evergrey
Testament
Sunstorm
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh, and Theocracy!!!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
so the Armored Saint/Queensryche concert was last night and it was awesome.

Was that Dallas? If so, it is up on Dime. Sounds pretty good too!

yes indeed!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran

I've only listened through once so far, but I seem to recall a track or two that didn't have any growls.  Maybe I'm misremembering?
Winger would be better!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I've only listened through once so far, but I seem to recall a track or two that didn't have any growls.  Maybe I'm misremembering?

Solution .25! ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone here except me seems to love the Anthrax (only had one listen) , so will revisit.   I thought it was okay but that's about it after that initial listen.  I think for bands like Anthrax and Metallica I would play a track whether I like them or not - releases from those bands are an event regardless.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Everyone here except me seems to love the Anthrax (only had one listen) , so will revisit.   I think for bands like Anthrax and Metallica I would play a track whether I like them or not - releases from those bands are an event regardless.

The Anthrax is really good, as was Worship Music. The worst song on For All Kings was the first one, so if you started there (naturally), it doesn't properly represent the awesomeness of the whole album.

And the Metallica is just fine.

Brent, I can only request you play "Light and Shade of Things" by Fates.  That song will not only be the top of 2016 for me, but will rank quite nicely all time as well.

Just spun this track. So awesome!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I also need to revisit Metallica (still their best since TBA for mine) and check the rating but any album like this where there is 3-4 "meh" songs makes it hard for me to rate it highly , even though I may love half the album. 

Consistency is the key and that's where (IMHO) bands like Megadeth and Fates have it over Anthrax and Metallica in terms of their most recent efforts.

And when I said I would "play a track" I meant in the podcast , not that I stopped listening after one track :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I should also try and give the Metallica a good shot, but I just haven't been able to get into anything Metallica related since TBA.  I thought Death Magnetic was pretty good, but it wasn't something that I went out of my way to listen to. 

The Ronnie James Medley is probably my favorite thing Metallica has done since TBA.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I was over the Metallica album almost instantly. It has very little to offer worth a relisten. Even DM was sadly much better overall, and it doesn't come close to anything else (except maybe St Anger, but I'm honestly undecided on that).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I was over the Metallica album almost instantly. It has very little to offer worth a relisten. Even DM was sadly much better overall, and it doesn't come close to anything else (except maybe St Anger, but I'm honestly undecided on that).

Yeah..........I liked parts of the Metallica but certainly wasn't in a rush to replay.   Having said that I didn't piss myself laughing like I did the first time I heard the sound of St Anger  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I've never actually listened to St Anger in its entirety, but all the songs I've heard didn't do much for me.

Do you think the new one would have benefited from being condensed into one disc?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
If I could drop the 3 tracks that I rate lowest then it would make a big difference , so yeah I suppose so.

There were some cool funnies doing the rounds about St Anger.   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Yeah..........I liked parts of the Metallica but certainly wasn't in a rush to replay.   Having said that I didn't piss myself laughing like I did the first time I heard the sound of St Anger  ;D

Your avatar sums up my reaction to St Anger quite well. :lol
I was still in the denial phase when St Anger came out. First was the lead single, and I was like "well maybe the rest of the album will be better". Then they played half of the album on the radio and I still thought "maybe they're saving the best tracks". Then I heard the album and thought " but maybe they sound better on the live disc with better sound". Eventually reality sunk in. :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
a few of the better 2016 albums for me that I don't think were mentioned were Sunburst, Death Angel, Almanac, Witherscape (heh), Omnium Gatherum (HA!), and Myrath.

Brent, go back to those first two Eternal Champion songs if you haven't already and see if one of them warrants a spot.
Winger would be better!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Brent, listen to Anthrax again, my first reaction was very meh but it grew mightily over time, one of the top ten records in 2016, maybe even top 3.

The new Metallica would vastly improve if it was shorter, ditch some songs and on others cut out a verse and/or a chorus repeat and it would be more concise. And one thing that St. Anger has in its favor, it has no Kirk Hammett faking to play lead guitar. I'm probably unfair and biased but I find his playing on Hardwired just atrocious. Normally I don't care for uninteresting guitar solos, but for whatever reason those really annoy me.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

a few of the better 2016 albums for me that I don't think were mentioned were Sunburst, Death Angel, Almanac, Witherscape (heh), Omnium Gatherum (HA!), and Myrath.

Brent, go back to those first two Eternal Champion songs if you haven't already and see if one of them warrants a spot.

I've tried the Eternal Champion and found it bland and dated, and not in a good way  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
What's an example of something that is bland and dated in a good way Paul?  :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Things can be dated in the good way, but bland is timeless. :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Still haven't listened to the Metallica.  Heard a couple of songs and not in any rush but will get around to it.  I think I'll lean towards Blob's opinion though, doesn't seem like there is much to offer.

I really like St Anger too...... :blush
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I have identified one thing that likely turned me off the Anthrax a bit .   Listening to Monster At The End right now - good song (if a little "modern metal") and the vocals and lead guitar sound great in the mix but the rhythm guitar (a signature of classic Anthrax) is buried and missing their classic "crunch".   

On to the title track now and the pre-chorus and chorus feels real flat to me.

Breathing Lightning is a bit more like it - and my favourite track first time around - but again the rhythm guitar sound is pissweak (in parts at least) compared to what I associate with Anthrax.

Blood Eagle Wings is another good song with the rhythm guitar buried - geez.

Decent album for sure but I think I'll be sticking with my rating around high 70's  (EDIT - call it 83% after my second listen)  but for me it's not in the same ballpark as Dystopia.  Feels a bit lifeless/"unheavy" to me too which may be more to do with the production than the songs in the end.  Will keep listening though and see how we go.

I still need to give the Bush era a proper go too.   Massive Armored Saint fan but I never really felt the need to explore his Anthrax work based on the few songs I heard.   Spreading The Disease is where Anthrax connected with me - and huge - but they never managed to repeat that for me.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 07:55:45 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

What's an example of something that is bland and dated in a good way Paul?  :)

That Palace album recently, maybe the Cruzh and High Spirits?

Nothing outstanding, could have come out in the 80s but not terrible.  :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just being tongue in cheek - like Blob said I can understand something being good and dated - but bland and good ?

FWIW I thought the Palace was very good and the Cruzh was shite.

www.theguitardojo.com.au