Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909792 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Tim's house has the most heavy metal attic on earth!  How many shirts are up there?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Unfortunately not much more. I had a Mindcrime tour shirt that I sent to old friend Samsara for his Hall of the Ryche.

At some point I lost trash bags filled with them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Unfortunately not much more. I had a Mindcrime tour shirt that I sent to old friend Samsara for his Hall of the Ryche.

At some point I lost trash bags filled with them.

then its the most heavy metal garbage dump!

Offline Lowdz

I've had to get rid of many shirts over the years. I bought a shirt at most gigs I went to.
Wish I had them all now.

Offline Lowdz

Didn't know it had got circulated to your part of the world Paul - it's a pretty obscure show even here.

As far as me playing again........................hmmm, maybe  :lol     The thought of starting again basically from scratch fills me with dread -  I'm a bit of a perfectionist and being a total hack (while almost expecting to able to play as I used to ) will drive me nuts.   The lack of any real chance of finding a band to play in - at least one that plays decent music - is another psychological barrier for me.   Jamming along to backing tracks by myself only keeps me going for so long.

I think you're right about Ben - teaching him may be the way to rekindle my interest.   Having said that , you know kids respond better to teachers that aren't their parents  ::)

I did get close a few years ago.   Being a bit of a researcher I tracked down every one of the best resources I could find online and elsewhere and bought a fair few things , so I am better equipped than I ever was as a kid to teach myself and Ben for some time without much research.  Shit happened and I never managed to keep at it.

Hopefully when things settle down a bit in other areas I may find the time and motivation.

Never heard of them, just saw it on YouTube, maybe from a Satch Facebook link?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I didn't have 5% of the gigs available that most of you guys had so I kept pretty much everything and also bought lots from bands I was never able to see .  Early on in the thread I think I posted a different shirt each day for a couple of months and still had plenty in reserve  :lol  :-[

These days I generally don't buy shirts at gigs - or tour books.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
At one point, I could've worn a different Maiden shirt everyday for a month. Seriously.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I never had that much tour shirts, when I was young I simply didn't have the money to buy a shirt on every concert that I went to, and when I got older and had the money I didn't buy that many because I couldn't wear them on workdays and generally kinda lost interest in tour shirts.

The ones I had were lost since then and wouldn't fit anyway.

But seeing all this great shirts, I kinda miss those days. Maybe I will buy some shirts again in the future.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

When I'm not at work I live in band shirts and jeans. Just because I'm nearly 50 doesn't mean I can't live in 1987  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
At one point, I could've worn a different Maiden shirt everyday for a month. Seriously.

Impressive.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
When I'm not at work I live in band shirts and jeans. Just because I'm nearly 50 doesn't mean I can't live in 1987  :biggrin:

I try and be a bit more classy than Paul - band shirts and track pants  :biggrin:

The new podcast is done - after this we'll try and keep the show to 3-4 hrs  :)     This should fill in all/most of the gaps in your 1988 faves and hopefully expose most of you to something you like that you haven't heard before. 

Here's the link  (duped in the OP as usual) : https://yadi.sk/d/mgjVQWkuy4M7g

I can't see another one being done until well after Xmas but 10+ hrs in the last few weeks should hopefully keep me in the good books until then .   I'll try and catch up on 2016 now and see if we can make some sort of show of a Best of 2016.

Here's the list from the first show (hopefully I picked the right draft :lol)

