Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909826 times)

Offline Lepprador

I liked the first Winger, but became a fan with In The Heart Of The Young. The title track and Rainbow In The Rose are just incredible songs. I always thought of evolution chains. And in my perception it was Def Leppard > Winger > Dream Theater. Def Leppard indicated it with tracks like Die Hard The Hunter and Gods Of War. Winger expanded on it. Again listen to the insane drumming from Rod Morgenstein on Rainbow In The Rose. And finally DT brought together hair metal and prog. I can understand, if your first contact with Winger was 17 (ugh), it wasn't what a Metallica or Slayer fan rated cool, but I'm convinced that the musical abilities are on the same level with Dream Theater. So don't let your suppressed homosexuality keep you from enjoying one of the best bands on earth.

Quick question guys: Karma vs Better Days Comin' ?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What the hell just happened to this thread??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

A Nightmare on TAC street!

Offline Lowdz

The natural order of things has been restored  :biggrin:

But Leprador, Wingers musicianship up there with DT? No. Rod. Morganstein is a monster drummer though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Putting this on my Christmas list!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That's awesome lol

These ugly Christmas sweaters are taking over the world!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Listening to the podcast...

I loved the Lita/Ozzy track back in the day. I actually heard it on the radio a few weeks ago. Still holds up.

Wow, Brent, that Ratt tune sucked. I was way beyond them by '88, but man, how bad was that?!

A little over an hour in and I'm enjoying this immensely. So many vivid memories listening to music back then, even if some of these two podcasts are reminding me of how bad some of it actually was! :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Good to hear Tim.

And that post from Lepprador has actually impacted my day.  A few times I have chuckled out loud as my mind wandered back to the look Tim may have on his face as he found himself accused of using his stated dislike of Winger to cover up his true sexuality.  :rollin

And definitely Karma > Better Days Comin for me.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 09:17:33 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

They're about equal for me. I love a couple of songs from both, haven't been too interested in the rest.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
They are both pretty equal for me too, but I think I might just have to give Better Day's Comin' the edge, I'd play that one more.

It just got fucking sexier.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

They're about equal for me. I love a couple of songs from both, haven't been too interested in the rest.

I really liked Better Days Comin so I'd give it the edge over Karma.
You Aussie guys, have you heard the new Kings of the Sun? Any good?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Never even heard of the band.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Wow Kade........I suppose they were a bit before your time but when I was growing up they were reasonably big - not as big as The Choirboys but not far off....for a little while at least.   Serpentine was all over the radio as a single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2naGCRjHt0

Almost 30 years later with only one original member (drummer who is now on lead vocals) they're really just milking the name. 

Here is a preview of the new album

IMHO the original front man WAS the band and without him it's not the same.   I saw them supporting Sammy Hagar many years ago I think?

I am surprised Paul knew of them but yeah.........not really interested myself.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Never heard of 'em either. Checked out one of the new songs after some difficulty getting the internet to acknowledge their existence either, and it sounded pretty rough.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

Listening now, paint it black cover obviously isn't the guy Mann dude version and that was '89. Didn't catch who it was and don't want to risk being Rick rolled again :biggrin:.
SADO are clearly influenced by another German band... but enjoyable. Have heard of them but never heard them.
One would be such an awesome track with a better production.
LA guns weren't a favourite of mine but they had some decent tracks, this being one of them.
Hated Danzig. What a dickhead. Reminds me off the Doors and I can't stand them.
I like the first bulletboys album but they lost the plot after it. Agree that there's not enough good songs on it to be a classic.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 04:20:48 AM by Lowdz »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Hated Danzig. What a dickhead. .

Paul meets Danzig  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Wow Kade........I suppose they were a bit before your time but when I was growing up they were reasonably big - not as big as The Choirboys but not far off....for a little while at least.   Serpentine was all over the radio as a single.

I'm pretty okay with my Aussie 80's pub rock, but that song doesn't ring a bell at all, never heard it haha.  Not my thing though.

An hour into the podcast and nothing really exciting me that much.  I'm not a Danzig fan, but I love that tune.  That Ozzy/Lita song is great too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just listening to Batio's new album .

My detailed review - "don't bother"  :D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Not got to the Ozzy/lita track but I've never liked it.
And yes, Danzig was on my to punch list  :biggrin: would be pleased to land that one  :biggrin:

Offline Lowdz

My love of shred is well documented but I've never really bothered with Batio. He can shred but there's nothing deeper going on, no compositional skill and sheer speed for the sake of it gets old very fast. There, I said it. I've become one of those guys  :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

My love of shred is well documented but I've never really bothered with Batio. He can shred but there's nothing deeper going on, no compositional skill and sheer speed for the sake of it gets old very fast. There, I said it. I've become one of those guys  :biggrin:

This one actually has a female vocalist on all tracks  - the songs are pretty shit , she is pretty shit and the album is pretty shit.   Hope you appreciate the extra detail  ;D

The solos are certainly the highlight but that's not saying much.  He is really capable of amazing things and occasionally nails it - just nowhere near often enough.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I actually saw Kings Of The Sun. They opened for Bruce's Tattooed Millionaire tour. But I'd be lying my ass off if I said I remember anything
about them.

