Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909940 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I would actually say that Sacred Heart may be my fav Dio album.

It's not mine but it's up there. Never got the love for Lock Up the Wolves. Start of his fall from grace there. Nothing after Dream Evil got close to Sacred Heart.

I just think Dio set the bar so high with Holy Diver and Last in Line, it was impossible to match those. Sacred Heart is a drop but the first half of the album is right there with the first two. Dream Evil and Wolves are good, but definitely have filler; especially Wolves. The album is a bit longer then is should have been.

Strange Highways is another drop off and Angry Machines is a very big drop off. I've tried to get into Angry Machines many times and the best I can rank it is decent, just like Magica

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Angry Machine blows. Strange Highways has some awesome tunes on it though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Its tough for me to say that something Dio is a part of sucks, but Angry Machines might be the one exception.  I rank it at the absolute bottom of all albums that Ronnie is apart of (not including Elf, which I only listened to briefly, but knew I wouldn't like it and wouldn't buy any of the albums).

Strange Highways definitely has some great tunes; I think the two standouts for me are the title track and Bring Down the Rain.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Speaking of old pictures, Brent, the pics in the Kerrangs are amazing. A lot of the band shots are so spontaneous and not posed. I cannot believe how young these bands look.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I would actually say that Sacred Heart may be my fav Dio album.

It's not mine but it's up there. Never got the love for Lock Up the Wolves. Start of his fall from grace there. Nothing after Dream Evil got close to Sacred Heart.

I'm with you there Paul.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Speaking of old pictures, Brent, the pics in the Kerrangs are amazing. A lot of the band shots are so spontaneous and not posed. I cannot believe how young these bands look.

yeah - some great pics in there and mostly stuff I haven't seen before as I really wasn't into mags until the late 80's (my mid teens) for the most part.

Just checked out the 2016 release from a band I know you like Tim..................Hangar.   Bloody awful - in fact , to coin a phrase , it blows :lol

Curious to know your thoughts if you have heard it.   I like some of their stuff for sure but this album (and new singer) just don't cut it IMHO.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I haven't actually.

- in fact , to coin a phrase , it blows :lol

:lol

EDIT: Just checked out the first 3 songs. I swear I checked Spotify a couple of weeks ago for it. Not sure when it was put up.

I'll agree with you on the vocalist. He just doesn't fit. But musically, it's pretty damned good. I'll probably get this, but I can't until Christmas.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 07:48:50 PM by TAC »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't actually.

- in fact , to coin a phrase , it blows :lol

EDIT: Just checked out the first 3 songs. I swear I checked Spotify a couple of weeks ago for it. Not sure when it was put up.

I'll agree with you on the vocalist. He just doesn't fit. But musically, it's pretty damned good. I'll probably get this, but I can't until Christmas.

The first three contained the only 2 songs I liked .....the rest of the album is where it's at (for the crap)  :biggrin:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm jumping around on it now. One issue is that I feel like the guitars are tuned down to the singer. That may be part of the problem. Some great musicianship though.

I'll give it a couple of listens. The vocalist is not jiving. The band is awesome though. Would be better as an instrumental album. The Silence Of Innocent is pretty awesome.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Fair enough _ I even thought the music was lifeless , especially for guys like Priester.   Something very flat about most of the album for me.   I will take your opinion on board though and upgrade my rating from "blows" to "sucks"   ;D

Currently listening to this............

Tracklist
1. Prologue
2. This Time It’s Serious
3. The Fellowship of The Tower
4. Interlude: The Blacklord Raises an Army
5. The Knights of He Who Shan’t Be Named (Samalcock)
6. The Power of Fire
7. Beware the Dragonchicken
8. Lament for the Dragonchicken
9. The Swordsman of Outspoken Misc
10. Twelve Minutes Long
11. Fight for The Tower
12. And Back Again
13. Epilogue

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
  I will take your opinion on board though and upgrade my rating from "blows" to "sucks"   ;D

Get it right! :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hmmm....Gamma Ray drummer Michael Ehré and good old Henjo Ricther have formed a band for an early 2017 album release.  Could be interesting, especially if Henjo handles songwriting.

Offline Lowdz

I remember seeing a picture of Biff Buford standing with a cup of tea watching his wife (who had her arm in plaster) washing the car  :biggrin: not sure if it was Kerrang, metal hammer or raw though.

But yeah, how young they all were. Me too I think  :lol

« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 06:27:12 AM by Lowdz »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just finished the podcast, and I cannot believe Flotsam & Jetsam was skipped. Next time, just have Ben pick ALL of the songs!
Jeesh.

From what I remember of the last couple listening sessions..

The Rage song was wicked. Earlier Sacred Warrior was better. For what is was, the Pseudo Echo tune was pretty good. Much better than the Cheap Trick or the Night Gay-nger. The Freidman was fantastic.
Some good stuff that I had never heard of before. Your research, Brent, was impressive.

