Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909912 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
John Bush is ridiculous. Period.

YES!  So much energy.

He told a story from when he was in Anthrax and they made a tour stop in Dallas with Pantera back in the day.  After the Anthrax set, Dimebag and Vinnie came out and wanted to play a song with Anthrax, but it wasn't a Pantera or Anthrax song, it was Can U Deliver.  Of course right after the story the band went right into that song and killed it.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That's awesome Hath!

John Bush is ridiculous. Period. And Gonzo was the heaviest drummer I've ever seen. His playing shook my whole body.

The recent Queensryche gig down here was great too.   I don't think Armored Saint have ever toured Australia  :-\

EDIT  Well bloody hell - they toured in 2009 with Death Angel   >:(     Any vids of your body shaking Tim , so I can see what I missed? :D

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 07:13:17 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Words cannot express how much I love Armored Saint.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

I think you just did  :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
One more thing about the Apollo album - which I liked even more on the second listen.

As per many albums these days it is a track or two too long , but the last track was a bad idea I think.    You've just produced a really good album with fine vocals , so what do you do to finish?    Cover a Phenomena song from the mighty Ray Gillen and show us that maybe you're not that amazing after all :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.

Ditto.

Hath -- glad you dug the show. I went to my local gig, and managed to catch two songs of Midnight Eternal, and then of course, the mighty ARMORED SAINT. John Bush is my favorite frontman (not singer, frontman), and that band -- SO. MUCH. ENERGY. I've seen them twice in support now of their last album, Win Hands Down. Both times it was opening -- first for Saxon (who I didn't stay for, not a fan), and now for QR (which I also didn't stay for). I had a ticket to see them headline with Metal Church opening earlier this year, and my wife ended up going. Win Hands Down is probably the best of theirs since the classic Symbol of Salvation. Just so good. Really dig it.

As for QR, I'm not really big on current QR. But this is the first tour leg they've done since hiring La Torre where they properly supported their new record at a headline show (playing more than one or two songs). So I am happy they are finally playing four songs from it. Clips I've heard have sounded pretty good. La Torre is pretty good on the early QR stuff. Not so much to my ears on some of the Mindcrime, Empire, and PL stuff. His voice is thinner than Tate's, and it shows on those prime-era classic QR songs. But it sounds like he's been singing fairly well on this tour leg, which is great for fans.

Getting back to John Bush and Armored Saint -- just such a great metal band. I even prefer Bush era Anthrax over Belladonna era (and I like Belladonna). John Bush is just the man.

Now, if only he and the Anthrax guys would pull a Dio-era Sabbath, re-christen themselves, and go out and play all that Bush-era Anthrax...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni

Saint mixed in 3 or 4 new songs with a list of classics.  Tribal Dance, Reign of Fire, In An Instant, Aftermath, Can U Deliver, and March of the Saint were standouts.  Wish I could have seen Last Train Home and Chemical Euphoria, but they mixed in a song or two I don't think they've played this tour yet like Mad House.  Joey Vera is fun to watch live.

Weird. At my gig earlier this month, they did play Last Train Home and Chemical Euphoria. But I didn't get Tribal Dance, In An Instant, or Aftermath. My show was cut short by two songs though, because their bus broke down. so that may have been why. I have some vids I need to upload (I have to start a YouTube channel), and Last Train Home is one of the ones I recorded. I try and do one or two from each band I see, without being obnoxious to the folks around me.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
yeah, I had been monitoring their playlists this tour to put a "mix tape" together for my wife to get her familiarized with their music.  Last Train Home and Chemical Euphoria had made just about every show I had looked at.  Oh well, it was a great set just the same.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I can see Anthrax getting back with Bush in some capacity and doing a reunion. Just like the Dio Heaven & Hell band. Bush has one of my favourite voices and it just is one of the defining metal voices, just awesome.

I would still take Bush in Armored Saint over Anthrax any day though.

Both La Raza and Win Hands Down are growers. Neither one blew me over upon first couple of listens, but upon a few listens they are definitely major winners.

I think that's why the upcoming live Armored Saint is a letdown from the setlist point of view. I was hoping for a lot of newer songs on the disc, a double live album would have been perfect. Still, 8 songs is a bit of a head scratcher.

But it's still all good, Armored Saint kicks ass and they are without question, one of, if not the most underrated heavy metal band of all time.