And that post from Lepprador has actually impacted my day.   

Yeah, mine too. I have officially asked Bosk to ban him!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Besides a handful of shirts, I also still have a few tour programs. Again, many seemed to have disappeared, but I still have a few. I'll post pics of them over the next few weeks.

For Brent, I'll start with this. Bought at the Providence Civic Center on March 18, 1984. This one continues to fold out into a huge poster.

Front & back cover:

..which folds out to this:

...which folds out to this:

...which ultimately folds out to this!

And Brent, if you'd like to add this to your VH collection, PM me. You probably already have one!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I was too young when the original VH was taking the world by storm, but they just seem like they were the coolest guys on planet earth during the first DLR run.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
They were an exciting band, and damn were they really good. Even though they had short albums with some filler, they could really rip it up. They were so huge. I was 15 1/2 when I attended that show. It was really amazing. It's a shame that there has never been a proper Live DVD release from the old days. How many bands have released their US Festival show?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I've always wondered about a live cd/dvd from the original band.  I've watched lots of youtube footage, and they just tear it up.  DLR was just an over the top excellent front man.  How could there not be a show that they could fix up and give a proper release for.  The US festival would a good one to release, I'm sure it would have been a great show.

That live album from a couple of years ago from Tokyo just doesn't represent the band good enough IMO.  Not at all.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
You guys are tempting me to try and find my VH stash - I've probably posted half of it in the early days of this thread.

Thanks for your kind offer Tim - will PM you.   Do you do in-person home delivery?  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I've always wondered about a live cd/dvd from the original band.  I've watched lots of youtube footage, and they just tear it up.  DLR was just an over the top excellent front man.  How could there not be a show that they could fix up and give a proper release for.  The US festival would a good one to release, I'm sure it would have been a great show.

That live album from a couple of years ago from Tokyo just doesn't represent the band good enough IMO.  Not at all.

There was some amazing footage of VH in 1979 on Youtube a year or two back - I didn't bother to try and capture it and a few days later the guy cracked the shits and removed it  >:(     DLR was "On Fire" in those days - not doing his "I forgot the fuckin words" schtick and was just nailing everything.

US Festival show is here in so-so quality - https://youtu.be/frwlZswvS5I  -  the guys were that off their face that I don't believe they wanted it released.

Possibly the best classic VH footage available is the few songs from the Oakland show on the Fair Warning tour.   There is debate about whether they have the rest of that show stashed somewhere - the band says they don't but it's always been a topic of discussion.

Oakland : so This Is Love:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DU11hyBEys
Oakland:  Hear About It Later  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLGEYPOhK6w
Oakland : Unchained:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn8APTMyKsg

Then there's the 1979 Fresno footage (again 3 songs) - the Dance The Night Away footage was the song vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3fqJq6piYQ

That's about it for pro quality footage .

This is the Fresno On Fire footage I found , but in awful quality.   It was amazing in the almost pro quality I saw it in  :'(    - you still can tell how much better he was here than in the later tours though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRUMeHw4Gz4

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Australia is on my Bucket List Brent!

I think as far as VH goes, there are a couple decent shows floating around. Baltimore 82 and Caracas 83 I think.

Offline Lowdz

I saw VH at the 1984 Monsters of Rock festival at Castle Donington. I wasn't a huge fan at the time and remember they did a drum solo after the second song. Totally killed the vibe, as did all the other solo spots.

Dave was funny and his sword solo was cool, but towards the end of a long day those solo spots were too much. The world does not need a Michael Anthony bass solo.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Feel like I'm going to church.  Are you passing out hymnals to sing along?  Just kidding, I think it's great.

:lol I wrote this after the Petra song and BEFORE Neon Cross and Idle Cure were played.  :lol

PK Mitchell is a pretty talented guy.  Brent, it might be a bit "churchy" for you, but have you checked out his renditions of old church hymns?  All Hail The Power is the title of one version of that album.

Big fan of those Idle Cure albums too.

There's some great guitar work on that VXN track, but oh man those backing vocals!!  These guys needed a different producer.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah Brent I would say that Oakland footage is the best for early VH.  That would be a great show to release; how could there not be a full show somewhere from it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Feel like I'm going to church.  Are you passing out hymnals to sing along?  Just kidding, I think it's great.

:lol I wrote this after the Petra song and BEFORE Neon Cross and Idle Cure were played.  :lol

PK Mitchell is a pretty talented guy.  Brent, it might be a bit "churchy" for you, but have you checked out his renditions of old church hymns?  All Hail The Power is the title of one version of that album.

Big fan of those Idle Cure albums too.

There's some great guitar work on that VXN track, but oh man those backing vocals!!  These guys needed a different producer.

As is obvious I don't let the fact that I am not religious dissuade me from listening to Christian music if it's not over the top in terms of preaching to/looking down on those outside the Christian faith.

I will check out PK Mitchell Hath -  the only PK I grew up with was the chewy.  :D

VXN was self released /self produced so really just a glorified demo - here's the cassette cover

In that context I think it's pretty good and yeah - really nice aggressive yet restrained guitar solo.  Some guitar diehards may actually know the guitarist - Jeff Kollman who has some solo albums and was in a band called Edwin Dare.

www.theguitardojo.com.au