Still, no Flotsam was a crime.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I will revisit the Flotsam album just for you Tim........I looked at what I rated it a couple of years back and didn't think it was worth revisiting (massive upgrade required).     I have actually tried to like them based on your recommendation - and I don't normally bother if something doesn't connect fairly quick - but they just never grabbed me enough to want repeat listens

One thing I admire them for is , unlike so many bands (especially these days) , they have their own style/sound and for that I give them props.  But their quirky ,messy style of songwriting is something I have always struggled with.   I listen to it and want to like it because of its originality , but just can't seem to.    Voivod was another I can see the attraction to but just never want to hear the songs again.

I did like a few songs on their latest release but the Skip button was in use a bit.

As far as what makes the cut for a hard rock/metal radio show , I am sure that we all have ideas on what qualifies.   I try and keep it pretty simple.   If the softer song is from an album that has heavier songs and the band would be classified as hard rock or metal by the majority of a room full of of rock/metal fans then I am happy to feature it.   I don't see any issue with Nothing Else Matters on a rock/metal show and would apply the same rule to wimpy tracks from Cheap Trick or Night Ranger - bands who I reckon most would have no issue calling "hard rock".   That's where I see the difference between those songs and songs from Psuedo Echo or Chicago.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 08:06:50 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Flotsam and Jetsom never did anything for me. It's ok, but not really my thing. I wasn't into thrash at all at the time, other than Anthrax's Spreading the Disease and Megadeth's RIP (and I only liked half of that).
I've been a lot more ready to give the heavier stuff a go in recent years but F&J don't cut it. Like a lot of thrash it sounds amateurish to me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
One thing I admire them for is , unlike so many bands (especially these days) , they have their own style/sound and for that I give them props.  But their quirky ,messy style of songwriting is something I have always struggled with.   I listen to it and want to like it because of its originality , but just can't seem to. 

That makes sense. You use the term quirky. At their best, they were kind of quirky. I'm a huge fan of the classic era of their original 6 albums from '85-'97. But the two standouts are No Place For Disgrace ('88) and When The Storm Comes Down ('90). They are the two albums that feature Troy Gregory on bass and his influence is clear. They were never the same after he left. With him, they had some real personality in their music. Of the half dozen albums or so after '97, they have had some lineup changes, and I'm not a fan of most of these albums. But their latest album is rooted in the two classic albums I mentioned so it really appeals to me. It has that feel. Take a song off the new album like Life Is A Mess (a finalist for TAC Track Of The Year). Easily could've come off one of those albums.

With all of the barrel scraping for the '88 podcast, I figured we could crack the top 120 and find a spot for one of the many great tracks from No Place..The title track, Dream Of Death, Escape From Within, I Live You Die, Misguided Fortune, PAAB.

Anyway, thank you for all of your hard work and research for the mammoth '88 project. It is truly appreciated.  :hefdaddy

But the best part goes to Ben, "YOU'RE SUCH A LIAR!!" :rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Flotsam and Jetsom never did anything for me. It's ok, but not really my thing. I wasn't into thrash at all at the time, other than Anthrax's Spreading the Disease and Megadeth's RIP (and I only liked half of that).
I've been a lot more ready to give the heavier stuff a go in recent years but F&J don't cut it. Like a lot of thrash it sounds amateurish to me.

Amateurish.. I'm thinking about this term, and I think I can see it. Their was something amateurish about them. Seeing them live in those early years was really like watching a band play in their garage. But F&J, to me, just had something fresh about them. They stood out to me.
I preferred them back then easily over Testament, which felt one dimensional.

One thing F&J never had going for them was having a great soloist on guitar. I think that ultimately hurt their appeal.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Take a song off the new album like Life Is A Mess (a finalist for TAC Track Of The Year).

I quite liked that song

one of the many great tracks from No Place..The title track, Dream Of Death, Escape From Within, I Live You Die, Misguided Fortune, PAAB.

Going off my old song ratings the only one of those I liked was I Live You Die

With all of the barrel scraping for the '88 podcast

Everyone seems to think I scraped different parts of the barrel , so job done  ;D

Anyway, thank you for all of your hard work and research for the mammoth '88 project. It is truly appreciated.  :hefdaddy

But the best part goes to Ben, "YOU'RE SUCH A LIAR!!" :rollin

No worries.   Ben may well be suspended for the next podcast - it's before a tribunal :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Take a song off the new album like Life Is A Mess (a finalist for TAC Track Of The Year).

I quite liked that song

Good. Hopefully it makes the 2016 Wrap Up.

Going off my old song ratings the only one of those I liked was I Live You Die

Throw old TAC a bone and get it on the next regular podcast. :)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The Armored Saint live album will have 8 tracks - didn't notice that in the initial press releases.   :-\

01. Win Hands Down
02. March Of The Saint
03. Stricken By Fate
04. Last Train Home
05. Mess
06. Aftermath
07. Left Hook From Right Field
08. Reign Of Fire

Hard to do justice to a catalogue with 8 songs.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Geez, that's disappointing.  Similar to Saints Will Conquer, which is still amazing. I'll still get it though.

