Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909534 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The new Saxon live blu ray/cd kicks major ass!!  :metal

Highly recommended.  It's amazing that Saxon just gets better and better with age.

Battering Ram is still on solid rotation for me, wonderful album.  Will have to get my hands on this DVD I reckon!

I predict a Kade Amazon click in the very near future!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Highly recommended.  It's amazing that Saxon just gets better and better with age.

Battering Ram is still on solid rotation for me, wonderful album.  Will have to get my hands on this DVD I reckon!

I predict a Kade Amazon click in the very near future!

Might be able to get it locally but if now, you got it!!  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought there might have been a chance it was available locally for me, but no luck.  Amazon to the rescue!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have to wait until Santa brings me my copy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Not to worry............

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Here's something for you shred heads.

In Australia on one of the underground TV channels there is a show called Guitar Gods and Masterpieces - produced by some local guys - very tongue in cheek.   The host is called Hack Wanger , so that should give you an idea.   I actually used to know one of the guys who produces the show (and a couple of guys in the video actually) - back in the day when I could play.   I'm pissed off they didn't call me - they're not to know I have barely touched a guitar in 20 years  :D

Anyway - I don't always get time to watch but my Dad does and he always lets me know if there's anything of interest and he brought this to my attention.   The show is a bit iffy but they do have good connections in the biz , which are on display with this little song.

They have produced a song to raise money for mens health - more specifically prostate cancer and depression.   It's called Don't You Tell Me Not To Play Guitar and the artist is listed as Dorian Chiiwahwah Phallic and the Astral Cosmic Travel Agency  :lol     

Its a 9 min song which is just a regular song for 2 mins or so and the rest is basically a whole host of the best guitarists around having a few bars each to show their stuff.   Lots of mindless shredding and pouting women - what's not to like?

Given that the dude singing has Chiiwahwah in his name I can't believe they didn't make Kirk Hammett their mascot but anyway..........here's the list of players , their bands etc..in order of appearance.  You may see someone you like the sound of and can follow up on - lots of big names but also plenty of relative unknowns and Aussie guys.

Tommy Emmanuel - Australia
Brett Garsed – John Farnham, Nelson, T. J. Helmerich -Australia
Joe Satriani – G3, Chickenfoot - USA
Steve Morse – Deep Purple, Dixie Dregs, The Flying Colors– USA
Hack Wanger – Guitar Gods & Masterpieces TV Show - Australia
Mattias Eklundh – Freak Kitchen – Sweden
Chris Cheney –The Living End - Australia
Dave Leslie – Baby Animals- -Australia
Isao – Spark 7 – Japan
Jack Thammerat Solo artist & 2009 Guitar idol winner - Thailand
Manjit Joseph – Heavens Down – India
Rabea Massaad – Dorje - UK
Benjamin Baret - Ne Obliviscaris - France
Adrian Hannan – The Song Store – song producer -Australia
Albare - Jazz Artist – Morocco ,Israel, France, Australia
Chen Lei – Tang Dynasty - China
Syu – Galneryus - Japan
Rob Chapman – Dorje, Chapman Guitars - UK
Mikio Fujioka – Kami Band - Japan
Shinichi Kobayashi, - Jigoku Quartet - Japan
Frank Gambale- Chick Corea - Australia
Irwin Thomas – Southern Sons, John Farnham - Australia
Geoff Achison –Soul Diggers – Australia
Peter Robinson – Electric Mary- Australia
Hedras Ramos - Solo Fusion/metal artist - Guatemala
Ola Englund The Haunted, Feared – Sweden
Eric Calderone - Erock - USA
Motorman Duo - Simon Hosford – Tommy Emmanuel -Australia
Motorman Duo - James Ryan – Men at work. – Australia
Paul Gilbert – Mr. Big, Racer X - USA
Andy James – Wearing Scars - UK
Alex Hutchings - Alex Hutchings Band - UK
Guthrie Govan – The Aristocrats, Asia, Steve Wilson Band - UK

https://youtu.be/LCb012KRV-o
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Not to worry............

Brent, you're a meanie. That is not very nice.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Not to worry............

Brent, you're a meanie. That is not very nice.

I apologise.   :angel:  All I wanted to say was that Kip's got a Christmas package for you Tim and it's all yours if you want it .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Even if I did want it, there'd be nothing left when Kade was done with it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Ouch  :rollin

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Listening now!  :metal
What an amazing version of 20,000 FT.

Devil's Footprint  :hefdaddy

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The verse riff in Wheels Of Steel is the same as Bad Boy Boogie!