60: King Kobra III – Mean Street Machine
59 Adrian Dodz: Adrian Dodz – Somebody Beat Me To The Punch
58 Testament : The New Order – Disciples of the Watch
57 Steeler : Undercover Animal – Undercover Animal
56 Lillian Axe: Lillian Axe – Vision In The Night
55 Jason Becker : Perpetual Burn – Altitudes
54 Tyrant : Ruling The World – Killing The Peace We Fall
53 Smashed Gladys : Social Intercourse – Play Dirty
52 Virgin Steele : Age of Consent – Burning of Rome (Cry for Pompeii)
51 Prophet: Cycle of the Moon – Hands of Time
50 Poison : Open Up and Say Ahh – Nothin But A Good Time
49 Rough : First Cut – This World Is On Fire
48 Kuni : Lookin For Action – Say Goodbye
47 Witness: Witness - Borrowed Time
46 Kix : Blow My Fuse – Don’t Close Your Eyes
45 Helloween : Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt II – March of Time
44 Iron Maiden : Seventh Son of a Seventh Son – The Clairvoyant
43 Hittman: Hittman – Behind The Lines
42 Warrant : DRFSR – DRFSR
41: Craaft : Second Honeymoon – Chance of Your Life
40 :Only Child : Only Child – Just Ask
39 Tattoo: Blood Red – Red Light
38 AC/DC : Blow Up Your Video – Down On The Borderline
37 Angel Dust : To Dust You Will Decay – Into The Dark Past (Ch II)
36 Vinnie Vincent Invasion – All Systems go – Love Kills
35 Vicious Rumors: Digital Dictator – Digital Dictator
34 Judas Priest : Ram It Down – Blood Red Skies
33 Magnum : Wings of Heaven – Wild Swan
32 Riot : Thundersteel – Thundersteel
31 Krokus: Heart Attack – Axx Attack
30: Jeff Healey Band: See The light – See The Light
29 Jimmy Barnes : Barnestorming – Good Times
28 China Sky: China Sky – Some Kind of Miracle
27 Joshua : Intense Defense – Look To The Sky
26 Killer Dwarfs : Big Deal – Tell Me Please
25 Artch : Another Return – Where I Go
24 Kingdom Come : Kingdom Come – Shout It Out
23 Chicago: 19 – Heart In Pieces
22 Zed Yago : pilgrimage – Pioneer of the Storm
21 Fates Warning : No Exit – Anarchy Divine
20 Blue Oyster Cult : Imaginos – The Siege and Investiture of Baron Von Frankenstein's Castle at Weisseria
19 Megadeth : So Far, So Good..........So What! - Anarchy In The UK
18 Europe : Out of this World – Ready Or Not
17 Dirty Looks: Cool From The Wire – It’s A Bitch
16 Alien : Alien – Brave New Love
15 220 Volt : Eye To Eye – The Harder They Come
14 Van Halen : OU812 – AFU (Naturally Wired)
13 Cinderella : Long Cold Winter- The Last Mile
12 Manowar : Kings of Metal – Hail and Kill
11 House of Lords: House of Lords – Pleasure Palace
10 Winger : Winger – Madelaine
9 David Lee Roth : Skyscraper- Knucklebones
8 : Survivor:Too Hot To Sleep- Too Hot To Sleep
7 Bon Jovi : New Jersey – Wild Is The Wind
6 Ozzy Osbourne : No Rest For The Wicked – Breaking All The Rules
5: Dare: Out Of The Silence – Under The Sun
4 Yngwie Malmsteen : Odyssey – Deja Vu
3:Crimson Glory : Transcendence- Lonely
2: Dokken : Beast From The East – Unchain The Night
1: Queensryche : Operation: Mindcrime – Operation: Mindcrime
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 05:22:27 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Downloading now, Brent! Can't wait to hear it.

2016 has been a great year!

New Hammerfall tomorrow!!

:neverusethis:

No seriously, it should be in my mailbox when I get home!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Downloading now, Brent! Can't wait to hear it.

2016 has been a great year!

New Hammerfall tomorrow!!

:neverusethis:

No seriously, it should be in my mailbox when I get home!

:D

The Hammerfall is alright ........very predictable , but some are saying it's their best in a while.   I can't comment on that as I haven't followed them in recent times.  Checked this one out though and , while I didn't press Skip , I wasn't itching to hear it again either.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The last album I really liked from them was Threshold.
I kept hoping that with each member change, it would spark something fresh. They seem to be going backwards.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Starting on the podcast now, and I still can't believe Metallica didn't even make the Top 60. I mean, no offence Brent. I do love you, but there was some serious shite in the first '88 podcast. While you eloquently state your reasons against it, I just can't accept that there are more good songs on Winger than there are on Justice. I mean, I heard that first Winger album and I puked my guts out, while Justice became the soundtrack to about a year of my life. And while the first '88 podcast came across as intensely personal, which I so totally respect, there is no way that there were 60 better albums released in the hard rock category in 1988 than Justice.