EDIT: Here's a clip of Aftermath.
https://bravewords.com/news/armored-saint-aftermath-live-video-streaming

This song just isn't right without Dave. This was a tour de force for him.

But holy hell JOHN BUSH!!! :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 07:03:26 PM by TAC »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
8 songs is still better then nothing, but c'mon, that seems a little greasy.  They must have taped many more songs then that.  Oh well, Armored Saint still kicks ass.

Offline Lowdz

Were they the support act, or headlining? That's a shit return if they were headlining.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Some vids of this Trinity thing;

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/geoff-tate-blaze-bayley-and-tim-ripper-owens-kick-off-trinity-tour-in-falls-church-virginia-video/

Shitty lineup and only the one song with all three seems strange.

Only checked out the Trooper and Bayley sounds alright.  Things could have been pretty good for him if Steve just tuned the old songs down live for him.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I was expecting to see alot more songs with all three singing together, I thought that was the purpose of this tour.

I can't believe Tate is playing that piece of junk Stranger song.

I would still go see this live if it rolled through Winnipeg, but not likely to happen.  "Stranger" time would be piss break time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I can't believe Tate is playing that piece of junk Stranger song.

"Stranger" time would be piss break time.

:rollin

Yeah, only the one song with the three of them is stupid.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
When I saw QR on the OM 1&2 tour , the whole of OM2 was one jumbo piss break .  I went and got some Maccas and came back for the encore :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
When I saw QR on the OM 1&2 tour , the whole of OM2 was one jumbo piss break .  I went and got some Maccas and came back for the encore :lol

You must have been taking a piss like Ogre in Revenge of the Nerds 2 lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

In all seriousness though, I saw that show too and even though I watched the whole thing, it was really amazing the difference between the two Mindcrime sets.  The Mindcrime 2 set simply had no business standing next to OM1.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

In all seriousness though, I saw that show too and even though I watched the whole thing, it was really amazing the difference between the two Mindcrime sets.  The Mindcrime 2 set simply had no business standing next to OM1.

It really was Operation Livecrime. :neverusethis:

And that operation has been ongoing ever since for Geoffrey .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
What did you think of the new Morse Cd Paul ? - I saw you mentioned it in the album thread a few days back.

I am 3/4 of the way through and really struggling to get to the end.   I would say I enjoyed half a dozen tracks , which ain't great from 23.   I have zero interest in the concept , but (based on reviews) I was hoping the music would stand on its own. Not for me I am afraid - the sort of prog that bores me and just reinforces my prior inability to get into his material and see the songwriting brilliance that everyone else seems to see.  :-\

The pre-release song So Far Gone convinced me to give it a go , but that was easily my favourite.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

What did you think of the new Morse Cd Paul ? - I saw you mentioned it in the album thread a few days back.

I am 3/4 of the way through and really struggling to get to the end.   I would say I enjoyed half a dozen tracks , which ain't great from 23.   I have zero interest in the concept , but (based on reviews) I was hoping the music would stand on its own. Not for me I am afraid - the sort of prog that bores me and just reinforces my prior inability to get into his material and see the songwriting brilliance that everyone else seems to see.  :-\

The pre-release song So Far Gone convinced me to give it a go , but that was easily my favourite.

Well, NM certainly has a style. I have no interest in the story either and having googled the synopsis of the original story I have even less.
Saying that, I like NM's music Nd enjoyed that he's got a petrucci style shredder on board. I played it in the car and enjoyed it well enough but that was over several journeys and not one long slog.
I thought it was ok.
Thought the heavier bits were a bit forced.

I won't feel the need to play the whole thing in one go.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
At one point, I could've worn a different Maiden shirt everyday for a month. Seriously.

I know I am bringing back up a post from a bunch of pages back, but this is awesome.

:rollin

Looking forward to joining in the fun. I have some Queensryche stuff to post, some Fifth Angel, but that's about it in regard to classic metal.

Speaking of little Seattle cult metal band Fifth Angel -- fans may be surprised to know they have reunited with drummer Ken Mary and will gig next year with vocalist Peter Orullian (who fronted them in 2010 at Keep it True in Germany). And while I don't know the state of the new demos, I know there was a ton of material from 2010 that Ed Archer and the other guys were working on. So could be new tunes too. So if you dug those guys, stay tuned next year.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Fifth Angel is just classic metal all the way.  It's a shame that they only released those two albums and never made a dent in the music world.  Lots of talent and I love those two discs.

I think Ted Pilot got into dentistry, but it would be interesting to see if he still has the pipes.  Regardless, new music with the new singer would still be awesome.  I saw footage of them playing in 2010 and they sounded great.