Expecting Biff to sing, "It was the seventh day, I was the seventh son." :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The thing with Saxon is that there are no weak eras or songs. The new songs are just as good as the classics!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, I was thinking that the last 10 years have been amazing. They dipped a bit in the late 80's and their 90's output isn't as consistent but they have bookended that with the Classic and frankly, to me, the even more impressive modern era.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I might check out this Saxon - not fussed about live albums usually but I'll take your advice.

Next podcast is in the can , so now I'll take a bit of a break and also madly catch up on 2016 releases before year end.   Will post the tracklist from the first 1988 show and a link to " Best of the Rest" show in the next 24 hrs or so.   Just need to listen to it and iron out any last minute bugs.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, looking forward to it.

Live albums are the way to go for me. I was checking out some of the new Dirschneider live CD earlier. It's basically all Accept tunes. It sounded good. I may get that along with the new Accept live album, which I cannot wait for.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, looking forward to it.

Live albums are the way to go for me. I was checking out some of the new Dirschneider live CD earlier. It's basically all Accept tunes. It sounded good. I may get that along with the new Accept live album, which I cannot wait for.

I find live albums very enjoyable too. Accept, Armored Saint and Primal Fear have live albums coming out in the next few months, so that's very good news. And maybe Symphony X one day will release another

Offline Lowdz

Here's something for you shred heads.

In Australia on one of the underground TV channels there is a show called Guitar Gods and Masterpieces - produced by some local guys - very tongue in cheek.   The host is called Hack Wanger , so that should give you an idea.   I actually used to know one of the guys who produces the show (and a couple of guys in the video actually) - back in the day when I could play.   I'm pissed off they didn't call me - they're not to know I have barely touched a guitar in 20 years  :D

Anyway - I don't always get time to watch but my Dad does and he always lets me know if there's anything of interest and he brought this to my attention.   The show is a bit iffy but they do have good connections in the biz , which are on display with this little song.

They have produced a song to raise money for mens health - more specifically prostate cancer and depression.   It's called Don't You Tell Me Not To Play Guitar and the artist is listed as Dorian Chiiwahwah Phallic and the Astral Cosmic Travel Agency  :lol     

Its a 9 min song which is just a regular song for 2 mins or so and the rest is basically a whole host of the best guitarists around having a few bars each to show their stuff.   Lots of mindless shredding and pouting women - what's not to like?

Given that the dude singing has Chiiwahwah in his name I can't believe they didn't make Kirk Hammett their mascot but anyway..........here's the list of players , their bands etc..in order of appearance.  You may see someone you like the sound of and can follow up on - lots of big names but also plenty of relative unknowns and Aussie guys.

Tommy Emmanuel - Australia
Brett Garsed – John Farnham, Nelson, T. J. Helmerich -Australia
Joe Satriani – G3, Chickenfoot - USA
Steve Morse – Deep Purple, Dixie Dregs, The Flying Colors– USA
Hack Wanger – Guitar Gods & Masterpieces TV Show - Australia
Mattias Eklundh – Freak Kitchen – Sweden
Chris Cheney –The Living End - Australia
Dave Leslie – Baby Animals- -Australia
Isao – Spark 7 – Japan
Jack Thammerat Solo artist & 2009 Guitar idol winner - Thailand
Manjit Joseph – Heavens Down – India
Rabea Massaad – Dorje - UK
Benjamin Baret - Ne Obliviscaris - France
Adrian Hannan – The Song Store – song producer -Australia
Albare - Jazz Artist – Morocco ,Israel, France, Australia
Chen Lei – Tang Dynasty - China
Syu – Galneryus - Japan
Rob Chapman – Dorje, Chapman Guitars - UK
Mikio Fujioka – Kami Band - Japan
Shinichi Kobayashi, - Jigoku Quartet - Japan
Frank Gambale- Chick Corea - Australia
Irwin Thomas – Southern Sons, John Farnham - Australia
Geoff Achison –Soul Diggers – Australia
Peter Robinson – Electric Mary- Australia
Hedras Ramos - Solo Fusion/metal artist - Guatemala
Ola Englund The Haunted, Feared – Sweden
Eric Calderone - Erock - USA
Motorman Duo - Simon Hosford – Tommy Emmanuel -Australia
Motorman Duo - James Ryan – Men at work. – Australia
Paul Gilbert – Mr. Big, Racer X - USA
Andy James – Wearing Scars - UK
Alex Hutchings - Alex Hutchings Band - UK
Guthrie Govan – The Aristocrats, Asia, Steve Wilson Band - UK

https://youtu.be/LCb012KRV-o

I've seen this and enjoyed it. Yeah, get back to playing, mate. I'm nowhere near as good as I was 20 years ago (and I wasn't all that even then) but the enjoyment and relaxation is still there.
It will inspire Ben too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Didn't know it had got circulated to your part of the world Paul - it's a pretty obscure show even here.

