Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 910001 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
WINGER WAS BETTER THAN THAT!!!!!!

That could be said about most bands.  :tup
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

:lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

:tup

As far as the Night Ranger goes I thought that album (Man In Motion) was really missing something with the songwriting and rated it high 70's...............seems to be a well rated album though by many.   While I did say that the ballad was my favourite on the album (I don't think it's thaaaaaat bad) , in the end that's not saying much.   Most of the other songs I find poorly written and that wasn't the case with their early albums.   in the end the only Night Ranger albums that I really rate are Dawn patrol, Midnight Madness and maybe Feeding Off The Mojo ("maybe" because many don't consider it a real NR album)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Nah, it's cool Brent. It made an impact on you back then, and that's what it's about.
But my word. There's no way the Chicago tune could've been worse.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

The RATT album was a poor one but I don't mind that song, there's not much better on RFTS.

Not got to the Night Ranger yet but I was never a big fan beyond the hits. Same with Cheap Trick but I love The Flame.

Black n Blue were an excellent band but this album wasn't as strong as the previous two. It was ok though. You played a great track though. Fiiiiiirrrrrrre

I enjoyed the Loudness track. Hadn't heard that before. I've got thunder in the east and lightning strikes, plus Soldier of Fortune.

Offline Lowdz

I liked that Drive track, never heard of them. Will sample some more on YT and might be purchase worthy.

Brighton Rock were a good band. Vixen were ok too but I have hard time with female guitarists. It's just not right. Saw them supporting someone back in the day. Edit - quick check of google says it was Deep Purple.

Free Like An Eagle is the only track I've heard by Talk of the Town. what's the rest of the album like? I guess a bit patchy as it didn't make the first podcast.

Ah, up to the Night Ranger. It's ok, not their best but certainly not the worst thing ever as TAC says, but I bet it was too soft for Ben! Compared to the majority of Frontiers' recent stuff it's a masterpiece.

Screamer - agree with Brent on the singer. I liked it but wouldn't want to listen to a full album of that shrieking. Very pitchy.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 11:24:22 AM by Lowdz »

Offline Lowdz

I bought the Greg Howe album but didn't rate it. Too jazzy for me at the time as I was into the neo classical thing. I love it now. Great player.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I don't remember The Flame being that bad. It has not aged well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't remember The Flame being that bad. It has not aged well.

I'm with Brent, I always liked that song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I don't remember minding it when it came out. Maybe it just felt out of place on a DTF Podcast. I just don't think it has aged well. It sounded really wimpy. Of course it was thrash metal compared to the Night Ranger tune! ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Having a listen to the new Pretty Maids.  Pretty damn good, might be worth a purchase.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I was listening to Dio's Magica and Killing the Dragon today.  I know Magica gets a lot of rave reviews, but I just tend to find it decent, not much more than that.  I enjoy Killing the Dragon a lot more; it has much more of the classic Dio sound.

And speaking of Magica, I let that spoken word Magica story play out at the end of the disc.  I love Dio, but that has to be 18 minutes of the most tripe I've ever heard.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm with you completely on all counts, Jason. Majica has a couple of good tunes. Losing My Insanity comes to mind. And while Killing The Dragon isn't great, I feel it's the best of the latter day Dio albums.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I was listening to Dio's Magica and Killing the Dragon today.  I know Magica gets a lot of rave reviews, but I just tend to find it decent, not much more than that.  I enjoy Killing the Dragon a lot more; it has much more of the classic Dio sound.

I agree. Magica hasn't grabbed me, but I really enjoy Killing the Dragon overall, especially the title track.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

And speaking of Magica, I let that spoken word Magica story play out at the end of the disc.  I love Dio, but that has to be 18 minutes of the most tripe I've ever heard.

Killing the Dragon is a solid record from top to bottom.

Magica is actually one of my fav Dio records, I always had a soft spot for it, but yeah, the story is pretty naff.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
For me, nothing comes close to the first three Dio albums.  I found there to be a dip after that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I remember thinking that Sacred Heart was a huge dip. It has aged well, but a lot of the rest of Dio's catalog ended up being fairly mediocre. I still love Dream Evil and Lock Up The Wolves.

Offline Lowdz

For me, nothing comes close to the first three Dio albums.  I found there to be a dip after that.

First four for me. Magical was shit and I didn't enjoy much at all after that.

Offline Lowdz

Still on the podcast. The Impelliterri track isn't great. The remake on his new album doesn't do the job either. The only tack I liked on that ep was the Somewhere Over The Rainbow cover. Still play that a lot. And it's on my phone as a ringtone

What album by Petra would you recommend?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I love Sacred Heart and LUTW  :)  (or the less plodding half of LUTW anyway...........some of my faves from him)

Still on the podcast. The Impelliterri track isn't great. The remake on his new album doesn't do the job either. The only tack I liked on that ep was the Somewhere Over The Rainbow cover. Still play that a lot. And it's on my phone as a ringtone

What album by Petra would you recommend?

Funnily enough someone else PM'd me about how cool the Impelliterri track was :lol

I'm not totally across the whole Petra discog as , like I said in the podcast , it varies from melodic hard rock/metal to some of the wimpiest stuff you'll hear anywhere.

To the best of my knowledge (and for the tastes around here) the best places to start would be On Fire (as per 1988 podcast), Beyond Belief and Jekyll and Hyde.   The title track from Jeckyll and Hyde is super heavy for them and a cool song - from memory the rest of the album didn't quite live up to that track. 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Funnily enough someone else PM'd me about how cool the Impelliterri track was :lol

It sure as hell wasn't me! :) I'd never heard that before. I just thought it was some form of Alcatrazz, but of course Bonnett sang with Impelliteri. I do remember that, but never checked it out.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
ditto on those three for Petra.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I want to say that I sampled some Petra somewhere along the way. I had seen them referenced and I must've sampled one of those wimpier things. I seem to remember not being impressed at the time. Of course this was a long time ago.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Looking at Issue 37, 1983, there's an article on Rox. I bought their album and the LP is still in my attic!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Totally off topic ( I really don't want to join the P/R section) but if you enjoy Baldwin doing Donald Trump then check this guy out.   Amazing (and Sanders is great too).

https://youtu.be/YfXdmHseiFA

Maybe not totally off topic as there is a reference to Blondie at about 16.10 :lol

Another couple : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwMPyUxQe4A  and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ8j0NZyXVE
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 11:17:00 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Blondie!! :metal

Way better than you think! :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
JJ will be very happy to find out that in Issue 38, there's a Queen City Kids review!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I remember thinking that Sacred Heart was a huge dip.

That's because it is. :biggrin:
After the first two albums, Lock Up The Wolves and Kill the Dragon are the only Dio albums I listen to with any regularity. It's not that I dislike the rest of his music, but imo none of it is close to the same level of quality.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
If anyone is interested, I grabbed a Tony Harnell bootleg from 2012 in NYC off of Dime.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I would actually say that Sacred Heart may be my fav Dio album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The video of the reunion was posted in the Helloween section.  This is very cool news and I hope a new album with everybody involved will be part of this package.

Offline Lowdz

I would actually say that Sacred Heart may be my fav Dio album.

It's not mine but it's up there. Never got the love for Lock Up the Wolves. Start of his fall from grace there. Nothing after Dream Evil got close to Sacred Heart.