Very humbly submitted.  :hefdaddy

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Fair enough Tim - we all love things that other regulars around here consider shite and Winger is a good example of something that's quite divisive.    I very generously gave your Blondie submission to my roulette a 6/10  , so ;D

There are definitely a percentage of Metallica fans (a small percentage admittedly) who agree with me on AJFA .  I just don't see at it as even in the same class as MoP , TBA or even RTL and IMHO it contains 2 or 3 poor songs which pretty much automatically rules if out of any best list for me.

:)

I genuinely find it interesting how much those of us in this thread have in common with our taste while at the same time being so diametrically opposed at times.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, but Blondie is awesome!  :lol

And I even let you assholes got to compete in a Winger Round!! What could be better than that??

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Uh oh - the TAC roulette is back on  :lol     Us assholes submitted some cool stuff in that round  :hat

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, could've sworn Paint It Black was Yngwie. Great guitars on the next track too.

Great Danzig tune. Bulletboys suck though! :)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, could've sworn Paint It Black was Yngwie. Great guitars on the next track too.

I wouldn't argue about Bulletboys - their debut was decent but they released some rubbish for sure.  Marq Torien is a first division tool too  :D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I just can't accept that there are more good songs on Winger than there are on Justice.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :rollin

Offline Lowdz

I'm with brent on AJFA. It won't even be a good album when they get around to finishing it. One is a good song but the rest is bloated and just not memorable. I'll stick with the first Winger even if it's their weakest..

Looking forward to the podcast

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I just can't accept that there are more good songs on Winger than there are on Justice.

:rollin

Offline Lowdz

Guy Mann Dude?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
part 1 was another highly rated podcast

here are the songs I didn't already know that rated 8.5 or higher

Virgin Steele -The Burning of Rome (Cry for Pompeii)
Judas Priest - Blood Red Skies
Artch - Where I Go
Fates Warning - Anarchy Divine
David Lee Roth - Knucklebones

King Kobra - Mean Street Machine
Steeler - Undercover Animal
Witness - Borrowed Time
Hittman - Behind The Lines
Craaft - Chance of Your Life
AC/DC - Down on the Borderline
Vicious Rumors - Digital Dictator
Riot - Thundersteel
Krokus - Axx Attack
China Sky - Some Kind of Miracle
Joshua - Look to the Sky
Zed Yago - Pioneer of the Storm
Europe - Ready or Not
Alien - Brave New Love
Cinderella - The Last Mile
Survivor - Too Hot To Sleep
Ozzy Osbourne - Breakin' All The Rules
Dokken - Unchain the Night
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
on to part 2

really enjoyed that Paint it Black cover

The S.A.D.O. song has a really great guitar sound

Didn't really care for that Battle Bratt, but the solo saved it a bit

Feel like I'm going to church.  Are you passing out hymnals to sing along?  Just kidding, I think it's great.
Winger would be better!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I agree with Hath on those sentiments.

The Helstar tune was great.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Downloaded and will crack in probably not til tomorrow night. 

Virgin Steele -The Burning of Rome (Cry for Pompeii)

This song is just bloody brilliant.  Shame VS were so hit and miss.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
yeah, with a few more listens I can see it moving up to a 9.5.  Possibly the #1 song of that podcast.
Winger would be better!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm with brent on AJFA. It won't even be a good album when they get around to finishing it. One is a good song but the rest is bloated and just not memorable. I'll stick with the first Winger even if it's their weakest..

:hifive:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

Every single thing about this is wrong. :lol (Except for One being good, although it's a lot better than just "good")
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
even if it's their weakest..

Every single thing about this is wrong. :lol

You're right - In The Heart of the Young (or IV) is generally considered their weakest  :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Yeah, I don't like In the Heart of the Young at all. I think there might have been one song I half liked on IV.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

Yeah, I don't like In the Heart of the Young at all. I think there might have been one song I half liked on IV.

For me, it's just behind Pull. Yeah, thinking about it IV is probably weaker. I forgot it existed tbh  :biggrin:

I liked the first one well enough at the time (some tracks I don't like at all), but I hardly ever play it now.

And I wanted to like AJFA, thought I'd like it too from what everyone said about it. I just don't. The lack of bass guitar makes it sound unfinished and just wrong.