As far as me playing again........................hmmm, maybe  :lol     The thought of starting again basically from scratch fills me with dread -  I'm a bit of a perfectionist and being a total hack (while almost expecting to able to play as I used to ) will drive me nuts.   The lack of any real chance of finding a band to play in - at least one that plays decent music - is another psychological barrier for me.   Jamming along to backing tracks by myself only keeps me going for so long.

I think you're right about Ben - teaching him may be the way to rekindle my interest.   Having said that , you know kids respond better to teachers that aren't their parents  ::)

I did get close a few years ago.   Being a bit of a researcher I tracked down every one of the best resources I could find online and elsewhere and bought a fair few things , so I am better equipped than I ever was as a kid to teach myself and Ben for some time without much research.  Shit happened and I never managed to keep at it.

Hopefully when things settle down a bit in other areas I may find the time and motivation.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Even if I did want it, there'd be nothing left when Kade was done with it.

I wouldn't share with you anyway Tim.  ;D

I'll have to check out that track Brent, lots of good names there.  I've seen a little bit of that show too but always seem to catch it right at the end when it's finishing.  Looks interesting enough.

Pick up the guitar Brent, I'll form a band with you in a second.  :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
May have to dust off the drums rotting in my basemant.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
May have to dust off the drums rotting in my basemant.

Do you think if we formed the greatest metal band the world has ever seen from this very forum DT would be obliged to take us on tour?  :justjen

This is getting me as excited as that glorious Kip pic!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
You just wanna play my geetars Kade  ;D

Well if Kade , Paul and I are on guitar and Tim is on drums that probably does it for an instrumental project.  One of the guitarists can surely play bass .  Can anyone around here sing? 

I reckon we could probably do one of these projects where it's all done by email and turn in something that's better than most of the recent Frontiers releases  :lol

Just give me and Tim a few years to regain our chops :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh, at least a few years.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I reckon we could probably do one of these projects where it's all done by email and turn in something that's better than most of the recent Frontiers releases  :lol

That's good, don't set the bar too high. :lol
Can I add some cheesy synths to your impending masterpiece?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That would be great Blob.    If you sing and produce too you can be our Blobessandro VanDamio.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Fuck I love a good challenge. 

I'm ready boys!!   :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
That would be great Blob.    If you sing and produce too you can be our Blobessandro VanDamio.

I don't sing, but I could definitely produce/mix an album better than Frontiers standard. Van Damio at your service!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I don't sing, but I could definitely produce/mix an album better than Frontiers standard. Van Damio at your service!

And Ben could produce a better music video than Frontiers , so that's covered too  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

And Ben could produce a better music video than Frontiers , so that's covered too  ;D

Will we have to do one of those music videos where clearly every musician was shot separately in a different location against green screen then slapped into some post apocalyptic setting on a rooftop with flames in the background? Because I can do that too. :lol
Or we could do the super budget lyric video over some clouds and particles.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
you guys looking for a vocalist?

I'll also play bass if you want to do the dual guitar thing.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Sure Hath -   JJ is our agent , so send him an audition with your version of The Stranger.

I didn't realise you were a singer (or musician) .........have you sung in a band before or just in the shower?  :D

One thing I really appreciated after playing in a band was guys/gals who sing and play anything more than basic guitar at the same time.   I felt that I was strong in the rhythm department as a guitarist but throw in vocals on top of it and it often threw me a bit if I was playing anything more than basic chord progressions.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
paid for college/university partially with a vocal scholarship with the stipulation that I sang in the choir and the select chorale group (I majored in business).  In high school I was part of a quartet that sang, believe it or not, country music.  Four-part harmonies on Garth Brooks, Little Texas, Alabama, etc.  So the slightly more rocking side of country I guess??  :lol

That group morphed into a bit of a rock band doing mostly mid to late 90s Christian rock (Third Day, DC Talk, Audio Adrenaline, etc).  We needed a bassist, so I took it up.  I also play trumpet and dabble on the keys.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Inspired by Brent's Helloween shirt, I went in my attic and grabbed a handful of shirts that I have left. Like I said, I had two giant trash bags that became casualties of life along the way.

Offline Lowdz

That alone would get us a deal with Frontiers  :lol