And was actually just listening to Greater of Two Evils by Anthrax. That's one of my favorite releases from Anthrax and Bush just adds a tough edge to the songs
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 11:22:40 PM by jjrock88 »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
One more thing about the Apollo album - which I liked even more on the second listen.

As per many albums these days it is a track or two too long , but the last track was a bad idea I think.    You've just produced a really good album with fine vocals , so what do you do to finish?    Cover a Phenomena song from the mighty Ray Gillen and show us that maybe you're not that amazing after all :lol

I hate when cover songs are the last track.  Although the Find Me comes to mind with a nice Kenny Loggins cover.

Might have to check the Apollo out from what your opinions are Brent.  I heard one song and wrote it off.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm pretty sure that I wasn't rapt in the first song I heard either - hence my comment about "better than expected".   It's certainly not in my top few of the year or anything particularly original, but it's got enough about it to have it well above most of the usual suspects that release the same stuff over and over.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Good album. I was pleased with it. Wasn't xpecting much either.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So, 2016 was a great year. But one album that seems to have flown under the radar, maybe because it was released way back in January is Megadeth's Dystopia. For weeks, I've been meaning to spin it and finally did so today for the first time in a while.

Just want to restate how awesome this album is. It seems like Dave was less intent on delivering hooks and more intent on bringing the  :metal. This has an Old School feel, and by Old School, I'm thinking Killing or Peace Sells. The riffage is fantastic, and Chris Adler and Kiko Whateverhisnameis both give amazing performances. This album is so much stronger than the previous two.

And say what you want about Dave Mustaine. He is a survivor and has (not so) quietly put together one of the best All Time Heavy Metal Discographies.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
I think Dystopia was Megadeth's finest record since Endgame. Endgame was awesome except for that horrendous ballad he put on there to his wife. Still don't get that one.

But yeah, Dystopia was incredible. Kiko very much inspired him to be a better player, that's for sure, and Dave brought it. Megadeth has some bad clunkers in the overall discography (Risk is terrible, Thirteen isn't that good, and is pretty much a solo project Dave wrote with the producer, and Super Collider was awful except for a couple of tracks). But Dystopia really sort of revives that thrash metal inner soul of the band, and I was glad to hear it.

Dave's voice is shot, and I really don't wanna see them live, as they tune down all the old songs. But the new record is stellar. Hopefully, Megadeth can put out another couple of killer thrashy records that still break some new ground for the band, before calling it a day.

Dystopia was released this year? Could have sworn it was last year. But you're probably right. My two favorite records this year are Fates Warning and Megadeth...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, Brian, I was curious for your thoughts. You've been missed on things like this. It was released on January 22nd, same day as The Astonishing.

I think Dave likes to experiment a little, but when he's intent on bringing the metal, he delivers. I also loved Endgame, which like RiP, has a great balance of hooks and chunk.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Fates Warning is the clear winner for me for album of the year.  I still can't get enough of that disc and it easily is up there with Perfect Symmetry, Parallels, and Inside Out, which were my clear three favorites from the band.

I can play Seven Stars and Light and Shade of Things on loop all day and not get tired of those two songs.

I still never checked out the new Megadeth, I should probably do that.  The last new Megadeth I heard was End Game, which I thought was very good.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Jason, Endgame was awesome. I agree. Dystopia is a total thrash fest. If you like the early albums, you should like Dystopia.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Dystopia and Theories will no doubt feature prominently in my best of 2016 -  Metallica not so much as it's a bit up and down.    Dystopia is so consistent and bringing in Kiko Whatshisface was a smart move.   I have barely listened to it since the first few days but it's one of the few albums from early in the year that I remember well.

I dropped off them pretty quick after Countdown and really hadn't kept up with recent Megadave until someone (Tim I think) insisted that I check out Endgame and yeah - that's great too.   As a discography I think I would place it above Metallica's , even though it has more than it's fair share of clunkers.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
I think Metallica's first four records, in comparison to Megadeth's first four records, are superior. And that is saying something, given Peace Sells and Rust in Peace. I think some songs on those two records are superior to the songs on the Metallica records (Lightning, Justice), but overall, as albums, the Met 4 vs. the Megs. 4, are superior.

That changed for me with Countdown. i thought from them on, Megadeth was the better band. Countdown destroyed the Black record, and Youthanasia was superior to Load, Cryptic is better than Re-Load.

