Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909707 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The Prophet was nice AOR.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
As much of a deadset classic Keepers II is, I agree that Rise and fall brings it down a bit.  Although I think if it were buried deeper around track 8 or 9, it wouldn't be so much of an issue.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That Hittman was awesome, and fuck that Vicious Rumors was kickass.  Still gotta check them out and definitely will now after that song.

Blood Red Skies and Ram it Down are both IMO brilliant.  Lots of underrated stuff on RID.

Agree with you on the Magnum Brent, but Wings of Heaven is great.  Great pick with Wild Swan too, one of my favs if not fav from that album.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:38:20 AM by wolfking »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
ok just listened to the last 20 or so songs on the podcast

BOC, nice!

That Europe song . . . kind of had a Pointer Sisters vibe to it?  The guitar did sound great though.

that keyboard intro on that House of Lords song, holy cow

got to the top 5 and realized I wasn't getting Justice and rage-paused the podcast  :biggrin:

You might as well have played that Chicago song considering the other stuff that was included  :lol
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You might as well have played that Chicago song considering the other stuff that was included  :lol

I thought the same thing while listening to...

that keyboard intro on that House of Lords song, holy cow
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Barnsey!!!  :hefdaddy :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Barnsey!!!  :hefdaddy :metal

:rollin
The fall asleep comment was perfectly timed, because I just opened up the page to say that if that Barnes song made the Top 60, then the Bottom 60 must really suck! :lol

My word, that was horrific!

:lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
haha, I agree that Good Times is a pretty crap song, I never liked it, but as Brent said, Freight Train Heart is fucking killer.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
A few songs into the new Oliver Hartmann disk.....................Zzzzzzzzzz

UPDATE:  fucking awful
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 05:43:08 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Oh dear. Mind you, I wasn't expecting much. The last one was a snooze fest, wasn't it

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh dear. Mind you, I wasn't expecting much. The last one was a snooze fest, wasn't it

I'm guessing this one leaves the last one in its dust  :D   His last album was called The Best Is Yet To Come btw :lol
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 04:58:00 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I've never heard of or listened to Oliver Hartmann. A review of "fucking awful" won't change that lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I've never heard of or listened to Oliver Hartmann. A review of "fucking awful" won't change that lol

He's a good metal singer JJ -   has appeared on Avantasia, At Vance for multiple albums and done backing vox for Helloween, Primal Fear etc......

But seems he has now gone all poppy singer/songwriter.   His first solo album was on the soft side (but edgy and very good) , but it's been downhill from there.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Copy, thanks

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re the 1988 podcast -  I have not even attempted to promote it outside of our small group here but somebody seems to have seen it and run with it.

Check this out

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow! That's amazing! Probably all of the kids in Ben's school!! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
whoa!
Winger would be better!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
A few songs into the new Oliver Hartmann disk.....................Zzzzzzzzzz

UPDATE:  fucking awful

I like Oliver as a singer and a guitarist, but his solo work is just average at best.  Not a great songwriter.

Re the 1988 podcast -  I have not even attempted to promote it outside of our small group here but somebody seems to have seen it and run with it.

Check this out

That's killer man.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That's awesome to see!!!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I wonder who those 755 people are.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Bots.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Man, that Kingdom Come was awesome.  The lead guitars have a real Tipton style tone which I love, gotta check that album.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
it's a good one.  Although when the zeppelin references come out, they really hit you in the face.  It's amazing how much they sound like them at times.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 11:40:29 AM by Big Hath »
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran

Check this out

That's killer man.

Quote from: Ben
Metal Adult Contemporary for the Masses
Winger would be better!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
 :)

Should have "The Best of The Rest" podcast up for you next week and then I'll take a break until January.   Got all sorts of shit coming up , including moving house for the 2nd time in 12 months , so that's partly why I made sure to get these two big ones done now.

And there are so many 2016 new releases ............I have zero chance of catching up before year end  but I will likely make an attempt at a Best of 2016.  The late 80's are super tough to research and get a "best of" list done but these days it seems there are more releases per month than there were per year back then ...........most of 'em are rubbish and a lot of the better ones are self funded /hard to find unless you have all day to scour Bandcamp and Cd Baby.

Might ask you guys to post your Top Tens for 2016 before I finalise things and that'll decrease the chances of me missing anything obvious.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Primal Fear and Anthrax had awesome releases this year, but I can't see anything beating Fates Warning.  What an album!

Astonishing is still my lowest ranking Dream Theater album in their discography, but it would still probably get put in the top 10 for this year due to there not being enough options for me personally.

Offline Lowdz

Man, that Kingdom Come was awesome.  The lead guitars have a real Tipton style tone which I love, gotta check that album.

I dismissed them on hearing the singles which were Zep rip offs. That and Lenny doing his best impression of a vocalist I can't stand  :biggrin: I did enjoy that song though, and Stone Fury were pretty good. Might give the album a go.

My rankings would be a lot different I guess, and I probably wouldn't have so many albums listed as a lot weren't up to par, but great work Brent. I really enjoyed the listen.

Offline Lowdz

And maybe Joshua Perahia should give Brent a call to remaster Intense Defense  :biggrin:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
And maybe Joshua Perahia should give Brent a call to remaster Intense Defense  :biggrin:

That's a great album and definitely should be remastered and rereleased.  But likely wouldn't be a huge demand

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I dismissed them on hearing the singles which were Zep rip offs. That and Lenny doing his best impression of a vocalist I can't stand  :biggrin: I did enjoy that song though, and Stone Fury were pretty good. Might give the album a go.

I had no use for Kingdom Come.

As much as I liked the Stone Fury when it came out, it did NOT age well.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
And there are so many 2016 new releases

Either I just am too busy, or not that interested anymore and easily dismiss stuff now, but I didn't think there was that many ones for me to check at this back end of the year.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Testament
Metallica
Theocracy
Saxon (new live album)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The Testament (which I have heard) is getting massive review scores , but I just think it's solid............and I like them.    Blabbermouth gave it a 9.5 , but then they also gave Tate's new one an 8  ;D

And there are so many 2016 new releases

Either I just am too busy, or not that interested anymore and easily dismiss stuff now, but I didn't think there was that many ones for me to check at this back end of the year.

Looks like I do need to do a Best of 2016 podcast :lol

there's not much from established names granted ,  but truckloads of other stuff under the radar.   trouble is that the strike rate for trawling through it all is much lower and it's a much bigger music universe.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Looks like I do need to do a Best of 2016 podcast :lol
You better not exclude Flotsam & Jetsam again! That is unless Chicago or Barnsey released a new album this year! ;D