After that, Metallica wasn't heard from again until 2003 with St. Anger, but Megs had already done the piss poor Risk, and then the started their own climb back to greatness. I thought 2004's The System Has Failed was far superior to anything Metallica did post-2003.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
. I thought 2004's The System Has Failed was far superior to anything Metallica did post-2003.

System rekindled my interest in Megadeth, after I basically gave up on them when Youthanasia came out.  I have long since reconciled with Youthanasia.

I actually thought Countdown and TBA was a push. I wasn't in love with either and considered each to be low points (at the time) in each band's discography.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Speaking of Armored Saint, I'm sure mostly everyone has seen this. Popped up on my YouTube shuffle. This was the tour that convinced me. It's the '87 MTV show broadcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oshCge5Ppn4

Dave Prichard :hefdaddy
Plays a sweet solo in Chemical Euphoria at the 14:50 mark. Such a shame he had less than two and a half years to live. He was totally cool.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Dystopia is up there for the best of 2016 for sure, great record. I think I'm one of the few that really liked Super Collider, so I'm not that surprised that Megadave can still turn out good songs.

For me Megadeth is far superior to Metallica, maybe/probably Metallica are more influential but on the whole I like Megadeth so much more. And after they did some clunkers (Risk, The World Needs A Hero), they came to back with The System Has Failed and kept that level for most of their records since then. Metallica never delivered again after Load (at least for me). And Dave is a far better guitar player than Kirk  :biggrin:

That said, what are your opinions on the new Metallica? I know there's a Metallica thread but there's a little bit too much fanboy talk at the moment for me.

I didn't really expect much and I find the final product to be very mediocre, not St. Anger level bad but really nothing special. Most of the songs are still too long, the guitar solos are annoying, there's still no distinguishable bass to be heard, the kick drum sounds like shit. Some songs are nice but on the whole sound mostly uninspired. But then I never was that big of a Metallica fan and maybe I'm too critical.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I would drop a few songs from the Metallica , but then some of my least favourite seem to be everyone else's faves  (Dream No More for example).    I think it's a better album than I expected but nowhere near as consistent as some of their peers.

And Dave is a far better guitar player than Kirk  :biggrin:

That's like saying that having your fingernails pulled is far better than waterboarding.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Nah, I'm serious, Dave is a killer rhythm player and I find his solos quite enjoyable. Kirk on the other hand hasn't really vowed me from the start and now he's just so predictable and annoying in his playing.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Nah, I'm serious, Dave is a killer rhythm player and I find his solos quite enjoyable. Kirk on the other hand hasn't really vowed me from the start and now he's just so predictable and annoying in his playing.

I was only half serious and was referring to lead only.......I don't rate either of them.   Dave is a very good rhythm player - no argument there.

I remember watching Dave play lead with the symphony orchestra and admiring the players in the orchestra for keeping their shit together.  Truly the destruction of a symphony.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 03:03:10 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So, 2016 was a great year. But one album that seems to have flown under the radar, maybe because it was released way back in January is Megadeth's Dystopia.

Not for me.  I love it and spin it regularly and have since it has been released.  Definitely one of the best of the year, along with Theories.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Awesome! It just hasn't come up a lot in conversation over the past year.

Offline Lowdz

I liked Dystopia even with Dave's reduced vocal ability. He used to sound like a stroppy teenager n his room, raging about how unfair life was with his parents and now he's the old man grumbling about the youth of today  :biggrin:
Top 10 of the year for sure.

Offline Lepprador

Dystopia...compared to Super Collider and 13 it is outstanding, compared to Peace Sells and RIP and even Youthanasia not so much. I really wanted to like it, but it somehow left me cold.

Theories Of Flight on the other hand...still my aoty.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mustaine v. Hammett

To me, Mustaine is the superior lead player. No argument. Hammett is no slouch, but Dave has this...this angry sound when he solos that is all in his fingers. Kirk...I don't want to pile on the decades-old argument about the wah pedal, but it has become a crutch for a guy who doesn't need one. Kirk is a great player, but he does lack the attitude in his playing that Dave has. I like both, but I'd take Mustaine as a player every time.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Drove past JJ on the highway today  (R FLAIR)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Woooooooooooooooooooooo!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Jason is in Oz?  :metal

Oh, and Kirk plays like a fancy boy who is afraid of getting blisters on his fingers.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I was going to surprise you guys but the licence plate always gives me away!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
so the Armored Saint/Queensryche concert was last night and it was awesome.

Was that Dallas? If so, it is up on Dime. Sounds pretty good too!